Best College Basketball Name Yet

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Re: Best College Basketball Name Yet

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

And the major checks out as well! "Exploratory studies." Oddly she doesn't have a mustache, pirate hat or wooden leg. Although to be fair, I'm guessing that is her costume every year for Halloween.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

She's quite the prize. 😉
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago And the major checks out as well! "Exploratory studies." Oddly she doesn't have a mustache, pirate hat or wooden leg. Although to be fair, I'm guessing that is her costume every year for Halloween.
Lots of good schools have exploratory studies. Sometimes it's another name but it is essentially a placeholder while a (usually) freshman figures out their final course of studies.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago And the major checks out as well! "Exploratory studies." Oddly she doesn't have a mustache, pirate hat or wooden leg. Although to be fair, I'm guessing that is her costume every year for Halloween.
Lots of good schools have exploratory studies. Sometimes it's another name but it is essentially a placeholder while a (usually) freshman figures out their final course of studies.
It used to be called “undecided.”
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
It used to be called “undecided.”
Somewhere along the way, an undecided student got offended for the "major shaming".
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The best name ever was Scientific Mapp
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago The best name ever was Scientific Mapp
Ok I agree...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/funnynames ... egacy/amp/
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't know. Treasure Hunt, majoring in Exploratory Studies is tough to beat.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

His brother was named Majestic Mapp.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the NY Times............

The Journey of Majestic Mapp
By Pete Thamel
March 12, 2005
CARROLLTON, Ga. - The quintessential New York City basketball dream began in the perfect place, amid the salty breeze of Coney Island.

Edward Mapp took his 6-year-old son, Majestic, down to the carnival booths, propped him up on a box and let him shoot baskets. Majestic swished all five through the net, winning a giant teddy bear.

From then on, Edward Mapp took little Majestic out every day to the playgrounds near the Douglass Houses on Manhattan's Upper West Side, where he shot 500 jumpers a day. His form was perfect, just like the dream.

Mapp blossomed into the best player in New York, starring for four seasons at St. Raymond's in the Bronx. He was selected for the McDonald's All-American team.

After being recruited by several colleges, Mapp chose the University of Virginia. He planned to play there for three years, earn his degree and then complete his dream by shaking David Stern's hand at the National Basketball Association draft and signing a multimillion-dollar contract.

Dig deeper into the moment.

But Mapp's journey involved a major detour when he injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the summer of 2000. Instead of driving a tricked-out sport utility vehicle and hopscotching the country on charter flights, Mapp tools around tiny Carrollton in a maroon 1997 Buick Century with a cracked windshield. In his sixth year of college, Mapp plays for the University of West Georgia, and his team weaves through sleepy Southern towns on a bus.

It took five operations before Mapp's knee finally healed. But his story is not the conventional melodrama of an athlete who falls apart after his dream is dashed. Instead, his is a tale of an opportunity exploited: Mapp, now 23, earned two degrees from Virginia, an undergraduate degree in economics and a graduate degree in education.

And now he is living in a one-bedroom apartment with bare walls, giving college basketball one final shot so he can avoid a nagging question. "I didn't want to end up," he said, "with everyone saying, 'What ever happened to Majestic?"'

I jump stop, pause,

like a DVD

Silence as if I was sleeping like a baby

hear a loud pop; gun shot

it was my knee

-- From Majestic Mapp's poem, "My Downfall," 1/17/02
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
From the NY Times............

The Journey of Majestic Mapp
By Pete Thamel
March 12, 2005
CARROLLTON, Ga. - The quintessential New York City basketball dream began in the perfect place, amid the salty breeze of Coney Island.

Edward Mapp took his 6-year-old son, Majestic, down to the carnival booths, propped him up on a box and let him shoot baskets. Majestic swished all five through the net, winning a giant teddy bear.

From then on, Edward Mapp took little Majestic out every day to the playgrounds near the Douglass Houses on Manhattan's Upper West Side, where he shot 500 jumpers a day. His form was perfect, just like the dream.

Mapp blossomed into the best player in New York, starring for four seasons at St. Raymond's in the Bronx. He was selected for the McDonald's All-American team.

After being recruited by several colleges, Mapp chose the University of Virginia. He planned to play there for three years, earn his degree and then complete his dream by shaking David Stern's hand at the National Basketball Association draft and signing a multimillion-dollar contract.

Dig deeper into the moment.

But Mapp's journey involved a major detour when he injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the summer of 2000. Instead of driving a tricked-out sport utility vehicle and hopscotching the country on charter flights, Mapp tools around tiny Carrollton in a maroon 1997 Buick Century with a cracked windshield. In his sixth year of college, Mapp plays for the University of West Georgia, and his team weaves through sleepy Southern towns on a bus.

It took five operations before Mapp's knee finally healed. But his story is not the conventional melodrama of an athlete who falls apart after his dream is dashed. Instead, his is a tale of an opportunity exploited: Mapp, now 23, earned two degrees from Virginia, an undergraduate degree in economics and a graduate degree in education.

And now he is living in a one-bedroom apartment with bare walls, giving college basketball one final shot so he can avoid a nagging question. "I didn't want to end up," he said, "with everyone saying, 'What ever happened to Majestic?"'

I jump stop, pause,

like a DVD

Silence as if I was sleeping like a baby

hear a loud pop; gun shot

it was my knee

-- From Majestic Mapp's poem, "My Downfall," 1/17/02
I love stories like this about kids seeing things thru, despite adversity
0 x