Sheppard

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Sheppard

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I was told there was a strong chance he was coming back a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to get too excited until I saw it was official. This is awesome news!!

Top 3 on paper with no Betrand? Umm, how? I love every offseason when people on here make our team and our players out to be much better than they are. Let's get another immediate impact player, and I'll start to get excited!
Betrand??? How does he play anything into how well we do? He was horrible.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Solid core for next year. The big question is how it all comes together. I'm interested in how not having Fatts as the main offensive go-to will change things. Does someone emerge has the alpha or do we end up with a more balanced approach?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I told you! Let’s go!
0 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago ;) Boom! Nailed it.
I think Shep is your starting 1. Disagree on peoples take that he’s not a true PG. Shep and Ish make a talented, unselfish backcourt. My optimism on next year jumped a bit....
Disagree. I think Shep is a great 2G and we need a star PG. Shep reminds me of Cat.

I agree. It's great to have Shep back but I'd like to see us get one more guard; preferably a PG. Go with Shep and Ish off the ball.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This year will be an even more dangerous Shep without Fatts.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Still think Cox needs a point guard. I think Shep is a great 2G.
I think he's fine at the 1 or 2, as long as the other guard(s) can shoot. I don't think Sheppard is incredible at driving to the hoop, but if the other guards can space the floor, the spacing will just be so much better than this year's team.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Awesome news. I’m conflicted on Fatts bc obviously he can comeback still but is that best for him or us? Was he hurt? Idk.

I hope Cox is decisive this off season and they build a little more discipline into the program and get healthy. Should be good! It’s uri basketball!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Still think Cox needs a point guard. I think Shep is a great 2G.
I think he's fine at the 1 or 2, as long as the other guard(s) can shoot. I don't think Sheppard is incredible at driving to the hoop, but if the other guards can space the floor, the spacing will just be so much better than this year's team.
Shep is great at the 2. We need a point guard who is pass first, assist first. Like Dowtin.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Good news. Look forward to seeing shep out of fatts shadow and getting more shots. Hopefully a sign of good things to come in 2021-22
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Shep is great at the 2. We need a point guard who is pass first, assist first. Like Dowtin.
We have no idea how Sheppard would be as a PG because Fatts initiated 70% (or more) of offensive possessions last year. I think he will be more than adequate with Ish. Also not forgetting about Carey who will be better imo.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Welcome back Shep!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

We have no idea how Sheppard would be as a PG because Fatts initiated 70% (or more) of offensive possessions last year. I think he will be more than adequate with Ish. Also not forgetting about Carey who will be better imo.
Did you just say Carey? LOL. Yeah, great cheerleader on the bench. So now you want Shep, who played great as a 2G, to move over to PG because Fatts is gone? I bet you wanted Fatts to take PG over Dowtin just because.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Great news but am still very worried about the coaching...........
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Did you just say Carey? LOL. Yeah, great cheerleader on the bench. So now you want Shep, who played great as a 2G, to move over to PG because Fatts is gone? I bet you wanted Fatts to take PG over Dowtin just because.
Maybe the guy who led the AAC in assist to turnover ratio as a freshmen is a good PG? Maybe he was a good 2G but would be an excellent PG? We don’t know because he played with a ball dominant PG last year. I didn’t want Fatts to take over for Dowtin “just because” - I wanted that so that Jeff would get more shots because Fatts was a liability as a shooter. Jeff’s shot attempts increased significantly as a 2G, should have been even more because he was the better scorer. He was also the better PG and a better overall player.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Make that extremely worried.......

Will the NCAA allow graduate volunteer assistant coaches?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe the guy who led the AAC in assist to turnover ratio as a freshmen is a good PG? Maybe he was a good 2G but would be an excellent PG? We don’t know because he played with a ball dominant PG last year. I didn’t want Fatts to take over for Dowtin “just because” - I wanted that so that Jeff would get more shots because Fatts was a liability as a shooter. Jeff’s shot attempts increased significantly as a 2G, should have been even more because he was the better scorer. He was also the better PG and a better overall player.
It didn't work. We have not danced in 3 years
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago I was told there was a strong chance he was coming back a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to get too excited until I saw it was official. This is awesome news!!

Top 3 on paper with no Betrand? Umm, how? I love every offseason when people on here make our team and our players out to be much better than they are. Let's get another immediate impact player, and I'll start to get excited!
We once again disagree. It's hard for any player to come in and find a role 8 games into a season after transferring to a team full of new faces. Did he have plenty of ugly moments? 100%. Do I see the talent and think he could be a solid scorer on our team? 100%... He was one of the few bright spots against Dayton until he got hurt. I thought he looked a lot more comfortable out there as one of the offense's focal points with Shep out. I was told the same thing about Antwan Walker when I said I expect him to have a much better 2nd year. We will never know but if there was one transfer that I thought could have been a much better player next season it was Betrand.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago ;) Boom! Nailed it.
I think Shep is your starting 1. Disagree on peoples take that he’s not a true PG. Shep and Ish make a talented, unselfish backcourt. My optimism on next year jumped a bit....
Leggett
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

It didn't work. We have not danced in 3 years
Turns out the shot happy PG who can’t shoot is not a good thing. At least Carey won’t try to put up 15 shots a game.

In all seriousness - I am not opposed to bringing in a really good PG, just saying that Jeremy was a really good point guard as a freshmen at ECU.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I tend to agree with Rhodylaw. I know everybody’s talking about finding a PG for next year, but I almost think the bigger need is a scoring wing. I like shep and ish in the backcourt, but you still need that alpha, go-to scorer. Without AB, who I expected to bounce back next year (prior to injury) we need somebody who can consistently score 15 points a game within the flow of the offense. Easier said than done though.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, I think Carey just hit rock bottom and was completely in his head for most of the year. He actually had some solid games early on. After the first 5 games, Carey was averaging close to 10 pts a game which is crazy to me... I really hope with a fresh start, and I'm assuming an offseason of focusing on his handle and shot he'll be better for us. He would randomly throw down a big dunk or block a shot and remind us why he was regarded as a high major player.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

We once again disagree. It's hard for any player to come in and find a role 8 games into a season after transferring to a team full of new faces. Did he have plenty of ugly moments? 100%. Do I see the talent and think he could be a solid scorer on our team? 100%... He was one of the few bright spots against Dayton until he got hurt. I thought he looked a lot more comfortable out there as one of the offense's focal points with Shep out. I was told the same thing about Antwan Walker when I said I expect him to have a much better 2nd year. We will never know but if there was one transfer that I thought could have been a much better player next season it was Betrand.
With Jeremy back, replacing Bertrand is key. Need another wing with Martin. There is reason we were first to contact Cam Fletcher. Would love to see us go after Earl Timberlake as well.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago I tend to agree with Rhodylaw. I know everybody’s talking about finding a PG for next year, but I almost think the bigger need is a scoring wing. I like shep and ish in the backcourt, but you still need that alpha, go-to scorer. Without AB, who I expected to bounce back next year (prior to injury) we need somebody who can consistently score 15 points a game within the flow of the offense. Easier said than done though.
The alpha go to scorer is Shep right now. AB? cmon man. he was invisible this year.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago I tend to agree with Rhodylaw. I know everybody’s talking about finding a PG for next year, but I almost think the bigger need is a scoring wing. I like shep and ish in the backcourt, but you still need that alpha, go-to scorer. Without AB, who I expected to bounce back next year (prior to injury) we need somebody who can consistently score 15 points a game within the flow of the offense. Easier said than done though.
The alpha go to scorer is Shep right now. AB? cmon man. he was invisible this year.
Agree with your comment on Sheppard. I wouldn’t be upset if he averaged 20 shots a game next year. Love the kids game.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe we'll gel by next season.....
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Ya, I think Carey just hit rock bottom and was completely in his head for most of the year. He actually had some solid games early on. After the first 5 games, Carey was averaging close to 10 pts a game which is crazy to me... I really hope with a fresh start, and I'm assuming an offseason of focusing on his handle and shot he'll be better for us. He would randomly throw down a big dunk or block a shot and remind us why he was regarded as a high major player.
Oddly, I'm kind of pessimistic for the same reasons, haha. I think his numbers fell off because teams were able to scout him after those first couple of games. I think there could be some improvement from him anyway, because he'll be a year older and the team's spacing might be improved, but I think he's at best a guy who can take 10 to 15 minutes a game, because of his turnovers and lack of shooting.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .....good news for sure.......but I am guarding against going gaga over this......as we were 10th in the conference........do not see how this alone catapult us to the top......
Absolutely this.

Saying we are top 3 on paper after that abomination of a season is crazy talk and just setting us up for disappointment.

Let the chips fall as there will be plenty more roster movement within the conference.
Has a lot to do with what’s happening to the other teams in the conference then necessarily us being an all star squad. SBU and VCU are far and away your top 2, then:

STL - lost a majority of their starters who were seniors
RICH - same as above
Dayton - same as above
Umass - program looked to be trending up but lost everyone

Now that’s not to say those teams listed don’t have other good returning players to help them compete and make it interesting, but URI is returning far and away more talent/roster continuity. That’s on top of being the only one of the teams here to beat both SBU and VCU
Davidson - kellen Grady is gone
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good news on Shep but I am not buying the top 3 argument as well . Give us a couple more pieces then maybe
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......one of those pieces needs to the improved coaching element......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .....good news for sure.......but I am guarding against going gaga over this......as we were 10th in the conference........do not see how this alone catapult us to the top......
Absolutely this.

Saying we are top 3 on paper after that abomination of a season is crazy talk and just setting us up for disappointment.

Let the chips fall as there will be plenty more roster movement within the conference.
Has a lot to do with what’s happening to the other teams in the conference then necessarily us being an all star squad. SBU and VCU are far and away your top 2, then:

STL - lost a majority of their starters who were seniors
RICH - same as above
Dayton - same as above
Umass - program looked to be trending up but lost everyone

Now that’s not to say those teams listed don’t have other good returning players to help them compete and make it interesting, but URI is returning far and away more talent/roster continuity. That’s on top of being the only one of the teams here to beat both SBU and VCU
Davidson - kellen Grady is gone
Much may depend on what seniors from the above schools decide to come back.

St. Louis - Top point guard Collins and all A10 player Perkins (post grad) return. Plus great shooter Jimerson and they have big man Okoro who transferred from Oregon ( part time starter there) and red shirted last year. They also have about 4 other players that will get significant playing time.

Dayton - Return Weaver, Amzil, Nwokeji (who put up 29 against us) and several other promising freshman.
Cohill also comes back after sitting out last season with knee surgery. Plus they have the #1 recruiting class in the A10 and their best ever, highlighted by DeRon Holmes.

Davidson - They always give us problems regardless, they return Lee and big man Brajkovic.

We may the most most depth returning aside from VCU and the Bonnies but not necessarily the star power.
Ours guy have been extremely inconsistent throughout the season, maybe the extra year of playing together will help.
They need to step up their game on a regular basis.
Also the big question mark is how will this staff improve over the coming year.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago
Agree with your comment on Sheppard. I wouldn’t be upset if he averaged 20 shots a game next year. Love the kids game.
Agree, he shot over 39% on four 3-point attempts per game this season. If he doubles that while losing a little efficiency due to taking some tougher shots and winds up 36-37% on 8 attempts, that would be tremendous. And that increase would basically be taking the place of Fatts' 4.4 3-point attempts/game this season at his rate of 23(!)%

Edit: and to address the 1 vs 2 issue, he is a passable ball-handler and I like him having the ball in the half-court. But for bringing the ball up full court I may go with a more natural PG. Shep is also great at back-cuts from the wing and finishes surprising well for his size, so he is certainly a weapon even without the ball.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Fatts was taking 12-15 shots a game as the PG. imagine if Sheppard took that many shots how many more would have gone in. Again, if they bring in an experienced PG I am not upset about it, but I truly think Sheppard and Ish can handle the load and would have no issue if the bring ina freshmen PG to develop or a really good wing player to be what we expected AB would be next year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good news on Sheppard, but agree we need more...if we get more, then there are no more excuses.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You have to factor in Shepp being scouted better and also being the focal point of our opponents with Fatts gone. Can’t just project his stats out based on last season when for half the year he probably didn’t even register with opposing coaches for extra attention. Fatts drew attention and made it easier for others. Shepp will become that guy now but with more usage and more attention his efficiency will likely come down.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Good news on Sheppard, but agree we need more...if we get more, then there are no more excuses.
There are already no excuses, this is Cox' roster. If the roster isn't good enough that means he hasn't done a good enough job in recruitment, retainment, and development
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

You could also say, Fatts drew attention and took a shot that Shep should have taken, aka a 3 pointer.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We need a PG who makes teammates better. I give the edge to Ish over Shepp. URI needs Shepp as an outside shooter and not as a PG who is looking for his shot first.

We have two 4* players who have never achieved their expected potential as college players. It is up to Jalen and Jermaine to break through. Neither has a starting job waiting for them as they probably thought going into last season. Jalen actually started the first few games this year and Jermaine started every game the previous two seasons. Cox should have a serious talk to both before renewing their scholarships to determine whether they are serious about playing college basketball.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago You have to factor in Shepp being scouted better and also being the focal point of our opponents with Fatts gone. Can’t just project his stats out based on last season when for half the year he probably didn’t even register with opposing coaches for extra attention. Fatts drew attention and made it easier for others. Shepp will become that guy now but with more usage and more attention his efficiency will likely come down.
Well he was never one to force things. Efficiency may stay the same regardless, but I agree. That's why we need a big impact transfer guard. Probably our only hope.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s hope for Sheps buddy from VMI that would be 3 guards that can score to add to Ish and Shep
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Great news about Sheppard!
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Really happy about this. One thing I noticed was how much more effort Sheppard put into his defense the second half of the year.
Glad to have him back.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It is up to Jalen and Jermaine to break through.
Not happening.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago
Not happening.
Walker and Sheppard are the most skilled offensive players on the roster. Walker can do a lot of different things at his size. Sheppard's quickness and shooting are outstanding.

With that said, I'll say this about Jalen Carey. He's not basketball-skilled, he's not a shooter, and he doesn't see the entire court very well for a point guard. He is however the best pure athlete on the roster. Just like you can't teach size...you can teach athleticism. The best POTENTIAL comparison that comes to mind when I watch him is that he could become like (a poor man's) Rajon Rondo when he was at Kentucky. There's no reason he can't defend, distribute, push it, and get into the paint (to either finish with a little pull-up or dish) at a high level. I don't think he'll ever be 3-point shooter and he'll struggle in tempo-controlled games. He has to learn not to over penetrate.

My concern is whether he can develop this off-season with this staff. The kid has some tools (that's why he was a high-level recruit)...but he just doesn't know what his tools are. Coaches need to tell him what his tools are and then they need to show him how to use those tools. Can they do it?

We've all seen college kids who woulda/coulda/shoulda on the court...hope he's not one of those.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^ I hope you're right, we could sure use him in a role as you describe. Would fill in some of the gap created with Fatts' departure. As a matter of fact, you pretty much are describing Fatts.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am trying hard to forget Carey, at best he is not a point guard, nor a shooting guard, he is a quick, undersized 3 who can't shoot, turns it over consistently , has zero basketball instincts-

in other words, both us and him will be better off if he can find greener grass elsewhere! ( Still waiting for his first floor burn for diving after a loose ball)

The fact that it took Cox almost a complete season to get him to the end of the bench tells us a lot about Cox.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I think it would be a mistake to give up on Carey - He has elite athleticism & the time to develop into a very good player with 3 years of eligibility remaining
6 x
Clapton is God
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago

I am trying hard to forget Carey, at best he is not a point guard, nor a shooting guard, he is a quick, undersized 3 who can't shoot, turns it over consistently , has zero basketball instincts-

in other words, both us and him will be better off if he can find greener grass elsewhere! ( Still waiting for his first floor burn for diving after a loose ball)

The fact that it took Cox almost a complete season to get him to the end of the bench tells us a lot about Cox.
That he’s not a knee jerk coach, and believes in his kids? Shame on him. Awful human!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago
Not happening.
Walker and Sheppard are the most skilled offensive players on the roster. Walker can do a lot of different things at his size. Sheppard's quickness and shooting are outstanding.

With that said, I'll say this about Jalen Carey. He's not basketball-skilled, he's not a shooter, and he doesn't see the entire court very well for a point guard. He is however the best pure athlete on the roster. Just like you can't teach size...you can teach athleticism. The best POTENTIAL comparison that comes to mind when I watch him is that he could become like (a poor man's) Rajon Rondo when he was at Kentucky. There's no reason he can't defend, distribute, push it, and get into the paint (to either finish with a little pull-up or dish) at a high level. I don't think he'll ever be 3-point shooter and he'll struggle in tempo-controlled games. He has to learn not to over penetrate.

My concern is whether he can develop this off-season with this staff. The kid has some tools (that's why he was a high-level recruit)...but he just doesn't know what his tools are. Coaches need to tell him what his tools are and then they need to show him how to use those tools. Can they do it?

We've all seen college kids who woulda/coulda/shoulda on the court...hope he's not one of those.
And this is why our roster is so flawed. Our coach thinks you can't teach athleticism and just reflexively goes after every athlete in sight, yet overlooks basketball players, resulting in us not even reaching out to the A10 rookie of the year who lives 50 minutes away from the Ryan Center and is currently in the transfer portal
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
McRam wrote: 3 years ago

That he’s not a knee jerk coach, and believes in his kids? Shame on him. Awful human!
Or he's worse with game management then your average message board poster here, but keep carrying that water
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

Not happening.

And this is why our roster is so flawed. Our coach thinks you can't teach athleticism and just reflexively goes after every athlete in sight, yet overlooks basketball players, resulting in us not even reaching out to the A10 rookie of the year who lives 50 minutes away from the Ryan Center and is currently in the transfer portal
I would agree with your assessment of URI's roster. A collection of great athletes does not make a great basketball team and it doesn't mean URI's roster is "talented" as people like to claim it is on this board. Instead, a team of strictly athletes looks like a team playing pick-up ball down at the Y. That's what we saw too often this year.

1) The raw athletes that are recruited need to be molded into actual basketball players. That's done in the off-season. (ex: Kyle Ivey-Jones, Luther Clay)
2) The athletes that are recruited need to learn the game of basketball: time/score, who to look for and where...and when (ex: Carlos Easterling, Abdul Fox)
3) Mix in more specialized and less athletic players on the roster who fill roles and understand what they can/can't do. (ex: Joshua King, Jeff Kent, Damont Collins)
1 x