Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Uh yes.

Just because theyre in the Big East doesn't mean that it's automatically a better move.

Seton Hall will be dog shit next year without Mamu, Reynolds, Aiken and Cale.

They are middle of the road at best with Fatts.

He has beaten them twice while at Rhody.

Oh wow Fatts would be on FS1 a lot on an afterthought Big East team that nobody outside of the northeast knows anything about.

Going there is practically the same as staying here.

No way he goes there anyway considering the list of schools that have actually said they are interested.
There is a big difference between getting looks than serious interest or offers.
What would be the best fit for him, how big a role, floor time?
Being a 5th year player, he wants to go where he can make an impact.
Playing in the BE he would get much more National Exposure than in the A10.
Also Seton Hall is only an hour from his home in Philly.

He will probably have several options including overseas.
I also included Penn State as a possibility along with others.

I am sure he is getting alot of advise from his inner circle, and hopefully he will make the best decision for his future.
He will get more National Exposure? How so? Wasn't he on the pre-season Naismith Trophy Player of the Year watch list? How does the nbe help with that?
Seriously?
The list of pre-season NPOY candidates is extremely long, and he wasn't in serious consideration
You feel the exposure of playing in the BE and A10 is the same?
The NET of BE averaged 3-4, well ahead of the A10, tougher in-conference competition.
Why did UConn join the BE?

I don't know how much interest Fatts has in Seton Hall but it make a lot of sense for them to reach out to him.
It is a position of need for them and I wouldn't be shocked if he shows some interest in them.

If he can get big minutes and make an impact at a premier program, great for him, go for it

After 4 years here maybe he just wants a change of scenery and play in one of the top conferences and see how he can perform.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

There is a big difference between getting looks than serious interest or offers.

I am sure he is getting alot of advise from his inner circle, and hopefully he will make the best decision for his future.
He will get more National Exposure? How so? Wasn't he on the pre-season Naismith Trophy Player of the Year watch list? How does the nbe help with that?
Seriously?
The list of pre-season NPOY candidates is extremely long, and he wasn't in serious consideration
The NET of BE averaged 3-4, well ahead of the A10, tougher in-conference competition.

I don't know how much interest Fatts has in Seton Hall but it make a lot of sense for them to reach out to him.
It is a position of need for them and I wouldn't be shocked if he shows some interest in them.

If he can get big minutes and make an impact at a premier program, great for him, go for it

After 4 years here maybe he just wants a change of scenery and play in one of the top conferences and see how he can perform.
Umm, the preseason Naismith had 50 players. A10 had 3 and the nbe had 5. A premier program? Carlesimo ain't walking through that door.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Seriously?

Umm, the preseason Naismith had 50 players. A10 had 3 and the nbe had 5. A premier program? Carlesimo ain't walking through that door.
I didn't insinuate that Seton Hall was one of those premier programs, there were others that were previously mentioned.
If he is a good fit for those other schools, good for him
I can understand why schools like Seton Hall and Penn State would reach out, and why he may consider them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seriously?

I didn't insinuate that Seton Hall was one of those premier programs, there were others that were previously mentioned.
I can understand why schools like Seton Hall and Penn State would reach out, and why he may consider them.
Well good thing, cause Seton Hall is not a premier program.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I know that all too well, I grew up and went to HS a mile from their campus.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Your point about exposure in the nbe vs A10 is just junk.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree
The BE is a high-major and will get more attention than the A10 a mid-major.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Let's see how many wins they get. My bracket always looks good when I go against nbe. High Major? You sound more like a friar fan than a URI fan. Maybe a uconn fan? In any event, keep your nbe blinders on.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Let's see how many wins they get. My bracket always looks good when I go against nbe. High Major? You sound more like a friar fan than a URI fan. Maybe a uconn fan? In any event, keep your nbe blinders on.
I actually defend the A10 and feel they get short changed by the committee.
I always hated PC and disliked UConn because of our rivalry.
But I still feel that the BE is a step up from the A10, and I will always be a Rhody fan regardless of the coaches and players.
I do hope some day that both conferences are on even ground, but not there yet.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

These are Fatts stats the last 3 years its time to move on this is not AAU both he and Cox need to learn that!! He will never be a URI Legend not close!!!
Look at those shooting percentages. I don't want to hear he played hard that is the minimum!!!

I also might add his teams record when he was the so called leader was marginal I think we can go 10-15 without him!!

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
32 32 34.1 4.7-13.8 33.8 1.3-5.6 22.3 3.6-4.9 73.7 0.6 2.2 2.7 3.7 0.3 1.8 2.5 2.3 14.2
30 29 35.7 6.0-15.5 38.8 2.0-5.6 35.7 4.8-5.9 82.4 0.7 2.8 3.4 4.6 0.2 2.9 2.8 2.2 18.8
23 19 33.2 4.1-12.1 33.7 1.0-4.4 23.5 5.5-6.9 79.9 0.4 4.1 4.5 4.5 0.1 1.9 2.0 2.3 14.7
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I still stand by my opinion, that if Cox isn't fired, he still should not get an extension.

If he earns it next season, he'll get one then.

Or he will be fired for sure.

I think by now, Cox is well aware of what he has to do next season to keep his job.
Rambone I think there is no choice but to extend him. Can't just leave him hanging. We'll know by this time next year wether he stays or goes.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

As for Fatts, he's given his all for 4 years here, and it is time for him, and URI, to move on. I wish him success wherever he lands.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago These are Fatts stats the last 3 years its time to move on this is not AAU both he and Cox need to learn that!! He will never be a URI Legend not close!!!
Look at those shooting percentages. I don't want to hear he played hard that is the minimum!!!

I also might add his teams record when he was the so called leader was marginal I think we can go 10-15 without him!!

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
32 32 34.1 4.7-13.8 33.8 1.3-5.6 22.3 3.6-4.9 73.7 0.6 2.2 2.7 3.7 0.3 1.8 2.5 2.3 14.2
30 29 35.7 6.0-15.5 38.8 2.0-5.6 35.7 4.8-5.9 82.4 0.7 2.8 3.4 4.6 0.2 2.9 2.8 2.2 18.8
23 19 33.2 4.1-12.1 33.7 1.0-4.4 23.5 5.5-6.9 79.9 0.4 4.1 4.5 4.5 0.1 1.9 2.0 2.3 14.7
Will be a legend because of his charisma and lightning quickness on D alone.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No extensor David Cox doesn’t deserve it !!
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I'm pretty sick of our best players leaving. Whos next?
You’re sick of players playing 4 full years here?

It’s a completely different year with a completely new rule.

Nobody expected him back here anyways.

As long as he doesn’t play against us next season, I hope he kills it.
Agree completely. Was anyone seriously thinking about him coming back anyway? I hope he does well wherever he goes and it is best for both parties as URI wasn’t winning if he returned anyway. We need to start from scratch and Fatts can get an opportunity to make the tourney one last time and should take it. I have been on him at times for the way he plays and his shot selection, but he gave URI all he had and stayed after last year when almost the whole team transferred. Time to move on and wish Fatts good luck!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ultimately I want to see him succeed, but just wait until he puts on a new college jersey, with a new school, new fans ect. It’s gonna suck.
0 x
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I wish Fatts the best & thank him for his 4 years here at URI! He was a competitor. He may not of been a great leader, but he was an entertaining player to watch and I have some good memories of him in the NCAA Tournament as well as against PC. It's just a shame that we don't appear to have a coach who knows how to instill discipline within a team on the court (defensive discipline, offensive sets, etc) & can get players to buy into being in certain roles.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am in the position of being full-in rooting for UConn this March, which would be completely unfathomable to 2017 me if you could somehow go back in time and try to explain that one. It took me a long time to get there with Dan. It won’t take me more than 2 minutes to get there with Fatts - if he ends up at Michigan next year or basically anywhere outside of the state and the A10, I will be full-in for him and his new team. Wherever he is next year I’ll be rooting for him and wish him nothing but the best.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Uh yes.

Just because theyre in the Big East doesn't mean that it's automatically a better move.

Seton Hall will be dog shit next year without Mamu, Reynolds, Aiken and Cale.

They are middle of the road at best with Fatts.

He has beaten them twice while at Rhody.

Oh wow Fatts would be on FS1 a lot on an afterthought Big East team that nobody outside of the northeast knows anything about.

Going there is practically the same as staying here.

No way he goes there anyway considering the list of schools that have actually said they are interested.

There is nothing more overrated than the concept of exposure in college hoops. The Ugandan C league knows who Fatts Russell and his game. Playing one more year will do nothing for him, pro career wise, other than subtract 12 months from his finite lifetime basketball earnings perspective. To the extent he wants to go after a high major league title, enjoy college, grab some grad credits, or maybe shoot for a Final Four, I respect the hell out of that. Because, like I said, there only some many good years in the holster. But, no, playing for UConn or wherever next year does not help pro prospects. Pro leagues are much too smart and informed these days to be surprised by a 5th year guy coming out of the blue. URI is not some backwater team.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago

There is nothing more overrated than the concept of exposure in college hoops. The Ugandan C league knows who Fatts Russell and his game. Playing one more year will do nothing for him, pro career wise, other than subtract 12 months from his finite lifetime basketball earnings perspective. To the extent he wants to go after a high major league title, enjoy college, grab some grad credits, or maybe shoot for a Final Four, I respect the hell out of that. Because, like I said, there only some many good years in the holster. But, no, playing for UConn or wherever next year does not help pro prospects. Pro leagues are much too smart and informed these days to be surprised by a 5th year guy coming out of the blue. URI is not some backwater team.
Fatts is leaving all his options open, which is smart of him

Nothing wrong with a change of scenery testing his ability on a bigger stage, in a new system, under a different coach.

If he isn't excited by the opportunities from other schools, he can always take his chances overseas.
0 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Mark my words ; Fatts will have the last laugh on all of.
the. " Nattering Nabobs of Negativism " to quote Spiro Agnew on this forum . All the best Fatts and thanks for the great memories esp. against. PeeCee !!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I still stand by my opinion, that if Cox isn't fired, he still should not get an extension.

If he earns it next season, he'll get one then.

Or he will be fired for sure.

I think by now, Cox is well aware of what he has to do next season to keep his job.
Rambone I think there is no choice but to extend him. Can't just leave him hanging. We'll know by this time next year wether he stays or goes.
We can't afford to increase his buyout. Either fire him now or let him coach under his present contract
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

To extend him is to commit a leap of faith that is not warranted.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Been off for a couple of days. I was surprised to see Fatts in the portal - I didn't expect him back at Rhody, I expected him to move on to a pro career. Of course I kind of assumed the free extra year meant that you couldn't transfer.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

No inside knowledge, just conjecture. I wonder if the pandemic is making it tougher to consider heading overseas this year. My guess is that Fatts would not be in the transfer portal in a typical season.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago No inside knowledge, just conjecture. I wonder if the pandemic is making it tougher to consider heading overseas this year. My guess is that Fatts would not be in the transfer portal in a typical season.
Yeah he wouldn't because he wouldn't have any eligibility left.

But you right
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Been off for a couple of days. I was surprised to see Fatts in the portal - I didn't expect him back at Rhody, I expected him to move on to a pro career. Of course I kind of assumed the free extra year meant that you couldn't transfer.
He's graduating.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago No inside knowledge, just conjecture. I wonder if the pandemic is making it tougher to consider heading overseas this year. My guess is that Fatts would not be in the transfer portal in a typical season.
Yeah he wouldn't because he wouldn't have any eligibility left.

But you right
I agree, many seniors may choose to stay for the additional year because of the pandemic concerns of being so far away, overseas.
Also some probably don't want to end their college experience playing in empty arenas.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Yes, my point maybe wasn’t best applied to Russell. I was speaking generally about guys returning to school vs. going overseas. When the NCAA first announced this extra year, I don’t think anyone really thought it would make much difference to current seniors. It was assumed most would still choose to move on. I think we are seeing that there aren’t as many options for guys who aren’t NBA material as we assumed there would be.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts' antics every off-season shows a lack of commitment to URI basketball and undermines his ability to lead. It's always been all about Fatts. For that reason he will never be one of my all-time favorites even though he has been an exciting player to watch.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts' antics every off-season shows a lack of commitment to URI basketball and undermines his ability to lead. It's always been all about Fatts. For that reason he will never be one of my all-time favorites even though he has been an exciting player to watch.
What!!! Couldn't disagree more
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

R72 he played 4 years and if he graduated what more could you possibly ask from the kid? His game is his game, and if anything he tried too hard to change it for the team. Any shortfall you see in Fatts lies squarely with the coaching he received.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts' antics every off-season shows a lack of commitment to URI basketball and undermines his ability to lead. It's always been all about Fatts. For that reason he will never be one of my all-time favorites even though he has been an exciting player to watch.
72 - I am usually more on your side lately but this a bad take. Kid never really made us sweat that he was transferring out. He was one of the most exciting players we have had in the last 20 years, even if he never became the most consistent player.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UCLA, Texas Tech, Auburn, Seton Hall latest to reach out to him.

So much for the “who would want him” crowd.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You are such an f’n clown.

I keep telling myself I won’t respond to someone with so little basketball knowledge and common sense, but it’s tough not to.

By the way, are you ever gonna explain WHY you think Cox deserves an extension and WHY he will be a great basketball COACH?
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will never understand why anyone responds to the troll.

He’s one of the best I’ve seen on the internet. Hat tip to him and condolences on a sad existence that this is his joy.

15 you single handedly provide this guy the juice to keep going. Please stop.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

72 - I am usually more on your side lately but this a bad take. Kid never really made us sweat that he was transferring out. He was one of the most exciting players we have had in the last 20 years, even if he never became the most consistent player.
My recollection is that Fatts' rumors about transferring or going pro occurred after every season here. I don't recall Fatts ever refuting the rumors. Cox had to convince Fatts to stay after DH departed. There hasn't been a single off-season when Fatts returning was a given. This doesn't help a program. Fatts was never a team player.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago UCLA, Texas Tech, Auburn, Seton Hall latest to reach out to him.

So much for the “who would want him” crowd.
He fits a role on a really good team, I think teams who want him as a lead PG will be disappointed.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

My recollection is that Fatts' rumors about transferring or going pro occurred after every season here. I don't recall Fatts ever refuting the rumors. Cox had to convince Fatts to stay after DH departed. There hasn't been a single off-season when Fatts returning was a given. This doesn't help a program. Fatts was never a team player.
Exactly. He did nothing for our team or program. He never played hurt. He never put the team on his back. He never had any big moments in the NCAA tournament. He stayed four years, but each year was allll about Fatts. He could care less about this team or program. The worst part of it all is he kept the ball out of arguably the best point guard in our program Jermaine Harris. If he were a team player, we would be watching our team playing in the NCAA Tournament right now.

The good news is we can now have a starting lineup of Harris, Samb, Walker, Mitchell, Mitchell next season. When I look at that lineup, two words immediately jump into my mind. FINAL FOUR! The key is keeping Cox, though. I'm sure several P5 teams are calling and begging Cox to consider them. Possibly even some NBA teams. If we are lucky enough to keep Cox for next year, I don't think anyone can touch us in the A10. The future is bright!
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Exactly. He did nothing for our team or program. He never played hurt. He never put the team on his back. He never had any big moments in the NCAA tournament. He stayed four years, but each year was allll about Fatts. He could care less about this team or program. The worst part of it all is he kept the ball out of arguably the best point guard in our program Jermaine Harris. If he were a team player, we would be watching our team playing in the NCAA Tournament right now.

The good news is we can now have a starting lineup of Harris, Samb, Walker, Mitchell, Mitchell next season. When I look at that lineup, two words immediately jump into my mind. FINAL FOUR! The key is keeping Cox, though. I'm sure several P5 teams are calling and begging Cox to consider them. Possibly even some NBA teams. If we are lucky enough to keep Cox for next year, I don't think anyone can touch us in the A10. The future is bright!
I think it’s finally time to completely ignore the biggest fucking idiot this board has ever seen.

72 is an absolute clown who knows ZERO about the game of basketball.

Hopefully he fades into oblivion, never to be heard from again.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Never refuted rumors huh? This Instagram caption weeks after Hurley left isn’t refuting him leaving?

You’re such an f’n loser.
Attachments
90711548-2AFD-43AC-A377-A4BED3A6B153.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Find me a player who doesn't play hurt. Perhaps certain players do a better job in the weight room and taking care of their bodies. Maybe they don't make a big deal about it. Maybe he got hurt because he was playing a reckless style of ball. Is that possible?

Big moments? I assume you're referring to 1 steal and 1 shot. Great steal...it was a bad shot selection that happened to go in. (I believe Stan Robinson was streaking for a dunk if Fatts had looked up for a teammate first.) It was just like a lot of the bad shots in his career. Just because it went in doesn't mean it was a good shot to take. (Ex: If I shoot a shot from mid-court with :25 on the shot clock up 7 with 15:00 left in the 1st and it goes in, does that make a good shot?)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Unfair to say he is defined by that 1 steal and three. He was the deciding factor in 2 PC wins, at least 1 VCU win maybe another. Single handedly kept us in the game at Morgantown with one of the better individual performances in recent memory. He’s had a few big moments.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The level of stupidity of some people never fails to amaze me. One can barely imagine what it must be like to be such a sad, miserable, pathetic, joyless loser.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

Find me a player who doesn't play hurt. Perhaps certain players do a better job in the weight room and taking care of their bodies. Maybe they don't make a big deal about it. Maybe he got hurt because he was playing a reckless style of ball. Is that possible?

Big moments? I assume you're referring to 1 steal and 1 shot. Great steal...it was a bad shot selection that happened to go in. (I believe Stan Robinson was streaking for a dunk if Fatts had looked up for a teammate first.) It was just like a lot of the bad shots in his career. Just because it went in doesn't mean it was a good shot to take. (Ex: If I shoot a shot from mid-court with :25 on the shot clock up 7 with 15:00 left in the 1st and it goes in, does that make a good shot?)
That one steal and the shot will go down as one of the best moments in the history of our program. Only Keaneyblue.com would have people like you that complain about it. But you're right he ended up with what 3 pts that game, right? That's all he did? That one play? Oh, wait... He actually had 15 pts for the game, hit multiple big shots, and did a great job defending one of the country's best players. He provided a huge spark for us in the second half scoring 11 pts, and then EC took us home in OT. Fatts was awesome that game. So, yes, I"m talking about one of our rare appearances in the NCAA tournament, and he was a huge part of our W as a freshman.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be interesting to see where Fatts lands , I don’t see him going to a top 10 team like Zags or Michigan and starting right away , I think more along the lines of a Seton Hall where he probably gets 30 minutes a night
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Last edited by STC 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I remember the big plays, but seriously? Fatts shot 33% from the floor and 23% from 3. Just saying.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

You might want to watch that replay again - Russell's shot after the steal was already in the air when Robinson and another player came into the picture. One of them would have had the rebound if he missed.

Here's the replay for you.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”