Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Fatts

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, I didn't see any improvement from Jeff once Fatts ran the point. If anything, I saw regression. Jeff always had a nice midrange game and could shoot the 3. His IQ made him dangerous on the offensive end.. Cox took that away from him.. He was much better as the lead point guard, which is where he's playing now.

As for Fatts playing the 2, we have no idea if that would have worked because we never saw it..I truly believe Fatts would have had a higher shooting % if he took smarter shots which Jeff would have created for him.
Last edited by steveystuds06 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Dowtin struggled playing off the ball.

That was obvious, and it didn't help the team either.

It was done to help Fatts. And keep him here.
It definitely hurt the team but that doesn’t mean Jeff didn’t get better because of it. Jeff was a very consistent PG and good distributor but his offensive game was limited. He is a better pro PG because of the time he worked on an uncomfortable part of his game, playing off the ball which is necessary in a pro offense.

I don’t think Cox did it to make Jeff a better player, he obviously did it to fit Fatts into the rotation as more than just a energy guy off the bench. Fatts needed a role on the roster and 2 guard wasn’t it. The ultimate problem with the experiment is he lack of growth in Fatt’s shooting. If he had become an average shooter it would have worked out fine. He just shot such a low percentage.
Limited????? It may have seemed limited, but only because he chose to look for others first. When nothing else was working, he was perfectly capable of running off eight or 10 points in a row. He was quick enough to get to the basket and a much more reliable outside shooter than certain others who shall remain nameless.
Just because the guy didn't drop 20 a game doesn't mean he's limited. Jeff could hit the 3, had a nice midrange, could finish well around the hoop with his length, and most importantly, did a fantastic job of getting guys around him easy baskets. Saying Jeff's offensive game was limited is ridiculous..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

You guys have to remember there isn't a "1" or a "2" in Cox's "system" - it's amorphous. It could be anyone running the point. That's why we turn the ball over so much. You have guys with no business handling the ball, trying to run an offense.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has his system, and he doesn't have the players to run it. But he tries to do it anyway.

Talk about back assward.

And stubborn...and stupid.....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox has his system, and he doesn't have the players to run it. But he tries to do it anyway.

Talk about back assward.

And stubborn...and stupid.....
He's running AAU basketball on a D1 team.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago You guys have to remember there isn't a "1" or a "2" in Cox's "system" - it's amorphous. It could be anyone running the point. That's why we turn the ball over so much. You have guys with no business handling the ball, trying to run an offense.
I don't necessarily think this is a bad strategy *IF* you have multiple ball handlers. If you don't, you get a year like this year.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago You guys have to remember there isn't a "1" or a "2" in Cox's "system" - it's amorphous. It could be anyone running the point. That's why we turn the ball over so much. You have guys with no business handling the ball, trying to run an offense.
I don't necessarily think this is a bad strategy *IF* you have multiple ball handlers. If you don't, you get a year like this year.
Totally fair debate.

Cox bases it off of what Houston used to do with CP3 and Harden. My point would be it never really worked at that level either...but you legit had 2 of the best offensive PG's in the world on that roster.

Just shows a lack of adjustments or a stubbornness to an idea.

Since we know we're stuck with him at least one more year, hopefully he breaks out of that.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well he needs at least another ball handler to do that. Two more would be ideal.

And someone with decent size.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Totally fair debate.

Cox bases it off of what Houston used to do with CP3 and Harden. My point would be it never really worked at that level either...but you legit had 2 of the best offensive PG's in the world on that roster.

Just shows a lack of adjustments or a stubbornness to an idea.

Since we know we're stuck with him at least one more year, hopefully he breaks out of that.
I think its hard to determine whether that's his style of multiple primary ball handlers or that was what he went to bc of the personnel. On some level there is an element here that is unique to Fatts' skill set - he's a scoring guard in an undersized PGs body. He doesn't have a natural position. He's best with the ball in his hands vs playing off the ball. He's not a catch and shoot guy. I agree taking the ball out of Jeff's hand was dumb, but I also see it's not as easy as telling Fatts to go play the 2 guard bc that doesn't seem like what he's best suited for either. So in trying to middle it he probably ended up with a weaker version of both. FWIW Jeff wasn't the primary ball handler on his high school team, Cowan from Maryland was...I believe. So it wasn't like Cox was asking Jeff to do anything he hadn't seen him do before, it's moreso that Fatts isn't really a PG.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It definitely hurt the team but that doesn’t mean Jeff didn’t get better because of it. Jeff was a very consistent PG and good distributor but his offensive game was limited. He is a better pro PG because of the time he worked on an uncomfortable part of his game, playing off the ball which is necessary in a pro offense.

I don’t think Cox did it to make Jeff a better player, he obviously did it to fit Fatts into the rotation as more than just a energy guy off the bench. Fatts needed a role on the roster and 2 guard wasn’t it. The ultimate problem with the experiment is he lack of growth in Fatt’s shooting. If he had become an average shooter it would have worked out fine. He just shot such a low percentage.
Honest question. Did you even watch Jeff his first two years here? Based on your comments it doesn't feel like you did
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
So it wasn't like Cox was asking Jeff to do anything he hadn't seen him do before, it's moreso that Fatts isn't really a PG.
Bingo! and not a leader
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Honest question. Did you even watch Jeff his first two years here? Based on your comments it doesn't feel like you did
I 100% watched Jeff here his first 2 years. I saw a guy who went from 150 total attempts as freshmen to 400 as a junior. That is a massive expansion of offense. You may not like to here it but he was not getting 400 shots as a junior as a PG. Just not happening. It made him a BETTER offensive player. Not that he sucked before, he was a very controlled player who made good decisions and made open shots. He also hit big shots and fts in conference tournament / NCAA tournament.

In his Junior year he started having to take and make more difficult shots on a more regular basis, because that is what he was asked to do playing the 2. He put up 400 shots that season. I don't know, I like the idea of the guy who is the better shooter putting up a lot of shots. It also made him a better overall player. Again, ultimately the problem with the system was that Fatts was 1. not a true pg and 2. not even an average shooting/scoring pg. I would have LOVED to see Jeff and Jeremy play together. Would not have mattered who was the 1 or the 2 in that scenario.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope Fatts is using this off time to heal his body. He dealt with a lot of injuries this past season. Hopefully he can get back to 100% fairly quickly now that the grind of playing, practicing, and frequent travel is over.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I hope Fatts is using this off time to heal his body. He dealt with a lot of injuries this past season. Hopefully he can get back to 100% fairly quickly now that the grind of playing, practicing, and frequent travel is over.
What does the basketball future hold for Fatts? I don't see him as an attractive pro prospect either here or overseas, His strengths are as a defensive disrupter, transition scorer and ball handler. This is not exactly what pro teams are looking for. He needs to become a better facilitator and outside shooter. He needs to get healthy, work on his shooting and come back to college basketball for a fifth year as a facilitator.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I hope Fatts is using this off time to heal his body. He dealt with a lot of injuries this past season. Hopefully he can get back to 100% fairly quickly now that the grind of playing, practicing, and frequent travel is over.
What does the basketball future hold for Fatts? I don't see him as an attractive pro prospect either here or overseas, His strengths are as a defensive disrupter, transition scorer and ball handler. This is not exactly what pro teams are looking for. He needs to become a better facilitator and outside shooter. He needs to get healthy, work on his shooting and come back to college basketball for a fifth year as a facilitator.
Professional teams aren’t look for a great defensive player who can handle the ball and score in a blur?

Also, Blake Vedder and Leven Shengelia played professional basketball overseas.

Why are you the way you are? Ridiculous take after ridiculous take.

I don’t care if you’re purposely trying to troll or not.

You provide zero knowledgeable insight on this board.
6 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Fatts has a pro career waiting for him oversees. He will likely be very good over there as well.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ya know what else professional teams like - guys people will pay to watch play. Fatts is someone people will pay to watch; love him or hate him he's an electric type of player. And agree with 15, have you seen the rosters of overseas teams? Fatts will most certainly get paid to play basketball.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
He’s moving on from college basketball. End of story.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Stop. Feeding. The. Troll.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Ya know what else professional teams like - guys people will pay to watch play. Fatts is someone people will pay to watch; love him or hate him he's an electric type of player. And agree with 15, have you seen the rosters of overseas teams? Fatts will most certainly get paid to play basketball.
Absolutely he will be a fan favorate and get paid a boatload probably
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Globetrotters.......😉
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI starts the twins and Walker next year and each averages 30 minutes/game, there is still 30 minutes of front court time available for a shooter. Obviously, time distribution will depend upon what is needed for a given opponent. I hope Shepp returns, otherwise we need help in the backcourt. We couldn't get JH, Jaylen, AB or AJ to step up last year and we can't count on any in our top 8 next year.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If URI starts the twins and Walker next year and each averages 30 minutes/game, there is still 30 minutes of front court time available for a shooter. Obviously, time distribution will depend upon what is needed for a given opponent. I hope Shepp returns, otherwise we need help in the backcourt. We couldn't get JH, Jaylen, AB or AJ to step up last year and we can't count on any in our top 8 next year.
This is all very presumptuous, not even knowing how well Makhi comes back after major knee surgery.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If URI starts the twins and Walker next year and each averages 30 minutes/game, there is still 30 minutes of front court time available for a shooter. Obviously, time distribution will depend upon what is needed for a given opponent. I hope Shepp returns, otherwise we need help in the backcourt. We couldn't get JH, Jaylen, AB or AJ to step up last year and we can't count on any in our top 8 next year.
That shooter's name is Jermaine Harris!!!! I can't wait to see him become our starting point guard next year. Throwing Antwan Walker in at the 3 makes plenty of sense to me. Will this be the best starting lineup of all time? 100%%%%!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need more than just Shep returning.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We need more than just Shep returning.
Need him to bring his buddy from VMI.
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

FATTS IS ENTERING THE TRANSFER PORTAL
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Yep, lol.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

Yep, lol.
Must be going to UConn.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

Yep, lol.
When he goes to UConn I want my credit!

Called this months ago.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

David Cox should be fired for fucking this up. No other reason he would find a new team and take the extra year. What a joke of a coach.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Really doesn’t bother me. Assumption was he graduated and was gone. And still a chance he leaves college, just seeing whats out there.

He accomplishes nothing else coming back here. Proven he can play at this level. Go see if you can do it at a P5
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Really doesn’t bother me. Assumption was he graduated and was gone. And still a chance he leaves college, just seeing whats out there.

He accomplishes nothing else coming back here. Proven he can play at this level. Go see if you can do it at a P5
I’ll bet 10000% Arkansas has already reached.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol on Fatts’ Instagram post saying goodbye, the first comment is from Tyrese saying “great move brotha man!”

Safe to say Tyrese isn’t a fan of us/Cox!
3 x
Go Rhody
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Fatts and Tyrese are also super close, adding to the long list of why UCONN makes sense
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Safe to say that Fatts doesn't think his best chance of playing professionally is staying another year with this coaching staff.

1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Fatts and Tyrese are also super close, adding to the long list of why UCONN makes sense
I got word of both of them being unhappy and considering options other than Rhody well before Rese made the announcement. Made a thread here and got flamed. There’s a high probability he lands in Storrs.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I saw this coming a mile away.

Fatts was injured
He thrives on fans, energy, and attention and got none of the above this past year
His best memories were NCAA tournament
He saw what his best friend accomplished this year at UConn
His pro stock (Europe) was at an all time low

It all makes sense. With a real pass-first role on a team of scorers he can be deadly.

He’ll end up at UConn or Villanova and succeed.

Best of luck, Fatts.
6 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago I saw this coming a mile away.

Fatts was injured
He thrives on fans, energy, and attention and got none of the above this past year

It all makes sense. With a real pass-first role on a team of scorers he can be deadly.

Best of luck, Fatts.
He'll succeed anywhere with a better coach. Cox is not it.
8 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Agreed. Definitely contributed to his thinking probably seeing Rese make it his first year at UCONN, not to mention Rese has also played a lot better under Hurley.
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

the_one_mike wrote: 3 years ago
ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Fatts and Tyrese are also super close, adding to the long list of why UCONN makes sense
I got word of both of them being unhappy and considering options other than Rhody well before Rese made the announcement. Made a thread here and got flamed. There’s a high probability he lands in Storrs.
Can you find it? I would love to see it!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago

Fatts was injured

Best of luck, Fatts.
I don’t disagree. My largest concern is if past players continue to move on and succeed in new programs it will create an annual exodus of all promising young players. IF we keep Leggett and he watches as Fatts makes a tourney run next year at UConn do you think he wouldn’t be talked into making a similar move?
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago
the_one_mike wrote: 3 years ago
Can you find it? I would love to see it!
It got uncivil by many involved, myself included, and I believe ended up getting deleted or locked. Ha!
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

I'll take your word for it!
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

As crazy as this sounds, what if Fatts transfers to PC... All hell breaks lose
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago As crazy as this sounds, what if Fatts transfers to PC... All hell breaks lose
The most hated URI basketball associate in history and I don’t think it’d be close.

Yes more than Jerry D.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago

Fatts was injured

Best of luck, Fatts.
I don’t disagree. My largest concern is if past players continue to move on and succeed in new programs it will create an annual exodus of all promising young players. IF we keep Leggett and he watches as Fatts makes a tourney run next year at UConn do you think he wouldn’t be talked into making a similar move?

If any of our players play 4 years here and use the free year elsewhere, I won’t be upset at all.
2 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I love the kid but he’s no good without a coach who will force him to play to his strengths, rather than let him do whatever he wants and chuck shots as a 28% shooter.

That said, odd to be a 23-24 year old coming back. No way does he make the league at this age especially without being a 40%+ shooter.

Still. Should be another black mark on cox. Didn’t expect Fatts back but how bad are things if Fatts wants to come back but doesn’t trust you as a coach to help anything.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago As crazy as this sounds, what if Fatts transfers to PC... All hell breaks lose
He hates Cooley and the feeling is mutual, that’s not happening... but certainly an interesting fan fiction lolol.

He’s looking for a run into the tournament under a P5 team for media exposure to up his stock. Either that or going pro if he gets a strong contract offer from a professional team overseas. Sad truth is he played himself out of D League consideration this season... injuries or not.

MBB is really just minor leagues, at this point. I think this decision is good for all parties, honesty. Here’s to hoping we get this practice facility moving soon so we have a chance in this arms race...
2 x