The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Bos8 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Kolek transferring...

c'mon home kid.

(PC, Iowa, and Seton Hall already in on him - so go and prove you can get a local kid DC)
Are they allowed to transfer to another A-10 school and be eligible right away? I can't think of too many A-10 to A-10 transfers off the top of my head. Dominique McKoy sticks out, but he had a juco stop in between I believe.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

c'mon home kid.

(PC, Iowa, and Seton Hall already in on him - so go and prove you can get a local kid DC)
Wouldn't be surprised if he gave us the cold shoulder for not initially recruiting him. Couldn't blame him either.
0 x
Go Rhody
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

c'mon home kid.

Blue man where did you see Pc was in on him ?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm just hoping Mitchell announced early enough to keep Cox from game planning for him in next years UMass games...
9 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago

c'mon home kid.

Blue man where did you see Pc was in on him ?
Yea I couldn't find anything on him transferring on Twitter or anywhere else.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Jay Heath in the portal.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

c'mon home kid.

Where did you see this? It hasn't seemed to hit the ole Google News wire yet, or his Twitter account.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I expect Arkansas to be involved with literally every high major transfer.

Musselman doesn't stop.
The same can be said for many programs, it will be like a buffet line.

There is also so many quality players from low and mid-major programs, that didn't get a lot of national exposure but can fill many needs for schools looking.
A player like Tyson Walker from Northeastern getting strong interest from Michigan State and Kansas.
But Musselman is strictly known for how many transfers he gets. Did the same thing at Nevada.

Hoiberg at Iowa St was ahead of his time with the amount of transfers he took in.
Hoiberg doing the same at Nebraska, a revolving door.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Jay Heath in the portal.
Yes saw that, he was discussed here awhile back.
He would be an extreme longshot for us, don't think Cox can pull it off.
I bet Georgetown makes a strong push for him, would be a good fit and nice addition for Ewing.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

c'mon home kid.

Where did you see this? It hasn't seemed to hit the ole Google News wire yet, or his Twitter account.
Is he a point guard ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

c'mon home kid.

Are they allowed to transfer to another A-10 school and be eligible right away? I can't think of too many A-10 to A-10 transfers off the top of my head. Dominique McKoy sticks out, but he had a juco stop in between I believe.
It probably wouldn't be a conference issue if he transfers here because it is back home for him and involves a coaching change.
Previously if players transfer within conference to avoid penalty the coach would have to approve and sign off on it, but that wouldn't apply in this case because of the staff change.

Very doubtful though that he would end up here, don't see it happening, but I would like it.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Domingues Stevens in the portal. Played high school ball with the twins. At Seton Hall last year
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

This transfer shit is going to ruin the sport.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Domingues Stevens in the portal. Played high school ball with the twins. At Seton Hall last year
Yes, he was 4* recruit at one time but was buried on the bench at SH, only played a total of 14 minutes all year.
He was considered a deep shooting threat out of high school, but never really saw the floor this season.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago This transfer shit is going to ruin the sport.
You only get to transfer once penalty free (assuming rule is passed). It changes the sport for sure, but I don't think it will ruin it long term and things will settle down some after this off-season which will be tough to watch.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Domingues Stevens in the portal. Played high school ball with the twins. At Seton Hall last year
Definitely a name to keep an eye on. I have seen Tony Skinn mentioned as a potential candidate for the Mason vacancy, so if that happens I could see him following him there. Kim English is another name to keep an eye on at Mason, who has deep DMV connections.

Realistically I think there are going to be a lot of names that pop up in the transfer portal that we have a legit shot/connection to. It's up to Cox et al to determine the best fit/best talent.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago https://dailycollegian.com/2021/03/sour ... er-portal/

Sources: Three to five more players set to join Tre Mitchell in the transfer portal
More transfers to follow Mitchell decision

By Joey Aliberti, Assistant Sports Editor
March 15, 2021

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
In the wake of Tre Mitchell’s decision to enter his name in the transfer portal, the Collegian has been informed by multiple sources with knowledge of the situation that at least three more players on the Massachusetts men’s basketball team are likely to announce their decision to enter their names in the portal.

Ronnie DeGray III, Javohn Garcia, Cairo McCrory, Dyondre Dominguez and Kolton Mitchell were named as players that have a chance of joining T. Mitchell in the transfer portal.
Sources tell the Collegian that “one or two” of those five aforementioned names could still make the decision to stay at UMass.
With Carl Pierre and Mark Gasperini both graduating the only players that appear set on staying with the program are Noah Fernandes, TJ Weeks and Dibaji Walker.
If all five players were to leave, Minutemen head coach Matt McCall would be left with three scholarship athletes heading into the 2021 recruiting offseason period, losing four of their five starters to graduation and the transfer portal.
Sources were kept anonymous to protect their identity.
The team declined to comment about the matter.
Matt Vautour of MassLive has reported that T. Mitchell’s decision hasn’t changed UMass’ plans for McCall to remain as head coach through the 2021-22 season.
Joey Aliberti can be reached at jaliberti@umass.edu. He can be followed on Twitter @JosephAliberti1.
Is this Tony Bergeron using Tre Mitchell and others to hold up the basketball program trying to get McCall's spot? He already used Mitchell and his Woodstock Academy players to hold up UMass for an assistant's spot so why stop now I guess. That guy is an unmitigated scumbag
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago https://dailycollegian.com/2021/03/sour ... er-portal/

Sources: Three to five more players set to join Tre Mitchell in the transfer portal

March 15, 2021

Editor’s note: This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
In the wake of Tre Mitchell’s decision to enter his name in the transfer portal, the Collegian has been informed by multiple sources with knowledge of the situation that at least three more players on the Massachusetts men’s basketball team are likely to announce their decision to enter their names in the portal.

Ronnie DeGray III, Javohn Garcia, Cairo McCrory, Dyondre Dominguez and Kolton Mitchell were named as players that have a chance of joining T. Mitchell in the transfer portal.
Sources tell the Collegian that “one or two” of those five aforementioned names could still make the decision to stay at UMass.
With Carl Pierre and Mark Gasperini both graduating the only players that appear set on staying with the program are Noah Fernandes, TJ Weeks and Dibaji Walker.
If all five players were to leave, Minutemen head coach Matt McCall would be left with three scholarship athletes heading into the 2021 recruiting offseason period, losing four of their five starters to graduation and the transfer portal.
Matt Vautour of MassLive has reported that T. Mitchell’s decision hasn’t changed UMass’ plans for McCall to remain as head coach through the 2021-22 season.
Joey Aliberti can be reached at jaliberti@umass.edu. He can be followed on Twitter @JosephAliberti1.
Is this Tony Bergeron using Tre Mitchell and others to hold up the basketball program trying to get McCall's spot? He already used Mitchell and his Woodstock Academy players to hold up UMass for an assistant's spot so why stop now I guess. That guy is an unmitigated scumbag
I think Bergeron is sleazy, but that strikes me as too stupid for him. What would his argument for the job be? "Listen guys, you need to hire me to keep this talent that garnered a gaudy 8-7 record around! Our best wins were against URI, twice - we can't sacrifice this momentum we have going."
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

March 15, 2021

I think Bergeron is sleazy, but that strikes me as too stupid for him. What would his argument for the job be? "Listen guys, you need to hire me to keep this talent that garnered a gaudy 8-7 record around! Our best wins were against URI, twice - we can't sacrifice this momentum we have going."
He could say he won massively at the prep school level while McCall hasn't done anything anywhere, make him the head guy and we can take things to the next level. Oh, you won't make the change? Well me and my meal ticket are out of here and we're going to decimate the program on the way out. I mean let's face it, Tre Mitchell is the only card that Bergeron really has career wise at the college level or higher. Once Mitchell is out of college all he has on his resume is an assistant coach for a .500 level A10 program. That last line about how Mitchell's decision hasn't changed UMass plans makes me think something shady happened behind the scenes, but I could be reading too much into it
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The transfer portal is always good for a couple, “how are these guys still around?!”

Today’s contestants: De’Monte Buckingham and Kevin Marfo

Marfo played against Kuran Iverson and Hassan Martin as a freshman at GW.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

c'mon home kid.

Not everything happens on twitter lol. Sometimes you just know a guy.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago ...
Could be that UMASS is fed up with Bergeron and will get rid of him. Do that and I take Tre with me. If another program wants Tre, then they need to take both. I hear there is $$$ between Tre and Bergeron that makes UMASS nervous.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

c'mon home kid.

Blue Man don't see him listed in the portal yet, could he be waiting to see who they hire before he makes it official?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

c'mon home kid.

Are you telling us that Kolek fell off the back of a truck and we saw nothing?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

c'mon home kid.

Blueman is rarely wrong. He's given me plenty of info before it was announced. For example, he told me we had Jermaine Harris like 5 months before he committed. Obviously, at that time, I lost my mind in excitement, thinking we were about to land a 4 star big and Hurley was still our head coach. Man, those were the days.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Blueman is rarely wrong. He's given me plenty of info before it was announced. For example, he told me we had Jermaine Harris like 5 months before he committed. Obviously, at that time, I lost my mind in excitement, thinking we were about to land a 4 star big and Hurley was still our head coach. Man, those were the days.
The last few days seeing all the tournament stuff I posted on Facebook back in the Hurley days showing back up on my timeline has me really feeling down. Those were the days indeed...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seriously, the last couple of days my IG and FB memories have been from Sacramento and Pittsburgh.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Seems like a long time ago already.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode Island showing interest in American Sr. PG Jamir Harris (6'2") averaged 20.5 pts (47% FG, 44% 3pt)
He is from Elizabeth, NJ and had transferred to American from Minnesota.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Seriously, the last couple of days my IG and FB memories have been from Sacramento and Pittsburgh.
Same with me.
First thing I saw this morning.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 3 years ago The transfer portal is always good for a couple, “how are these guys still around?!”

Carl Pierre, too. I’m like 90% sure he was at UMass with Camby.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

LOL

0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Who would take Fatts at this point, as much as i love the kid
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Who would take Fatts at this point, as much as i love the kid
Multiple, multiple P5 teams.

Cue the “let’s shit on Fatts tour even though he gave us 4 years.”
2 x
Go Rhody
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Who would take Fatts at this point, as much as i love the kid

I want the best for Fatts and think hes an outstanding person and am grateful for the 4 years, but seriously based on this past year, i wouldnt take him
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago

I want the best for Fatts and think hes an outstanding person and am grateful for the 4 years, but seriously based on this past year, i wouldnt take him
Dan Hurley will take him in a second.
4 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Now you got me thinking, Fatts will take Dan Hurley and Tyrese Martin in a second and Dan Hurley and Tyrese will take Fatts in a second... its coming full circle... also with rese commenting on his post "Great Move Brotha"
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I’m rooting for Cox’s to not be licking his wounds from a shitty season and to go out and land some studs! Turn this ship around!

GO COX!

GO RHODY!
2 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago I’m rooting for Cox’s to not be licking his wounds from a shitty season and to go out and land some studs! Turn this ship around!

GO COX!

GO RHODY!
I wish I could be half as optimistic as you, I admire the positive way you are looking at things.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The consensus seems to think UConn, but maybe not a lock
They already have 3 PG's next season: Cole, Gaffney, and their top ranked recruit Diggins.

The UConn board has mixed feelings about him.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

The consensus seems to think UConn, but maybe not a lock
They already have 3 PG's next season: Cole, Gaffney, and their top ranked recruit Diggins.

The UConn board has mixed feelings about him.
As they should - he is not a 35 min player on that team...if he accepted a smaller role he would be a great fit.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not too thrilled Fatts wants to play another year in another uniform was just hoping he would play overseas
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Right now, I would say the perception of our program is at a very low point.

Tyrese is basically saying, glad you got out of there.

Thorr might be forced to do something, especially if more leave.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Are you telling us that Kolek fell off the back of a truck and we saw nothing?
Just saying that I’ve never said anything I didn’t know to be a fact on here.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyblue12
ARD

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago The transfer portal is always good for a couple, “how are these guys still around?!”

Carl Pierre, too. I’m like 90% sure he was at UMass with Camby.
Dimon Carrigan for me - he must be 26 yrs old by now.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hahaha add Fatts to the list of players that left our program under David Cox. Imagine if we had a top 25 program loaded with potential next year and Fatts announced he’s coming back? If we had a coach and a team that could make a run in the tourney like Dan’s last year there is no way Fatts goes. Year 4 and we are looking like a .500 team.. What else does Thorr need? Cox is not the answer!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Hahaha add Fatts to the list of players that left our program under David Cox. Imagine if we had a top 25 program loaded with potential next year and Fatts announced he’s coming back? If we had a coach and a team that could make a run in the tourney like Dan’s last year there is no way Fatts goes. Year 4 and we are looking like a .500 team.. What else does Thorr need? Cox is not the answer!!
I'm sure people are going to look at this two different ways, but I'm not looking at it like he left the program under Cox (as weird as that may sound). This 5th year is a gray area / weird thing for everyone.

Fatts easily could have transferred after Hurley left, chose to stick around for three more years. Played 4 full years at URI, 3 under Cox. He fulfilled his scholarship here, and is using a quirky new NCAA rule to see what else college basketball has for him.

However, I will agree that if we had an NCAA caliber team next year, odds are Fatts returns.

I'm not saying you're wrong with your stance, as Fatts is technically leaving URI with Cox at the helm, but it's not as black and white as it would be if Fatts had left after his freshman year, hence my stance on the topic.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Hahaha add Fatts to the list of players that left our program under David Cox. Imagine if we had a top 25 program loaded with potential next year and Fatts announced he’s coming back? If we had a coach and a team that could make a run in the tourney like Dan’s last year there is no way Fatts goes. Year 4 and we are looking like a .500 team.. What else does Thorr need? Cox is not the answer!!
I'm sure people are going to look at this two different ways, but I'm not looking at it like he left the program under Cox (as weird as that may sound). This 5th year is a gray area / weird thing for everyone.

Fatts easily could have transferred after Hurley left, chose to stick around for three more years. Played 4 full years at URI, 3 under Cox. He fulfilled his scholarship here, and is using a quirky new NCAA rule to see what else college basketball has for him.

However, I will agree that if we had an NCAA caliber team next year, odds are Fatts returns.

I'm not saying you're wrong with your stance, as Fatts is technically leaving URI with Cox at the helm, but it's not as black and white as it would be if Fatts had left after his freshman year, hence my stance on the topic.
I agree with 15.

But feel he may still leave his options open for next year depending on the offers he gets and what role he would play. Also may still decide to play professionally somewhere if a good opportunity presents itself.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I don't blame Fatts, but I do think this is an indictment of Cox. It's Fatts saying that he doesn't trust Cox to get him the exposure that he needs to play at the next level.

If he goes somewhere to play less minutes but have a chance at the tourney, what does that say about the program Cox is running?
2 x