The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Yeah but can he handle the ball? Doesn't matter what you're good at...our coach will put you into his system and then God be with you.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Casey Alexander is a name to watch as well going forward. Took over Belmont last year and has gone 52-11 in 2 years. Seems like he has the same attitude as Hurley at Wagner. He's frustrated at being snubbed for the NCAAT.
Belmont tied Gonzaga in wins this year. However their NET is 5 spots behind PC (90 to 85) and their KenPom rating is one spot above URI (104 to 105) because the non-con strength of schedule was a robust #291 in the country. So the committee had a built-in excuse to leave Belmont out. It's a shame, because Belmont played 30 games and had no apparent virus issues, so I would figure Alexander could have scooped up more high-major opportunities early on with the same schedule scrambling that the Rams took advantage of.

Belmont played ONE game combined in Q1 & Q2. It is a trend also, because their non-con SOS was 262 last year. You can't be scheduling like a high-major if you're in Belmont's position and want to even be close to an at-large bid. That would be my major interview question if Alexander steps up to a bigger program but not all the way to P5, is are you really going to be motivated to schedule strong opponents?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Went over to the UMass message board. I can't believe how many people seem to be advocating firing McCall and making Bergeron the head coach to try and keep Mitchell. That would be a level of the inmates running the asylum that would make the Jerry D years look like the most buttoned up, successful program of all time
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was Grant from Charleston even on the list of candidates?? Seemed out of left field

Indiana pays 10 M to buy out Archie M yes get him to URI or the Belmont coach anybody would suffice over DC
0 x
MARhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MARhody »

I doubt that Casey Alexander would leave Belmont...he's an alum and just got the HC job a couple of years ago. Though the Bruins did not have any covid issues of their own, many of the opponents of their original schedule had issues and had to cancel. They were to be a part of the 8 team Orlando invitational that was cancelled (field of Auburn, Belmont, Boise State, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Saint Louis, Siena and Xavier), I believe there were a few other decent games that fell by the wayside so they had to scramble and get what they could for non-conference games.

Really a shame that strength of schedule was a consideration of the committee in a covid year, they had earned an NCAA bid last year which should have counted for something, but yea, let's make sure teams like Syracuse get a pass into the tourney.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dickey V called out not giving Belmont a look to get into field as a joke and I agree
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

MARhody wrote: 3 years ago I doubt that Casey Alexander would leave Belmont...he's an alum and just got the HC job a couple of years ago. Though the Bruins did not have any covid issues of their own, many of the opponents of their original schedule had issues and had to cancel. They were to be a part of the 8 team Orlando invitational that was cancelled (field of Auburn, Belmont, Boise State, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Saint Louis, Siena and Xavier), I believe there were a few other decent games that fell by the wayside so they had to scramble and get what they could for non-conference games.

Really a shame that strength of schedule was a consideration of the committee in a covid year, they had earned an NCAA bid last year which should have counted for something, but yea, let's make sure teams like Syracuse get a pass into the tourney.
Casey Alexander may be waiting out Rick Barnes to retire for the Tennessee job.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

MARhody wrote: 3 years ago I doubt that Casey Alexander would leave Belmont...he's an alum and just got the HC job a couple of years ago. Though the Bruins did not have any covid issues of their own, many of the opponents of their original schedule had issues and had to cancel. They were to be a part of the 8 team Orlando invitational that was cancelled (field of Auburn, Belmont, Boise State, Gonzaga, Michigan State, Saint Louis, Siena and Xavier), I believe there were a few other decent games that fell by the wayside so they had to scramble and get what they could for non-conference games.

If the only way for Belmont to get in the NCAAT is by winning the conference tournament, Casey would leave I believe. They won the regular season. Alma Mater or not. Just saying he has been as vocal as Hurley was at Wagner after they got snuffed.
0 x
MARhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MARhody »

Maybe "won't leave" is strong, but I doubt he would leave this year or in the next few years...though money and opportunity does talk.

Aside of the long winning streak, Belmont was also one of the top sides in the country ATS. They faded at the end as starting center (Nick Muszynski) got hurt and he missed the last two games of the season (both losses) and he wasn't 100% for the conference tournament. They have no seniors on their roster, so they are sure to be back strong next year. Not sure if it was noticed, but a10 faves were white hot in the conference tourney, 33-17-1 in the last 51 games prior to this year, 11-2 this year. Hopefully the a10 teams can make some noise in the post season this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago I am highly intrigued by this one...

Ace are you surprised?
Most insiders had him on the hot-seat.
Been there 6 years and no success, not one winning season in-conference (51-103)
I am zero percent surprised. My intrigue comes from who they’ll hire.
Who do you think they will hire, Ace? Who would you like to see them hire?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Ace are you surprised?
Been there 6 years and no success, not one winning season in-conference (51-103)
There's a huge push for Loyola's Porter Moser. (Other names are Jon Scheyer, Dennis Gates, Frank Martin, Cuonzo Martin)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with others Porter Moser should be their man
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ace are you surprised?
I think I see your intrigue now Ace.........

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The Hurley boys taking over the Big East. Now that'd be fun to watch.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Do I think that will happen? No.
Do I find the idea to be very funny? Yes, absolutely.

Those who know seem to think it’s Moser’s to turn down. At least there’s a new AD making the hire. I know all evidence is to the contrary, but it just doesn’t seem like they should be as bad as they are.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Enjoy the cellar Boston College !!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They may try to poach Hoiberg back from Nebraska

Darien DeVries should be a leading candidate being from Iowa

T.J. Otzelberger (UNLV) and Craig Smith (Utah State) also likely candidates.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wouldn't be surprised if they reach out to Thad Matta
If not Matta, could be a bidding war with DePaul for Porter Moser
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It's official

"Minnesota fires coach Richard Pitino after 8 seasons produced only 2 NCAA Tournament bids"

Look for Dennis Gates (Cleveland State) as an early favorite, along with some of the other coaches previously mentioned for the other vacancies.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we can go to 2 NCAA's in 8 years going forward, that's about all we can expect.

But the longer we wait, the longer it will take to go to the first of those, unless we can strike gold again.

Remember one in four Al?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If we can go to 2 NCAA's in 8 years going forward, that's about all we can expect.

But the longer we wait, the longer it will take to go to the first of those, unless we can strike gold again.

Remember one in four Al?
You are one of the most miserable human beings I’ve ever come across. Jesus H. Christ.

There is a shout or dig in every single one of your posts. Nevermind, Cox and the team, just get a life and Find some fucking joy...

... back to my bunker. Flame on...
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If we can go to 2 NCAA's in 8 years going forward, that's about all we can expect.

Remember one in four Al?
You are one of the most miserable human beings I’ve ever come across. Jesus H. Christ.

There is a shout or dig in every single one of your posts. Nevermind, Cox and the team, just get a life and Find some fucking joy...

Nice to know you are ok DC_Rams. Good Job Rambone getting DC_Rams out of his bunker? :roll: :roll: :roll:

A Question DC.........
It seems most here do not think the two Mitchell's will ever play on the court together. Discussion is that Makhi, Makhel and Walker could not be effective on the court because of the need for more ball handlers in today's game.

Looking back, the Mitchell's played together in AAU Ball with DC Premier. They were both in the starting line-up and played high minutes together. They handled the ball, passed quite well and took 12" to 18" shots. In City of Palms, the best of Holiday Tournaments in Ft Myers Florida every year, they played together against top notch competition - best of the best teams are invited to that Tournament every year.

The Mitchell's also were enablers to get 6'7" Ricky Lindo to join DC Premier and all 3 were on the court at the same time. Lindo's game is somewhat similar to Antwan Walker's game I think.

So what are your thoughts, and what do you think David Cox thinks of next season playing Makhi and Makhel together, and having them both in the starting line-up? Also playing both Mitchell's with Walker? Or do you think it's just 1 Mitchell at a time on the floor?

Thanks
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Remember one in four Al?

Nice to know you are ok DC_Rams. Good Job Rambone getting DC_Rams out of his bunker? :roll: :roll: :roll:

A Question DC.........
It seems most here do not think the two Mitchell's will ever play on the court together. Discussion is that Makhi, Makhel and Walker could not be effective on the court because of the need for more ball handlers in today's game.

Looking back, the Mitchell's played together in AAU Ball with DC Premier. They were both in the starting line-up and played high minutes together. They handled the ball, passed quite well and took 12" to 18" shots. In City of Palms, the best of Holiday Tournaments in Ft Myers Florida every year, they played together against top notch competition - best of the best teams are invited to that Tournament every year.

The Mitchell's also were enablers to get 6'7" Ricky Lindo to join DC Premier and all 3 were on the court at the same time. Lindo's game is somewhat similar to Antwan Walker's game I think.

So what are your thoughts, and what do you think David Cox thinks of next season playing Makhi and Makhel together, and having them both in the starting line-up? Also playing both Mitchell's with Walker? Or do you think it's just 1 Mitchell at a time on the floor?

Thanks
Are you really comparing AAU high school ball to Atlantic 10 basketball?

The Mitchell’s will obviously play a bit together, but there is zero chance they start along with Walker and use up significant minutes with all 3 of them on the court.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC doesn't like realists.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

BC stupidly fired Al many years ago. Wonder if this would disqualify Grant.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cmon Doombone, you are the CNN of this board. If we went to the final four and lost on the way out of the arena you would be the one saying "well we will never do that again." That isn't being a realist.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Still employed by Minnesota, but sources say Richard Pitino interviewed for New Mexico vacancy over the weekend

"Richard Pitino has remained employed as the Gophers men’s basketball coach, but he interviewed for the vacancy at New Mexico over the weekend, sources told the Pioneer Press.

Pitino’s eighth season at Minnesota ended in the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday, and with a 14-15 record, his team missed the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time. Gophers Athletics Director Mark Coyle has yet to announce a decision on Pitino’s future.

Pitino interviewed for the job along with former Nebraska coach Tim Miles and Stephen F. Austin coach Kyle Keller, according to multiple reports. Pitino is believed to be the top candidate of New Mexico AD Eddie Nunez, according to Enchantment Sports.
Didn't take long for Richard Pitino, just hired by New Mexico

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ta-firing/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Mason fans have been calling for his firing for 3 years.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seems like an opportune time to recruit the current ROY winner to come back home, no?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Seems like an opportune time to recruit the current ROY winner to come back home, no?
Curious to see if he enters the portal, backcourt mate Greene did.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Seems like an opportune time to recruit the current ROY winner to come back home, no?
How was he the #2 recruit in RI and #14 in NE and we didn't even look at him? Or did we? Maybe he just said outright no to URI? Never know.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who is on George Mason short list ??
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
How was he the #2 recruit in RI and #14 in NE and we didn't even look at him? Or did we? Maybe he just said outright no to URI? Never know.
......can he defend at a high A-10 level......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago Who is on George Mason short list ??
Based on their board, no one we have mentioned.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
......can he defend at a high A-10 level......?
Who? The A10 ROY?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

How about Archie? :D
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How about Archie? :D
They need a good hire cause they have not performed well in the A10 at all. Came in with high expectations like VCU but have failed so far.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Buddy of mine who is a GM fan said they were looking at Kim English. From the Balt/DC area and highly regarded as a recruiter. Pretty young, though.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
Buddy of mine who is a GM fan said they were looking at Kim English. From the Balt/DC area and highly regarded as a recruiter. Pretty young, though.
I think that would be a mistake for them. They need to get the most seasoned head coach they can get. They have been tooling around with coaches and it hasn't worked out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

English was a good player at Mizzou and was an assistant at Tulsa Colorado and now at Tennessee
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

GMU should NOT hire an assistant as their next head coach. They need an experienced coach to get them out of the funk they are in.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GMU lived off their FF run for years.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They may try to poach Hoiberg back from Nebraska

Darien DeVries should be a leading candidate being from Iowa

T.J. Otzelberger (UNLV) and Craig Smith (Utah State) also likely candidates.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago GMU should NOT hire an assistant as their next head coach. They need an experienced coach to get them out of the funk they are in.
Like Paul Hewitt, right?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Poor Vegas in the market for a coach again

Who they looking at ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley