The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago All of these transfers will likely hasten a decline in interest in college basketball. Tough for fans to grow attached to teams when players are always coming and going each season.
Agree, it’s always fun to watch for and cheer a pliers progression over 4 years.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Having a "core four" that stayed together for 4 years, like we had under Hurley, is not likely to ever happen here again.

And Rick Pitino cobbles together a group of transfers at the last minute, and is likely to dance already.

And some say coaching in college BB isn't that important?
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Having a "core four" that stayed together for 4 years, like we had under Hurley, is not likely to ever happen here again.

And Rick Pitino cobbles together a group of transfers at the last minute, and is likely to dance already.

And some say coaching in college BB isn't that important?
You can say whatever you want about the guy but he can definitely coach.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Certainly not arguing that fact, but keep in mind the program he took over has been to the last four straight NCAA tournaments. He was very deliberate in taking over a program that has many advantages over its peers.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Certainly not arguing that fact, but keep in mind the program he took over has been to the last four straight NCAA tournaments. He was very deliberate in taking over a program that has many advantages over its peers.
I don't know - I bet Pitino would have taken over West Coast East Central State College, if they would have him and they were D1. Unlike Coach Cal and some others, there never has been a doubt about whether Pitino can coach at the college level. It's more the fact that he's an absolute sleaze that's the issue.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Certainly not arguing that fact, but keep in mind the program he took over has been to the last four straight NCAA tournaments. He was very deliberate in taking over a program that has many advantages over its peers.
I don't know - I bet Pitino would have taken over West Coast East Central State College, if they would have him and they were D1. Unlike Coach Cal and some others, there never has been a doubt about whether Pitino can coach at the college level. It's more the fact that he's an absolute sleaze that's the issue.
....are you doubting Calipari can coach at the college level?

And don’t use this one year to question his coaching. You’d also have to include Coach K in the “can’t coach” camp too then.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
....are you doubting Calipari can coach at the college level?

And don’t use this one year to question his coaching. You’d also have to include Coach K in the “can’t coach” camp too then.
Incredible recruiter, one title, and hasn't been to a Final Four since 2015. Caviar problems to be clear, vs. our basic chicken salad problems. I don't even think it's that controversial of a take - I think it was conventional wisdom that Calipari beat you in the offseason, with his scouting and recruiting, and not necessarily with Xs and Os on the court.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Greg Gantt, Sophomore, 6'8", Ranked #68 ESPN 2019 is leaving Providence College
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Greg Gantt, Sophomore, 6'8", Ranked #68 ESPN 2019 is leaving Providence College
Friar fans seem happy about this.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Greg Gantt, Sophomore, 6'8", Ranked #68 ESPN 2019 is leaving Providence College
I am seeing mixed feelings on their board.

Highly rated recruit and very athletic, many say he wasn't a good fit for Cooley's offense.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Gantt is a heck of an athlete but not a confident basketball player. Constantly out of position and very indecisive with the ball. High character kid who I wish nothing but the best for. But at least at this point in his development, he’s nothing more than a high energy bench piece for a decent team.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
I am seeing mixed feelings on their board.

Highly rated recruit and very athletic, many say he wasn't a good fit for Cooley's offense.
He seemed very limited offensively, at least at the Big East level. I can see him making an impact in a lower level D1 conference, though.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Freshman Earl Timberlake just entered the portal 6'6" SF Miami from DC. He was a 4* top 50 recruit averaged 9 pts/ 5 rebs. in limited playing time due to nagging injuries. He was heavily recruited by Providence.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Freshman Earl Timberlake just entered the portal 6'6" SF Miami from DC. He was a 4* top 50 recruit averaged 9 pts/ 5 rebs. in limited playing time due to nagging injuries. He was heavily recruited by Providence.
I don't know how involoved we got, but we recruited him too.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

No idea what “UNCX” is - assuming it’s a typo.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Freshman Earl Timberlake just entered the portal 6'6" SF Miami from DC. He was a 4* top 50 recruit averaged 9 pts/ 5 rebs. in limited playing time due to nagging injuries. He was heavily recruited by Providence.
I don't know how involoved we got, but we recruited him too.
From Maryland, come on Cox (and Mrs. Mitchell), work the phones and get him here. Mitchells, Timberlake, Ish, Antoine, Martin, DJ and a PG and we are good to go.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

Probably Charlotte. I didn’t think it was referred to as UNCC any more.
I’m a little surprised he’s getting P5 interest.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

Probably Charlotte. I didn’t think it was referred to as UNCC any more.
I’m a little surprised he’s getting P5 interest.
Some googling makes me think it's University of Northern Colorado. The 'X' is used to indicate that it's not the "UNC" that we all think of.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

URI was one of the first teams to contact Cam’ron Fletcher. Not sure if there’s traction, but there is interest.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago URI was one of the first teams to contact Cam’ron Fletcher. Not sure if there’s traction, but there is interest.
Also St. Louis has interest and will be heavily involved.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago URI was one of the first teams to contact Cam’ron Fletcher. Not sure if there’s traction, but there is interest.
Also St. Louis has interest and will be heavily involved.
And he's from St. Louis.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Another player to keep any eye on that can provide immediate help:
Vermont SR. PG Stef Smith (6'2") just entered the portal.
He averaged 14 pts, and America East All-Conference First Team (2020)
UConn and PC reaching out to him.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Tre Mitchell leaving UMass.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Tre Mitchell leaving UMass.
Devastating news to them, they would of been very good next season.

"UMass star big man Tre Mitchell is expected to transfer, sources told ESPN. First-team All-Atlantic 10 selection this season averaged 18.8 points and 7.2 rebounds this season."
9:48 AM · Mar 15, 2021
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Tre Mitchell leaving UMass.
Does that mean Tony Bergeron has entered the portal as well?
8 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

It probably means half of Umass’s Roster is about to enter the portal 🤣🤣 McCall is a dead man walking
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There have been recent concerns on the UMass message board about rumors that key players might transfer out. It would seem they may have been well founded.

I fear the new transfer rules will very much result in an annual export of talent from the A-10 going forward. Players will bolt for higher profile schools after having some success in the A-10.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

McCall sounded like he knew during his last press conference, it was a pretty morbid vibe
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One does wonder where Mitchell and Bergeron will go? I would assume as was the case two years ago, they will once again be a package deal.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago One does wonder where Mitchell and Bergeron will go? I would assume as was the case two years ago, they will once again be a package deal.
How about his pals Fernandes, Weeks, Santos all came together from Woodstock Academy, along with all their freshman?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago There have been recent concerns on the UMass message board about rumors that key players might transfer out. It would seem they may have been well founded.

I fear the new transfer rules will very much result in an annual export of talent from the A-10 going forward. Players will bolt for higher profile schools after having some success in the A-10.
If true, then Martin and Toppin (and others last couple of years) are the proverbial canary in the coalmine.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago There have been recent concerns on the UMass message board about rumors that key players might transfer out. It would seem they may have been well founded.

Can't remember what year it was but Tim O'Shea had a couple good players at Bryant. You could tell they were building towards having a good season or more. And two of them get up and bolt to Nevada. If coaches can move around, it is hard to blame players for seeking out better spots. But, man, it has to be a killer for a non P6 coach. He retired the next year and is coaching prep basketball in Newport. This new one time transfer rule is going to murder the have nots. And it's not the NEC type leagues. It's everyone up to an including the lower half of the standings in the high majors. A free for all is coming. I guess there are only so many minutes in rotations at the top 20 schools to keep everyone happy but a melt up of talent is coming. You just have to hope you get the right ones who slide down because of fit, growth, etc.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Many of us have been saying this since the day the new transfer rule change was announced.

It's just a fear for you? It's past the fear point on the announcement day.

It's going to bring interest in the game way down.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago One does wonder where Mitchell and Bergeron will go? I would assume as was the case two years ago, they will once again be a package deal.
How about his pals Fernandes, Weeks, Santos all came together from Woodstock Academy, along with all their freshman?
There was an article out there a year ago about the potential of Bergeron becoming head coach at UMass some day - I wonder if he's rumored to be leaving for another opportunity and they are following him. Just unwarranted speculation on my part. But if so, shady AF.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Unless Mitchell is leaving because Bergeron and Ms. Mitchell split up and he no longer owes Bergeron anything?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Maybe a ploy be the players and Bergeron to get McCall terminated and elevate Bergeron to the HC spot?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I wonder if Tyson will be looking for a new home as well
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This transfer rule is going to bite the NCAA right in the ass. I don't care if we get transfers, its going to get bad.
3 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......have flashy freakin ugly wardrobe..........will travel........driving Tre to his next stop......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wouldn't be surprised to see PC make a run at Mitchell to replace Nate Watson.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I kind of thought the assumption was that Mitchell was going pro. I still think that's more likely than him transferring - I think the transferring is a fallback if he doesn't get draft process results he likes. (And even if my assumption is correct, it isn't a great look for UMass, that he wants to GTFO regardless.)
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago I kind of thought the assumption was that Mitchell was going pro. I still think that's more likely than him transferring - I think the transferring is a fallback if he doesn't get draft process results he likes. (And even if my assumption is correct, it isn't a great look for UMass, that he wants to GTFO regardless.)
Toppin leaving and playing at Kentucky must have sealed it for Tre. He is a much better player than Jacob and would be a starter at any school in the country. He will not go to PC to play for a second rate BE squad with no national attention. UConn is the floor, but I expect him to wind up at Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. I was so impressed by his play this year. For a guy who could arguably take 80% of the shots for his team, he shared the ball well, moved without the ball, has a really good pick and roll game. Just a fabulous player. He would be a sure-fire lottery pick if he played at a high level P6 school and it is not that clear at UMass, looks more like a second rounder.

We were a year ahead on the transfer thing - been saying that all along. It is actually not a terrible spot to be in because we have the Mitchells and Martin locked in for a few years, plus Jalen (who I think is going to be a player here eventually) and AB (who needs to rehab). Finding Freshmen transfers from P6 schools will be the game from now on. Keep those guys three years and you are in a good spot.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good players at lower levels will want to transfer up more and more.

It's already happening.....guys figure the better the program, the better coaching and exposure they'll get.

URI is in the middle.....we get somebody, they play well, and then they're gone.

Some programs manage to hold on to their better players, but with Cox so far it hasn't happened, unless you count Fatts...and he was almost out the door as we know.

rhodylaw, that is our only shot.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Seeing some UMass people saying that if they fire McCall and hire Bergeron as HC, Mitchell will stay. If true, that's a full-on hostage situation.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let Dumbass do that.

Obviously there's a parallel to what happened here when we hired everyone's buddy Jerry D, so Lamar and friends would stay.

Bergeron might be everyone's buddy there too....but maybe he will suck as a HC, we could only hope.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Let Dumbass do that.

Obviously there's a parallel to what happened here when we hired everyone's buddy Jerry D, so Lamar and friends would stay.

Bergeron might be everyone's buddy there too....but maybe he will suck as a HC, we could only hope.
I'd prefer UMass to be good, there's always a little something extra when we play them. Local rivalry too, being two state schools in the same conference so close to one another.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Seeing some UMass people saying that if they fire McCall and hire Bergeron as HC, Mitchell will stay. If true, that's a full-on hostage situation.

Other UMass fans have interpreted things differently. They say Mitchell is leaving BECAUSE a decision was already made to keep McCall. Either way, the longtime UMass beat reporter thinks there will be no change to the status of McCall returning next year.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Things do not look good for UMass as many more transfers expected. This from a member of the UMass student run radio station WMUA:

0 x