All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Turgeon always rubbed me the wrong way from that Cancun tourney glad Juwan H came after him
Turgeon is a turd, don’t really like that guy. Cancun comes to mind as mentioned before

Also, why the fuck weren’t both tossed? Why just Juwan...Turgeon was just as guilty in what happened...yes did Juwan seem to be more aggressive, but Turgeon the spineless weasel he is spouting off

Part of me wanted to see Juwan get to him and Turgeon look for the nearest exit sign
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Now DH gets Turgeon again

Go UConn go !!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Gavin Keefe talks about Hurley's three-year plan. https://www.theday.com/podcasts-by-the- ... ames-begin
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article beat those Terps !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for posting Iggy,

I found this intriguing....

A lot of people talk about culture when they go to a place and they have slogans and Instagram posts and recruiting presentations," Moore said. "Then it's another thing to follow through and have an action plan on doing it. He follows through. It's another thing you can't fake.
"You're sitting there with this group in June on Friday at four o'clock and you're talking about 'Chop Wood Carry Water.' And you're taking the guys through that book two chapters a week with them. There's 350 other college head coaches and maybe 325 of them are not in the office and not with their team."

What we often read the past Covid year was Coaches lost players because they went home and their family and friends talked them into changing schools in some cases. They had to be re-recruited.

Cooley had the Ruane Center at his disposal but campus was not open. Neither was the Ruane Center and players stayed at their homes during this period. Cooley told reporters how he improved his golf game during Covid playing at Warwick Country Club and Wannamoisett with his son. He lost 50 pounds.

We heard about how hard it was to recruit at URI. Zoom was not easy and you couldn’t see potential recruits play. Woe is us seemed the story form Kingston.

Yet this sounds like Hurley had his players on campus. Led his book club with the players. Circled the wagons and stayed close to them. No surprise.

I read where Pitino was interviewing prospects by Zoom last spring and summer. Pitino was working hard through any means he had - no whining.

So Look at UCONN and Iona - just two examples playing in the NCAA today. No excuses.

Look at URI and PC where Covid excuses seemed the rule vs the exception. Both sent their players hone. Hurley didn’t if I read and hear things correctly.
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I can’t root for a big east team in the tournament. Each win gives them more money per school to buy games against low level competition and to spend on assistants and recruiting.
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good point.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Mike DiMauro offers a different view of the program rebuilder: https://www.theday.com/sports-columns/2 ... r-mulligan
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

No sympathy from me on that, that's the kind of coverage he signed up for
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s part of the job. Selling what you have accomplished.
Telling how it was so bad when you took over.

You see it in business. Even see it when a new President takes over.

For Hurley he does improve things. He is an expert at turning around programs. He might exaggerate a bit describing how bad a program was when he took over, but in URI’s case I don’t think he exaggerated.

For Hurley to make the dance in year 3 at UCONN is an accomplishment to be proud of. Hurley had URI the best team in New England when he left

“I'm proud of those guys and the step they took this year."
Ah, yes. The steps they took this year. Hurley has reminded us ad nauseum of the program's tenor before he arrived, although curiously throwing a bouquet at Kevin Ollie after Saturday's loss. Hurley has thought nothing of hammering Ollie all year through the prism of what the program looked like when he got here.
A sampling of recent quotes:
Feb. 27: "We've come a long way. I don't think people understand how far we've come in three years to this point."
March 3: "I don't mind the bubble. The bubble doesn't bother me. I don't even want to talk about that. Looking where we were that March-April when we came in, being 179-180 in (metric) KenPom and looking the different programs we were sandwiched between ... Now in year three, (we have a) chance to go potentially 11-6 (in the league) and back in NCAA Tournament."
March 5: "When we got there, things were messy."
March 17: "James has done so much for UConn. This place was in shambles when he got here."
March 18: "I could write a book, man. It's like you pop the hood sometimes, it's worse than what the car looks like. All those practices, every day when you're fighting over behavior and habits and mindset ... and the battle continues every day because you're trying to create a winning culture and a mindset. Certainly, it wasn't that type of mindset a couple of years ago."
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I mean he has them on the right path making the dance in year 3 so they are on the rise but expectations are sky high so he going to need to start winning games in the Big Dance or the natives will get restless . He going to need to get some offensive players to come in especially if James B leaves , we know DH coaches defense and effort so that will never be the problem
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A good day for James and UConn

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be interesting to see who picks up the scoring at Uconn now
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Be interesting to see who picks up the scoring at Uconn now
Maybe Tyrese? That would wind this board up nicely...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN WBB dropped to #7 Ranked today, lowest UCONN ranking since 2007

Paige Bueckers injury has her out for a couple months, maybe more as surgery options are being explored.

Big question as to why Geno had her in the game with Notre Dame during the last minute with a huge lead.

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not at all surprising. Ollie was really fired for no longer winning games. Calhoun had plenty of transgressions and the school never acted against him. The difference - Calhoun was still winning. All was acceptable under those circumstances.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Finding the $11M owed to Kevin Ollie may not be an easy task for UConn given this recent disclosure:

UConn’s athletic deficit rose to $47.2 million in 2021
By PAT EATON-ROBB AP Sports Writer
January 20, 2022 4:18 AM
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/article257493399.html
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good for him.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great hit en where it hurts in that pocketbook
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What UConn did to Ollie was underhanded.

They did it so they wouldn't have to pay him the rest of his contract.

Glad UConn lost that one.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Finding the $11M owed to Kevin Ollie may not be an easy task for UConn given this recent disclosure:

UConn’s athletic deficit rose to $47.2 million in 2021
By PAT EATON-ROBB AP Sports Writer
January 20, 2022 4:18 AM
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/article257493399.html
Well they should have thought of that when they fired Ollie. I'm sure the UCONN Lawyers were heavily involved in the firing process and what the risks were.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Sorry for laughing but hahhahahahabana.
Good for Ollie.
4 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I enjoy this. UConn deserves it.

I don't blame Danny for leaving because UConn was obviously more committed to winning basketball than URI wants to be, but I do love those douchebags getting their comeuppance and having to pay through the nose to do it.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Goodman put it best, I thought. Just a bad look all around for the university.

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article on Dan Hurley.........Is anybody in charge? Probably not :lol: :lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-dimauro ... 00426.html
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Article on Dan Hurley.........Is anybody in charge? Probably not :lol: :lol:

I honestly can’t believe that there are any of this type of guy still working. Figured they put them all in the warehouse with the typewriters and ash trays. Sanctimonious fucking baby. There is not one normal, well-adjusted human being that cares at all about a single thing this guy is whining about. Dude is stealing money. Think of it: there is some “news” organization out there giving this uptight dinosaur a check when they could instead be paying someone to report on literally any of the billions of things in the world more scandalous than a guy being good at his job in a cool way.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

"Again, I ask: Who's in charge here? Is winning that much of an obsession now at State U that volatile behavior has been minimized, if not totally dismissed?"

Dude, if he thinks this is bad he should have seen UConn under Calhoun and Ollie....

"Hurley is gaining a reputation of petulance and peevishness that won't get him the benefit of many future doubts."

Has the dude heard of Dan Hurley before two weeks ago?

This guy seems to want to be Dan Shaughnessy with his awful takes, but he's got a long way to go to catch Shank
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Imagine what an absolutely insane person you have to be to want to be Dan Shaughnessey? I get not everyone is interesting enough to be an original but if you’re going to emulate someone else might as well make it someone that isn’t a detested moron. Who is the audience in 2022 for these guys, for Phil Mushnick, etc.?
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Article on Dan Hurley.........Is anybody in charge? Probably not :lol: :lol:

I honestly can’t believe that there are any of this type of guy still working. Figured they put them all in the warehouse with the typewriters and ash trays. Sanctimonious fucking baby. There is not one normal, well-adjusted human being that cares at all about a single thing this guy is whining about. Dude is stealing money. Think of it: there is some “news” organization out there giving this uptight dinosaur a check when they could instead be paying someone to report on literally any of the billions of things in the world more scandalous than a guy being good at his job in a cool way.
Not sure what to tell you. Every mainstream "news" outlet is guilty of the same thing.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just another example in 2022 where someone gets offended for no reason.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ces-top-16

As the blurb says, its a different kind of Hurley team (I’m used to suffocating defense), but its been a fun ride so far. They’re not their best players, but Hawkins and Polley (the shooters) will likely influence how far they can go.

15) UConn Huskies (21-7)
UConn moves into the rankings following its home win over Villanova on Tuesday and its road victory at Georgetown on Sunday afternoon. The Huskies have now won five in a row and 11 of their last 14 games, to give them a real chance at a top-four seed come Selection Sunday. Contrary to some past Dan Hurley-coached teams, this season's iteration is led by its offense. UConn has a top-20 offense nationally and the second-ranked offensive unit in the Big East. The Huskies are elite on the offensive glass and are one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the league. Over their last four games, they've scored at least 1.06 points per possession in each game, making at least 41.7% of their 3-pointers in each of their last 3 games. According to Bart Torvik's metrics, they're No. 11 in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency over that stretch.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He must have hired that elder statesmen AC to teach him offense, because, ya know.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really like their 9 man rotation , can easily see them in the 2nd weekend
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley and his staff of assistant coaches know how to recruit. Castle ended up picking UCONN.

“To me, it’s the small things, it’s all about relationships,” Quannette told Hearst Connecticut Media on Sunday evening. “I just felt like that was very thoughtful for them to think ‘Hey, it’s his birthday. (They) live so far away and (they’re) right here in Connecticut. Let’s go ahead and try to bring his grandma there.’ It makes me feel like family. It’s definitely Stephon’s decision, (but) they are recruiting all of us.”
The Castles have made official visits to other schools, including Auburn, Georgia and other programs closer to their Atlanta home. But none of them outdid UConn’s surprise.
“All the schools definitely do nice things,” Quannette said, “but I thought by far, this was one of the most thoughtful things that any school has done for him.”
On Sunday evening, shortly after returning home from his UConn visit (but not before heading to his high school gym for a two-hour workout), Castle announced via social media that he had cut his final list to six schools: Auburn, Arkansas, UConn, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Ohio State. Rivals.com, which lists Stephon as the No. 25 prospect in his class, predicts he will choose Auburn.

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/amp/UCo ... 601450.php
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I miss Dan. At least he gave his everything for our stuck-in-the-mud school for six years. He made us a two-time A10 champion, two-time NCAA-game-winning program, just as he said he would the day he was hired. He left our school at a peak not seen in two decades with a rejuvenated fan base, corporate partnerships, 4 NCAA credits and top 3 A10 roster, for a 4-time National Championship winning program on his very short dream list.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago I miss Dan. At least he gave his everything for our stuck-in-the-mud school for six years. He made us a two-time A10 champion, two-time NCAA-game-winning program, just as he said he would the day he was hired. He left our school at a peak not seen in two decades with a rejuvenated fan base, corporate partnerships, 4 NCAA credits and top 3 A10 roster, for a 4-time National Championship winning program on his very short dream list.
Yup Thorr absolutely nailed that hire and DH turned us around and doing the same thing with UConn who he will probably have in the top 25 more often than not now
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UConn won their senior game, and the other seniors are honestly upset that they didn’t win it by enough so that senior walk-on Matt Garry could get in. Basketball is fun when a group of likeable, talented, and unselfish guys win a lot. I know winning cures all, but Dan consistently puts together teams that are easy to root for. On to the tournaments (my stomach is already in knots over that Thursday game with Seton Hall).
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dan's efforts were obvious. All the time. I love that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good for them they thinking 5 seed in the dance ??
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Excited about a possible 5 seed, already nervous about a potential second round match-up with Illinois and Kofi. But, one thing at a time. Hopefully Hawkins is back. Selection Sunday is so fun! Can’t wait to fill out a bracket that gets blown up by Friday afternoon.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Selection Sunday used to be fun😪
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And they will be again!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

As hurt as I was when Dan left, I may end up rooting for the leg humpers in the tournament.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I never root for a big east team
1 x