Two $1 Million Gifts for Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Two $1 Million Gifts for Practice Facility

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago I had to look this guy up... He dropped out of URI - has 16 children (11 with an ex-wife and 5 with "multiple women") - 33rd largest land owner in the United States - worth $4.7B. Now THAT is a bio!
Wow so this dude's dad just died and left him and his brother $4.4B!? And that ignores the land he owned on his own??

I guess we can be thankful for the 0.06% we got. Better than nothing. I cannot fathom spending $3M on anything and not having it affect your life at all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... landowners
Has URI found its T. Boone Pickens? Good lord, those numbers are just mindboggling. My Powerball wildest dreams are completely and totally inadequate next to that
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great Bloomberg article. You don't want to mess with this dude.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... landowners
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great news! Lets break ground today!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is amazing news. Really amazing. Thank you to the Soloviev Family!!!!!! Very generous and a much needed infusion to help athletics.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Encouraging news for us underachievers - he's a billionaire URI dropout. And his dad is a billionaire dropout too. Runs in the family.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Awesome news.

Would love to see them really honor the past greats in the practice facility. Mobley, Tyson, EC, Silk, etc should be all over that place. We have been playing a long time, were pioneers in uptempo basketball, celebrate that heritage. And finally give some props to our all time greats.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Awesome news.

Would love to see them really honor the past greats in the practice facility. Mobley, Tyson, EC, Silk, etc should be all over that place. We have been playing a long time, were pioneers in uptempo basketball, celebrate that heritage. And finally give some props to our all time greats.
Absolutely needs plaques in the hallways honoring and listing all their accomplishments here.

Easy sell for recruits taking a tour to see all the greats and what they did with their time here.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Plaques? You need full wall murals of the all-time greats.
5 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I hope the jazz the hell out of it with URI accomplishments, past players ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wooooahh is this real???

How does that happen!?

But this dudes name on the building for all I care! Woo!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

"As the heir to his father's fortune, Soloviev is one of the wealthiest people in the United States.[3]"
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago "As the heir to his father's fortune, Soloviev is one of the wealthiest people in the United States.[3]"
...And his interest in raising URI's profile through Top-tier Athletics. Woop, woop!!!!!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago "As the heir to his father's fortune, Soloviev is one of the wealthiest people in the United States.[3]"
...And his interest in raising URI's profile through Top-tier Athletics. Woop, woop!!!!!!
Maybe this is just the beginning?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Maybe this is just the beginning?
Man that would be something. Like Christmas as a kid if it happened.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great news!

This is what it will take to elevate the BB program facilities wise, to where they want to go.

So many programs are largely dependent on big money from donors. And we're one of them.
0 x
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

I’m pretty sure this is a 2 phase project. This 8 million completed the funding to complete phase 1 which is the practice facility itself.

I believe another 8 million is needed to complete phase 2 which will be locker room, offices, film rooms, etc.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 3 years ago I’m pretty sure this is a 2 phase project. This 8 million completed the funding to complete phase 1 which is the practice facility itself.

I believe another 8 million is needed to complete phase 2 which will be locker room, offices, film rooms, etc.
Haven’t seen that reported anywhere.
0 x
Go Rhody
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Plaques? You need full wall murals of the all-time greats.
There was some mention of a focus on sports related art in the press release
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyMadness072 wrote: 3 years ago I’m pretty sure this is a 2 phase project. This 8 million completed the funding to complete phase 1 which is the practice facility itself.

.......if accurate, this project is getting mighty pricey......but, I guess if we are in an arms race to compete in our conference and attain the “bar”.......all this is necessary.......money for coaches salary.......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

It’s worth every cent.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Didn't we just spend money on getting all that in the RC?
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago

.......if accurate, this project is getting mighty pricey......but, I guess if we are in an arms race to compete in our conference and attain the “bar”.......all this is necessary.......money for coaches salary.......?

There is nothing showing a $16 million budget for this project. Nothing on twitter, Facebook, GoRhody, Instagram, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Didn't we just spend money on getting all that in the RC?

I will say this about the locker room.

Yes it’s redone recently and looks new, but to me, it is extremely tiny and pretty standard and boring.

I saw a video on twitter months back when a rare Fordham W, and their locker area looked much nicer than there’s.
0 x
Go Rhody
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Great news!

Loved this quote, "Supporting Thorr's vision of building a nationally competitive basketball program is something I'm extremely passionate about and committed to," said Soloviev. "Achieving this will benefit the student-athletes, athletic program, and the University as a whole. The University of Rhode Island changed my life and made me the person I am today. I am very grateful that I am able to help move the University forward."

Love this man! What he is saying is music to all our ears.

And this quote in the Suffolk Times (Long Island) from April of last year, not related to the donation also says a lot about him as a human being... I will say it again... I love this man.

"Mr. Soloviev says the wheat they grow in Colorado is ready for human consumption, and is not used for ethanol or animal feed.

“It goes right into the food system,” he said.

But the impact of the coronavirus pandemic has prompted him to consider changes for the use of the North Fork farmland. He originally planned to dedicate a large percentage of that acreage to growing hemp.

“My gut is telling me that we should be planting a lot more food crops than hemp if there’s a food shortage,” he said. “Long Island will be in a better position with more food at this point and not hemp. But hemp is still very important, though.”

Because his Midwest operations make money, he can be more versatile with his North Fork land, he said.

“I want to do what’s best for the community,” he said. “Not making money. We’re making money out west.”
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing we don't need to worry about buyouts going forward? What you say Bone? Seems we may have a benefactor here.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DanInAZ wrote: 3 years ago Great news!

Loved this quote, "Supporting Thorr's vision of building a nationally competitive basketball program is something I'm extremely passionate about and committed to," said Soloviev. "Achieving this will benefit the student-athletes, athletic program, and the University as a whole. The University of Rhode Island changed my life and made me the person I am today. I am very grateful that I am able to help move the University forward."

Love this man! What he is saying is music to all our ears.

And this quote in the Suffolk Times (Long Island) from April of last year, not related to the donation also says a lot about him as a human being... I will say it again... I love this man.

"Mr. Soloviev says the wheat they grow in Colorado is ready for human consumption, and is not used for ethanol or animal feed.

“It goes right into the food system,” he said.

But the impact of the coronavirus pandemic has prompted him to consider changes for the use of the North Fork farmland. He originally planned to dedicate a large percentage of that acreage to growing hemp.

“My gut is telling me that we should be planting a lot more food crops than hemp if there’s a food shortage,” he said. “Long Island will be in a better position with more food at this point and not hemp. But hemp is still very important, though.”

Because his Midwest operations make money, he can be more versatile with his North Fork land, he said.

“I want to do what’s best for the community,” he said. “Not making money. We’re making money out west.”
Yes this is huge and sounds like he is a big URI hoop fan so this can only help us !!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

This certainly brightens up a dark dark winter of Ram basketball.

Thank you!!!!!!!!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks to me that we have the backing to move forward with necessary programs enhancements.

Same for the salary structure for the BB programs.

Someone on another thread said that Cox ought to be steamed that Tammi is going to make the same base salary as he is.

The answer to that is REAL simple....she deserves it big time, she has that program on the rise and is looking for even bigger and better things.

What has Cox done to deserve more? Right now, nothing.

The only thing he should be steamed about, is his own lackluster performance.

And if he keeps his job for next season, that's about all he should expect.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Looks to me that we have the backing to move forward with necessary programs enhancements.

Someone on another thread said that Cox ought to be steamed that Tammi is going to make the same base salary as he is.

The answer to that is REAL simple....she deserves it big time, she has that program on the rise and is looking for even bigger and better things.

It would be interesting see how many schools pay their men’s and women’s coaches the same base salary.

My guess would be less than 5.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Looks to me that we have the backing to move forward with necessary programs enhancements.

It would be interesting see how many schools pay their men’s and women’s coaches the same base salary.

Is UConn one of them?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is UConn one of them?
Oh I have zero idea, didn’t look into it.

Just a total guess on my part.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is UConn one of them?

Yes, Geno makes 2.4 million.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is UConn one of them?

Hurley is 3 million I’m seeing.

Is Geno 2.4 base then rest are incentives?

Is Hurley 3 million base then rest are incentives?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hurley is 3 million I’m seeing.

Is Geno 2.4 base then rest are incentives?

Is Hurley 3 million base then rest are incentives?
Oh, I didn't know Dan was making that much. I thought it was in the low 2's......never mind :D .
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Plaques? You need full wall murals of the all-time greats.
They have this in East for athletes in many sports...
I would imagine they'll do something nice in West for just hoops.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So the big question is..... what is Stefan's handle on this board :D :D :D :D :D
5 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Let us all pray he's not Rhody72
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He could have some influence on decision making here just like TR...when money talks URI listens.

Behind the scenes stuff that us ordinary folks aren't privy to.

I'm sure we'd all love to know what the big shots are thinking lol.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago He could have some influence on decision making here just like TR...when money talks URI listens.

Behind the scenes stuff that us ordinary folks aren't privy to.

I'm sure we'd all love to know what the big shots are thinking lol.
I'll be curious to see what happens if this guy and Tom have very passionate but opposite views on decisions. Tom has the track record/"length of service" but, if what has been reported on here is accurate, Tom's net worth is a rounding error compared to this new guy so Tom will always be out-bid on things like influence.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

These guys of course have influence, but the buck stops at the URI president's door.

We found that out, when Dooley nixed the hiring of Pitino.

Now that Dooley is about to retire, what the next president's views are, are critical.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Would like to see someone with connections to the state house.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Would like to see someone with connections to the state house.
I hope not. We need a qualified candidate, not some lap dog that gets handed jobs for being connected
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Would like to see someone with connections to the state house.
I hope not. We need a qualified candidate, not some lap dog that gets handed jobs for being connected
We need someone who can go to the State House and convince all the mental hospital alumni and yahoos therein to support their state university.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Seth Magiziner was a big advocate of keeping Hurley a few years ago.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago These guys of course have influence, but the buck stops at the URI president's door.

We found that out, when Dooley nixed the hiring of Pitino.

Now that Dooley is about to retire, what the next president's views are, are critical.
By 2022 it could be a lot easier to hire someone like Pitino...5 years out from the scandal.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Pitino wants to move back up to coaching at a higher level, as long as there are no additional issues, my guess is he will.

The interest will be there. But no way can we afford his buyout.....I doubt even our new billionaire friend would want to pay that lol.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If Pitino wants to move back up to coaching at a higher level, as long as there are no additional issues, my guess is he will.

The interest will be there. But no way can we afford his buyout.....I doubt even our new billionaire friend would want to pay that lol.
If someone wanted to pay Pitino's buyout they could just as easily pay Hurley's and commit to his vision of a winning program here. Then he could build his own legacy instead of chasing Calhoun's.

I think that ship has sailed. Rick is significantly closer to retiring than trying another rebuild.

Trust that Thorr is going to use the next year to put feelers out to your Pat Kelseys or Darien DeVries and see if they'd be interested in coming here after next season. No point in firing Cox if you don't have a plan for how we get back to respectability.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If Pitino wants to move back up to coaching at a higher level, as long as there are no additional issues, my guess is he will.

Sorry 78', a big no for me.
Pitino at age 70 with a very sketchy past, I just don't feel it.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Rhowdy-why not put your hat in the ring?
You have the URI austerity plan already in practice.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

7 x