The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I'm going senior year Abdul over both Mike and Luther. Luther was a monster during that NCAA run and Mike was a do-it-all player that was tough as nails. But when Abdul got going he was soooo smooth offensively with an NBA like game.
His mid range jumper was pretty sweet!!!!
Eric Leslie should be in the discussion for best transfer, but I like Abdul Fox.
Also Kuran Iverson was a nice addition.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Eric Leslie would not be in any discussion for me

#1 Irv Chatman
#2 Kuran Iverson
#3 Luther Clay
#4 Stanford Robinson
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Eric Leslie would not be in any discussion for me

#1 Irv Chatman
#2 Kuran Iverson
#3 Luther Clay
#4 Stanford Robinson
Surprised you have Irv Chatman at #1, I was actually a little disappointed with him and expected more, he was really hyped when he came here.
No love for Abdul Fox?
I can understand Eric Leslie, many didn't like him even though he put up big stats.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Leslie was a scorer, not a shooter. Gunners score points but efficiency wins games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good call on Abdul F didn’t he average over 15 per game on the 93 team that beat the Big Dog ?? Also he was on the 92 NIT team
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Leslie was a scorer, not a shooter. Gunners score points but efficiency wins games.
Yes, that was a turn off with Leslie, but I wouldn't necessarily apply that to Fox.

Chatman should of been a 10 rebound guy, questionable hands, and couldn't score if he wasn't under the basket, he had the worst stroke.
I always thought he was overrated.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Good call on Abdul F didn’t he average over 15 per game on the 93 team that beat the Big Dog ?? Also he was on the 92 NIT team
Yes they did beat Purdue that year, Cofield had 22 pts. that game and Fox did average about 15 pts. The following year he averaged about 18 pts.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe Fox came off the bench in 93 and led team in scoring that’s instant offense off the bench
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago I believe Fox came off the bench in 93 and led team in scoring that’s instant offense off the bench
He did start that game against Purdue, and all games the following year 93'-94'
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

3-guard lineup with Frenchy Tomlin, Herb Dixon, and Eric Leslie. Up front Ben Eaves as my stretch-5 and Roland Fiore as my undersized power forward.

Now that's a great URI transfer starting five!!!

(Four McGlynn as my 6th man in the guard rotation and David Bialski up front. Take that.)
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

No love for Josh King starter on the Elite 8 squad!

GO RHODY!
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

How about Mergin Sina
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URIFIJI wrote: 3 years ago How about Mergin Sina
Sina was great one time he let me in the back door at Keaney I didn’t have a ticket he came out to get some fresh air and I walked in to the game
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If all here stay, that means they are happy with shitty coaching, unlike Tyrese and Jacob.
Has either said that? I'm more concerned with players leaving because of the shitty environment - lousy facilities and amenities, poor fan support.
...mean message boards...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Today alone over 40 players entered the Portal, starting to see the free for all.
Lots of high scoring players from lower conferences moving on, including quite a few post grads taking advantage of the additional year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Today alone over 40 players entered the Portal, starting to see the free for all.
Lots of high scoring players from lower conferences moving on, including quite a few post grads taking advantage of the additional year.
This might just be me, but if a player has played 4 full years at the same school and leaves to use his free 5th year elsewhere, I don’t consider that a true “transfer.”
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Today alone over 40 players entered the Portal, starting to see the free for all.
This might just be me, but if a player has played 4 full years at the same school and leaves to use his free 5th year elsewhere, I don’t consider that a true “transfer.”
True, although I think they are still listed as transfers because they are changing schools prior to their eligibility running out.
Many of these post grads listed in the portal have gone to multiple schools.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Perhaps I missed it, but what about Scott Hazelton?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Perhaps I missed it, but what about Scott Hazelton?
Absolutely, his last year here (2004-05) was great.
Also if we include JUCO transfers how about Xavier Munford.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Perhaps I missed it, but what about Scott Hazelton?
Mumford holds a special place for me - one of the key pieces in Hurley's first years that helped get the ball rolling and build a culture, but graduated before the fruits of the labor were realized.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Mumford holds a special place for me - one of the key pieces in Hurley's first years that helped get the ball rolling and build a culture, but graduated before the fruits of the labor were realized.
Also our first NBA player since Lamar! That had to have helped Dan recruit some guys when he set foot on the court for Memphis.
2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

All good choices and agree with Ramster about Leslie. His numbers were good but his team attitude was horrific.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

How about Mergin Sena. He transferred from Seton Hall and was a great hard nosed player who could do a little of everything.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Good call on Abdul F didn’t he average over 15 per game on the 93 team that beat the Big Dog ?? Also he was on the 92 NIT team
Fox was a great offensive player and hit a lot of clutch 3's. I remember a lot of games he would come in off the bench and ignite the team. He played with a lot of energy. Definitely one of my favorite players from that era.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago How about Mergin Sena. He transferred from Seton Hall and was a great hard nosed player who could do a little of everything.
Yes, another solid player at URI for 2 years, averaged about 9 pts/7 rebs. His son Jaren Sina went to school in Jersey and also played for Seton Hall.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Some Auburn point guard put his name in the portal was a Top 100 in 2020
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Some Auburn point guard put his name in the portal was a Top 100 in 2020
Saw that earlier
Justin Powell freshman 6'6" PG averaged 12 pts/ 6 rebs/ 5 assists, did have concussion issues this season.
He had major interest coming out in 2020 and is from Kentucky.
The Wildcats may reach out along with many other schools.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Who were transfers who became eligible second semester and had good second half of a season? I can't think of many. It is why I haven't given up on AB.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Who were transfers who became eligible second semester and had good second half of a season? I can't think of many. It is why I haven't given up on AB.
Kuran Iverson.

Walker was decent last year too.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Who were transfers who became eligible second semester and had good second half of a season? I can't think of many. It is why I haven't given up on AB.
It will be a long time before we see AB back on the court and even after he physically recovers he will play very tentative at first. We may never know what he is capable of, I feel so bad for him.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I believe Todd Bozeman transferred into URI way back when from Auburn. He never played at Auburn.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Andre Malone is a more recent Auburn transfer. I liked his game. Unfortunately he was part of some rough teams (Baron’s final year and Hurley’s first year) but averaged double digits his senior year.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I've heard a lot about Irv, but before my time unfortunately.
Not a big scorer, but he didn't have to be with Sly, Jiggy and Stan on that team. Irv averaged about 8 points and 8 rebounds, blocked shots and played tough D.
Irv came from New York. Tennessee recruited him to play center between two other New Yorkers named Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King, but he left. Irv was quick and a good shot-blocker, but he was Manos de Piedra long before anyone heard of Roberto Duran. If he had softer hands, one of those last-second put-backs would have fallen and we would have beaten Duke in the NCAA in 1978. Oh, what might have been ...
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Irv was one of my all time favorites. You could yell out his name anywhere and he would always acknowledge you, most of the time with a smile ear-to-ear.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I remember Irv had the longest arms. Huge wingspan. I remember him and Sly Williams were in my Psych class, big lecture hall. I remember seeing them the first and last days of class but not many in between.. Those were the days....
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I've heard a lot about Irv, but before my time unfortunately.
Not a big scorer, but he didn't have to be with Sly, Jiggy and Stan on that team. Irv averaged about 8 points and 8 rebounds, blocked shots and played tough D.
Irv came from New York. Tennessee recruited him to play center between two other New Yorkers named Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King, but he left. Irv was quick and a good shot-blocker, but he was Manos de Piedra long before anyone heard of Roberto Duran. If he had softer hands, one of those last-second put-backs would have fallen and we would have beaten Duke in the NCAA in 1978. Oh, what might have been ...
Good memory I just looked up the box Irv played 36 minutes shot 1-6 but had 12 boards
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Update below on the NCAA vote for no-sit first time transfers that was delayed in January:

Report: NCAA planning to vote on one-time transfer rule next month
Dustin Schutte | 3 days ago
Student-athletes may soon be able to transfer without consequence, a rule the NCAA has been mulling for quite some time.

Athlon’s Bryan Fischer reported on Monday that the NCAA is expected to move forward with a one-time transfer rule for student-athletes in all sports. This new policy would allow players to transfer to a new school without having to sit out a year before being eligible for the new program.

The vote on the new rule is expected to come during the NCAA’s April meeting, which will take place after the Final Four. If it passes, it would be effective for the 2021-22 academic year.
“Source: NCAA is moving forward with one-time transfer,” Fischer tweeted. “D1 Council will vote on a waiver to allow one-time transfer for the upcoming year (2021-22) at their April meeting after the Final Four.”

Because of the NCAA’s current policies, there’s been a lot of inconsistencies with which student-athletes were approved for an immediate eligibility waiver and those who were denied. A policy that applies to all student-athletes would clear up some of those concerns.

With the COVID-19 pandemic causing multiple issues and concerns over the last year, the NCAA has been slow to move on this policy. However, it sounds like there should be a resolution within the next month.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another player to keep any eye on that can provide immediate help:
Vermont SR. PG Stef Smith (6'2") just entered the portal.
He averaged 14 pts, and America East All-Conference First Team (2020)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Greg Parham just posted an IG Story linking to Rhody. He posted a photoshopped SI cover showing him and Sheppard as Rhodys back court. Shepp reposted and said “what if” or something to that extent.

Parham is a PG from Richmond, averaged 18ppg at VMI and has entered the portal as a grad transfer.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Shepherd and his buddy from Richmond sign me up wil make us competitive
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Greg Parham just posted an IG Story linking to Rhody. He posted a photoshopped SI cover showing him and Sheppard as Rhodys back court. Shepp reposted and said “what if” or something to that extent.

Parham is a PG from Richmond, averaged 18ppg at VMI and has entered the portal as a grad transfer.
Yes , he would be a great 1 year fix.
Not only his scoring 18 pts but shooting over 48% fg and almost 44% from 3pt, Plus averaging 4 assists.
Not sure Cox can pull it off because he has many teams interested.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Greg Parham just posted an IG Story linking to Rhody. He posted a photoshopped SI cover showing him and Sheppard as Rhodys back court. Shepp reposted and said “what if” or something to that extent.

Yes , he would be a great 1 year fix.
Not only his scoring 18 pts but shooting over 48% fg and almost 44% from 3pt, Plus averaging 4 assists.
Not sure Cox can pull it off because he has many teams interested.
Ya, he's awesome. Weird looking shot but it works for him
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Saw that earlier today.

That could be what the doctor ordered.

Hard to think of something working out better than that for us and Cox.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Might as well throw another name out there who just entered the portal because he is relatively close:
Tyson Walker Soph PG from Northeastern, 19 pts/ 44%fg/5 assists, First Team All-CAA.
From NYC.

He scored 36 pts against AB's old team Towson.

TOTAL OF ABOUT 400 TRANSFERS ALREADY ENTERED THE PORTAL.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess we gonna see that a lot best kids in the lower D1 teams want a step up in competition
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's quite a few out there, that you would think would make us better, if they're coached.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Might as well throw another name out there who just entered the portal because he is relatively close:
Tyson Walker Soph PG from Northeastern, 19 pts/ 44%fg/5 assists, First Team All-CAA.
From NYC.

He scored 36 pts against AB's old team Towson.

TOTAL OF ABOUT 400 TRANSFERS ALREADY ENTERED THE PORTAL.
400 and the tournament has not even started - this is the new normal. We were just a year ahead of the curve.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

All of these transfers will likely hasten a decline in interest in college basketball. Tough for fans to grow attached to teams when players are always coming and going each season.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago All of these transfers will likely hasten a decline in interest in college basketball. Tough for fans to grow attached to teams when players are always coming and going each season.
This will increase the feeling of apathy around both college basketball and football, especially coming after this Covid season with empty arenas and stadiums.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As we've seen, the new transfer rules can either help or hurt a program.

Team that have a higher turnover, like us, need good coaching to take advantage of the situation.

When we've been good, it's because we've had a group of players that developed together, and it paid off when they were upperclassmen.

That's in addition to a good coach that can maximize their talents.

What I'm leading to, is right now we don't have that coach.
0 x