Who’ Available- Who do we want (To replace DC)?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who’ Available- Who do we want (To replace DC)?

Unread post by RF1 »

I believe that URI presently pays one of the lowest salaries to a head coach in the A-10. I think I have read that the only coach that makes less is Mckillop at Davidson which is a very special case.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone have a recent comparison on how URI compares to the rest of the A10 in MBB spending?
I feel like every time someone compiles that data, URI comes in around fourth. Am I making that up or does that seem accurate? Or maybe that was with the previous coach’s salary?
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago I think they should make Fatts the head coach!
Player/coach Fatts Russell. I’m buying season tickets and driving the four plus hours up for each and every game. Make it happen! :)
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone have a recent comparison on how URI compares to the rest of the A10 in MBB spending?
I feel like every time someone compiles that data, URI comes in around fourth. Am I making that up or does that seem accurate? Or maybe that was with the previous coach’s salary?

Most recent data i found was from 18-19 and we were 6th
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Cox already did. That was kind of the problem.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
ace wrote: 3 years ago

Most recent data i found was from 18-19 and we were 6th
That makes sense. I was probably thinking a few more years ago with 4th. I don’t think any program enhancements were decreased (charters, assistant salary pool, etc) moving from Hurley to Cox, so the head coach’s salary could explain that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I believe from most sources I have seen that URI ranks in the middle of the league for overall spending on Men's basketball. This grouping spends fairly close to one another in the upper $4-5M range. It however lags by several million behind the top schools such as Dayton and VCU.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago A name that hasn't been brought up yet who I would be all for is Pat Kelsey at Winthrop.

Yes I know he backed out at UMass literal minutes before his presser, and those questions would have to be asked, but I think he could be a very good hire here if/when Cox were to be let go.
Another regular season and conference tournament Big South Title for Pat Kelsey.

23-1 entering the tourney.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I believe from most sources I have seen that URI ranks in the middle of the league for overall spending on Men's basketball. This grouping spends fairly close to one another in the upper upper $4-5M range. It however lags by several million behind the top schools such as Dayton and VCU.
You are quite correct.

Middle of the league spending usually results in middle of league standing.

Unless you have a coach such as Schmidt.

There's a reason Dayton and VCU are good most years. They invest the most in their programs.

We are middle of the pack mediocre.

Thorr and co. talk big, deliver little.

It's been that way for many years at URI, and I doubt it will ever change.

When we have a really good coach, we'll outperform our spending level...that's what it takes....and it only lasts as long as we can keep that coach.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago I believe from most sources I have seen that URI ranks in the middle of the league for overall spending on Men's basketball. This grouping spends fairly close to one another in the upper upper $4-5M range. It however lags by several million behind the top schools such as Dayton and VCU.
You are quite correct.

Middle of the league spending usually results in middle of league standing.

Unless you have a coach such as Schmidt.

There's a reason Dayton and VCU are good most years. They invest the most in their programs.

We are middle of the pack mediocre.

Thorr and co. talk big, deliver little.

It's been that way for many years at URI, and I doubt it will ever change.

When we have a really good coach, we'll outperform our spending level...that's what it takes....and it only lasts as long as we can keep that coach.
Bone that's being a bit facetious. URI offered DH $2M+ when uconn came calling. $2M+. I think the money was there, just a day late and a dollar short.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I heard half that 2m was from boosters.

No way URI could have afforded all of that.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I think Thirr offered DH that contract knowing he wouldnt take it. He was already out the door. Thorr did this strictly in attempts to save face IMO.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At least boosters seem willing to fork over big bucks for the right coach.

That will help down the road, when we get better coaching, hopefully.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I heard half that 2m was from boosters.

We borrowed from the endowment to get DH's last contract. The school was doing everything it could.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I heard half that 2m was from boosters.

We borrowed from the endowment to get DH's last contract. The school was doing everything it could.
For the next coach, we might have to do that again.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
You see a path to the dance next year with Crutcher, Watson, Chatman and Jordy leaving? Or I guess some of them might return, but its looking tough regardless.
Crutcher is averaging 18 ppg, Watson 16, Chatman 8, and Jordy 7p and 8r, all seniors. Hard to say who, if any, comes back from those 4.

The 4 incoming freshmen are highly touted.

Will have only 1 senior, Weaver, who only averaged 4 ppg.

1 junior, Cohill, returning from injury, only averaged 2 ppg.

6 sophomores, 1 averaging 10 ppg, the other 5 less than 10 ppg.

I am down on Grant, so I will say no nccat, but if some of the seniors return, who knows? Maybe some of the freshmen push them over the top.

Coaching is so important, it's a huge part of everything IMO. Very hard to overcome a coaching problem.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI lacks the money to hire an established D1 coach as well as the courage to rebuild the athletic program from scratch in order to get the necessary money.. Although Jimmy has never coached at any level, he was a college coaches son for all his life. He knows what the job entails and he knows what it takes to be a great basketball player. I believe that he can excel at all aspects of being a head coach. He is universally respected by the URI community. And, he might come to URI and STAY when he is successful, and not take URI as a stepping stone when other opportunities come knocking.

Think outside the box. I know that this is unusual and a risk, but it is one that is worth taking. That said, I want Dave Cox to remain our head coach but if he were to leave ...
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago URI lacks the money to hire an established D1 coach as well as the courage to rebuild the athletic program from scratch in order to get the necessary money.. Although Jimmy has never coached at any level, he was a college coaches son for all his life. He knows what the job entails and he knows what it takes to be a great basketball player. I believe that he can excel at all aspects of being a head coach. He is universally respected by the URI community. And, he might come to URI and STAY when he is successful, and not take URI as a stepping stone when other opportunities come knocking.

Think outside the box. I know that this is unusual and a risk, but it is one that is worth taking. That said, I want Dave Cox to remain our head coach but if he were to leave ...

^^dumb. Kid has never recruited once in his life. Been playing pro ball overseas up until very recently. Zero coaching experience but yea sure lets hire a KID as our next HC. This is lunacy. "His father was a college coach" yup he was and he was horrendous!
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago URI lacks the money to hire an established D1 coach as well as the courage to rebuild the athletic program from scratch in order to get the necessary money.. Although Jimmy has never coached at any level, he was a college coaches son for all his life. He knows what the job entails and he knows what it takes to be a great basketball player. I believe that he can excel at all aspects of being a head coach. He is universally respected by the URI community. And, he might come to URI and STAY when he is successful, and not take URI as a stepping stone when other opportunities come knocking.

I like your thinking outside the box. I can see Jimmy being a really good coach one day. If I were a NEC school, I’d listen. Probably needs that first stop to learn and prove himself like Hurley at Wagner.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jimmy B needs to get into coaching gradually at the assistant level he nowhere close to becoming a head man yet
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jimmy is working at IMG Academy. He’s started the process. He’ll likely have very good options soon to go into personal high level training or coaching.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Stop responding to the troll
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Rhody72 is the best troll on this board. There's only a couple but he is by far the best. Can't believe people take his comments seriously.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, we could use him here for teaching proper shooting techniques, especially FT shooting.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Like I said, we could use him here for teaching proper shooting techniques, especially FT shooting.
Who, Jimmy or '72? :lol:
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have 72 for comic relief.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

The message to Thorr should be.... hey Thorr you want 3,500 people per game for the big games and 2,500 for the crap games in the Ryan center or 5,000 plus per game? Should be an easy answer
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Season tickets renewals are likely to be down for next season due to the virus...it will likely still be too early to go back to normal...and even if it was, a lot of people will be hesitant to go not just because of the virus, but because we will suck again.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Season tickets renewals are likely to be down for next season due to the virus...it will likely still be too early to go back to normal...and even if it was, a lot of people will be hesitant to go not just because of the virus, but because we will suck again.
I'm in next year suck or not. That's being a true fan. You root for your team through thick and thin. Ever since walking on the uri campus and going to my first game at keaney in 1976 I switched allegiance from the dreaded black and white to keaney blue.. have seen many teams that suck but going to the games with my wife is something we both look forward to and will hopefully be able to get back to in November. Even if it means wearing a 🎭..
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Season tickets renewals are likely to be down for next season due to the virus...it will likely still be too early to go back to normal...and even if it was, a lot of people will be hesitant to go not just because of the virus, but because we will suck again.
I'm in next year suck or not. That's being a true fan. You root for your team through thick and thin. Ever since walking on the uri campus and going to my first game at keaney in 1976 I switched allegiance from the dreaded black and white to keaney blue.. have seen many teams that suck but going to the games with my wife is something we both look forward to and will hopefully be able to get back to in November. Even if it means wearing a 🎭..
It took me like 15 years before my wife went to a Rhody game with me. Said she didn't like basketball. I brought her to the Rhody Pub her first game at the RC, had some beers with friends and now she is a die hard. It's a great night out for sure.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Maybe McDermott is/will be available now...

ETA: If he had said 'reservation' instead of 'plantation'...would it be any less of thing?
"Creighton’s Greg McDermott reinstated for Big East Tournament"
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

:evil:
ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago
This was me in the fall of 1986 10 years later my first game was at Keaney we played Penn St and jumped to a 22-3 lead this was Garrick’s and Owens JR season and Penders first year and I was hooked forever
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Been there, done that?
<ETA: Posted before I read blueman's post>
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Watching Bryant I think I’d be out on Grasso.

It’s Iona under Cluess. Fun story, rooting for them, but a lot of chuck and pray with a zone D.

I’m only half kidding when I say I’d love Tammi Reiss.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Watching Bryant I think I’d be out on Grasso.

It’s Iona under Cluess. Fun story, rooting for them, but a lot of chuck and pray with a zone D.

Agreed.

How about that big guy in the middle for MT St Marys.

Let's trade JH for him...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed.

If I was on a search committee for our next coach, the first thing I would require would be someone who can and does run excellent half court offense.

I am sick and tired of watching URI teams stand around on offense and chuck and duck like Blue Man just said.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Agreed.

If I was on a search committee for our next coach, the first thing I would require would be someone who can and does run excellent half court offense.

I am sick and tired of watching URI teams stand around on offense and chuck and duck like Blue Man just said.
Yes. No more iso and die!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's almost like a requirement that URI teams play shit half court offense and miss too many FT's. Especially when trying to protect a late lead.

That happened even with Hurley a few too many times.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wonder if Grasso takes Fordham job if offered ??
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Yea after watching last night I'm out on Grasso.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I wonder if Grasso takes Fordham job if offered ??
He shouldn't. That job will be a dead end until they move down and with what he's got coming back he can have another good year at that level and should be in line for better jobs
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Agreed.

Honestly this is what I expected from Cox. He was going to take the Hurley D and improve on the offensive side. What we have gotten is a confusingly poor offense (at least Hurley ran some sets) and worse D. NOW, I do not know how much of the failure on offense is personnel related. You need guys committed to moving the ball in the positionless offense Cox did trying to run and as much as I love Fatts, you can’t really make the switches with a guy who is under 6 feet. A bunch of guards and wings who can handle the ball outside, bang inside, shoot well and have good instincts are needed for this to run correctly. In the last game against Dayton there was a missed play where DJ cut for what would have been an open alley-oop from Makhel. Pass was a little high but I think that is the kind of looks we should be able to get in this positionless offense.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I can't believe that most of our players are that dumb, that they can't run a motion offense with multiple sets.

The BB IQ question is there though....we haven't had many guards that can "see the floor"....mostly we've had the type that puts their heads down and try to drive to the hoop, leaving others wide open spectators. Obviously Jeff was an exception, and Ish shows promise.

Many teams have a bunch of athletes but not basketball players. But it's still up to the coach to get them to execute....
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

Honestly this is what I expected from Cox. He was going to take the Hurley D and improve on the offensive side. What we have gotten is a confusingly poor offense (at least Hurley ran some sets) and worse D. NOW, I do not know how much of the failure on offense is personnel related. You need guys committed to moving the ball in the positionless offense Cox did trying to run and as much as I love Fatts, you can’t really make the switches with a guy who is under 6 feet. A bunch of guards and wings who can handle the ball outside, bang inside, shoot well and have good instincts are needed for this to run correctly. In the last game against Dayton there was a missed play where DJ cut for what would have been an open alley-oop from Makhel. Pass was a little high but I think that is the kind of looks we should be able to get in this positionless offense.
There have definitely been some nice moments under Cox. But the motion never lasts because we are so inconsistent. Constantly switching which guards run the offense.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

This has probably already been mentioned, but if Cox gets fired eventually, then I think you have to start looking at Thorr as being part of the problem for hiring the wrong person. But, Thorr did hire Hurley, so I guess Thorr gets a mulligan.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago This has probably already been mentioned, but if Cox gets fired eventually, then I think you have to start looking at Thorr as being part of the problem for hiring the wrong person. But, Thorr did hire Hurley, so I guess Thorr gets a mulligan.
Hiring Cox was not only completely defensible, it was probably the right move. The wrong move is keeping him after this year when we know who he is at this point. You can't give a first time coach who has shown no growth a big leash, you have to be ready to cut bait on that hire when it goes south, like it has here
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 3 years ago This has probably already been mentioned, but if Cox gets fired eventually, then I think you have to start looking at Thorr as being part of the problem for hiring the wrong person. But, Thorr did hire Hurley, so I guess Thorr gets a mulligan.
He hired Tammi Reiss who just took URI from #11 preseason poll to #4. Coach of the year in A10.
In just her second year for all those who think you need to give 4 years to a coach.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Hiring Cox was not only completely defensible, it was probably the right move. The wrong move is keeping him after this year when we know who he is at this point. You can't give a first time coach who has shown no growth a big leash, you have to be ready to cut bait on that hire when it goes south, like it has here
CUT BAIT

Lol

Yeah he easily made the most sense.

He understood the culture. Was going to maintain the recruiting class.

You just hope that when he is fired the next coach doesn't have a bare cupboard day one.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thorr was stuck between a rock and a hard place.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
My thoughts also I was for the hire at first I felt the continuity was important but now I feel he is not good for the job so the sooner he goes the better it will be
1 x