Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote: 3 years ago Top 10 Rams since 2007 (when I enrolled):

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jimmy Baron
5. Will Daniels
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Delroy James
8. Fatts Russell
9. Stan Robinson
10. Xavier Munford

In terms of Fatts and his legacy, we will always have the game against Oklahoma. That's how I will remember him at URI. I think the expectations for Fatts following that game we're probably too lofty. I do feel it was a letdown in that he was never able to ascend to become "the man" and lead his own URI team to the dance.
Oh my god I completely forgot about Brooks. Holy moly he had zero touch around the rim. Also,

124,796. Je...nah, nevermind. 8-)
2 x
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jimmy Baron
5. Will Daniels
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Delroy James
8. Fatts Russell
9. Stan Robinson
10. Xavier Munford

In terms of Fatts and his legacy, we will always have the game against Oklahoma. That's how I will remember him at URI. I think the expectations for Fatts following that game we're probably too lofty. I do feel it was a letdown in that he was never able to ascend to become "the man" and lead his own URI team to the dance.
Best thing is under Cox that play never would of been my favorite URI play ever cause f Cox would of called a timeout on EC’s made basket!!

GO RHODY!
3 x
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

Fatts did more for the team than JB, more of a complete player. JB was one of the purest shooters I've ever seen.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fatts was the most controversial player since I've been a fan old enough to remember players (2002). But he's one of my favorites to wear a Keaney Blue Jersey, along with EC, and Delroy, and Jimmy etc. He made you so mad for going 1 on 5, but then would hit the game-winner in dramatic fashion. He was part of the greatest Rhody squad in the past 20 years and his name was known around the country. Not only because everyone knew where his nickname came from, but because he was the guy to watch out for. I'm glad we beat Dayton on Senior night and I wish we could have given him a better way to end his college career, but I wish him the best of luck. Go Rhody.
1 x
GO RAMS
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 years ago Top 10 Rams of the 2000s:

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Jimmy Baron
4. Hassan Martin
5. Delroy James
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Fatts Russell
8. Will Daniels
9. Xavier Munford
10. Kahiem Seawright

Embrace debate.

No one that never led THE URI RAMS to a Big Dance game should ever ever be ahead of someone who did. Sorry it’s the only measuring stick

GO RHODY!
Jimmy had a better career than Fatts, playing in a tougher era of the Atlantic-10.
0 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Very short memories ! Who was that guy who lead URI in the last 2 VICTORIES against the PeeCee criers ? Go Fatts !! You're the BEST AND ALL the BEST TO YOU !! THANK YOU .
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jimmy Baron
5. Will Daniels
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Delroy James
8. Fatts Russell
9. Stan Robinson
10. Xavier Munford

Best thing is under Cox that play never would of been my favorite URI play ever cause f Cox would of called a timeout on EC’s made basket!!

GO RHODY!
True + hilarious
2 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Fuck you bitches. You all don’t have 10% of the balls this kid has. Compared on the same level as Eric Leslie? Are you fucking kidding? I’m not saying he is Silk, Pappy or Tommy but get a clue.
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Report now is that he possibly played the last few minutes with a broken wrist.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jimmy Baron
5. Will Daniels
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Delroy James
8. Fatts Russell
9. Stan Robinson
10. Xavier Munford

GO RHODY!
True + hilarious
Agree on the top 3 may have Jimmy move down a bit and Dowtin move to 4th
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

EC>Jared.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 years ago Top 10 Rams of the 2000s:

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Jimmy Baron
4. Hassan Martin
5. Delroy James
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Fatts Russell
8. Will Daniels
9. Xavier Munford
10. Kahiem Seawright

Embrace debate.
Top 10 is subjective - but if we’re talking “best” that I was building around:

Correct order should be
Jared
Jeff
Hassan
EC
Will Daniels
Jimmy
Delroy
Stan
Fatts
Xavier
No love for Ulmer or Cothran here?

Agree. on Ulmer and Cothran who holds 5th and 6th places in Season Steals, 2nd all time steals to Russell

Cyril Langevine 9th best career rebounding average. Only player in 2000's to be in the Top 10. Different game today with so many rebounds by guards because of 3 point shooting. Langevine was a ferocious rebounder. 5th and 8th in most rebounds in a season (only player from the 2000's in the top 10 rebounders)

Also consider:
Dawan Robinson
Brian Woodward
Parfait Bitee - 6th best career 3PFG 38.7%
Marquis Jones - 4th all time assists

I'd take Will Daniels over several in the top 10 list. Phenomenal player who was held back by his Head Coach at times

Fun Fact as I went through the record books:

Tom Garrick is 9th in record books for most blocked shots in a season with 59 to tie ARD. Only guard in the Top 10. What a great player Garrick was.
Career 3-Point FG%
#1 46.2% Carlton Owens (126-273) (1984-88)
#2 44.4% Tom Garrick (52-117) (1986-88)

The two best 3PFG Career Shooters played together!! Amazing. I'll never forget the Garrick scoring 50 points vs Rutgers March 7, 1988. Tied for most points ever in a single game.

We have had some great shooters at URI.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago EC>Jared.
Absolutely not.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nope.

Sopohmore EC had all the looks of that, but he was never the same after his injury. If EC had not gotten hurt, I would agree to that statement. Jared easily ended up the better player.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Nope.

Sopohmore EC had all the looks of that, but he was never the same after his injury. If EC had not gotten hurt, I would agree to that statement. Jared easily ended up the better player.
Yes and he should have been taking more last second shots in his career. Like the Oregon game, knew we were doomed when we had EC just pounding out the ball. Should've gone to JT.

However, JT didn't really show up at all in the 2018 tournament and EC showed up big time. EC was like the only dude not scared of Duke.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The Fatts vs. Jimmy Baron comparison is both insane and fun, because it shows two absolute extremes when it comes to contributing value to a team. People keep bringing up Fatts' FG percentage and mentioning that he's a volume shooter as a pejorative, and I remember similar criticisms of guys like Xavier Munford and Dawan Robinson. This kind of overlooks the fact that even getting like a 35 percent look in D1 college basketball play is *hard*. There is value in even the ability to create a low percentage shot, because the alternatives for plenty of players are a turnover or a shot lower than 20 percent. (See: How URI's offense was when Fatts wasn't in the lineup.)

Jimmy Baron's efficiency stats were sky high, but if you gave him the ball at halfcourt and said, "Create something," it probably would have been a pass or a turnover. However, he's such a dangerous weapon on the offensive end that you pretty much have to devote at least one defender, and sometimes more, to following him around at all times. Heck, he would have been incredible on this year's team - with him and Sheppard out there, URI would have had a personnel answer for zones.

Bill James once wrote in one of his yearly baseball books that the best player on any team usually gets more of the credit and more of the blame than he deserves. I think that's the case with Fatts this year. Looking at his overall production, he was around 15th or so in win shares in A10 play, and that was playing through injury. He's fine. He wasn't a first-team all-A10 guy, but he also wasn't a negative, and he was clearly the best player on the team. The larger issue is that after him, you had a really promising freshman (Ish), an average PG (Sheppard), two OK big men (Walker and Mitchell), and a bunch of junk from 6 to 10 on the roster that you couldn't count on giving you five good minutes. I guess if anything, I'm really pessimistic on 2021-22, because you basically need to forecast a big leap from Ish AND a freshman immediately playing big minutes for us to even get to the level of this year's team.
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago The Fatts vs. Jimmy Baron comparison is both insane and fun, because it shows two absolute extremes when it comes to contributing value to a team. People keep bringing up Fatts' FG percentage and mentioning that he's a volume shooter as a pejorative, and I remember similar criticisms of guys like Xavier Munford and Dawan Robinson. This kind of overlooks the fact that even getting like a 35 percent look in D1 college basketball play is *hard*. There is value in even the ability to create a low percentage shot, because the alternatives for plenty of players are a turnover or a shot lower than 20 percent. (See: How URI's offense was when Fatts wasn't in the lineup.)

This is so dumb. I don't even know what to say. You are either contributing to winning, are neutral, or are contributing to losing on every possession. That many empty possessions game after game make it really hard to win consistently. Do you know how hard it is to get a shot off in the NBA? And guess what happens when you shoot 35% and 28% in the NBA. Because you are hurting your team. You are told to stop shooting. Just because it is hard doesn't mean there is value when you shoot and miss.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago The Fatts vs. Jimmy Baron comparison is both insane and fun, because it shows two absolute extremes when it comes to contributing value to a team. People keep bringing up Fatts' FG percentage and mentioning that he's a volume shooter as a pejorative, and I remember similar criticisms of guys like Xavier Munford and Dawan Robinson. This kind of overlooks the fact that even getting like a 35 percent look in D1 college basketball play is *hard*. There is value in even the ability to create a low percentage shot, because the alternatives for plenty of players are a turnover or a shot lower than 20 percent. (See: How URI's offense was when Fatts wasn't in the lineup.)

This is so dumb. I don't even know what to say. You are either contributing to winning, are neutral, or are contributing to losing on every possession. That many empty possessions game after game make it really hard to win consistently. Do you know how hard it is to get a shot off in the NBA? And guess what happens when you shoot 35% and 28% in the NBA. Because you are hurting your team. You are told to stop shooting. Just because it is hard doesn't mean there is value when you shoot and miss.
I mean, you and I have a fundamental disagreement on this, because it's a similar complaint you had about Xavier Munford. I think you assume that if Fatts isn't taking a 35 percent shot, instead, Ish is shooting a 40 percent dagger from 3. When in reality, I think instead it is Jalen Carey turning the ball over, or, Malik Martin driving into traffic and shooting a jumper that has less than a 35 percent chance to go in. A low percentage shot is still better than a lower percentage shot, or no shot.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Nope.

Yes and he should have been taking more last second shots in his career. Like the Oregon game, knew we were doomed when we had EC just pounding out the ball. Should've gone to JT.

However, JT didn't really show up at all in the 2018 tournament and EC showed up big time. EC was like the only dude not scared of Duke.
Yea you guys are nuts lol. EC with the worst injury possible for a basketball player, won us tournament games. Jared was great, but EC is remembered as a hero in my book. Go watch those replays.
1 x
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago

I mean, you and I have a fundamental disagreement on this, because it's a similar complaint you had about Xavier Munford. I think you assume that if Fatts isn't taking a 35 percent shot, instead, Ish is shooting a 40 percent dagger from 3. When in reality, I think instead it is Jalen Carey turning the ball over, or, Malik Martin driving into traffic and shooting a jumper that has less than a 35 percent chance to go in. A low percentage shot is still better than a lower percentage shot, or no shot.
What is tough to untangle is coaching vs talent. Early on X was used in a really terrible way and I let that color my opinion on him. That offense was so gross. Danny improved, incrementally, and the sets started to let X show a little better. He actually had a lower usage rate the next year and took a smaller % of shots. And was a better player. To the extent that Cox knew how to use Fatts the right way, we will never know. Taking early threes when you are no good at them and contested twos, shot clock aside, is purely coaching. But, these are like Hall of Fame discussions. No one is saying the guy can't play but when you are talking about top 10 or top 20 or whatever, he's just not very close. Also, it's not whether his contested shot is better than a turnover. I'd rather Gil Biruta fire up a 30 footer vs a turnover.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago From Morey Hershgordon ...

Fatts Russell sheds some light on the injuries he played through this year:

1. Says he couldn't walk day after opening game vs. AZ St. (needed a shot in his foot)
2. Sports hernia suffered during first DUQ game.
3. High ankle sprain suffered at Dayton.

That is one seriously tough young man.
And our brilliant coach kept running him out for 35+ minutes a game instead of trying to get him a little healthier for the A10 tournament
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

How come I've never heard of anybody having a low ankle sprain??? When I sprained my ankle, I never thought of my ankle as having a high, mid, or low part. An ankle is an ankle which consists of ligaments (and bone). (Above my ankle is my shin, which I can't sprain because bones don't sprain.)

I don't want to hear about injuries affecting one's game. At the pro level, that's when guys retire or get released. At the college and high school, if injuries are hampering your productivity, then sit out until you can be an asset and not a hindrance. (Going in the way back machine, Willis Reed started at center of Game #7 in 1970 for the Knicks but hardly played because he know he couldn't help the team.)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago How come I've never heard of anybody having a low ankle sprain??? When I sprained my ankle, I never thought of my ankle as having a high, mid, or low part. An ankle is an ankle which consists of ligaments (and bone). (Above my ankle is my shin, which I can't sprain because bones don't sprain.)

I don't want to hear about injuries affecting one's game. At the pro level, that's when guys retire or get released. At the college and high school, if injuries are hampering your productivity, then sit out until you can be an asset and not a hindrance. (Going in the way back machine, Willis Reed started at center of Game #7 in 1970 for the Knicks but hardly played because he know he couldn't help the team.)
I mean, just because you don’t think of your ankle having a high, mid and low part, doesn’t make it true.

You’re going against basic science ignoring different levels of ankle sprains.

You’re also going against common sense saying you don’t want to hear about injuries affecting ones games.
1 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago How come I've never heard of anybody having a low ankle sprain??? When I sprained my ankle, I never thought of my ankle as having a high, mid, or low part. An ankle is an ankle which consists of ligaments (and bone). (Above my ankle is my shin, which I can't sprain because bones don't sprain.)

I mean, just because you don’t think of your ankle having a high, mid and low part, doesn’t make it true.

You’re also going against common sense saying you don’t want to hear about injuries affecting ones games.
"Levels" or "Grades" of ankle sprains is different than the supposed position of the ankle.

Common sense?? Common sense says if injuries are affecting the quality of one's play so much then one should sit out until you've recovered to the point that you 1) can play to an acceptable level that helps your team and 2) do not risk further injury. That's common sense.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

"Levels" or "Grades" of ankle sprains is different than the supposed position of the ankle.

Common sense?? Common sense says if injuries are affecting the quality of one's play so much then one should sit out until you've recovered to the point that you 1) can play to an acceptable level that helps your team and 2) do not risk further injury. That's common sense.

Would you have rather had an 80% Fatts or a 100% Betrand or Carey?
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fatts legacy and significance can’t be summed up by his shooting percentage. Top 10 or 20 lists are by nature subjective. But when you end up in a grouping of Tyson Wheeler and Tom Garrick for any URI milestone you’ve done some significant things. Fatts was #1 on the scouting report for the last 3 years by every coach for a reason. He was sorely under coached in his defense. And he was surrounded by unproven scoring talent (besides Jeff) for all 3 years. He’s the quickest player I’ve seen in Keaney Blue, he had some unforgettable performances and moments in high leverage games against PC (twice), Oklahoma, VCU, WVU. He narrowly missed going for a triple double at 5’10 160 lbs 2 of his last 3 games as a Ram.

He was a loyal and devoted warrior for 4 years and in my book goes down as a Rhody legend.
13 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nope.

Agree...and being there to see the shot the 3 he hit from the logo at PPG is one of my favorite-est shot memories
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Nope.

Agree...and being there to see the shot the 3 he hit from the logo at PPG is one of my favorite-est shot memories
"Terrell from outside, from Kingston...he puts it in!"
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Hard to say who was better. They were different...both Rhody greats.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Fatts legacy and significance can’t be summed up by his shooting percentage. Top 10 or 20 lists are by nature subjective. But when you end up in a grouping of Tyson Wheeler and Tom Garrick for any URI milestone you’ve done some significant things. Fatts was #1 on the scouting report for the last 3 years by every coach for a reason. He was sorely under coached in his defense. And he was surrounded by unproven scoring talent (besides Jeff) for all 3 years. He’s the quickest player I’ve seen in Keaney Blue, he had some unforgettable performances and moments in high leverage games against PC (twice), Oklahoma, VCU, WVU. He narrowly missed going for a triple double at 5’10 160 lbs 2 of his last 3 games as a Ram.

He was a loyal and devoted warrior for 4 years and in my book goes down as a Rhody legend.
This captures all of my thoughts exactly
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Fatts legacy and significance can’t be summed up by his shooting percentage. Top 10 or 20 lists are by nature subjective. But when you end up in a grouping of Tyson Wheeler and Tom Garrick for any URI milestone you’ve done some significant things. Fatts was #1 on the scouting report for the last 3 years by every coach for a reason. He was sorely under coached in his defense. And he was surrounded by unproven scoring talent (besides Jeff) for all 3 years. He’s the quickest player I’ve seen in Keaney Blue, he had some unforgettable performances and moments in high leverage games against PC (twice), Oklahoma, VCU, WVU. He narrowly missed going for a triple double at 5’10 160 lbs 2 of his last 3 games as a Ram.

AMEN BAR. I am with you 100%. Well said my friend.
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago Fuck you bitches. You all don’t have 10% of the balls this kid has. Compared on the same level as Eric Leslie? Are you fucking kidding? I’m not saying he is Silk, Pappy or Tommy but get a clue.
Fatts no doubt had balls and was a very plus defender for his small stature. Also the guy who i wanted taking shots in the final minute due to his fearless attitude. BUT, the kid was a horrible shooter. He could have been so much better if he played like a true PG. Scouts even told him that coming into this season when he debated entering the NBA draft, which was laughable IMO. Did he listen? Nope he did not. Most remember a few key games where Fatts was a stud but choose to ignore dozens upon dozens of games where he shot us out of any chance to be competitive in those games.

He bleed rhody blue but wish he played a game that would have made us better.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Fatts legacy and significance can’t be summed up by his shooting percentage. Top 10 or 20 lists are by nature subjective. But when you end up in a grouping of Tyson Wheeler and Tom Garrick for any URI milestone you’ve done some significant things. Fatts was #1 on the scouting report for the last 3 years by every coach for a reason. He was sorely under coached in his defense. And he was surrounded by unproven scoring talent (besides Jeff) for all 3 years. He’s the quickest player I’ve seen in Keaney Blue, he had some unforgettable performances and moments in high leverage games against PC (twice), Oklahoma, VCU, WVU. He narrowly missed going for a triple double at 5’10 5' 8"160 lbs 2 of his last 3 games as a Ram.

Fixed it for you. ;)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He should never have taken the point from Dowtin. Worst coaching decision I have seen.
4 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I think the kid has been playing hurt all year and really has not complained about it that I know of. You have to respect that. I have always liked fatts game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago I think the kid has been playing hurt all year and really has not complained about it that I know of. You have to respect that. I have always liked fatts game.
He shouldn’t have had to. His coach should’ve been an adult and taken care of Fatts health first.

A hurt Fatts helped no one. A rested, healthy Fatts could’ve probably changed a lot about the season.

Because Dave Cox is either too immature, soft, or ignorant to be the adult or the head coach and reign Fatts in - he cost this team any chance of success this season, cost Ish or Berry chances at development, and in turn cost Fatts a legitimate shot at the next level.

Every kid who’s a competitor wants to play through injuries. That’s Rucker park shit.

Theres a reason you have coaches on the bench - to guide, protect, and develop these kids. What Fatts’ wanted to do and what was best for him were two different things. It was Dave Cox’s job to do the latter. He did not.

People lauding Fatts for being so tough misses the mark. He shouldn’t have to have been. Probably the worst in a laundry list of failures Cox gave us this year.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago I think the kid has been playing hurt all year and really has not complained about it that I know of. You have to respect that. I have always liked fatts game.
He shouldn’t have had to. His coach should’ve been an adult and taken care of Fatts health first.

A hurt Fatts helped no one. A rested, healthy Fatts could’ve probably changed a lot about the season.

Because Dave Cox is either too immature, soft, or ignorant to be the adult or the head coach and reign Fatts in - he cost this team any chance of success this season, cost Ish or Berry chances at development, and in turn cost Fatts a legitimate shot at the next level.

Every kid who’s a competitor wants to play through injuries. That’s Rucker park shit.

Theres a reason you have coaches on the bench - to guide, protect, and develop these kids. What Fatts’ wanted to do and what was best for him were two different things. It was Dave Cox’s job to do the latter. He did not.

People lauding Fatts for being so tough misses the mark. He shouldn’t have to have been. Probably the worst in a laundry list of failures Cox gave us this year.
I agree with you on Cox I knew he was in deep trouble one of the first few games he coached. I believe Fatts took a shot even though the play was not designed for him or something like that. I think Fatts made the shot and you won the game but imo cox had to call him out on that and as far as I know he did not. I think you lose the respect of the other players on something like that.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The Harvard game, correct?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup the Harvard game Fatts went against coaches orders and put the dagger in the Harvard Crimson
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago He should never have taken the point from Dowtin. Worst coaching decision I have seen.
I think taking the primary point guard job from Jeff helped his development. Jeff is a much better offensive player because of it. Also, ball was going to get stuck with Fatts once he passed to him anyways. May as well try to get Fatts to buy in on assists.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

From his Insta.

limitless.fatts I don’t even know where to start! What this program and community means to me can’t be put in words!!! Rhode Island you will forever hold a different place In my heart💙 Thankyou for embracing me and showing me the same love I have for you all!!!! I will always consider Rhode Island a second home!!! Love always!!! #uno #out #limitless™
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago From his Insta.

limitless.fatts I don’t even know where to start! What this program and community means to me can’t be put in words!!! Rhode Island you will forever hold a different place In my heart💙 Thankyou for embracing me and showing me the same love I have for you all!!!! I will always consider Rhode Island a second home!!! Love always!!! #uno #out #limitless™
Fatts R a true class act !! Good luck in your next chapter
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jimmy Baron
5. Will Daniels
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Delroy James
8. Fatts Russell
9. Stan Robinson
10. Xavier Munford

Ha. I love how Aris made the list. Same rank I had him at. Well done.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago He should never have taken the point from Dowtin. Worst coaching decision I have seen.
I think taking the primary point guard job from Jeff helped his development. Jeff is a much better offensive player because of it. Also, ball was going to get stuck with Fatts once he passed to him anyways. May as well try to get Fatts to buy in on assists.
Jeff won the NBA G league Championship. As a point guard.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Yes. He is a better pro point guard because he increased his offensive game playing off the ball.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Yes. He is a better pro point guard because he increased his offensive game playing off the ball.
If standing around and watching the point guard up-chuck 3s is how you improve, all our guys should be going to the NBA.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dowtin struggled playing off the ball.

That was obvious, and it didn't help the team either.

It was done to help Fatts. And keep him here.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Dowtin struggled playing off the ball.

It definitely hurt the team but that doesn’t mean Jeff didn’t get better because of it. Jeff was a very consistent PG and good distributor but his offensive game was limited. He is a better pro PG because of the time he worked on an uncomfortable part of his game, playing off the ball which is necessary in a pro offense.

I don’t think Cox did it to make Jeff a better player, he obviously did it to fit Fatts into the rotation as more than just a energy guy off the bench. Fatts needed a role on the roster and 2 guard wasn’t it. The ultimate problem with the experiment is he lack of growth in Fatt’s shooting. If he had become an average shooter it would have worked out fine. He just shot such a low percentage.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Dowtin struggled playing off the ball.

It definitely hurt the team but that doesn’t mean Jeff didn’t get better because of it. Jeff was a very consistent PG and good distributor but his offensive game was limited. He is a better pro PG because of the time he worked on an uncomfortable part of his game, playing off the ball which is necessary in a pro offense.

I don’t think Cox did it to make Jeff a better player, he obviously did it to fit Fatts into the rotation as more than just a energy guy off the bench. Fatts needed a role on the roster and 2 guard wasn’t it. The ultimate problem with the experiment is he lack of growth in Fatt’s shooting. If he had become an average shooter it would have worked out fine. He just shot such a low percentage.
Limited????? It may have seemed limited, but only because he chose to look for others first. When nothing else was working, he was perfectly capable of running off eight or 10 points in a row. He was quick enough to get to the basket and a much more reliable outside shooter than certain others who shall remain nameless.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.