Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts

Unread post by reef »

Agree I am in the camp that thinks Fatts had a spectacular career here on the Naismith list even though didn’t have a good senior year compared to last year
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1500+ pts., 400+ assists....only 3 others have done it, Silk Owens, Tyson Wheeler and Tommy Garrick. Incredibly, Silk and Tommy played together in the same backcourt for 4 years.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago 1500+ pts., 400+ assists....only 3 others have done it, Silk Owens, Tyson Wheeler and Tommy Garrick. Incredibly, Silk and Tommy played together in the same backcourt for 4 years.
Yes incredible stat indeed 78
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

He absolutely had a spectacular career. But his career .357 shooting percentage from the field (and .282 from 3-point range) cannot be ignored in any discussion about his legacy.
1 x
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

FG % not where you want but his defense, he will pick your pocket all day. I don't think URI has anyone better.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I would say great career, yes. Likely better than most would have predicted when they first laid eyes on him. Legend? I would say no. To me, you need no holes in your game to be a legend and his shooting deficiencies have been widely discussed for most of his career.
I feel his on ball defense has been lacking lately. I didn’t see last night’s game, but Crutcher had his way with him for most of the game and so did Bishop. Whether it’s due to injury or too much gambling at times can be debated. Sometimes it may be because he feels the need to leave his man to help out a teammate, which may be true at times.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The jury is still out.

His career will be defined in the next two weeks IMO.

The stats are great. No question. Fatts will go down as one of the quickest players I’ve ever seen. Gifted passer. Disruptive defender. “Big game” player.

The players who are his statistical equals led teams in their senior seasons to unquestionable heights.

Fatts best career highlights as it pertains to this team’s success came as a freshman spark plug off the bench in some big spots.

His game against PC that got Hurley his first rivalry win. The steak and shot against Trae Young.

If Fatts puts this team on his back, goes full Kemba, and leads this team to an A10 championship and NCAA birth? He’s unquestionably legendary.

But if we go out in a first round bust? You can’t put him in that legendary company.

Probably our most buzzworthy player who I don’t think you could say was properly coached into a position to maximize his talents for the betterment of the team and himself.

Either way, hopefully he has time to live up to the hype and lead this team to its most improbable championship yet.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Fatts fits into the Eric Leslie category for me. Great scorer but didn’t make others better around him.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will say spectacular career but somewhere between 10 and 20 on the all time great list
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Very good but not great player.

If he could shoot, he would qualify as great.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For comparisons and arguments sake, how would we have fared this season and last with Munford instead of Fatts?

Both volume shooters, with bad %s.

Munford with a tad higher on both FG and 3s, obviously much taller as well.

Fatts better defender and passer.

And for scoring, it’s pretty much even in my opinion.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Thanks for everything Fatts. You literally gave everything you had to this program and school and I will forever be grateful for that no matter how it turned out.

You deserved better.

You deserved a coach who was going to put you in positions to win instead of letting you do what you want.

You needed a boarding school or a military academy and you got 3 years of summer camp where you could do whatever your heart desired instead of be trained to do what you were great at.

You will go down as one of the greatest that ever could have been in my book, but you gave me some of the best memories I'll have of this program.

Thank you.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Fatts best moments came in his freshman and junior season. I would say his sophomore and senior seasons were below average to put it nicely. He was an exciting player to watch at times, but by no means was he one of the top 10 players at URI.
4 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Very good but not great player.

If he could shoot, he would qualify as great.
He is a grinder and a very good perimeter defender. And he seems like a really good kid. But, you just can't wash away 35% on 1400 shots. 28% from three. Not when it's with 3 or 4 rebounds and assists. That actively made it hard for URI to win games. Maybe if he had some better coaching, he could have been put in better position to succeed. He's the type of player who is more and more valuable the better the team around him. Super sixth man, Microwave Vinny Johnson type who might not start but could finish games because he defends and knock down FTs. He was exposed this year when he had bigger burden.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Fatts fits into the Eric Leslie category for me. Great scorer but didn’t make others better around him.
100% agree about the Eric Leslie comparison. I've posted this prior about Fatts...

Frosh - role player off the bench
Soph - high volume, low percentage shooter who couldn't shoot straight nor take care of the basketball
Jun - outstanding season, although Jeff Dowtin did much of the heavy lifting that made Fatts look great
Sen - closer to his sophomore season than anything

28% career 3-pt shooter and 35.7% FG overall. This is not a spectacular career. He is not all time great. He never led URI to any greatness. It doesn't make me or anybody else a "hater" for stating that. Facts are facts...and Fatts is Fatts.

Jeff Dowtin's career was greater than Fatts'. (And a lot of other URI players are in the mix as well...)
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I put Fatts with Jimmy Baron. Good player, but never did much on the National level.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I put Fatts with Jimmy Baron. Good player, but never did much on the National level.
Hahahahahah. The NCAA tournament win isn’t national? Are you that dumb?

Being mentioned on every All American preseason list and POY list isn’t the national level?

Unreal to say Fatts didn’t do much when you can’t get more “national level” then having a huge game in an NCAA tourney win.

You are a goddam joke.
3 x
Go Rhody
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Tough crowd here..
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Fatts almost had a triple double the last two games in a row and youre saying he doesnt make those around him better.. gtfo. he has flaws but this year especially its a shit take
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Holy cow. Jimmy Baron is a much better basketball player. Putting the ball through the rim still matters, right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago Holy cow. Jimmy Baron is a much better basketball player. Putting the ball through the rim still matters, right?
And what else did Jimmy do well?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I put Fatts with Jimmy Baron. Good player, but never did much on the National level.

Being mentioned on every All American preseason list and POY list isn’t the national level?

Unreal to say Fatts didn’t do much when you can’t get more “national level” then having a huge game in an NCAA tourney win.

You are a goddam joke.
A joke, he was a freshman role player on that team. He did shit since. Glad we don't have to hear you obsessing over Fatts any more. Harris still screwing your girlfriend?
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago Holy cow. Jimmy Baron is a much better basketball player. Putting the ball through the rim still matters, right?
You don't have to do anything better when it's 1300 shots at 50/43/90% compared to 1500 at 35/28/80%. And let's not make Fatts into Magic Johnson. He averaged 2.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists. The amount of empty possessions make up any difference in the other stuff. By a lot.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats Fatts you had a great career here and gave it your all , good luck in the next chapter
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Ranking of the 2016-2018 Rams:

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jeff Dowtin
5. Fatts Russell
6. Cyril Langevine
7. Jarvis Garrett
8. Stanford Robinson
9. Kuran Iverson
10. Andre Berry

I miss this era.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
You don't have to do anything better when it's 1300 shots at 50/43/90% compared to 1500 at 35/28/80%. And let's not make Fatts into Magic Johnson. He averaged 2.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists. The amount of empty possessions make up any difference in the other stuff. By a lot.
Listen, I'd take Jimmy over Fatts, but saying Jimmy is a MUCH better basketball player than Fatts is ridiculous.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

You are a goddam joke.
A joke, he was a freshman role player on that team. He did shit since. Glad we don't have to hear you obsessing over Fatts any more. Harris still screwing your girlfriend?
Agree completely. It is either how awful Harris is or how great Fatts was. Fatts obviously had a nice career, but was responsible for 0 tournaments for URI
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We'll always have Trae Young, 41 at La Salle, 32 at West Virginia, all those floor-length sprints with an incredible finish against a player a foot taller ... God Bless You Daron.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 years ago Ranking of the 2016-2018 Rams:

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jeff Dowtin
5. Fatts Russell
6. Cyril Langevine
7. Jarvis Garrett
8. Stanford Robinson
9. Kuran Iverson
10. Andre Berry

I miss this era.
That's a helluva squad.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You are a goddam joke.

Second leading scorer in the Oklahoma game, along with an iconic steal and 3.

But yea, nothing on the national level.

I look forward to you and everyone else obsessing over Harris next season though, should be glorious.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago

You are a goddam joke.
Agree completely. It is either how awful Harris is or how great Fatts was. Fatts obviously had a nice career, but was responsible for 0 tournaments for URI

Second leading scorer in an NCAA tourney win = zero responsibility?
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

From Morey Hershgordon ...

Fatts Russell sheds some light on the injuries he played through this year:

1. Says he couldn't walk day after opening game vs. AZ St. (needed a shot in his foot)
2. Sports hernia suffered during first DUQ game.
3. High ankle sprain suffered at Dayton.

That is one seriously tough young man.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago From Morey Hershgordon ...

1. Says he couldn't walk day after opening game vs. AZ St. (needed a shot in his foot)

Yet people continued to shit on him giving 110% and praise other stiffs.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......step way from the Bud heavies......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

And Cox said he finished today's game basically playing with one arm.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Why. Was. His. Coach. Playing. Him. 40. Minutes. A. Night.

Again. The team needed a healthy Fatts. We all said it.

Irresponsible. Be the adult. Lead your players.

If Fatts gets rest maybe things turn out different. Ish gets more minutes to grow and lead.

Again. Irresponsible, immature leadership from our “coach. “
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Why. Was. His. Coach. Playing. Him. 40. Minutes. A. Night.

Again. The team needed a healthy Fatts. We all said it.

Irresponsible. Be the adult. Lead your players.

If Fatts gets rest maybe things turn out different. Ish gets more minutes to grow and lead.

Again. Irresponsible, immature leadership from our “coach. “
Blueman, we all know what needs to happen. Will it? Not sure. But are you excited for next year? I'm not.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Fatts ended his career here as a 24% 3pt and a 33% fg player. Let that sink in.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Holy moly didn’t realize it was that bad

Fatts R you are a true warrior !!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Iverson was the second leading scorer in victory over Creighton the year before. I’m not sure I would base you argument on that. Obviously the Oklahoma game, one game against PC and a few others were memorable games for Fatts, but calling him a great shooter or making players around him better were not his strong points. He isn’t the reason they lost this year. The coaching staff and the surrounding so called talent were the reason.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iverson was the second leading scorer in victory over Creighton the year before. I’m not sure I would base you argument on that. Obviously the Oklahoma game, one game against PC and a few others were memorable games for Fatts, but calling him a great shooter or making players around him better were not his strong points. He isn’t the reason they lost this year. The coaching staff and the surrounding so called talent were the reason.
I haven’t seen literally anyone call him a great shooter. He isn’t.

Blue Ram said Fatts never did much on a national level, which 100% unequivocally false.

A10 title, NCAA tourney win being second leading scorer, All A10 first team, on multiple NATIONAL POY/All American lists, preseason first A10.
0 x
Go Rhody
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Top 10 Rams of the 2000s:

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Jimmy Baron
4. Hassan Martin
5. Delroy James
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Fatts Russell
8. Will Daniels
9. Xavier Munford
10. Kahiem Seawright

Embrace debate.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts had a good career here, but so much more was expected after his freshman year.

Some of that was obviously not his fault. We all know the reasons why.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago

Listen, I'd take Jimmy over Fatts, but saying Jimmy is a MUCH better basketball player than Fatts is ridiculous.
I don't know. Much harder to really place a value on that many missed shots. Missed contested 17 footer and then the other team can push the ball but it doesn't show up in a line that looks like 15/4/3. Looks good but doesn't tell the whole story of how much you are contributing or taking from a win. 63% of 1500 shots is too many to overcome in my opinion.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Volume scorer, never reined in by his coach.

It was what it was.

It's over.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not Mike Powell wrote: 3 years ago Top 10 Rams of the 2000s:

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Jimmy Baron
4. Hassan Martin
5. Delroy James
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Fatts Russell
8. Will Daniels
9. Xavier Munford
10. Kahiem Seawright

Embrace debate.
Top 10 is subjective - but if we’re talking “best” that I was building around:

Correct order should be
Jared
Jeff
Hassan
EC
Will Daniels
Jimmy
Delroy
Stan
Fatts
Xavier
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Jimmy Baron
4. Hassan Martin
5. Delroy James
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Fatts Russell
8. Will Daniels
9. Xavier Munford
10. Kahiem Seawright

Embrace debate.

No one that never led THE URI RAMS to a Big Dance game should ever ever be ahead of someone who did. Sorry it’s the only measuring stick

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts would have had a better career if Dan had stayed. Or maybe if he had left 3 years ago lol.

Does anybody doubt that?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Top 10 Rams since 2007 (when I enrolled):

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Hassan Martin
4. Jimmy Baron
5. Will Daniels
6. Jeff Dowtin
7. Delroy James
8. Fatts Russell
9. Stan Robinson
10. Xavier Munford

In terms of Fatts and his legacy, we will always have the game against Oklahoma. That's how I will remember him at URI. I think the expectations for Fatts following that game we're probably too lofty. I do feel it was a letdown in that he was never able to ascend to become "the man" and lead his own URI team to the dance.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

1. Jared Terrell
2. EC Matthews
3. Jimmy Baron
4. Hassan Martin
5. Delroy James