Who’ Available- Who do we want (To replace DC)?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who’ Available- Who do we want (To replace DC)?

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
McRam wrote: 3 years ago PERHAPS Pre-Mature , Many hope not !,

Wondering about Bobby Hurley. Having a terrible season , Probably on chopping block for ASU.

maybe he wants to come back East with family getting older ??
ASU is 7-8 in Conference Play. They have won 3 straight and play Washington State today, with two games remaining with Colorado and Utah.
Anything can happen in Conference Play.

I don't think he is near the chopping block and no way would he drop to A10 level for coaching. NET of 105 for ASU, PAC 12 is a strong conference with 5 teams in the Top 45 in NET
Agreed. Hurley got a 5 year extension a little over a year ago, he isn't going anywhere,

I get a kick out of some of the names tossed around.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He made 2 straight NCAA tournaments at a program that has been down for a while.

He isn't going anywhere.

It would be like URI if Hurley stayed and missed the tourney the year after 2 straight trips.

Dan would have been here for a LONG time after that, if he wanted to.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

FYI...Archie Miller going to be in hot water at end of season if Indiana continues to play like hot garbage and misses the NCAA tournament.

Little Ricky barely kept his job at Minny after last season. He's lost 2 starters to injuries in the last 2 weeks. But not sure if that mitigating circumstance will be enough to save himself. He's never been too popular there. Program no better than when he took over from Tubby.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Agree with your take !5'

I can't see them making a change now in this Covid year. IMO

We can all throw out out pie in the sky names, but Becker would be a good viable candidate
He isn't as sexy a name as others but is an excellent coach, has won over 20 games every year (229-95 record) at Vermont.
Also went to the NCAAT 3 times, would of been 4 if not cancelled last year.
Yeah no to Becker. You two clowns, You and 15, with your Becker. Just No. Not even happening.

Are you gonna be like Rhody72 and just throw shit against the wall with no explanation as to why?

And you act like we’re the only two people who think he would be a good coach here...

Vermont has the Conference POY for the 5th year in a row, one of only five schools to do that in history.

Guy wins all the time, and has multiple NCAAs.
I'm in for Becker as well...has maintained and/or lifted Vermont's dominence in the AE, good X's O's guy and proven D1 coach
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I say we get Tammi Reiss for head coach.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I say we get Tammi Reiss for head coach.
Uh, no.
0 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Uh, no.
i don't think you can detect sarcasm...ever
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
Uh, no.
With the names people are throwing out, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually serious.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Uh, no.
With the names people are throwing out, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually serious.
Get a grip.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Uh, no.
i think he threw it out there more of an acknowledgement of how great of job Tammi has done this year with the womens team, and the fact that I bet she could get the mens team to get after it more then what Cox has done. But I agreed earlier with your post about Becker, spot on
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Thad Matta
John Beilien
Bruce Pearl

There's a couple.
This is very premature, no way do I think they fire Cox this year.

But in the the event it happens down the road, I will play along.

Matta - No, he will stay in the Midwest, probably back to Butler some time
John Beilien- At 68 not sure he would return to college coaching and doubtful it would be here
Bruce Pearl- Went to the final 4 in 2019, not going anywhere for now.
Grasso - No thanks

My favorite/top candidate would be John Becker

Current assistants that may be good head coaches in the future: Kyle Neptune, Brandin Knight, Luke Murray

I think any program in the Northeast looking for assistants should have Preston Murphy and Jim Christian on their short list, that should include us.
I'm a no on Christian on staff. One of his biggest knocks as head coach at BC was how bad he was recruiting in New England and he doesn't seem good enough on the x's and o's to be a real asset to Cox or the next head coach. I'd love to have Preston back, but his time at Creighton would need to be thoroughly vetted
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Hell, if I won Powerball, I would call Thorr tomorrow, and tell him, if you want my LARGE donation....fire Cox today.

The practice facility would become reality right quick....and the East Stands would be no more.
You and I are on the same page when it comes to what we'd do for Powerball winnings, but I would also demand the Carothers banner come down from the Ryan Center rafters
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Agree with your take !5'

I can't see them making a change now in this Covid year. IMO

We can all throw out out pie in the sky names, but Becker would be a good viable candidate
He isn't as sexy a name as others but is an excellent coach, has won over 20 games every year (229-95 record) at Vermont.
Also went to the NCAAT 3 times, would of been 4 if not cancelled last year.
Yeah no to Becker. You two clowns, You and 15, with your Becker. Just No. Not even happening.

Are you gonna be like Rhody72 and just throw shit against the wall with no explanation as to why?

And you act like we’re the only two people who think he would be a good coach here...

Vermont has the Conference POY for the 5th year in a row, one of only five schools to do that in history.

How long has Becker been at VT? Just answer me this, why has he been at VT for so long without an offer from any other school or a move up?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How long has Becker been at VT? Just answer me this, why has he been at VT for so long without an offer from any other school or a move up?

Can say the same thing about McKillop at Davidson. Is he no good too?
2 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He's kinda like Cooley. Can get to the NCAT but can't win.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You may be the only person who basically thinks McKillop can’t coach.

You are such a clown.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You may be the only person who basically thinks McKillop can’t coach.

You are such a clown.
Did I say that? I don't think I did. I said he was like Cooley cause he can't win a damn NCAAT game without Steph Curry.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Thad Matta
John Beilien
Bruce Pearl

There's a couple.
This is very premature, no way do I think they fire Cox this year.

But in the the event it happens down the road, I will play along.

Matta - No, he will stay in the Midwest, probably back to Butler some time
John Beilien- At 68 not sure he would return to college coaching and doubtful it would be here
Bruce Pearl- Went to the final 4 in 2019, not going anywhere for now.
Grasso - No thanks

My favorite/top candidate would be John Becker

Current assistants that may be good head coaches in the future: Kyle Neptune, Brandin Knight, Luke Murray

I think any program in the Northeast looking for assistants should have Preston Murphy and Jim Christian on their short list, that should include us.
I'm a no on Christian on staff. One of his biggest knocks as head coach at BC was how bad he was recruiting in New England and he doesn't seem good enough on the x's and o's to be a real asset to Cox or the next head coach. I'd love to have Preston back, but his time at Creighton would need to be thoroughly vetted
I can see your point on Christian regarding recruiting, need a Murphy type for that. But when hired at BC, he had a good reputation for player development. His head coaching experience would be valuable as an assistant, and he had the best all time winning percentage as a head coach in MAC history (8 seasons with 20 plus wins) prior to being hired by BC .
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Christian been a head coach for 20 years he will either drop down a level or maybe be an assistant at a high Major he not going to be an assistant at an A 10 school
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I doubt that Jim C. will want a job that pays him bread crumbs compared to what he was making at BC.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What do you not like about his coaching? He's a fantastic coach in games which, at this point, I would love to have at our program. My biggest worry with Becker would be if he could recruit at this level. If we paired him with a David Cox type of assistant, I think we'd be right back on top.

As for offers, I'm too lazy to look this up, but I'm pretty sure he turned down a position to coach in the A10 at some point. I also know that his name has come up for the BC position.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with the above post.

Should be a top candidate if interested and available.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

What do you not like about his coaching? He's a fantastic coach in games which, at this point, I would love to have at our program. My biggest worry with Becker would be if he could recruit at this level. If we paired him with a David Cox type of assistant, I think we'd be right back on top.

As for offers, I'm too lazy to look this up, but I'm pretty sure he turned down a position to coach in the A10 at some point. I also know that his name has come up for the BC position.
He turned down a HC offer at Duquesne in 2017 to remain at Vermont.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Although I think Coach Cox is here for a few more years I will play along.

I think the staff must be shaken up. The current roster need some turnover. To many players that are incomplete. We need to find an identity! We clearly are not an elite defensive team.

The Carroll's and Sutton need to go. T.J needs to be reassigned to lower position and except his role. Hire Preston Murphy and a Veteran former Head Coach with NYC/Jersey or New England roots. Third assistant needs to be someone with deep roots in the AAU circuit.

Up and coming Coach with Head Coaching experience- First Choice- Shaheen Holloway- Queens NY native who is winning at St. Peters! 2020 MAAC coach of the year. I also thing Ryan Odam at UMBC has great potential and Carmen Maciariello at Siena is doing a great job. He is from the Albany area so he might want to stay at Siena longer.

Archie Miller is gone at Indiana and will land another job. Not a big Miller fan but he can coach. Wojo at Marquette could be available soon 0-2 in tourney and feeling the heat.

Current Assistant Coaches- Luke Murray would excite me. Syracuse was great to us with the women's program bringing us Tammi, how about Gerry McNamara. I loved that guy when he played and hearing he might be ready soon?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I honestly don't think a staff shakeup but keeping Cox, would improve this team.

Yes we need more talent on the court.

But the HC runs the ship, and this ship is sinking.

Some guys just have a ceiling, they are successful up until a point, and that's it.

Cox has found his level. Associate HC. Not HC.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who wouldn't have? I guess he has smarts, but 10 years at VT and an offer from Duquesne? Why is that it? Where are all the offers?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I honestly don't think a staff shakeup but keeping Cox, would improve this team.

Yes we need more talent on the court.

But the HC runs the ship, and this ship is sinking.

Some guys just have a ceiling, they are successful up until a point, and that's it.

Cox has found his level. Associate HC. Not HC.
Not at the A10 level that's for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Duquesne's facilities were a joke in 2017.

Much better now, they've made a major investment in their program.

We are still a better job than theirs, though.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Who wouldn't have? I guess he has smarts, but 10 years at VT and an offer from Duquesne? Why is that it? Where are all the offers?
You know some people are built different.
He loves it where he is, his family is happy there.
He was quoted as saying it would take a lot for him to even consider leaving.
Because there isn't a lot of noise surrounding him, it doesn't make him any less of a coach.
He makes a very comfortable living without all the stress of a major program.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Because there isn't a lot of noise surrounding him, it doesn't make him any less of a coach.
That's the concern. Cause it's NCAA OR BUST here Baby!!!!!!!. Stay in Vt Becker, you don't want this.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That's the concern. Cause it's NCAA OR BUST here Baby!!!!!!!. Stay in Vt Becker, you don't want this.
You know things change, kids grow up and move away.
If the right opportunity and location came up, maybe he goes for it.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Why is this even a thread? He’s still the coach. He will be here next year, and the same fickle, fair weather individuals will be singing his praises if he somehow turns things around with both twins available, and possibly Shepard (without Fatts). The verdict is still out, and you all would be foolish to believe he is getting fired after Year 3. The potential is still there, everyone has work to do.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Why is this even a thread? He’s still the coach. He will be here next year, and the same fickle, fair weather individuals will be singing his praises if he somehow turns things around with both twins available, and possibly Shepard (without Fatts). The verdict is still out, and you all would be foolish to believe he is getting fired after Year 3. The potential is still there, everyone has work to do.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Available: L-loyd Pierce
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Imagine the people here who would take Mooney...give our guy a shot but not a leash that long.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Hell, if I won Powerball, I would call Thorr tomorrow, and tell him, if you want my LARGE donation....fire Cox today.

The practice facility would become reality right quick....and the East Stands would be no more.
You and I are on the same page when it comes to what we'd do for Powerball winnings, but I would also demand the Carothers banner come down from the Ryan Center rafters
I wish I could express with words how much I love this comment.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He’s been to more NCAAs than we have since 2000.

You continue to sound more idiotic with your
Becker takes.

“Stay in Vt Becker, you don’t want this.” — What the hell do you even mean with that stupid comment?
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......sounds like some Bud Heavies may have kicked in......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Imagine the people here who would take Mooney...give our guy a shot but not a leash that long.
I imagine the Richmond fans are all over C Mooney ?? They have been the biggest disappointment as they were in position to dance last year and have now crapped themselves in a late season swoon with everyone back !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......sounds like some Bud Heavies may have kicked in......
And not just today
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Imagine the people here who would take Mooney...give our guy a shot but not a leash that long.
I imagine the Richmond fans are all over C Mooney ?? They have been the biggest disappointment as they were in position to dance last year and have now crapped themselves in a late season swoon with everyone back !!
They did lose a starter before the season started with an ACL, but with their multiple pauses it’s definitely been a disappointing season for them. They still had 4 starters back, multiple 1000 point scorers and the best perimeter defender in the league.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Why is this even a thread? He’s still the coach. He will be here next year, and the same fickle, fair weather individuals will be singing his praises if he somehow turns things around with both twins available, and possibly Shepard (without Fatts). The verdict is still out, and you all would be foolish to believe he is getting fired after Year 3. The potential is still there, everyone has work to do.
1000% agree it’s foolish to even think he’s getting fired after this season, this thread needs to go away until he is actually let go.

Every single coach who gets fired in the NBA (yes the NBA, people have said Brad Stevens and Lloyd Pierce 🤣🤣) and NCAA will get mentioned here for no reason.
0 x
Go Rhody
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

D.C. Rams, I appreciate your inside information on the board and you obviously have a connection to Coach Cox. If we were to grade and evaluate the current state of the program you would have to agree it is trending down. I have stated before that I like Coach Cox but he and his staff have done a terrible job this season. We have progressively gotten worse in almost every facet of the game with the exception of turnovers. We are lost! We have enough talent in that locker room to perform better. The Coach must be held accountable. He has been out coached and out prepared too many times. I guess for Coach Cox's future he better hope the Mitchell's and If Sheppard comes back they save his job?

I'm not sure what his philosophy and Identity he is trying to establish. We are no longer an elite defensive team. We are a poor shooting team. We are a very low assist team- meaning we don't share the ball and are unable to create for others(I know it's Fatts fault). We are not the Running Rams. We went from being a physical team six weeks ago to being a bunch of push overs. The list goes on....

I am at a loss with how to defend this staff and Coach. This is his team and it sucks. I can tell you most of us are far from fair weather fans and I find that insulting. There is no team I love more and vested into. I stepped on campus in 1989 and have been in love with everything Rhody.

It is painful watching this happen. Most of us have been through this before and have read the script. it ends like shit. Our guy has one year or I would imagine Thor and the new president will move on. Be well and I hope you don't think I am attacking you? Just so unimpressed with our Coach and the job he is doing.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago
They did lose a starters before the season started with an ACL, but with their multiple pauses it’s definitely been a disappointed season for them. They still had 4 starters back, multiple 1000 point scorers and the best perimeter defender in the league.
Not just starter but one of their stars, Sherod was the best shooter on the team. Still, very disappointing for them
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1000% agree it’s foolish to even think he’s getting fired after this season, this thread needs to go away until he is actually let go.

Every single coach who gets fired in the NBA (yes the NBA, people have said Brad Stevens and Lloyd Pierce 🤣🤣) and NCAA will get mentioned here for no reason.
I also agree, we shouldn't get caught up with this now. Cox will be back, so we need to move on.

I blame myself too for playing along, but for further down the road.

Lots of work to be done in the off season, for this team to be respectable again. There is some potential but many gaps need to be filled in.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My daughter went to school at UVM. I wouldn't want to leave there either.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not completely true. I said Pierce, but only and specifically because I wanted to say "L-loyd."
I honestly never heard of the guy til I read about him getting axed today...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

"fickle, fair weather". I've been here long before Cox became an assistant here and I'll be here long after Cox gets fired here, which is far more than anybody can say about you
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't. Looks like his success has been built on one group of players a decade ago and he's been riding that reputation since. We gave Cox a shot, he's failed. If we're serious about our men's basketball program it's time to move on
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

I literally say this EXACT same statement every time I buy a lottery ticket... Im not kidding. Its almost weird you posted it.
0 x