David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by reef »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago Not including this current dumpster fire season - Doesnt DC have 2 FULL seasons left on this contract? Why would anyone even consider extending him this offseason? Did I read that right?

I mean I want to fire him like tomorrow, I dont think he's a head coach - period end of story, but if I am URI and if we are talking any sort of extension - I dont even pick up the phone until this time next year. Let the man completely fizzle out in style - just so all the DC lovers can be sure we aren't parting ways with the next John Wooden.

To life after DC... and I am sure I am going to get heat for this ... try to find another Hurley. A younger HEAD COACH who has already show consistent improvement at a lower level program and is looking to make a step up.

Sure you might have a bumpy road in the beginning but at least you have an experienced head coach with growth potential. That is upside we dont have with DC. We have a team now that is essentially duct taped together from the land of misfit toys (transfer portal) because our coach couldn't keep homegrown pieces together. Lets be real ... there is no magic "gel" with a team FULL of transfers. IMO - Transfers usually leave their respected teams because of a "me-me-me" attitude (yes there are exceptions). Its very hard to get an entire squad of guys who previously were only concerned about themselves to miraculously learn to play together as a team. What I am getting at is... we are going nowhere now lets at least start with someone new who can eventually get us somewhere.

Finally - For those saying we will be just another stepping stone for a coach like Hurley... FINE. SO WHAT?! I will gladly watch years of consistent improvement culminating with multiple tournament bids and tournament wins --- even if it meant I was going to lose the coach --- rather than watch what Ive seen the last 3 years... a slow death spiral to nowhere.
I agree with this also find the next Danny Hurley who is on the rise and has some head coaching experience at the D1 level
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We won the regular season title just 3 years ago. Now we sit in 10th place, under .500. Damn this has soured fast.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago You are what your record is. Your record reflects your level of talent.
Our incoming talent is consistently overrated over the last 3 years.
Our record since Cox took over, reflects on the talent level and the coaching.

It's always some combination of both.

But, ultimately it's the coach's job to recruit, manage, and coach, it's his program and no one else's.

He bears the sole responsibility for performance in the end.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago You are what your record is. Your record reflects your level of talent.
Also, maybe more important is how the staff develops and brings out the talent in these players, regardless of their *'s
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How many think this team will be better next year? We lose Fatts and Sheppard, the only two players who score in double digits (although barely). This isn't even like Baron. It's worse.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
Our record since Cox took over, reflects on the talent level and the coaching.

It's always some combination of both.

But, ultimately it's the coach's job to recruit, manage, and coach, it's his program and no one else's.

He bears the sole responsibility for performance in the end.
and Ultimately Rambone, it's the title "NCAAs or BUST!"

Which is based on:
  • Overall W/L Record
  • Conference W/L Record
  • Conference Tournament Performance
  • NET
All the other discussion is in regard to how you did or didn't get to there, just noise
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......besides the prediction contest being a “humdinger” next year......next year I see Rhody being mid pack range.......no matter who the coach is....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......besides the prediction contest being a “humdinger” next year......next year I see Rhody being mid pack range.......no matter who the coach is....
It would have been very interesting to have had the prediction contest this year

Picked preseason by A10 Coaches to finish 6th but the vast majority, if not all, of KB posters felt that 6th place finish too low. Bill Koch voted URI as 3rd in the A10 - certainly NCAA Tournament level prediction. Many said Malik would make us forget Tyrese, Toppin was not much of a loss.

Nobody would have predicted URI 10th or 11th. A lot of time was spent complaining about Fordham from our glass house.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......besides the prediction contest being a “humdinger” next year......next year I see Rhody being mid pack range.......no matter who the coach is....
With no roster movement and not counting any seniors returning in the conference a 7th place finish isn't far fetched.
Bonnies & VCU should finish at the top
Followed by: UMass, Davidson, GW, and Dayton (good freshman and top recruiting class)

We can either jump up a few spots or drop depending on what the staff can or cannot get out of this team.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
With no roster movement and not counting any seniors returning in the conference a 7th place finish isn't far fetched.
Followed by: UMass, Davidson, GW, and Dayton (good freshman and top recruiting class)

We can either jump up a few spots or drop depending on what the staff can or cannot get out of this team.
A 7th place finish. Nuff said
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago How many think this team will be better next year? We lose Fatts and Sheppard, the only two players who score in double digits (although barely). This isn't even like Baron. It's worse.
My expectations are low I think we are a .500 team overall and 9-9 conf next year
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

A 7th place finish. Nuff said
Finish 7th while beating the Bonnies and VCU again.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago How many think this team will be better next year? We lose Fatts and Sheppard, the only two players who score in double digits (although barely). This isn't even like Baron. It's worse.
My expectations are low I think we are a .500 team overall and 9-9 conf next year
I'm with you Reef. Unless something drastically changes, we might be .500 and even in conference. But I'm not as optimistic as you. I think we will be worse.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago Not including this current dumpster fire season - Doesnt DC have 2 FULL seasons left on this contract? Why would anyone even consider extending him this offseason? Did I read that right?

I mean I want to fire him like tomorrow, I dont think he's a head coach - period end of story, but if I am URI and if we are talking any sort of extension - I dont even pick up the phone until this time next year. Let the man completely fizzle out in style - just so all the DC lovers can be sure we aren't parting ways with the next John Wooden.

To life after DC... and I am sure I am going to get heat for this ... try to find another Hurley. A younger HEAD COACH who has already show consistent improvement at a lower level program and is looking to make a step up.

Sure you might have a bumpy road in the beginning but at least you have an experienced head coach with growth potential. That is upside we dont have with DC. We have a team now that is essentially duct taped together from the land of misfit toys (transfer portal) because our coach couldn't keep homegrown pieces together. Lets be real ... there is no magic "gel" with a team FULL of transfers. IMO - Transfers usually leave their respected teams because of a "me-me-me" attitude (yes there are exceptions). Its very hard to get an entire squad of guys who previously were only concerned about themselves to miraculously learn to play together as a team. What I am getting at is... we are going nowhere now lets at least start with someone new who can eventually get us somewhere.

Finally - For those saying we will be just another stepping stone for a coach like Hurley... FINE. SO WHAT?! I will gladly watch years of consistent improvement culminating with multiple tournament bids and tournament wins --- even if it meant I was going to lose the coach --- rather than watch what Ive seen the last 3 years... a slow death spiral to nowhere.
I agree with this also find the next Danny Hurley who is on the rise and has some head coaching experience at the D1 level
I’d also take someone who was good but not great at the next level. Say Shaka or Brad Stevens gets canned next year. Sign me up in a second.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Stevens would have his pick of the litter in college jobs I doubt URI would stand a chance
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

I’d also take someone who was good but not great at the next level. Say Shaka or Brad Stevens gets canned next year. Sign me up in a second.
Ayyy now Shaka could maybe happen for sure! I here he is experienced with Rams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Shaka Smart has Texas NET 24 and a 4-seed in CBS Jerry Palm Bracketology. Not soon to lose his job.

Texas currently Ranked #14 in AP Poll
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Shaka Smart has Texas NET 24 and a 4-seed in CBS Jerry Palm Bracketology. Not soon to lose his job.
No chance of either ending up here, move on from those thoughts.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anybody who thinks we will contend for an NCAA berth next season, is stone cold drunk on the kool aid.

Cox might get a couple better players for next season, but it's what he does with it that counts.

And that's the problem.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Anybody who thinks we will contend for an NCAA berth next season, is stone cold drunk on the kool aid.

Cox might get a couple better players for next season, but it's what he does with it that counts.

And that's the problem.
Most of us did early on about next season, including me, based on what we thought the impact of our transfers would be. Not just from the optimism on this board back then, but also from much of the outside hype.

I guess after going through this season we became grounded and reality set in. Doesn't mean all hope is completely lost, maybe AB and Carey will step up. What impact will the freshman have and who will Cox add to the roster?

The biggest question is what did this staff learn from this year and what adjustments will they make next season?
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The learning curve for Cox is beyond steep.

I don't see a huge magical turnaround.

I also thought at the beginning of this season, that we would be good next season.

That feeling is long gone.

Each to his own, though. If some here have any hope remaining, that's fine.

We will find out for sure, one way or the other, pretty soon.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Their expectations are higher than just making the tourney. He has to make some deep runs soon, or he won’t be there much longer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Their expectations are higher than just making the tourney. He has to make some deep runs soon, or he won’t be there much longer.
Maybe so,
but I was responding to a comment saying that maybe Smart comes to URI or Brad Stevens to URI. There is a higher chance that Ed Cooley wins another NCAA game than Shaka Smart comes to coach at URI and that’s a microscopic low. :roll: :roll:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We have to see what our roster looks like next year but if nothing drastic happens I wouldn’t expect any kind of post season at all
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

next season ...... next season ......next season .... next season.

I'm starting to see a trend!

There's no way to sugar coat this. We went from a back-to-back tourney game winner to the bottom of the A10. Our players aren't developing and our games resemble a pickup game (turnovers, bad shots, me_ball, defensive breakdowns). Something has to change with this staff!
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A lot is on Cox for in game coaching debacles. But the players that left definitely screwed us too.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahahaha Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens at URI hahahahahah.

Man oh man people continue to amaze me with their posts and thoughts on this program.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Cox will be back next year. (I give a 2% chance he's not.) It's just wishful thinking that he'll be shown the door after this season. As stated before, coaches are generally given 4 years to prove it...unless the program is in a colossal state of disrepair, NCAA violations, etc.

Sorry 10-13 and 7-9 in the A-10 doesn't qualify as colossal state of disrepair.

Jerry D's record qualifies.
Gene Cross at Toledo from 2008-10 qualifies. (Cross went 11–53 in 2 years...plus other baggage.)
Gordie Chiesa qualifies based a player mutiny.
Are you serious? Maybe having to play in a preliminary round of the tournament is not "a colossal state of disrepair"
Remember Newton's "Things at rest will remain at rest, unless an external force acts on it...."

Hiring someone like Luke Murray is a better alternative to what we have now.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago Cox will be back next year. (I give a 2% chance he's not.) It's just wishful thinking that he'll be shown the door after this season. As stated before, coaches are generally given 4 years to prove it...unless the program is in a colossal state of disrepair, NCAA violations, etc.

Sorry 10-13 and 7-9 in the A-10 doesn't qualify as colossal state of disrepair.

Jerry D's record qualifies.
Gene Cross at Toledo from 2008-10 qualifies. (Cross went 11–53 in 2 years...plus other baggage.)
Gordie Chiesa qualifies based a player mutiny.
Are you serious? Maybe having to play in a preliminary round of the tournament is not "a colossal state of disrepair"
Remember Newton's "Things at rest will remain at rest, unless an external force acts on it...."

Hiring someone like Luke Murray is a better alternative to what we have now.

I never knew Cam Newton was that thoughtful. 😀
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Losing 6 out of our last 7 games is brutal.
Probably 1 and done in the A10T, and we will be put out of our misery.

This team doesn't know how to win right now and the staff has no answers.
The players need to be coached up, question is will they?

It is very difficult to have any optimism now and not sure what this group is capable of next season.
Maybe I was too generous In my earlier prediction of a 7th place finish next year.

I wonder if we will hear any explanations on this team's collapse from Cox or something to give us any type of encouragement going forward.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......we will get a word salad of Coach speak.....saying nothing......maybe toss in a “I gotta Coach better.....”
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s a sad state of affairs for URI hoops another bad loss !!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I miss going to the RC so much I was planning on getting season tickets next year. I usually go to 8 or 9 games a year. I changed my mind. I'll go to one to see the RC and get it out of my system. I can't pay to watch this crap.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah smart move 78 I agree with ya
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hey, don't worry fellas. Dave is right on top of things and in control of our destiny according to Bill Koch's tweeted quotes:

Cox on taking away an opponent's top option -- 'We'll continue to address it. We'll be ready for whoever we're lined up against in that first game.

Cox -- 'Hopefully we learn lessons from this regular season. Now we move on to the next part, which is the postseason. It's anybody's games.'

'You look at the top seeds -- VCU or St. Bonaventure -- and we were able to beat those guys.'

Cox -- 'This is the second game in a row where I think our defense just wasn't there.'

'We knew the plays they were running. We're struggling right now defending 1-on-1.'

Cox -- 'We've got to be able to defend much better than that in 1-on-1 situations.'
Last edited by PeteRI 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox sounds more comical by the second

Let’s see if he keeps making excuses when he gets his pink slip
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^ Holy shit.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Hey, don't worry fellas. Dave is right on top of things and in control of our destiny according to Bill Koch's tweeted quotes:

Cox on taking away an opponent's top option -- 'We'll continue to address it. We'll be ready for whoever we're lined up against in that first game.

Cox -- 'Hopefully we learn lessons from this regular season. Now we move on to the next part, which is the postseason. It's anybody's games.'

'You look at the top seeds -- VCU or St. Bonaventure -- and we were able to beat those guys.'

Cox -- 'This is the second game in a row where I think our defense just wasn't there.'

'We knew the plays they were running. We're struggling right now defending 1-on-1.'

Cox -- 'We've got to be able to defend much better than that in 1-on-1 situations.'
Like...that's Jim Baron. I lived through Jim Baron. That's Jim Baron.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Never hire from within AGAIN.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
GO RAMS
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

SHOOT ME!

GO RHODY! As in me Brady1!
Last edited by brady1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago SHOOT ME! As in me Brady 1!!!!

GO RHODY!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"Dave, you mentioned lessons learned this year. Can you rattle off a couple? Any big things that stand out for you this regular season?"

"No, not at this point. No."

Come on, Morey. Don't be so hard on the guy. We've only played 24 games this year.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Dave just digging himself a bigger hole:

"I thought they played hard tonight. They just made a few mistakes defensively and they capitalized on them. But half of their points came from playing 1 on 1 basketball and that can't happen at this level."
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox didn’t want to answer he probably wants to watch the film ??
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

If Morey can.see this, why can't Dave?

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wow. Clueless. No answers. Nothing new, really.

Yes we have another Jim Baron.

Well maybe not...at least Baron beat the bad teams.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

At least CFL could say, “we told our guys they really gotta stop the ball.”
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago "Dave, you mentioned lessons learned this year. Can you rattle off a couple? Any big things that stand out for you this regular season?"

"No, not at this point. No."

Come on, Morey. Don't be so hard on the guy. We've only played 24 games this year.
This is damning. Either he actually can't identify any lessons (bad) or he knows that the biggest lesson of all is that his entire strategy of assembling a team of me-first transfers and promising everyone playing time has failed miserably (also bad).

The Cox gamble has failed. I'm not sad that we tried it. But I'll be sad if we don't move on quickly.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This season has been an abomination and Cox bears most of the blame. Players leaving the program, recruiting misjudgements, poor roster game management, bad fundamentals, lack of good game strategy, etc... is all on him.
2 x