David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by bigappleram »

In the history of KB there aren't many bigger hills to die on than this one...but its entirely on brand.
4 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago The players collectively have not been capable of contributing a total of 200 quality minutes in 1 game. We are weaker in the forecourt than backcourt so I believe having Mahki this year would have made a huge difference. That said, having Jeff Dowtin would make any team better.

It was mentioned above that Ed Cooley makes $3M, I thought it was more like $2.2M. In any case, URI pays its head coach less than a third of what PC pays its coach. URI's budget dwarfs PC's institutional budget. Furthermore, URI was willing to pay DH ~$1.2M three years ago to keep him. The money I mentioned for a head coach is not excessive. As a recruit, I would ask myself whether I would prefer to play for a coach who was worth more than three times another coach with whom I was considering signing. The top paid basketball coach in the country (Calipari) makes > $8M.

As fans and supporters of URI basketball, we need to have far greater expectations of what our coaches are paid. What's happening with the basketball practice facility is even a bigger joke when you compsre it to the Cham[ion's Facility at UMASS. Raise your expectations or it will never happen!
Yea that's what every 17 yo recruit wants to know. Is that coach making 750k or 2 million. I think I need to a coach who makes about 1.65 million that's who I feel comfortable playing for. YOU SIR ARE A MORON!!!!!!!!!
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago ...
Think recruits will be impressed this coach led his team to an 11th place finish in the A10?
They will see a future NCAAT team that they can join that has very good talent.

I believe that you can tell what a program aspires to be by what they pay their head basketball coach. This is why VCU is paying Mike Rhoades $1.5M. Our commitment to David Cox and the talent he is assembling are a much greater concern/interest to recruits than our pandemic year record with the college basketball world in shambles because of the transfer rule and players given an extra year of eligibility.

As for the extension I would give Cox now, I would extend him again next year to $1.5M and 2 additional years when we go to the NCAAT. If you want to be among the best you need to walk the walk. If you pay your coach $700K, you will get a program worthy of a $700K/year coach. Three years ago if URI went looking for a $1.5M per year coach, David Cox would not be our coach. URI has a first time head coach with great potential. These coaches move on to greener pastures.
Come on 72 double his salary ?? Please
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago The players collectively have not been capable of contributing a total of 200 quality minutes in 1 game. We are weaker in the forecourt than backcourt so I believe having Mahki this year would have made a huge difference. That said, having Jeff Dowtin would make any team better.

It was mentioned above that Ed Cooley makes $3M, I thought it was more like $2.2M. In any case, URI pays its head coach less than a third of what PC pays its coach. URI's budget dwarfs PC's institutional budget. Furthermore, URI was willing to pay DH ~$1.2M three years ago to keep him. The money I mentioned for a head coach is not excessive. As a recruit, I would ask myself whether I would prefer to play for a coach who was worth more than three times another coach with whom I was considering signing. The top paid basketball coach in the country (Calipari) makes > $8M.

As fans and supporters of URI basketball, we need to have far greater expectations of what our coaches are paid. What's happening with the basketball practice facility is even a bigger joke when you compsre it to the Cham[ion's Facility at UMASS. Raise your expectations or it will never happen!
Yea that's what every 17 yo recruit wants to know. Is that coach making 750k or 2 million. I think I need to a coach who makes about 1.65 million that's who I feel comfortable playing for. YOU SIR ARE A MORON!!!!!!!!!
I mentioned Cooley makes $3million per year.
He made $2.6 million 5 years ago in 2016.

Then Cooley got the CFL contract for a minimum 20 years worth between $30 and $40 million - a month way from the $2.2 you thought.

Imagine that colossal waste of money? 1 NCAA win.
Excuses on top of excuses from this guy.
His team is way underachieving this year.
He is bringing in fewer Top 100 players every year. Now he is bringing in Atlantic 10 transfers - can’t make this crap up.

On top of that he was afraid to play URI this season. The FDU game was a brilliant move - not.

If you are going to recommend salaries for College Coaches you might do a bit more research. Way off on Cooley.

Imagine $3 to $4 million per year and he won’t play URI? That’s 4 to 5 times what Cox makes. And little incremental to show for it.

Plus he has the new $30 million Practice Facility - he got Breed and Gannt out of high school / whoa. Plus A10 transfers.

Here is the info:

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/ed-c ... nds-sports
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI's BB program is truly fast approaching a major crossroads.

Do they want to compete on a more or less equal basis with the top programs in the A10?

Or do they want to revert to middle of the pack, or worse?

The money race in college basketball never ends.

Program enhancements MUST continue. Has to happen to keep URI as a desirable coaching job and attract strong candidates.

When it comes to the staff, URI made the right choice with what it paid Cox, an unproven coach who has by now proven that he can't cut it at this level. Thorr and Dooley took a chance, and it didn't work out. It happens.

It's going to cost more to bring in the next staff. Again, that's if URI is serious in getting back on the right track sooner rather than later, or maybe never.

That's the biggest issue going forward. I have no idea what they will do, but not much confidence that they will do the right thing.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I honestly think our major donors will have to step up, in order to maintain this program in the top tier of the A10.

URI, by itself, can't afford it. especially in the short term with the damages caused by the pandemic.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Based on solely on personnel and the max potential of each individual player, it isn’t completely beyond the realm of possibility that Rhody could win the conference tournament. Last year we saw the team get incredibly hot for a stretch to go from nowhere near the bubble to safely in the field, only to turn back into a pumpkin as quickly as they arrived. I don’t think this team has been considerably worse than last year’s team save for that hot stretch in the middle of the season, so you can’t categorically rule out a hot stretch for this group and it would be amazing if that aligned with the tournament.

But the reality is that is extremely unlikely and this year’s team is almost completely different from last year’s, doesn’t have the same veteran presence and experience, and to date has shown basically no sign that it has a good four game stretch somewhere in it.
I mean, this team has been much worse than last year. That hot stretch did occur last season, so you really can't pretend like it didn't happen. There was so much more talent last year, as well as team chemistry from playing together multiple years.
So...exactly what I said then?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

(RIP Pete Shelley,)
RIP Pete Shelley for sure. The Buzzcocks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago URI's BB program is truly fast approaching a major crossroads.

Do they want to compete on a more or less equal basis with the top programs in the A10?

Program enhancements MUST continue. Has to happen to keep URI as a desirable coaching job and attract strong candidates.

When it comes to the staff, URI made the right choice with what it paid Cox, an unproven coach who has by now proven that he can't cut it at this level. Thorr and Dooley took a chance, and it didn't work out. It happens.

It's going to cost more to bring in the next staff. Again, that's if URI is serious in getting back on the right track sooner rather than later, or maybe never.

That's the biggest issue going forward. I have no idea what they will do, but not much confidence that they will do the right thing.
I am not going to rush to judgement as fast as you that the Cox experiment is a failure.

You may end up being correct, but I trust the administration's decision on handling the program's future.

I am sure Thorr and Cox talk regularly about expectations and what needs to be done.

I know you are frustrated as many are because we had that taste of success, but we probably need to hold on a little longer and see what happens.

I doubt very much that they will let it go too far without positive results and allow it to turn into another JB debacle.

'
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago URI's BB program is truly fast approaching a major crossroads.

I am not going to rush to judgement as fast as you that the Cox experiment is a failure.

You may end up being correct, but I trust the administration's decision on handling the program's future.

I am sure Thorr and Cox talk regularly about expectations and what needs to be done.

I know you are frustrated as many are because we had that taste of success, but we probably need to hold on a little longer and see what happens.

I doubt very much that they will let it go too far without positive results and allow it to turn into another JB debacle.

'
Agreed. Next year is the year that will tell us. Cox needs some serious improvements though. I mean, some serious improvements. Not players, coaching.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just to follow up, if Cox calls a TO next year in the first game when we are making a run, this board is gonna light up. And if he has a 12 man rotation, Katie bar the door.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

People keep talking about Cox taking timeouts when URI is on a run. Does anyone have a specific example? I have never seen it at any point, yet it seems to be accepted as fact. Calling a timeout after a made basket? Yup, definitely see that. Usually it's after a URI basket ends an opponent run. Calling a timeout when URI is on a 12-0 (or similar) run? Never happened as far as I can recall. A made basket is not a run.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe the time outs kill off a potential run......killing the giddy up, upping the tempo opportunity lost?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago

(RIP Pete Shelley,)
RIP Pete Shelley for sure. The Buzzcocks.
One killer single after another.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago People keep talking about Cox taking timeouts when URI is on a run. Does anyone have a specific example? I have never seen it at any point, yet it seems to be accepted as fact. Calling a timeout after a made basket? Yup, definitely see that. Usually it's after a URI basket ends an opponent run. Calling a timeout when URI is on a 12-0 (or similar) run? Never happened as far as I can recall. A made basket is not a run.
Cox’s time outs after made three’s has pretty much backfired every time. It’s almost comical. Winning URI teams are usually athletes that go on runs to win games.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder what his assistants think about the timeouts.

Do they even question it?
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Cox, not hiring an assistant that had been a previous head coach for sometime was a major error.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brady1,
Was there an assistant in particular you wanted? or are you saying having an assistant who had been a previous head coach in general?
Are you referring to Al Skinner?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago People keep talking about Cox taking timeouts when URI is on a run. Does anyone have a specific example? I have never seen it at any point, yet it seems to be accepted as fact. Calling a timeout after a made basket? Yup, definitely see that. Usually it's after a URI basket ends an opponent run. Calling a timeout when URI is on a 12-0 (or similar) run? Never happened as far as I can recall. A made basket is not a run.
I don't monitor the timeout "timing" like many here, so I am not very knowledgeable about what he is doing wrong or should do differently. It seems the primary issue is Cox calls timeout after URI makes a 3FG and seems posters think that stops momentum. I am not sure why he does this or whether other HCs do a similar thing after a made 3FG.

Automatic "TV" Timeouts" take place 8 times per game as soon as there is a break in action below 16 minutes, 12 minutes, 8 minutes and 4 minutes for both halves.

I personally don't think that when calling Timeouts is an issue, but admit I could be wrong, just don't know. I think there are much bigger problems with the recruiting, retention and overall W/L Record but to the extent this Timeout strategy adds to the overall problem I can get that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Based on solely on personnel and the max potential of each individual player, it isn’t completely beyond the realm of possibility that Rhody could win the conference tournament. Last year we saw the team get incredibly hot for a stretch to go from nowhere near the bubble to safely in the field, only to turn back into a pumpkin as quickly as they arrived. I don’t think this team has been considerably worse than last year’s team save for that hot stretch in the middle of the season, so you can’t categorically rule out a hot stretch for this group and it would be amazing if that aligned with the tournament.

But the reality is that is extremely unlikely and this year’s team is almost completely different from last year’s, doesn’t have the same veteran presence and experience, and to date has shown basically no sign that it has a good four game stretch somewhere in it.
I mean, this team has been much worse than last year. That hot stretch did occur last season, so you really can't pretend like it didn't happen. There was so much more talent last year, as well as team chemistry from playing together multiple years.
So...exactly what I said then?
yes
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago ...
Reef, seriously, how can URI be a quality program when we pay our head coach less than a third of what PC pays Ed Cooley? URI needs to pay the position for the results we expect. Fans are paying ticket prices worthy pf a big-time college program.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......hey 72, this may be out of your expertise, but gotta ask, where are the funds to raise the Coach salary into that range coming from?......do you like parking fees?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree that URI needs to step up what they pay their basketball staff.

But not this staff. This staff hasn't done anything to warrant more pay.

If they deserved it, they would get a raise and an extension. Not going to happen at this point.

The donors who were going to pay to keep Hurley, were not willing to pay for an unproven coach.

Smart decision, as it turned out.

The next staff, since URI will have learned its lesson, will be better qualified and will be paid more to start.

They will have to be paid more, or they won't get who they need.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago David Cox is neither of the age nor does he have the personal characteristics of someone who is going to stop demanding the best of himself. You need to project what he will be like in 2-3 years. There are so many ways that you can incentivize a contract to make him want to stay here and be rewarded for program success. David is not a mediocre individual; he is exceptional. It is much easier to take over different program than move over one seat; he has just gone through this transition. There is too much of the rhode islander mentality here that prevents us from achieving greatness. The treatment of David to date is not inspiring; it's an invitation to pay your dues and move on. It is time recognize his talent and support him accordingly. I'm all in.
We did that 3 years ago. Is he where you thought he would be? In what areas is he better than you thought he would be 3 years ago? Worse? Same?
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Reef, seriously, how can URI be a quality program when we pay our head coach less than a third of what PC pays Ed Cooley? URI needs to pay the position for the results we expect. Fans are paying ticket prices worthy pf a big-time college program.
By this logic, all we need to do is pay him $15 million per and we’ll win the national championship.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Coaches salaries? Cooley vs Cox? Let's be serious. Revenue sources of PC and the Big East vs URI and the A 10?
Cooley does a decent job going up against some serious competition. Also, Michigan came knocking for Cooley did a great job of playing that for the rediculously big contract. He's no Hurley. I don't see anyone knocking on Coach Cox's door for some time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cooley $3M to $4M per year. They don’t announce because it’s a private school. Plus he has 25M Practice Facility with no uptick in recruiting player quality
Michigan was lucky they dodged rhe “still only one NCAA win” Cooley

Cox .75M per year

Nobody is offering either one.

PC Cooley NET = 80
URI Cox NET = 100
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are getting what we paid for....no more than that.

We hoped we were getting a bargain if Cox proved to be a good coach...no such luck.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
I don't monitor the timeout "timing" like many here, so I am not very knowledgeable about what he is doing wrong or should do differently. It seems the primary issue is Cox calls timeout after URI makes a 3FG and seems posters think that stops momentum. I am not sure why he does this or whether other HCs do a similar thing after a made 3FG.

Automatic "TV" Timeouts" take place 8 times per game as soon as there is a break in action below 16 minutes, 12 minutes, 8 minutes and 4 minutes for both halves.

I personally don't think that when calling Timeouts is an issue, but admit I could be wrong, just don't know. I think there are much bigger problems with the recruiting, retention and overall W/L Record but to the extent this Timeout strategy adds to the overall problem I can get that.
Agree, Ramster. The timeouts issue is pretty low on my list. I think it's a bit overblown here, and I notice timeouts after made baskets happen a decent amount across the college landscape. Mike Rhodes employs the same strategy. If the take is "Cox never calls a timeout to stop an opponent's run" then I totally agree. But in terms of the timeouts he does take, I don't see it as a huge issue.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The timeouts issue is low on the list, when it comes to the overall coaching.

Agreed. A lot more serious problems than that.
1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Not including this current dumpster fire season - Doesnt DC have 2 FULL seasons left on this contract? Why would anyone even consider extending him this offseason? Did I read that right?

I mean I want to fire him like tomorrow, I dont think he's a head coach - period end of story, but if I am URI and if we are talking any sort of extension - I dont even pick up the phone until this time next year. Let the man completely fizzle out in style - just so all the DC lovers can be sure we aren't parting ways with the next John Wooden.

To life after DC... and I am sure I am going to get heat for this ... try to find another Hurley. A younger HEAD COACH who has already show consistent improvement at a lower level program and is looking to make a step up.

Sure you might have a bumpy road in the beginning but at least you have an experienced head coach with growth potential. That is upside we dont have with DC. We have a team now that is essentially duct taped together from the land of misfit toys (transfer portal) because our coach couldn't keep homegrown pieces together. Lets be real ... there is no magic "gel" with a team FULL of transfers. IMO - Transfers usually leave their respected teams because of a "me-me-me" attitude (yes there are exceptions). Its very hard to get an entire squad of guys who previously were only concerned about themselves to miraculously learn to play together as a team. What I am getting at is... we are going nowhere now lets at least start with someone new who can eventually get us somewhere.

Finally - For those saying we will be just another stepping stone for a coach like Hurley... FINE. SO WHAT?! I will gladly watch years of consistent improvement culminating with multiple tournament bids and tournament wins --- even if it meant I was going to lose the coach --- rather than watch what Ive seen the last 3 years... a slow death spiral to nowhere.
5 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Cox didn't have to accept the position if he didn't like the salary package that was offered. And he's done nothing to date to deserve an increase in that package. Next season will be telling. If he doesn't drastically improve URI's program, he's not the guy at any price.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago Not including this current dumpster fire season - Doesnt DC have 2 FULL seasons left on this contract? Why would anyone even consider extending him this offseason? Did I read that right?

I mean I want to fire him like tomorrow, I dont think he's a head coach - period end of story, but if I am URI and if we are talking any sort of extension - I dont even pick up the phone until this time next year. Let the man completely fizzle out in style - just so all the DC lovers can be sure we aren't parting ways with the next John Wooden.

To life after DC... and I am sure I am going to get heat for this ... try to find another Hurley. A younger HEAD COACH who has already show consistent improvement at a lower level program and is looking to make a step up.

Sure you might have a bumpy road in the beginning but at least you have an experienced head coach with growth potential. That is upside we dont have with DC. We have a team now that is essentially duct taped together from the land of misfit toys (transfer portal) because our coach couldn't keep homegrown pieces together. Lets be real ... there is no magic "gel" with a team FULL of transfers. IMO - Transfers usually leave their respected teams because of a "me-me-me" attitude (yes there are exceptions). Its very hard to get an entire squad of guys who previously were only concerned about themselves to miraculously learn to play together as a team. What I am getting at is... we are going nowhere now lets at least start with someone new who can eventually get us somewhere.

Finally - For those saying we will be just another stepping stone for a coach like Hurley... FINE. SO WHAT?! I will gladly watch years of consistent improvement culminating with multiple tournament bids and tournament wins --- even if it meant I was going to lose the coach --- rather than watch what Ive seen the last 3 years... a slow death spiral to nowhere.
The argument for the extension is we are going to take a realistic shot on DC and give him 2 years to figure this out. If he sucks still after 2 years, cut bait and pay the buyout fee. Either fire him now, or make a true commitment to him to lead the program out of the funk.

Your argument of letting him fizzle out puts us in the basement for years to come potentially. The issue with Cox so far has not been getting players to come to URI. If you extend him we will see more good players come and try to be the missing piece because he is ultimately a very good recruiter and a strong role model for kids. If you don't extend him he will lose every recruiting battle for good players (except maybe a transfer with a year left) because they will not come to play for a guy with 2 years left on a contract.

I also hate the argument that he let "home grown" pieces leave. Toppin and Tyrese are the only recruits (other than Dana) that have left that would play on this years team. I still don't think Toppin is that good and would have been a problem on this team because he thinks he should be a star player (he is ok in his role at Kentucky because he accepts being the 6th man there). The team is in rebuild mode after DH left. I am sorry that most of you don't want to acknowledge that when Jeff and Cyril left, the core of DH is gone and we are basically starting over. Yes it would have been nice to have Tyrese and Dana this year. We should have finished higher in the A10 this year, but not significantly (unless all the transfer pieces came together right away). I expect next year the transfers (who will still be here) and will be the core of the team will be better.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Then you should be advocating for Cox to be gone and getting a new coach in here. Or you apparently never heard of compensation commensurate with experience and results. You don't pay someone double just because
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago Not including this current dumpster fire season - Doesnt DC have 2 FULL seasons left on this contract? Why would anyone even consider extending him this offseason? Did I read that right?

The argument for the extension is we are going to take a realistic shot on DC and give him 2 years to figure this out. If he sucks still after 2 years, cut bait and pay the buyout fee. Either fire him now, or make a true commitment to him to lead the program out of the funk.

Your argument of letting him fizzle out puts us in the basement for years to come potentially. The issue with Cox so far has not been getting players to come to URI. If you extend him we will see more good players come and try to be the missing piece because he is ultimately a very good recruiter and a strong role model for kids. If you don't extend him he will lose every recruiting battle for good players (except maybe a transfer with a year left) because they will not come to play for a guy with 2 years left on a contract.

I also hate the argument that he let "home grown" pieces leave. Toppin and Tyrese are the only recruits (other than Dana) that have left that would play on this years team. I still don't think Toppin is that good and would have been a problem on this team because he thinks he should be a star player (he is ok in his role at Kentucky because he accepts being the 6th man there). The team is in rebuild mode after DH left. I am sorry that most of you don't want to acknowledge that when Jeff and Cyril left, the core of DH is gone and we are basically starting over. Yes it would have been nice to have Tyrese and Dana this year. We should have finished higher in the A10 this year, but not significantly (unless all the transfer pieces came together right away). I expect next year the transfers (who will still be here) and will be the core of the team will be better.
If the other pieces Cox brought in weren't good enough to play on the 10th place team in the Atlantic 10, why did he bring them here in the first place? Maybe he's not the master recruiter as head coach that people make him out to be
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Spot on!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Didn't Cox recruit those players who wouldn't play on this year's team?
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Then you should be advocating for Cox to be gone and getting a new coach in here. Or you apparently never heard of compensation commensurate with experience and results. You don't pay someone double just because
Wait, seriously? I was just about to throw that logic in my manager's face to get a nice raise.
2 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

If the other pieces Cox brought in weren't good enough to play on the 10th place team in the Atlantic 10, why did he bring them here in the first place? Maybe he's not the master recruiter as head coach that people make him out to be

I don’t think Cox is as good a recruiter as some say he is. His best recruits were when he had Hurley to close the deal. Other than that he’s only done fairly well in the DMV and overall seems to have many more misses than hits.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s a “be careful what you ask for”

If the 5 transfers had not gotten the waivers for this year then the Coaches, KB snd Local Sports Reporters would still be hyping these guys up with anticipation for next year.

But they all got waivers and Cox had to try to balance playing time among 11 guys (til Makhi got hurt).
Still 10 players is too many as Cox is now finding

Other than the Makhel and Makhi, Martin has not made us forget Tyrese as done said he would and Betrand is not going to be the best player on the team next season and Carey is not a Top 40 ESPN player.

Bottom line we are in 10th place, NET = 100 with all 5 transfers approved to play.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago

I don’t think Cox is as good a recruiter as some say he is. His best recruits were when he had Hurley to close the deal. Other than that he’s only done fairly well in the DMV and overall seems to have many more misses than hits.
With recruiting it is always a crap shoot, unless the kid is a blueblood 5* stud. Some under the radar recruits may overachieve and other more highly rated players may disappoint. It is also difficult to judge many of the transfers and how they will adjust to your program. In my opinion Cox is an above average recruiter and seems to connect well with the kids.

'His biggest deficiency is probably lack of experience being in charge of a program. That may include hiring a strong supporting staff, preparation, and actual in game adjustments with scheming, player minutes and combinations.

Like I said, there needs to be a lot of growth over this off season with not only the players but more importantly the staff.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We are getting what we paid for....no more than that.

We hoped we were getting a bargain if Cox proved to be a good coach...no such luck.
Using your logic, you got what you paid for and should be happy.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With recruiting it is always a crap shoot, unless the kid is a blueblood 5* stud. Some under the radar recruits may overachieve and other more highly rated players may disappoint. It is also difficult to judge many of the transfers and how they will adjust to your program. In my opinion Cox is an above average recruiter and seems to connect well with the kids.

'His biggest deficiency is probably lack of experience being in charge of a program. That may include hiring a strong supporting staff, preparation, and actual in game adjustments with scheming, player minutes and combinations.

Like I said, there needs to be a lot of growth over this off season with not only the players but more importantly the staff.
Head Coaches and Assistants go to watch their recruits play. They watch the potential transfers play against other D1 players. They have tons of game film to watch because in today's world all College games and the majority of high schools games are now recorded.

They have nobody to blame but themselves if they miss on incoming players.

They do not go by 4 star, 3 star, ESPN rankings, etc etc. The coaches are right there in the gym watching. Also look at how the guys are playing after they leave URI - it's not like they only underperformed to expectations at URI. Be careful over estimating the current freshmen and incoming players based on what we have seen. Bottom line were are in 10th place, all 5 transfers were unexpectedly approved - but still 10th place. Hopefully we kick but in the A10 Tournament.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago ....
I said I would raise Cox's salary to $1.5M IF we went to the NCAAT next year.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago ....
I said I would raise Cox's salary to $1.5M IF we went to the NCAAT next year.
If Cox takes URI to the NCAA Tournament this year or next year he will be offered more than $1.5 million per year. He will be a hot coaching prospect.

Cooley makes $3 million to $4 million per year on a 10 year deal and has 1 single NCAA Tournament win to show for it

You pay the coach after he produces, not before - just like in the real working world
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Head Coaches and Assistants go to watch their recruits play. They watch the potential transfers play against other D1 players. They have tons of game film to watch because in today's world all College games and the majority of high schools games are now recorded.

They do not go by 4 star, 3 star, ESPN rankings, etc etc. The coaches are right there in the gym watching. Also look at how the guys are playing after they leave URI - it's not like they only underperformed to expectations at URI. Be careful over estimating the current freshmen and incoming players based on what we have seen. Bottom line were are in 10th place, all 5 transfers were unexpectedly approved - but still 10th place. Hopefully we kick but in the A10 Tournament.
There are tons of misses on recruiting all over the country including some of the most experienced staffs, the transfer portal is loaded with them and not just in basketball. This past year however has been tougher to recruit than previous ones because of all the Covid restrictions in place.
Yes this is all on the staff, they own it, but recruiting isn't the main criticism of our staff, it's actually the most redeeming.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago ''''

I mentioned Cooley makes $3million per year.
He made $2.6 million 5 years ago in 2016.

Then Cooley got the CFL contract for a minimum 20 years worth between $30 and $40 million - a month way from the $2.2 you thought.

I suggest you check your sources. For 2020, the 28th highest paid coach made $2.8M. Ed Cooley is not on the list. Could it be that private schools overstate salaries to improve their image?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There are tons of misses on recruiting all over the country including some of the most experienced staffs, the transfer portal is loaded with them and not just in basketball. This past year however has been tougher to recruit than previous ones because of all the Covid restrictions in place.
Yes this is all on the staff, they own it, but recruiting isn't the main criticism of our staff, it's actually the most redeeming.
Player Retention is my biggest issue - losing Martin and Toppin was devastating imho. Only Harris remains from the 1st two recruiting years.
Recruiting is my 2nd biggest issue -
Effort on the defensive end is my 3rd biggest issue
Lack of passing and selfish play is my 4th biggest issue

Player Retention and Recruiting effectiveness are more responsible for our 10th place position than things like time outs, scouting teams ahead, quality of assistant coaches, play calling, OOC scheduling, etc.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Player Retention is my biggest issue - losing Martin and Toppin was devastating imho. Only Harris remains from the 1st two recruiting years.
Recruiting is my 2nd biggest issue -
Effort on the defensive end is my 3rd biggest issue
Lack of passing and selfish play is my 4th biggest issue

Player Retention and Recruiting effectiveness are more responsible for our 10th place position than things like time outs, scouting teams ahead, quality of assistant coaches, play calling, OOC scheduling, etc.
Retention is a concern, but that happens with relatively new staffs. Hopefully this extreme trend won't continue.
But I think that it will always be a fluid situation especially with Mid-Majors.
I am not so concerned with recruiting, because I think Cox can get quality players here.
My biggest issue is game preparation (slow starts) and game management (inconsistent play with long periods of lapses on the court).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are what your record is. Your record reflects your level of talent.
Our incoming talent is consistently overrated over the last 3 years.
1 x