David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It hasn't been mentioned in a long while, but Brendan Adams (Jalen's brother) committed to URI 3 years ago, and then de-committed and followed DH to UCONN. Somewhat surprising, since he is a Baltimore kid.
Breaking news everybody! We all had no idea!
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There have been MANY 3 star recruits who have gone on to be stars in college BB and even become NBA stars.

Calhoun and Izzo have had great success with them.

Great coaches who had an eye for potential, and did a great job of developing that potential.

They are out there, just have to find them and coach them up.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago There have been MANY 3 star recruits who have gone on to be stars in college BB and even become NBA stars.

Calhoun and Izzo have had great success with them.

Great coaches who had an eye for potential, and did a great job of developing that potential.

They are out there, just have to find them and coach them up.
Coach them up? You mean head college basketball coaches job is to teach and develop their players? That may be news to some posters on here.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mike Roades all day over Cox come on 72

I also think Dambrot is better coach than Cox

McCall and Cox could be close

I do agree Cox is better than the rest you mentioned
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Mike Roades all day over Cox come on 72

I
Rhoades couldn't do it at Rice and is living off the reputation of his predecessors (Smart and Grant and Capel) at VCU. Is he worth 2+ times the salary? VCU wanted to keep it budgeted. I believe Cox has greater potential. If I had to hire TODAY, Cox or Rhoades, I'd take Cox.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago

I
Rhoades couldn't do it at Rice and is living off the reputation of his predecessors (Smart and Grant and Capel) at VCU. Is he worth 2+ times the salary? VCU wanted to keep it budgeted. I believe Cox has greater potential. If I had to hire TODAY, Cox or Rhoades, I'd take Cox.
Come on man???

Facts today:

URI and Cox were picked preseason #6 in the A10 Poll and the majority on this board said that #6 was too low. Bill Koch voted URI #3 in this same poll for which he has a vote. URI is now #9.

Mike Rhodes and VCU were picked preseason #9 (same place URI is now). VCU is now #1.

Mike Rhodes is easily the leading candidate for A10 Coach of the Year.
Bones Hyland is leading candidate for A10 Player of the Year.

Mike Rhodes is in the BC list of potential coaches and he will be on other lists as coaching changes are made in the next month. Cox will not be on any lists.

Yet you want to extend Cox and increase his salary to lock him in. You have also never answered my questions about how much more per year over his current $700k and how many more years you propose to bestow on Cox.

Are you serious or are you just trolling us?

A99E7B9D-93B8-4186-87A1-AE31F1709F65.jpeg
45900792-6C6B-4562-8551-94D366694D10.jpeg
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I
Are you EVER going to answer WHY you think Cox has great potential? Where’s the proof? You Continue to just blabber nonsense 24/7.

Taking Cox over Rhodes today LOL. Giving zero reason why, except saying you think he has “potential” and “great personality traits.” Get a clue.

You are the biggest internet troll and clown there is, it’s pretty pathetic.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I
Based on NCAA NET

#31 Mike Rhodes - was picked #9 Preseason A10 is now in 1st place
#83 Ed #whoducken Cooley - the $3million a year man - was picked #3 Preseason BE is now in 7th place
#87 David Cox - was picked #6 Preseason A10 is now in 9th place

Who overachieved and who underachieved?

It's not rocket surgery
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Everyone says our top 5-6 players can match up with any other A10 teams' starting 5's.

If that's true then why are we so bad?

Coaching is everything in college BB.

Cox has not done a good job of getting the most out of that talent.

We play well in spurts. Not often or consistent enough to win 40 minute games against good competition or even mediocre competition.

Poor coaching and lack of quality depth. We are what our record says we are...sorry Bill P.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Everyone says our top 5-6 players can match up with any other A10 teams' starting 5's.

If that's true then why are we so bad?

Coaching is everything in college BB.

Cox has not done a good job of getting the most out of that talent.

We play well in spurts. Not often or consistent enough to win 40 minute games against good competition or even mediocre competition.

Poor coaching and lack of quality depth. We are what our record says we are...sorry Bill P.
.......yepper, this.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Rhody72 has become a troll. I don't remember him being this way previously, so idk if this was part of a long scam or something, but let his comments die on the vine and stop responding to them.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody72 has become a troll. I don't remember him being this way previously, so idk if this was part of a long scam or something, but let his comments die on the vine and stop responding to them.
Its always been this way, it's just that they are now taking the opposite side from what they normally did in the past. Its been an impressive 8 year run of trolling and just taking the other side of whatever the majority opinion is and getting people all riled up. In a weird way I admire the commitment to the bit, but yeah they should definitely just be ignored.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody72 has become a troll. I don't remember him being this way previously, so idk if this was part of a long scam or something, but let his comments die on the vine and stop responding to them.
Is it trolling or severe cognitive dissonance?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Trolling
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I
Based on NCAA NET

#31 Mike Rhodes - was picked #9 Preseason A10 is now in 1st place
#83 Ed #whoducken Cooley - the $3million a year man - was picked #3 Preseason BE is now in 7th place
#87 David Cox - was picked #6 Preseason A10 is now in 9th place

Who overachieved and who underachieved?

It's not rocket surgery
#93 Anthony Grant - Dayton was picked 3rd in the conference (and received first place votes!) and is now in 8th place.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on 72 I just lost a lot of respect for your hoops knowledge with Cox over Rhodes

Jimmy B free throwing comments remember ??
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I mean, to be fair Mike Rhodes & VCU a year ago were picked preseason #1 and finished 8th to the rage of many VCU fans. Cox and Rhody picked #4 and finished 3rd in the league. Mike Rhodes has the edge in NCAA appearances but is in year 4, Cox year 3.

Rhodes' Kenpom ratings each year at VCU ('18-'21): 144, 42, 73, 39
Cox's Kenpom ratings each year at URI ('19-'21): 142, 65, 76
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago We also have Ayo-Faleye and Abdou Samb next year. Where do they fit?
Ill AF!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

thatRamBand wrote: 3 years ago I mean, to be fair Mike Rhodes & VCU a year ago were picked preseason #1 and finished 8th to the rage of many VCU fans. Cox and Rhody picked #4 and finished 3rd in the league. Mike Rhodes has the edge in NCAA appearances but is in year 4, Cox year 3.

So are you saying you would go with Cox over Rhodes just as Rhody72 would?

Rhody72 wrote: ↑
reef wrote: ↑

I
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

thatRamBand wrote: 3 years ago I mean, to be fair Mike Rhodes & VCU a year ago were picked preseason #1 and finished 8th to the rage of many VCU fans. Cox and Rhody picked #4 and finished 3rd in the league. Mike Rhodes has the edge in NCAA appearances but is in year 4, Cox year 3.

I
Not really, I think saying Cox is the better coach by leaps and bounds is a ridiculous statement. What I'm saying is the jury is still out on comparing the two IMO. If people can cherry-pick this year's projections as reasons Mike Rhodes is overwhelmingly the better coach of the two, I would point out the massive disappointment that was VCU last year under Mike Rhodes.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

thatRamBand wrote: 3 years ago

I
Not really, I think saying Cox is the better coach by leaps and bounds is a ridiculous statement. What I'm saying is the jury is still out on comparing the two IMO. If people can cherry-pick this year's projections as reasons Mike Rhodes is overwhelmingly the better coach of the two, I would point out the massive disappointment that was VCU last year under Mike Rhodes.
I think based on Cox's limited experience of running a Div1 program, it is to early to make a judgement call on how he matches up with the rest of the A10 coaches. We can all be critical short term of some decisions he makes on the bench or preparation but we need to first see how he matures as a head coach. To be fair, these have been very trying times for even the most seasoned coaches.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What even more impressive with Rhodes this year is he’s doing all this without Santos Silva. Easily take him over Cox.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Their at large resume seems so soft right now but they are squarely in.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

George Mason just beat them at home
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago George Mason just beat them at home
No Q1 wins and a loss to Mason? They just rode there ticket to win the A10 Tourney or go home.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think they are still slightly on the right side of the bubble, but any more slip ups and they won't be.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But I don’t get how they are on the right side of the bubble. As pointed out they have 0 Q1 wins.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The big question for VCU now is the condition of Bones Hyland. VCU fans holding their breath for the medical results of his injury in today’s game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just announced at halftime of the Duquesne-Richmond game that Bones Hyland has a foot sprain. Further evaluation tomorrow.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think they have 0 Q1 wins and 2 Q3 Q4 losses wouldn’t want to be them if they don’t win the A10 T
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And they should have lost to us twice.
0 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

This is the guy we probably should have hired.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 525497001/
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago And they should have lost to us twice.
Bones lit us up and Fatts didn't play; still Cox's team almost beat Rhoade's team. Go figure!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Ram96 wrote: 3 years ago This is the guy we probably should have hired.

That was never going to happen. He was destined for a P5 school.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah don’t think hiring Oates was realistic at the time
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Ram96 wrote: 3 years ago This is the guy we probably should have hired.

That was never going to happen. He was destined for a P5 school.
Agreed. That 18-19 Buffalo team was a lot like the 17-18 URI team - a talented, top-25 team with a lot of senior leadership. Nate saw how Dan cashed in after a season where the stars aligned and knew he had that same thing.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Did anyone here give Coach credit for removing Carey from the rotation the last few games? Or how about for moving Ish into the starting lineup?

I know people were calling for these changes to happen, well now they seem to have occurred. These changes helped us beat Dayton and hang with STL. Hopefully they continue and lead to success in A10 tournament.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago Did anyone here give Coach credit for removing Carey from the rotation the last few games? Or how about for moving Ish into the starting lineup?

I know people were calling for these changes to happen, well now they seem to have occurred. These changes helped us beat Dayton and hang with STL. Hopefully they continue and lead to success in A10 tournament.
Yes

In the Dayton game thread and also in the David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020 thread

While it is good that he finally reduced the minutes of Carey to 3 minutes vs SLU and 0 Minutes vs Dayton, it was a long time coming.

He finally gave Leggett more minutes and moved him into the starting line up as he removed Betrand from the Starting Line Up vs SLU and Dayton.

How much of these moves came from Morey questioning him about the only 24 minutes for Walker when he was on fire in both scoring and rebounding in a recent game?

Right moves, but seem to be long in coming.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'd appreciate if one of our KB stats wizards can crunch the numbers to find out how many of our 13 losses happened when we had a lead in the second half of the game with 5 minutes left. I'd venture to say it was at least 5.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I'd appreciate if one of our KB stats wizards can crunch the numbers to find out how many of our 13 losses happened when we had a lead in the second half of the game with 5 minutes left. I'd venture to say it was at least 5.
Ranked 341 out of 357 teams in the country in luck. I’d argue the answer is ~a lot
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I'd appreciate if one of our KB stats wizards can crunch the numbers to find out how many of our 13 losses happened when we had a lead in the second half of the game with 5 minutes left. I'd venture to say it was at least 5.
Ranked 341 out of 357 teams in the country in luck. I’d argue the answer is ~a lot
Not sure how they rate “luck” but if it happens all the time it’s a trend and who you are
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Not sure how they rate “luck” but if it happens all the time it’s a trend and who you are
You’re not wrong. It’s more or less just expected win % vs actual. Aka we should have won a lot more games than we did. Obviously in general sometimes you actually are just getting “unlucky” or maybe more broadly your team is undisciplined, can’t finish, etc etc
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've heard great coaches say that 'you make your own luck'.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Jim Harrick’s definition of luck and I quote

“Being prepared for the opportunity”

That means coaching.

I’m gla David saved those two timeouts to take the next game as your team is falling apart down the stretch.
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

You’re not wrong. It’s more or less just expected win % vs actual. Aka we should have won a lot more games than we did. Obviously in general sometimes you actually are just getting “unlucky” or maybe more broadly your team is undisciplined, can’t finish, etc etc
Yeah I’d say it’s the latter. Those are hallmarks of a poorly coached team.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just feeling a little frustrated and disappointed by the way our team has derailed and underperformed this year. Even though I felt like we weren't an NCAAT team or finish in the upper echelon A10, I still expected more out of this team.

Because I more or less gave up on any hopes we may have for this year and am bored, I am turning my attention to next season.
Just looking ahead and not taking into consideration that any seniors will be returning in our conference, it is difficult for me to see us having a very strong season in 21-22.

VCU and St. Bonaventure should lead the way with the stars they have returning. Throw in a young UMass team, Davidson, GW with their excellent sophomores, and even Dayton with the top recruiting class in the conference and some dynamic freshman this year. Not sure we can play our way into the NCAAT next season. We have some pieces in Ish, Walker, and the twins, but I don't think that will be enough.

If anyone can give me some ray of hope please enlighten me, I can use the pick me up.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Just feeling a little frustrated and disappointed by the way our team has derailed and underperformed this year. Even though I felt like we weren't an NCAAT team or finish in the upper echelon A10, I still expected more out of this team.

Because I more or less gave up on any hopes we may have for this year and am bored, I am turning my attention to next season.
Just looking ahead and not taking into consideration that any seniors will be returning in our conference, it is difficult for me to see us having a very strong season in 21-22.

VCU and St. Bonaventure should lead the way with the stars they have returning. Throw in a young UMass team, Davidson, GW with their excellent sophomores, and even Dayton with the top recruiting class in the conference and some dynamic freshman this year. Not sure we can play our way into the NCAAT next season. We have some pieces in Ish, Walker, and the twins, but I don't think that will be enough.

If anyone can give me some ray of hope please enlighten me, I can use the pick me up.
I feel for ya, but I have no hope for next year. At least covid should be over though. That's the only ray of hope right now.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Definitely plenty of second-half leads, only four in the final five minutes (and only two by more than one possession in the final five minutes... VCU and today).

URI's 13 losses

Arizona State: Led 72-69 with 11:18 remaining
Boston College: Led 48-42 with 11:04 remaining
Wisconsin: Only lead was 2-0
Western Kentucky: Led 52-51 with 6:47 remaining
Davidson: Largest lead was 15-8
Richmond: Led 39-37 with 18:41 remaining
UMass (1st game): Led 74-72 with 1:57 left in OT
Duquesne: Led 44-27 with 35 seconds remaining in the first half, also led 69-68 with 2:02 remaining
Dayton: Led 25-16 in the first half, led by three at the half
VCU: Led 62-58 with 47 seconds remaining
UMass (2nd game): Led 47-43 with 14:25 remaining
Saint Louis: Largest lead was 16-8
George Washington: Led 61-54 with 8:35 remaining, also led 68-63 with 4:30 remaining
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not even looking forward to next season. I have not been this disinterested in URI hoops for decades. My thinking is that I will not even get any type of season ticket package for 2021-22. I think it might be the first time since the Ryan Center opened that I will not have had any type of season ticket package (mini or full). The absence of attending games, little connection to all the transfers, and pathetic performance of this season have me very down on the program. I will take a wait and see approach on things. Getting tickets to individual games is typically not a problem unless it is PC and the Friars are not coming to Kingston.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Just feeling a little frustrated and disappointed by the way our team has derailed and underperformed this year. Even though I felt like we weren't an NCAAT team or finish in the upper echelon A10, I still expected more out of this team.

Putting on my overly optimistic hat....

- We beat both VCU and SBU this year who are the odds on favorites.

- Team will have a lot more time to get right and become an actual team, and hopefully play team ball

- if nothing else next year should be an ultimatum year. We either hopefully see the ceiling of this team and succeed or at least know there’s a change of direction coming
0 x