Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any chance Shepp returns? I felt like they should have gone to him more in OTs
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

the_one_mike wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago I know that this team has been pretty easy to bang on and this game was definitely not perfect or even pretty, but at least they showed some heart and some guts. Especially Mitchell playing thru obvious pain. Good to see guys into it on the bench. Promising stuff from Leggett. For where we’re at with this season, I’ll take it.
All things considered, the train is pulling into the station right on schedule.
You can't be serious. We should have made the tournament last year. One game doesn't change the fact that Cox has been a failure. Imagine if we gave these players a real coach what they could do
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Any chance Shepp returns? I felt like they should have gone to him more in OTs
I don't think they would have honored him tonight if he planned on coming back. Still time to change his mind I guess, but as of now it doesn't seem likely. We sure could use him though.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Any chance Shepp returns? I felt like they should have gone to him more in OTs
I don't think they would have honored him tonight if he planned on coming back. Still time to change his mind I guess, but as of now it doesn't seem likely. We sure could use him though.
Would absolutely love if he came back.

I would say he’s exceeded expectations.
1 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You the man Fatts!

4 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

U.....R........I....

What a win!! Can we give Cox some credit for substitutions tonight? Outside of playing Harris in OT, it was nearly flawless. We are stuck with Cox for another year but hope for small improvements.
Just love me some Mitchell twins. What a joy to watch some post presence and what effort!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago
Don't read too much into that, all seniors in every program have been honored on senior night, regardless. I think it's a longshot he returns here but who knows.

I thought for sure we were toast tonight after their run in the 2nd half and going up by 18. Our team showed a lot of heart, still can't believe we pulled it out. Ish and the twins will certainly be something to build on, hopefully we can fill in the other pieces.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago I know that this team has been pretty easy to bang on and this game was definitely not perfect or even pretty, but at least they showed some heart and some guts. Especially Mitchell playing thru obvious pain. Good to see guys into it on the bench. Promising stuff from Leggett. For where we’re at with this season, I’ll take it.
You can't be serious. We should have made the tournament last year. One game doesn't change the fact that Cox has been a failure. Imagine if we gave these players a real coach what they could do
One game? My take is based on more than tonight's shitshow. I consider that game a loss, if I'm being honest. They played like shit. But they won. That's actually a good sign, hence my entire point.

With that said, they should have made a tournament that never happened? Lol. Yes, I get it, they crashed and burned and would have been outside looking in last year. Everyone is a revisionist historian about Jeff staying at the 1 now... but when I presented that in the moment 2+ years ago, many of the same posters chiming in now said that the ball "had to be in Fatts' hands" and to "live and die" by his skillset. Welp - we died! And hopefully we've learned from that.

To your final point: imagine if we gave this team real support what they could do.

I don't think some of you realize how influential the politics of hot takes are in this landscape. Or maybe some of you do. Just know that they are influential and, generally, not in a positive manner. But such is life, I suppose!
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 3 years ago U.....R........I....

What a win!! Can we give Cox some credit for substitutions tonight? Outside of playing Harris in OT, it was nearly flawless. We are stuck with Cox for another year but hope for small improvements.
Just love me some Mitchell twins. What a joy to watch some post presence and what effort!
Minutes tonight:

Russell 45
Sheppard 45
Leggett 39
Mitchell 33
Walker 30
Martin 23
-------
Harris 14
Betrand 12
Johnson 9
Carey DNP

I didn't love Harris in there in OT either but a good chunk of those minutes came when Mitchell was cramping up. Looked like Cox was just trying to buy time until Mitchell was cleared to return.

(As a side note, I thought Martin was outstanding defensively tonight.)
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Dayton fans must be loving another close loss to us.......
I'm very happy thinking about how upset they must be :mrgreen:
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hasn’t been mentioned yet, but we somehow let a kid averaging 4 points and 2 rebounds, get 29 and 9 tonight. I hadn’t heard or read of the kid all year, so had to look up if he was a transfer, injured all year, etc. Kid was great tonight.

Zimi Nwokeji.
1 x
Go Rhody
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Remember the time I was watching the game and we were down 16, and I gave up and got the little one ready for bed and an hour later I picked up my phone and the Xfinity app was still on CBS Sports and the game was still on with 3.0 seconds left in 2OT and we were winning? That was awesome.
9 x
'No Mercy.'
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Congratulations to the seniors and the whole team for fighting back and getting the win. I didn't think they had it in them . Hope for their sake that they can win the remaining games however it turns out that they actually end up playing . Real nice, they reward GW with a home game instead of a road game . Very unfair to Rhody . Are they going to make up the Davidson game ? No news anywhere on that . And will St. Joes game be played ? Stay tuned.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Nothing but quiet from the fair-weather fans.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Nothing but quiet from the fair-weather fans.
.......an isolated win among the whole body of the Cox work changes nothing for me......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Huh? ......We're 11th in the A10 !!!!!

Good luck Fatts ... you were fun to watch.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Although his stats didn't jump out at you, Martin's defense was solid and ended up with the teams' best +/- at +15.
AB was again a nonfactor with 0 pts and the team's worst +/- at -14.
4 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It’s almost comical watching the Cox army come out to dunk in everyone after a 2pt double OT win when we were favored by 3 to remain under .500, yikes.

Do you think they know they look ridiculous?
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Reality will settle in soon enough.

At least it looks like Cox is starting to play our better players more often, and cut the minutes of the stragglers.

Betrand however is proving to be a bust at the A10 level.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago It’s almost comical watching the Cox army come out to dunk in everyone after a 2pt double OT win when we were favored by 3 to remain under .500, yikes.

It is better or worse than those who want Cox to be fired right after a loss or a player stapled to the bench after a bad performance, although a better player is not walking through that door midseason? It's a game thread, and a senior night one at that with no more basketball on the horizon. Can people have a few goddamn days to revel in this? We have a long offseason to read the same retread "new Baron" threads and whatnot.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago It’s almost comical watching the Cox army come out to dunk in everyone after a 2pt double OT win when we were favored by 3 to remain under .500, yikes.

No
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Although his stats didn't jump out at you, Martin's defense was solid and ended up with the teams' best +/- at +15.
AB was again a nonfactor with 0 pts and the team's worst +/- at -14.

It’s about Martin playing the 4. I like both Walker and Mitchell. But, it’s not a good combo with them both in at the same time. I thought Cox would’ve explored this option more when we won at VCU (Martin played the 4 the whole game). Hopefully, he does now.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Lol your comments make less and less sense.

Fair weather fans wouldn’t have been here for the past month. Kinda like the sunshine brigade.

It was awesome they showed some fight and came back on senior night, and that a hobbled Fatts led the charge.

Credit where credit was due, the rotation got shorter, Carey didn’t see the floor.

1 game out of a sea of poor decisions for 3 years doesn’t all of a sudden make you forget those poor decisions.

Right now this is an anomaly, hopefully it serves as a turning point.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Plenty of time to debate future of the program in other threads. We can be happy with a win for Fatts after what he’s contributed to the program

Separately - only 9 turnovers in a double OT game. Significant improvement
6 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

A win, so this is what it feels like! One game doesnt make a trend. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry all you Cox haters, the team didn't quit on him as you have quit on the program.
Ignore the fickle, crybaby, fair weather fans. They are here for the long run.
Says the biggest fraud on here
DC isn’t a fraud, he’s pretty transparent with his affinity for our HC. He has a dog in the race but who cares, through the years we have always had posters with a tie to the HC on here. They occasionally bring insider intel and info we wouldn’t get otherwise. A fraud is someone on here claiming to be a “fan” but with ulterior motives or an agenda. We have some of those too but it’s not DC Rams.
11 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The thread has 9 pages, literally everyone who posts during losses has posted in this thread.

I guess I have to respect you sticking to your beliefs, no matter how clueless and baseless they are.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Lol your comments make less and less sense.

Fair weather fans wouldn’t have been here for the past month. Kinda like the sunshine brigade.

It was awesome they showed some fight and came back on senior night, and that a hobbled Fatts led the charge.

Credit where credit was due, the rotation got shorter, Carey didn’t see the floor.

1 game out of a sea of poor decisions for 3 years doesn’t all of a sudden make you forget those poor decisions.

Right now this is an anomaly, hopefully it serves as a turning point.
This sums it all up. I think Cox pushed a lot more right buttons than wrong buttons last night. I also want Cox to succeed and I am rooting hard for him. I want him to be the one to take this program back to the tournament but my eyes and brain tell me to not hold my breath.

Also, fair weather fans are the ones who disappear when things are going poorly then pop back up when things start looking rosy again. The diehards on this board are here for both.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
The thread has 9 pages, literally everyone who posts during losses has posted in this thread.

I guess I have to respect you sticking to your beliefs, no matter how clueless and baseless they are.
We also post during wins too. We also post during the off-season.

Probably because we’re emotionally invested in this team and we care.

People who have been questioning coaches decisions didn’t just start on a random loss. It’s pretty clearly documented all the way back 3 years ago when Cox moved Dowtin off the ball.

What was the worst was the presser after the UMass loss where DC admitted he gameplanned for a player who was announced to have not been playing 24 hours before the game.

This was awesome to see that DC finally made some rotation changes that many have been calling for, and even better that this team finally found some fight on senior night led by a clearly hobbled senior.

I would love for these guys to get some rest now, and get ready for a miracle run in Brooklyn. We avoided Wednesday which is most important, and we’re not getting into the Friday games. Rest. Get ready for a miracle because that miracle doesn’t happen without a healthy Fatts.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

My days of souring on the HC are long behind me, they ended with Baron.

I'll always root for Rhody to succeed no matter what, and with that, the HC, no matter what. If someone is going to mount a campaign against the URI head coach, no matter who the HC is, you'll have to look elsewhere. Life's too short to be that negative again.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not going to read through this entire thread, and I'm so glad we escaped with a thrilling OT win (need to hit free throws - 4 for 10 in the OTs isn't going to usually cut it. Thankfully Dayton was just as bad). While I loved the fight to come back, to be a little Debbie Downer on you all, but after all they did to come back, I didn't think playing stall ball up one with 90 seconds left without really getting a good shot off (in 3 attempts) was necessarily the right answer - it went away from the aggressiveness that got them back down 18. There was also a play in which Fatts knocked the ball out off Crutcher, who was standing out of bounds. Refs gave the ball to Dayton. Easy play to make a mistake on, but why wasn't it reviewed?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not able to watch game so is there a replay of game available.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I admit it — I was giving up last night. Mrs. Red came home around the time we were down 14, and I got up and discussed the death of our microwave instead of the game. I started paying attention again and came away impressed that we fought to come back and win, especially Fatts, who could have just kept chucking 3s but instead kept taking it to the basket.

Even with Fatts graduating, there is hope for the future.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

10th place.jpg
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago ...
Another poster who has forgotten how injured Cyril was last year.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great to see Cox go with the new starting line up he debuted last game vs St Louis.
His new SLU Starting Line Up was:
Mitchell
Walker
Sheppard
Leggett
Russell

Betrand became the odd man out when Russell returned (instead of Leggett going out with Russell return)
This is our best starting line up. Several posters have been wanting Leggett starting and getting more and more minutes. Cox is finally moving this way :D
This is why this team can win the A10. Start the best players and give them more minutes. Turnovers will go down, passing will improve, shooting will improve

Starter Review:
  • Sheppard was great again. 45 minutes. 7-12 FG, 1-2 on 3FG, 2-3 FT, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 TOs, 17 points. Can't play much better than that. Upside to win the A10 - get Sheppard more 3FG attempts as he is a superb 3FG shooter who is 6th in A10 at 41.9% 3FG.
  • Leggett was superb. 40 minutes career high. 6-8 FG, 5-7 on 3FGs, 1-2 FT, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 TOs, 18 points. That's 85 minutes for Leggett and Sheppard with no TOs. Upside to win the A10 is keep his minutes high. Continue to display leadership, energy, enthusiasm and confidence to his teammates. He is no longer a freshmen in the A10 Tournament. Strive for All Rookie Team!!
  • Mitchell was immense with a double-double. 33 minutes before fouling out. 6-12 FG, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 TOs, 16 points. Upside to win the A10 keep his fouls down to maximize his minutes. Review his fouls for the season and identify ways to avoid some of them. No technical fouls which go against him.
  • Walker was solid with a double-double. 31 minutes as 4 fouls limited his minutes. 3-11 FG, 1-4 on 3FGs, 3-6 FT, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO, 10 points. Upside to win the A10 keep his fouls down to maximize his minutes. Lead the team with his energy, enthusiasm and respect that others have for him.
  • Russell was Russell leading the team in spirit and energy on Senior night. Played a season high 45 minutes despite all of his injuries. 4-17 FG, 0-4 on 3FG, 12-16 FT, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 TOs, 1 bock, 4 steals, 20 points. Upside to win the A10 is to feed Sheppard and Leggett for 3 point attempts as they are premier 3FG Shooters. Feed Walker and Mitchell more as Fatts has an immense talent for dishing the ball accurately to big men inside. Shoot less outside because Sheppard and Leggett are so talented. No need to take an abundance of outside shots on this team and dreams of winning the A10. Feed Walker who is 2nd in A10 at 58.5% FG and Mitchell who is 7th in A10 at 53.2% FG.
Bench Review:
  • Martin was solid defensively. He is a physical beast who drove the Dayton players nuts. 22 minutes, 2-7 FG, 0-5 on 3FG, 2-3 FT, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO, 2 of the teams 3 blocks, 2 of the teams 8 steals, 6 points. Upside to win the A10 keep his fouls down to maximize his minutes. Try to get the ball to Sheppard and Leggett for 3FG Attempts. Take his 3 FG attempts only as wide open - don't force.
  • Harris was adequate vs both SLU and Dayton. 14 minutes, 2-5 FG, 0-1 on 3FG, 4 rebounds, 1 TO, 4 points. Upside to win the A10 keep his fouls down, minimize TOs, minimize 3 FG attempts :D, continue his positive attitude in fulfilling the back up role to Makhel Mitchell. VS SLU Harris was 14 minutes, 1-2 FG, 1-1 on 3FG, 3 rebounds, 1 TO, 3 points. Understatement would be that Harris is not highly thought of by many KB posters but he is all we have to back up Mitchell going into the A10 Tournament. He has handled himself professionally with not being a starter this season.
  • Betrand 12 minutes and Johnson 8 minutes and Carey 0 minutes vs Dayton in 2 OT Game. Play as needed in a David Cox shortened 7 man rotation
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That 8 seed with VCU the 1 seed is looking pretty tasty right now 😏
5 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago That 8 seed with VCU the 1 seed is looking pretty tasty right now 😏
VCU fans are shitting themselves seeing that
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago That 8 seed with VCU the 1 seed is looking pretty tasty right now 😏
VCU fans are shitting themselves seeing that
They were just lucky last time out. With Fatts they wouldn't be so lucky again.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Nothing would make me happier than drawing VCU first round. We have owned them in recent history. We own so much real estate in their heads the game might be over before tip off.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Nothing would make me happier than drawing VCU first round. We have owned them in recent history. We own so much real estate in their heads the game might be over before tip off.
If we were the 8 seed, we would play the 9 seed Thursday for the right to play the 1 seed on Friday.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Thank you for the correction.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would also like to play VCU again we should have beaten them twice this year I can’t stand them
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Just when I thought all was lost they came back. Kudos to them all. I think Martin should be in the core group of the rotation. He's the one guy you see on the floor; fighting his butt off. I like him at the four as others have stated above. Who cares if he scores we need the rest of what he brings. Harris had his cringe worthy moments but he helped for the most part. Obviously Fatts Shep Mitchell and Ish were outstanding.

What was the score when Cox got his 'T'? I was happy to see him get that; I think he needs to let his hair down a little more. The players responded.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Nothing would make me happier than drawing VCU first round. We have owned them in recent history. We own so much real estate in their heads the game might be over before tip off.
If we were the 8 seed, we would play the 9 seed Thursday for the right to play the 1 seed on Friday.
Possibly of Rhody vs Dayton in the 8 vs 9 game? I think Dayton has two tough games remaining. One is home to St Louis on Friday: 7:00, on ESPN2.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Just when I thought all was lost they came back. Kudos to them all. I think Martin should be in the core group of the rotation. He's the one guy you see on the floor; fighting his butt off. I like him at the four as others have stated above. Who cares if he scores we need the rest of what he brings. Harris had his cringe worthy moments but he helped for the most part. Obviously Fatts Shep Mitchell and Ish were outstanding.

What was the score when Cox got his 'T'? I was happy to see him get that; I think he needs to let his hair down a little more. The players responded.
In 2017, I believe Berry and Langevine both were in the starting lineup to begin the year. Then, Stan replaced Cyril and the rest is history. The 4-guard lineup just works better.

Martin is not Stan at this point but having a flexible PF is more valuable than height in the modern era. Especially on defense. It’s a huge advantage to have a guy who can defend a guard off a pick and roll and can also body a low post guy.

Also, we know Martin at the PF can work even when he can’t hit a shot. Imagine, if he starts hitting a few 3s.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not crazy about Martin as I have not been impressed with his defense and his 3 point shooting has been poor. He went 0-5 last night with each one being pretty open and none of them appeared to be close. I think he should work more on a mid range jump shot as he also seems to penetrate to the basket a little too much into traffic.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Not crazy about Martin as I have not been impressed with his defense and his 3 point shooting has been poor. He went 0-5 last night with each one being pretty open and none of them appeared to be close. I think he should work more on a mid range jump shot as he also seems to penetrate to the basket a little too much into traffic.
All his threes were too deep and contested. I can't remember one good look.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Not crazy about Martin as I have not been impressed with his defense and his 3 point shooting has been poor. He went 0-5 last night with each one being pretty open and none of them appeared to be close. I think he should work more on a mid range jump shot as he also seems to penetrate to the basket a little too much into traffic.
In isolation, Walker is a much better player than Martin. I can’t argue that. But, looking at a unit, Martin seems to work better at PF. I like the unit +/- stat. (Not individual +/- or any box score stat). Trust the results and figure out why it works as you go.

If you figure out why it works, you can probably teach Walker or Harris to do whatever Martin is doing only better. And, you can recruit players who can fill that unique role.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I am probably stating the obvious, but in my opinion, this is the most wide open A10 tourney I can remember. There is no legit #1 seed or favorite. Every top seed can easily lose their first game. Over half the league can win it.
1 x