Ishmael Leggett is the FUTURE!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Ishmael Leggett is the FUTURE!

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Win, lose or draw, I think the kid is going to be a bonafide star! Once the team find its identity post-Fatts, this kid is going to be remembered. Truly special talent.

Ok, that’s all, back to my hole.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
14 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Re: Ishmael Leggett is the FUTURE!

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Facts. This team is going to be something to watch as we build around that energy. The parts are all in place for something special...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

the_one_mike wrote: 3 years ago Facts. This team is going to be something to watch as we build around that energy. The parts are all in place for something special...
We have parts not the whole. Need at least another ball handler with solid BB IQ.

Ish has to stay for sure.

If Cox can replace some of the deadwood with solid recruits then things could be better.

Not going to jump to any conclusions yet.

I'm just afraid that we might be better, but not enough to get anywhere. Basketball limbo.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Win, lose or draw, I think the kid is going to be a bonafide star! Once the team find its identity post-Fatts, this kid is going to be remembered. Truly special talent.

The next “it” player for us.

(I hope.)
2 x
Go Rhody
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
the_one_mike wrote: 3 years ago Facts. This team is going to be something to watch as we build around that energy. The parts are all in place for something special...
We have parts not the whole. Need at least another ball handler with solid BB IQ.

If Cox can replace some of the deadwood with solid recruits then things could be better.

I'm just afraid that we might be better, but not enough to get anywhere. Basketball limbo.
Who is it that you define as "deadwood," exactly?

For clarity into my thought: next year is the first season that Cox will be working entirely out of his own recruiting pool in the area of key players. Harris will be the last left from the Hurley era and he has rescinded to supporting cast, generally, and rightfully so until further notice.

Highlights of what we have coming back:
- Makhel showed more heart and growth this year than I personally had expected. Just a sophomore. The lesser-touted twin. Upside is infinite with more emotional maturity
- Makhi likely gets a hardship redshirt waiver, returns for sophomore part 2. We barely got to see him.
- Ish. Enough said. Kid has all the intangibles of a real player. Reminds me a lot of Jared as a freshmen. Little less strength but more floor IQ.
- Two returning redshirt freshmen including a 6'4" 200lb guard
- Two returning redshirt seniors: a 6'8" shooter and a "glue guy" with a highly-competitive motor and Big East reps
- Former all-conference defender in Martin
- An ideal 6th man in Betrand. Can score in bunches and brings great energy
- A former top-50 recruit with an untapped ceiling. Carey can be an incredible scorer. His intangibles are evident. He clearly did not mesh well with Fatts... Based on observed body language and tendencies, I would go as far as to say they appear to dislike one another. I am interested to see how he develops once Fatts has moved on. Seemed he forced it at times trying to keep up with the star power Fatts commands...
- A consummate teammate and competitor in Harris
- A freshmen big expected to be ready for quality minutes

It's tough to say it, considering I wish the best for the kid and really do love his game... but this season was not about Rhode Island basketball. It was about Fatts. Next year, that changes. Our hottest recruit ate pine after playing poorly. That is a new precedent - one that should have been employed during Fatts' sophomore season. Once we let that leash get so long, there was no reigning it back in... and it bit us in the ass repeatedly this year.

Thank you, Fatts, for all you've done. But this feels like a break up I am ready for at this point. The hot girl you dated for a bit but just can't be around anymore because everything is about looks instead of substance.

I am ready for substance. I think next year has all the ingredients to make a substantial meal.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

While I can agree with parts of this take, I think Fatts had problems trusting his teammates to make plays. Tonight with him finding Legget open for those 3s is things he should have and could have been doing more of for the past 2 years. Or maybe it is just now that we are starting to make those buckets?
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago While I can agree with parts of this take, I think Fatts had problems trusting his teammates to make plays. Tonight with him finding Legget open for those 3s is things he should have and could have been doing more of for the past 2 years. Or maybe it is just now that we are starting to make those buckets?
I can agree, wholeheartedly. A bunch of new teammates. Unproven. But, alas, why should they trust him, a career 37%/26% shooter? They're on the team, too. And he's equally new to them as they are to him. This isn't his team... or is it? HA!

There in lies the entirety of the problem, as stated in my post above. Most of this team is comprised of new recruits and transfers... Let's be honest: all they see is some kid with a bunch of hype sacrificing wins for scoring numbers in pursuit of a professional career.

He survived all 4 years on that hype... numbers don't lie. Imagine if he wasn't such a good defender? Kid would be a sub-30% career shooter without all the runouts! Think about that for a second!

Again, love the kid. But it's time to move on. I waited for the moment he turned the corner and became a winner. It never came. Also... don't look now, but Ish had an arguably better freshmen year than Fatts, too. Similar numbers but has displayed better efficiency in the face of a SOS about 50% tougher.

Love ya, Fatts, but it's Ish's time.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

the_one_mike wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago While I can agree with parts of this take, I think Fatts had problems trusting his teammates to make plays. Tonight with him finding Legget open for those 3s is things he should have and could have been doing more of for the past 2 years. Or maybe it is just now that we are starting to make those buckets?
I can agree, wholeheartedly. A bunch of new teammates. Unproven. But, alas, why should they trust him, a career 37%/26% shooter? They're on the team, too. And he's equally new to them as they are to him. This isn't his team... or is it? HA!

There in lies the entirety of the problem, as stated in my post above. Most of this team is comprised of new recruits and transfers... Let's be honest: all they see is some kid with a bunch of hype sacrificing wins for scoring numbers in pursuit of a professional career.

He survived all 4 years on that hype... numbers don't lie. Imagine if he wasn't such a good defender? Kid would be a sub-30% career shooter without all the runouts! Think about that for a second!

Again, love the kid. But it's time to move on. I waited for the moment he turned the corner and became a winner. It never came. Also... don't look now, but Ish had an arguably better freshmen year than Fatts, too. Similar numbers but has displayed better efficiency in the face of a SOS about 50% tougher.

Fatts has an A10 title, NCAA tourney win, two wins against PC, game winning/clinching shots and moments. He is a winner, through and through.
2 x
Go Rhody
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Fatts has an A10 title, NCAA tourney win, game winners. He is a winner, through and through.
And with how many of those wins was he considered the leader? Exactly.

Love him. But 37%/26% over 4 years speaks for itself.

Sorry, not sorry. :o
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

“I waited for the moment he turned the corner and became a winner” is what you said.

I gave you all the times he was a winner, but you changed the goalposts and asked when he was considered a “leader” for those.

Shooting percentages are brutal for him and always will be, but he’s a winner.
2 x
Go Rhody
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago “I waited for the moment he turned the corner and became a winner” is what you said.

I gave you all the times he was a winner, but you changed the goalposts and asked when he was considered a “leader.”

Shooting percentages are brutal for him and always will be, but he’s a winner.
Nobody is moving the goalpost.

He has the spirit of a winner but not the leadership skills to generate wins. I hope that is something he finds along the journey and wish that it were here that he did. If he was a winner by nature, he would have won as an upperclassmen surrounded by talent. There is always a way.

He undoubtedly ground us wins out, I am not going to pretend like that's not true. I have generally reserved comments similar to this for FOUR YEARS hoping for the thoughts to be wrong. But they weren't. He has been very disappointing this year... point blank.

Fun exercise: increase his shooting to 45% in every game this year and the game results change so significantly that we are well inside the bubble. Numbers don't lie. Obviously, life isn't this clean... but it's worth pointing out.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ish is definitely the future and great to see him go 5-7 from 3

Keep working hard this offseason and he will be the next great URI guard
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago

Who is it that you define as "deadwood," exactly?

For clarity into my thought: next year is the first season that Cox will be working entirely out of his own recruiting pool in the area of key players. Harris will be the last left from the Hurley era and he has rescinded to supporting cast, generally, and rightfully so until further notice.

Highlights of what we have coming back:
- Makhel showed more heart and growth this year than I personally had expected. Just a sophomore. The lesser-touted twin. Upside is infinite with more emotional maturity
- Makhi likely gets a hardship redshirt waiver, returns for sophomore part 2. We barely got to see him.
- Ish. Enough said. Kid has all the intangibles of a real player. Reminds me a lot of Jared as a freshmen. Little less strength but more floor IQ.
- Two returning redshirt freshmen including a 6'4" 200lb guard
- Two returning redshirt seniors: a 6'8" shooter and a "glue guy" with a highly-competitive motor and Big East reps
- Former all-conference defender in Martin
- An ideal 6th man in Betrand. Can score in bunches and brings great energy
- A former top-50 recruit with an untapped ceiling. Carey can be an incredible scorer. His intangibles are evident. He clearly did not mesh well with Fatts... Based on observed body language and tendencies, I would go as far as to say they appear to dislike one another. I am interested to see how he develops once Fatts has moved on. Seemed he forced it at times trying to keep up with the star power Fatts commands...
- A consummate teammate and competitor in Harris
- A freshmen big expected to be ready for quality minutes

It's tough to say it, considering I wish the best for the kid and really do love his game... but this season was not about Rhode Island basketball. It was about Fatts. Next year, that changes. Our hottest recruit ate pine after playing poorly. That is a new precedent - one that should have been employed during Fatts' sophomore season. Once we let that leash get so long, there was no reigning it back in... and it bit us in the ass repeatedly this year.

Thank you, Fatts, for all you've done. But this feels like a break up I am ready for at this point. The hot girl you dated for a bit but just can't be around anymore because everything is about looks instead of substance.

I am ready for substance. I think next year has all the ingredients to make a substantial meal.
I completely agree with this here. Fatts had a lot of heart and scored a lot of points, but unfortunately his shooting % hasn't been good this season and it would help the team if they had a proper PG that can get like 4-6 assists a game.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......we/ll see.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's still all about coaching at the college level, much more so than the NBA.

It's up to Cox really.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ish has been my favorite player since the day he became a Ram. Sometimes you can tell when a kid is going to special, and he certainly is. Props to Cox and the staff for landing him and implementing him into the starting lineup. Cox must find a starting guard to play next to Ish next season. Carey and Betrand are not it.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Ish has been my favorite player since the day he became a Ram. Sometimes you can tell when a kid is going to special, and he certainly is. Props to Cox and the staff for landing him and implementing him into the starting lineup. Cox must find a starting guard to play next to Ish next season. Carey and Betrand are not it.
To be honest I’d like to see Berry get some time to see what he’s got and let Fatts get healthy over the next two games.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ish is gonna be special no doubt. He rebounds and plays with the bigs really well for a kid his size. His entire offseason should be spent shooting and ball handling bc if he pairs that with his strength, ability to finish inside and tough defensive ability he will be an A10 star.

Some really bad takes on Fatts in this thread. If you solely look at FG% you miss the full story on Fatts. He will go down as probably a Top 10 guard in the history of the program, at 5’9” and 160 pounds no less. He was not coached up and was allowed way too much freedom in his Soph year and that could never get reigned in, but that’s not on him. He gave his heart and soul to the program and should get nothing but the utmost respect from our fan base. Also not sure what poster said something about “wishing for a PG that would give you 4-6 assists per night”...well Fatts gave you at least that in 60% of our games this year and over last two years has averaged 4+ assists with a 2 to 1 a/to ratio. Don’t know what you got til it’s gone.
6 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

mathews, terrell, wheeler, mobley, chubin , Rowell, williamson, downtin, calvery, baron, garrick, Silk owens, Horace owens. that took me a minute to come up with that list I am sure there are many more. Please he was a good not great player! His shooting and decision making were atrocious.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Ish is gonna be special no doubt. He rebounds and plays with the bigs really well for a kid his size. His entire offseason should be spent shooting and ball handling bc if he pairs that with his strength, ability to finish inside and tough defensive ability he will be an A10 star.

Some really bad takes on Fatts in this thread. If you solely look at FG% you miss the full story on Fatts. He will go down as probably a Top 10 guard in the history of the program, at 5’9” and 160 pounds no less. He was not coached up and was allowed way too much freedom in his Soph year and that could never get reigned in, but that’s not on him. He gave his heart and soul to the program and should get nothing but the utmost respect from our fan base. Also not sure what poster said something about “wishing for a PG that would give you 4-6 assists per night”...well Fatts gave you at least that in 60% of our games this year and over last two years has averaged 4+ assists with a 2 to 1 a/to ratio. Don’t know what you got til it’s gone.
That's the absolute perfect take on Fatts. His heart will always be one of the more impressive things I've seen in a URI player.

He deserved to be coached harder than he was. In a system that forced him to play within himself he could've been an all-american. I truly believe that.

He gave us some of the greatest memories I've got of this team. That steal off of Trey Young in the tournament is one of the best plays in the tournament, nevermind just URI history. As a freshman he was the key reason we finally broke the losing streak against PC.

It is also fair to point out that his ridiculously long leash is what cost him and us some great memories. He never should've had carte blanche to shoot from deep like he has. He's a career 28% 3 point shooter. That's not someone who should be taking 6-7 a night.

He is however, one of the quickest players I've ever seen at the position. His steals record is incredibly well earned and a testament to his quickness. Beef had those wicked long arms which is why he had the steals record for as long as he did. Fatts was just all about speed.

Would've loved to see Fatts be reigned in, played as a true-PG, and live in the lane and at the FT line instead of settling for 20 foot off balanced shots.

Just like if Jimmy Baron could've learned to create his own shot, if Fatts could've improved his shot selection, it would've put him over the hump.

Either way, last night was a great way for Fatts to go out, while simultaneously passing the torch to Ish.

Ish hitting those huge threes was reminiscent of JT's three's in OT of the Nebraska game. Big statement.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Ish is gonna be special no doubt. He rebounds and plays with the bigs really well for a kid his size. His entire offseason should be spent shooting and ball handling bc if he pairs that with his strength, ability to finish inside and tough defensive ability he will be an A10 star.

I’d have to say shooting is one of Leggett’s strengths.

Shoots 49% from the field, 44% from deep, 75% from the FT line.
1 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago If you solely look at FG% you miss the full story on Fatts.
This is *all* the Fatts haters want to look at. Don't bring up anything else (like his steals, his insane efficiency at the FT line, his energy). They'll just try to bring it back to his numbers from the field.
3 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Take away that Fatts is a good defender?

Why would you take away half his game if you are going to
Talk about his game? And be honest.

He’s a great defender.

I had a tear in my eye when he kissed the Court after the game.
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Fatts shooting percentage is undeniably poor, but you do need to factor in the number of free throws he takes per game... many of which are generated on seemingly wreckless drives (yes...i know those misses don't count against shooting percentage). For example, last night he was 4-17 from the field and still scored 20 points. Vs. St Louis, 4-14 from the field with 15 points. Admittedly he often drives carelessly to the basket, but he also takes a lot of fouls that he wouldn't take otherwise.

20 points scored on 17 shots and 15 points on 14 shots...not great, but not exactly horrid.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Isn't this thread about Ish?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago mathews, terrell, wheeler, mobley, chubin , Rowell, williamson, downtin, calvery, baron, garrick, Silk owens, Horace owens. that took me a minute to come up with that list I am sure there are many more. Please he was a good not great player! His shooting and decision making were atrocious.
I can't speak to the guys that played in the 70s that's before my time. Starting with the 80s guys (Pappy, Silk, Tommy and on) I agree that those you listed are all ranked over Fatts in program history. Until you get to Jimmy Baron. An all time great shooter, maybe the best we ever had. But Fatts is an all time great defensive player/steals guy, statistically our best ever. He has 1 huge NCAA game that Jimmy doesn't. His lasting memory is a steal and 3 in Trae's eye in an NCAA winning game. Jimmy's was lighting up Duke in an early season Loss. Jimmy was great but he was a one dimensional player. To me there starts to be argument right around there...where Fatts stands in multiple statistical categories for a 100+ year old program matters to his legacy. So maybe he isn't Top 10, but he's certainly Top 15. Net net, he's an all time great EVEN with a 36% career shooting percentage. If that's all you harp on you don't understand the nuances of the game at this level. And if you want to grade him down for poor shot selection that is on the coach, not the player.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago mathews, terrell, wheeler, mobley, chubin , Rowell, williamson, downtin, calvery, baron, garrick, Silk owens, Horace owens. that took me a minute to come up with that list I am sure there are many more. Please he was a good not great player! His shooting and decision making were atrocious.
I can't speak to the guys that played in the 70s that's before my time. Starting with the 80s guys (Pappy, Silk, Tommy and on) I agree that those you listed are all ranked over Fatts in program history. Until you get to Jimmy Baron. An all time great shooter, maybe the best we ever had. But Fatts is an all time great defensive player/steals guy, statistically our best ever. He has 1 huge NCAA game that Jimmy doesn't. His lasting memory is a steal and 3 in Trae's eye in an NCAA winning game. Jimmy's was lighting up Duke in an early season Loss. Jimmy was great but he was a one dimensional player. To me there starts to be argument right around there...where Fatts stands in multiple statistical categories for a 100+ year old program matters to his legacy. So maybe he isn't Top 10, but he's certainly Top 15. Net net, he's an all time great EVEN with a 36% career shooting percentage. If that's all you harp on you don't understand the nuances of the game at this level. And if you want to grade him down for poor shot selection that is on the coach, not the player.
Yup.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Top 15 guard in the last 40 years I will give you that. He is not an all-time great not close!!! Sorry plays very hard solid defense yes makes others better no wins when he is the leader of the team no look at the record and the stats.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago Top 15 guard in the last 40 years I will give you that. He is not an all-time great not close!!! Sorry plays very hard solid defense yes makes others better no wins when he is the leader of the team no look at the record and the stats.
When you share a stat line with 1 other person and his name is Tyson Wheeler one of the all time GOATS of Rhody Hoops, then you did something right. "Plays very solid defense" - no better way to say that is he was one of our best on ball defenders in the history of the program. Not even sure what "no wins when he is the leader of the team" means. Fatts didn't pick his teammates the last 3 years nor was Fatts responsible for game planning and coaching himself so the results of that are spread elsewhere and not solely on the player. You put Jimmy Baron ahead of Fatts and Fatts easily has half dozen games he has won almost single handedly that are more impressive than any W Jimmy had in his career here. If we are going to make it about Ws and Ls. Jimmy is Top 15. So is Fatts. And for a program that has had 1,000+ players roll through it that makes them both all time greats.
1 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

I will leave it at this Fatts had a very fine career all-time great I have to disagree, I leave that for the tyson, Silk, Garrick, Williamson's of the program to me he will always have had a very fine career but an all-time great no way he is at least a notch below that and BTW you measure players by stats and records and his are in no way reflective of and all-time great. He passed Cotheren for the most steals is he an all-time great while a good player I think not!!
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

So... Ishmael Legget...

Should get rookie of the week for A10 right?
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

If you "love" Fatts I'm curious to see who you hate. Yours is possibly the most idiotic take I've seen in all my years on this board. Fatts is a generational talent who has provided more memorable moments than just about anyone. To say Fatts survived on "hype" epitomizes how little you know about basketball. You're a disgrace to Rams fans everywhere.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody78,
Where do you see Russell among this list of URI Guards? How many of these 25 would you rank above him and how many would you rank below him?

Cutino Mobley
Steve Chubin
Tom Garrick
Silk Owens
John Fultz
Jimmy Baron
Dennis McGovern
Jiggy Williamson
Tyson Wheeler
Ernie Calvery
Pappy Owens
Steve Rowell
Jeff Dowtin
Preston Murphy
Keith Cothran
Brian Woodward
Jared Terrell
EC Mathews
Jared Terrell
Tavorris Bell
Dawan Robinson
Xavier Munford
Abdul Fox
Carlos Cofield
Dustin Hellenga
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

The first 13 plus Mumford, Mathews, Terrell, and Stan Stutz, BTW great list thanks! Like I said very good player but not an all-time great, to be an all-time great you would have to be top 5 all-time at the position!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Win, lose or draw, I think the kid is going to be a bonafide star! Once the team find its identity post-Fatts, this kid is going to be remembered. Truly special talent.

DC,

I'm glad to see David Cox put Leggett into the starting lineup now permanently for the Saint Louis and Dayton Games. Prior to those two games Leggett was starting due to injuries. Last Night Cox played Leggett 40 minutes which is great.

My only question is why did it take so long? 4 different players have now been in the starting guard spot along with Sheppard and Russell
  • Carey - started the 1st 2 games of the year
  • Martin replaced Carey and started the next 9 games
  • Betrand replaced Martin and started the next 9 games
  • Leggett replaced Betrand and started the last 2 games and looks like he is now locked in (he did play for Russell in some games due to injury but Betrand was also starting)
I like that Cox gave 4 guys a chance and I really like that Cox has finally settled on Leggett who is clearly the best of the 4 players - however, it just seems to me that it took too long to get there.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago The first 13 plus Mumford, Mathews, Terrell, and Stan Stutz, BTW great list thanks! Like I said very good player but not an all-time great, to be an all-time great you would have to be top 5 all-time at the position!
So, if you only pick 5, According to you, Jiggy Williamson isn't an all-time great, assuming that Tyson, Silk, Cat, Tommy and Jared are above him. That's foolish.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Is Ish a pure point guard or more of a 2?
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

I think Tyson, Silk, Calvery, Stutz number 5 is up for debate I also think you can have more then five maybe even ten since we are talking about two starting spots having said that Fatts is still not in there!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago I think Tyson, Silk, Calvery, Stutz number 5 is up for debate I also think you can have more then five maybe even ten since we are talking about two starting spots having said that Fatts is still not in there!!
You're old enough to have seen Calverly and Stutz play????
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Is Ish a pure point guard or more of a 2?
Seems like a classic combo guard at this point...but it seems in our best interest to convert him into a PG this off-season. I think he played off the ball in HS but I could be wrong, some of the DMV folks prob know
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Is Ish a pure point guard or more of a 2?
Played Point Guard his Senior Year at St John's College High School

He can play Shooting Guard as well.
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago I think Tyson, Silk, Calvery, Stutz number 5 is up for debate I also think you can have more then five maybe even ten since we are talking about two starting spots having said that Fatts is still not in there!!
You're old enough to have seen Calverly and Stutz play????
I am not, but I believe they were both All americans and the leading scorers in the country. I think most people would agree they are all-time greats!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

DC,

I'm glad to see David Cox put Leggett into the starting lineup now permanently for the Saint Louis and Dayton Games. Prior to those two games Leggett was starting due to injuries. Last Night Cox played Leggett 40 minutes which is great.

My only question is why did it take so long? 4 different players have now been in the starting guard spot along with Sheppard and Russell
  • Carey - started the 1st 2 games of the year
  • Martin replaced Carey and started the next 9 games
  • Betrand replaced Martin and started the next 9 games
  • Leggett replaced Betrand and started the last 2 games and looks like he is now locked in (he did play for Russell in some games due to injury but Betrand was also starting)
I like that Cox gave 4 guys a chance and I really like that Cox has finally settled on Leggett who is clearly the best of the 4 players - however, it just seems to me that it took too long to get there.
Because he is a COACH, first. Not a fan. There is a huge difference and one that many fans seemingly will not understand. I was one of those fans, admittedly. You hope your guys show what they are capable of on the floor, from what is seen in practice. You extend the leash until you can’t anymore. I can’t say with certainty that Carey or AB lost us any games as much as anyone else did. Sure those guys may have started, but their minutes started to dwindle game after game. Coach Cox has flaws, lots of them. We as fans/humans have flaws. A shit ton of them. The issue lies how long will it take to address said flaws. I truly believe we will see a huge culture and game approach shift over the next year. Cox isn’t going anywhere this season, I’m sure to much of many of your dismay, but I think he’s learning some very valuable lessons that he can build from. Cox is loyal to his guys to an extreme fault. He has to get past that, and develop more as the HEAD MAN.

Call me what you want, I frankly don’t give a f**k anymore, but i will ride with Cox and this team until the wheels fall off and support the eventual next regime the same.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Or maybe ish makes himself available for the pass and good shot.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

That's the absolute perfect take on Fatts. His heart will always be one of the more impressive things I've seen in a URI player.

He deserved to be coached harder than he was. In a system that forced him to play within himself he could've been an all-american. I truly believe that.

He gave us some of the greatest memories I've got of this team. That steal off of Trey Young in the tournament is one of the best plays in the tournament, nevermind just URI history. As a freshman he was the key reason we finally broke the losing streak against PC.

It is also fair to point out that his ridiculously long leash is what cost him and us some great memories. He never should've had carte blanche to shoot from deep like he has. He's a career 28% 3 point shooter. That's not someone who should be taking 6-7 a night.

He is however, one of the quickest players I've ever seen at the position. His steals record is incredibly well earned and a testament to his quickness. Beef had those wicked long arms which is why he had the steals record for as long as he did. Fatts was just all about speed.

Would've loved to see Fatts be reigned in, played as a true-PG, and live in the lane and at the FT line instead of settling for 20 foot off balanced shots.

Just like if Jimmy Baron could've learned to create his own shot, if Fatts could've improved his shot selection, it would've put him over the hump.

Either way, last night was a great way for Fatts to go out, while simultaneously passing the torch to Ish.

Ish hitting those huge threes was reminiscent of JT's three's in OT of the Nebraska game. Big statement.
100% this - his speed. For those on this board who haven't had the pleasure to have seen Fatts play in person, his speed is something to behold. TV doesn't do it justice. I've been going to college hoops games consistently since the late 80s and I don't recall ever seeing someone as fast as him. It's really something to see.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

100% this - his speed. For those on this board who haven't had the pleasure to have seen Fatts play in person, his speed is something to behold. TV doesn't do it justice. I've been going to college hoops games consistently since the late 80s and I don't recall ever seeing someone as fast as him. It's really something to see.
I second that.

I've seen Chris Johnson live, and Fatts is every bit as fast as he was.

Fatts plays at an entirely different speed than anyone else.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Ish has been my favorite player since the day he became a Ram. Sometimes you can tell when a kid is going to special, and he certainly is. Props to Cox and the staff for landing him and implementing him into the starting lineup. Cox must find a starting guard to play next to Ish next season. Carey and Betrand are not it.
To be honest I’d like to see Berry get some time to see what he’s got and let Fatts get healthy over the next two games.
Yes and no. We still probably need one of the last two to stay our of Wednesday
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes and no. We still probably need one of the last two to stay our of Wednesday
Agreed. But if we could hang with VCU without Fatts, we could probably handle GW without him.

Plus it would continue to put Ish in positions to lead, which will help in the future and in the tournament should Fatts not be available.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, we should beat GW without Fatts, but after the UMass loss I'm not taking anything for granted with this team. Ideally you beat GW without Fatts which should be enough to stay out of Wednesday, play Fatts reduced minutes at St. Joe's to knock the rust off and let him play in front of friends and family if they're allowed in, and move on to Richmond
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

Fatts is an incredible player, and I agree just looking at shooting percentage does not tell the whole story. HOWEVER, I disagree that the difference between his play and true all american level is coaching. He gets a lot of good looks at shots that he misses. I know he is hurt this year but he never really increased his shooting capabilities. For a 10 game stretch last year he did, was at that level and the team could beat anyone (not named Dayton). If he gets going in the next few weeks there is no reason we can't win the A10 tourney.

Where the coaching has failed him (maybe) is not reigning him in more when he is struggling for the betterment of the Team. But that would not make him an all-american level player. It would have made him a solid team player like Dowtin was. All-American Fatts would play exactly as he does now but shoot 35% from 3 and 40% plus from the field.
1 x