The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......wouldn’t Bobby be the anointed one and the leader in the clubhouse for the Duke job.....?
You would think so, but he hasn't done himself any favors this season.
No he hasn’t. If Bobby wants back in the East Coast and in a P5 job, Boston College offers that and a chance to take a bottom dwelling basketball program and show miracle working to put him in a position for the Duke job - if he in fact wants that. His parents continue to age as with all of us. Covid has emphasized that.
Arizona State is 3 time zones away, Duke is not a short drive but Boston College is an easy Amtrak from Boston’s South Station or flight to New Jersey.

It’s a long shot for sure but interesting since job opening for the right guy.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......wouldn’t Bobby be the anointed one and the leader in the clubhouse for the Duke job.....?
You would think so, but he hasn't done himself any favors this season.
Jeff Capel was always considered the heir apparent to coach K and also Johnny Dawkins name has been brought up, but who knows now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
URI didn't realize hoe good they had it with Al Skinner as well. Al would have gone to the NCAAT with the team he left for Harrick.
He would have gone to the tournament, but he wouldn't have gotten to the Elite 8, he wouldn't have gotten Lamar Odom, wouldn't have gotten us to the tournament in 99, and we wouldn't have the Ryan Center
Don’t forget that St. Daddy-o the Great also gave us Jerry Duh.
He gave us Jerry D as an assistant/handler for Lamar. Ron Petro, the players, and the fanbase gave us Jerry D the head coach because they were so worried about keeping the band together and the good times rolling they didn't bother to make sure he could actually do it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

He would have gone to the tournament, but he wouldn't have gotten to the Elite 8, he wouldn't have gotten Lamar Odom, wouldn't have gotten us to the tournament in 99, and we wouldn't have the Ryan Center
I think that 97-98 team would of made a deep run in the NCAAT regardless, even with Skinner at the helm.
They were all his players and one of the best starting 5's we ever had: Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, King, Clay, plus Murphy maybe the best 6th man in the conference.
Mobley himself has credited Harrick with changing the offense and allowing him to flourish. I find it hard to believe we would have made that run if Mobley hadn't been playing at that level all year, and I don't see any evidence that Mobley would have under Skinner. He would have been very good, but not A10 player of the year, and that wouldn't have been good enough to get by Kansas
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
URI didn't realize hoe good they had it with Al Skinner as well. Al would have gone to the NCAAT with the team he left for Harrick.
You also would not have been put on probation.
We self-imposed a one year scholarship reduction for the 05-06 to 07-08 seasons, but we had Jimmy Baron on the team all three of those seasons getting free tuition as part of a tuition waiver for staff members. I make that trade all day every day, and I'm not exactly a win at all costs, screw the rules banners fly forever type. For instance, I had and have no interest in Rick Pitino, one of the dirtiest, sleaziest coaches in history
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I think that 97-98 team would of made a deep run in the NCAAT regardless, even with Skinner at the helm.
They were all his players and one of the best starting 5's we ever had: Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, King, Clay, plus Murphy maybe the best 6th man in the conference.
Mobley himself has credited Harrick with changing the offense and allowing him to flourish. I find it hard to believe we would have made that run if Mobley hadn't been playing at that level all year, and I don't see any evidence that Mobley would have under Skinner. He would have been very good, but not A10 player of the year, and that wouldn't have been good enough to get by Kansas
That was a great run, but I hated the way it ended should of been in Final Four, giving it away to Stanford in the last minute.
Harrick does get credit for that success and should, but who knows what Skinner would of done with that team.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Those Geico commercials are hysterical
At least for the first 1,000 or so airings.

I often wonder how much they could lower their premiums if they didn't buy every available minute of advertising time.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

I know it’s off topic but since it’s been mentioned for us to have success in A10 and NCAA we need 3 studs. That Cat Tyson ARD team had the most success but the ‘88 team of Silk Garrick and Green was a whisker away from elite 8 and the EC Terrel Hassy team was IMO a bad offensive charge on Robinson away from a sweet 16. All 3 of those teams had a big 3......the question is who’s going to help the Michell twins going forward and probably more importantly will we have a Penders, Harrick, Hurley to get them over the hump. We currently do not have the latter.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Payton34 wrote: 3 years ago I know it’s off topic but since it’s been mentioned for us to have success in A10 and NCAA we need 3 studs. That Cat Tyson ARD team had the most success but the ‘88 team of Silk Garrick and Green was a whisker away from elite 8 and the EC Terrel Hassy team was IMO a bad offensive charge on Robinson away from a sweet 16. All 3 of those teams had a big 3......the question is who’s going to help the Michell twins going forward and probably more importantly will we have a Penders, Harrick, Hurley to get them over the hump. We currently do not have the latter.
IMHO, if Hass was healthy for the Oregon game, we win that game. He was not even close to himself that game due to being hurt
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Robinson was unconscious in the Oregon game and the terrible offensive foul at the end was called on EC.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Robinson was unconscious in the Oregon game and the terrible offensive foul at the end was called on EC.
I think Oregon shot something like 26 free throws to our six and we still almost won.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It was a 27-8 free throw disparity. Gross
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hassan had 0 points and 0 rebounds in that Oregon game. Pretty incredible to think we still had a great chance to win that that.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Hassan had 0 points and 0 rebounds in that Oregon game. Pretty incredible to think we still had a great chance to win that that.
The emergence of Cyril. 4-4fg, 1-1 ft.9 points, 9 boards, 1 assist and 3 steals in 22 minutes.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago ,
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Hassan had 0 points and 0 rebounds in that Oregon game. Pretty incredible to think we still had a great chance to win that that.
The emergence of Cyril. 4-4fg, 1-1 ft.9 points, 9 boards, 1 assist and 3 steals in 22 minutes.
Those were the days, those were the days.

Another cinderella, Michigan, awaited us in the Sweet 16. Easily could have beaten them, seeing how Oregon did.

What coulda been...
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree it was bogus firing Jimmy C during the season at least let him finish the season

I like the idea of Bobby Hurley going there getting himself back East

Eisley and Mark Schmidt May be the top 2 candidates though
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For as great as Coach K has been his coaching tree hasn’t broken through the ceiling. Collins, Dawkins, Capel varying degrees of success but nothing earth shattering.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago For as great as Coach K has been his coaching tree hasn’t broken through the ceiling. Collins, Dawkins, Capel varying degrees of success but nothing earth shattering.
Sort of like Belicheck.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago For as great as Coach K has been his coaching tree hasn’t broken through the ceiling. Collins, Dawkins, Capel varying degrees of success but nothing earth shattering.
Sort of like Belicheck.
I had the same thought, though Flores in Miami looks interesting
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good point add Mike Bray under his tree too 21 years at ND but nothing great
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also, me, you, and everyone else on this board have the same amount of NCAA tourney wins as Woj at Marquette. Was very surprised to find out last week they haven’t won a tourney game with him.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Also, me, you, and everyone else on this board have the same amount of NCAA tourney wins as Woj at Marquette. Was very surprised to find out last week they haven’t won a tourney game with him.
Forgot about Woj good call there. Believe he is on the hot seat. But net net none of his disciples have had even a shred of the success that K has had, so the heir to the throne is muddy at best. It’s Duke and they will have pick of the litter for their next coach but you know K will have a lot of say in that decision and there just isn’t a clear cut favorite.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
Forgot about Woj good call there. Believe he is on the hot seat. But net net none of his disciples have had even a shred of the success that K has had, so the heir to the throne is muddy at best. It’s Duke and they will have pick of the litter for their next coach but you know K will have a lot of say in that decision and there just isn’t a clear cut favorite.
Long way out and probably won’t even come to fruition, but would people want Woj in the running here if we end up letting Cox go in a year or two?

I’d be all for it.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Long way out and probably won’t even come to fruition, but would people want Woj in the running here if we end up letting Cox go in a year or two?

I’d be all for it.
Yes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hell no. But i admittedly hated him as a player and while he has been able to recruit well he hasn't shown an ability to win at a high level.
I'm either go for the hot shot LM guy that you roll the dice on (ie Hurley) or a proven winner (ie Harrick). The middle scares me.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

No effing way!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I vote for DC
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will Cooley take an interview with BC if they come calling ??
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Will Cooley take an interview with BC if they come calling ??
I highly doubt it. I'm hearing from BC people that they're very interested and are going to try to make a run at him, but I expect that interest to be one-sided.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looking at the PC message board these days there might not be many tears shed if he goes

It’s a disaster over there
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Watching South Carolina TN right now.

How about ol Frank Martin? He might be gone soon.

Since that final four they haven't done squat. About to drop to 5-10 this year. The final four was a total anomaly.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Looking at the PC message board these days there might not be many tears shed if he goes

My thoughts too, IMO Cooley has some deficiencies in his coaching, both he and PC might want a fresh start.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Will Cooley take an interview with BC if they come calling ??
I highly doubt it. I'm hearing from BC people that they're very interested and are going to try to make a run at him, but I expect that interest to be one-sided.
IMO EC might be interested in starting over somewhere new, PC has sort of stalled out with EC IMO. Both sides might want a fresh start. He has been there for a while, he might be getting stale.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

EC did a great job of putting PC back on the map, but he has only made it to the round of 32 once in 5 tries. That gets old real quickly for a fan base.

Sort of like Texas firing Rick Barnes, he had a ton of ncaat appearances there, but he lost in the round of 64 or 32, 11 times in 16 tries.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Yes I agree, not sure EC would take the job almost seems like a step down for him.

Other possible candidates:
Mike Schmidt - Previously mentioned on this board a lot and makes sense.
Bill Coen - Former BC (and URI) assistant under Skinner, has done a respectable job at Northeastern and wouldn't have to move.
Tommy Amaker - Should also be a strong candidate, longtime very successful coach at Harvard and also wouldn't have to move.
Howard Eisley - Former star player at BC, NBA experience and associate head coach at Michigan.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Looking at the PC message board these days there might not be many tears shed if he goes

I Hope he stays and is completely mediocre there - what an albatross of a contract they have him locked into (granted there may be some escape clauses at some point but reportedly 10 years, 3 to 4 mil a year). He is their coach for life.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....what is John Beilein doing.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ....what is John Beilein doing.....?
Enjoying the tens of millions he got paid by Cleveland for like 9 months of work.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ....what is John Beilein doing.....?
Enjoying the tens of millions he got paid by Cleveland for like 9 months of work.
His name did come up by some journalists for this position, but at age 68 is there serious interest on either side, don't know.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Just here to register my continued dislike of the use of “EC” for the Providence coach.

That is all.
13 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Just here to register my continued dislike of the use of “EC” for the Providence coach.

That is all.
🗣🗣🗣🗣
1 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed I never understood the need to abbreviate everyone’s names to two letters. You could even use “Ed” if absolutely necessary.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Agreed I never understood the need to abbreviate everyone’s names to two letters. You could even use “Ed” if absolutely necessary.
I prefer good but not great coach who generally escapes criticism because he presents as a polished and packaged good guy who will always provide an entertaining quote and who is seen as being perfect for a school like Providence whose fans consistently overly inflate their importance making it all that much more insufferable.

But that’s wordy, and I’m petty.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Agreed I never understood the need to abbreviate everyone’s names to two letters. You could even use “Ed” if absolutely necessary.
I prefer good but not great coach who generally escapes criticism because he presents as a polished and packaged good guy who will always provide an entertaining quote and who is seen as being perfect for a school like Providence whose fans consistently overly inflate their importance making it all that much more insufferable.

Ugh love you.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 3 years ago

Nah, I'd say you pretty much captured the spirit of the thing
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Chicken Ed sounds like a good name for him.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Chicken Ed sounds like a good name for him.
Ed's Cooley
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Nate Oats is a #good coach.

0 x