Fatts injury status

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts injury status

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Of course it’s not easy. He keeps getting hammered and landing on the ground.
Right Heel, Ankle, Core, Hamstring, Knee........
Just sit out and get recovered and healthy.
Regular season doesn’t matter now, only way in us the A10 Tourney

I disagree with those who say we have little no chance to win the A10. Get Fatts healthy, give Sheppard and Leggett a chance to run the team and develop.

Then be fully ready for Richmond Virginia in a month.

Bringing Fatts back too soon just seems to be adding to injury list he already has. Plus his shooting efficiency has suffered.
You know my thoughts, if he wants to play he should as long as he isn't a detriment to the team and that is Cox's decision.
This assumes he is cleared by the trainers and is ready and able.
As far as winning the A10T, there is always, a chance as slim as it may be. We have the talent but this team hasn't shown it can be consistent enough to win 4 straight games even with a healthier Fatts.
Fatts had RT been healthy during A10 play.

We agree to disagree on this teams chances to win the A10.

It is Coxs’ decision about Fatts playing but I think Cox gives too much of the decision to the player. Fatts loves to play, score points and move up on the career record books. So would I if I were in his shoes. But he has had bad shooting this season and it’s not getting any better.

Let him rest, recover, practice his shooting and be ready to win the A10 Tournament. Let the current roster challenge one another for playing time and go into the A10 Tourney with a 7 man rotation, 8 max but most teams will be (or already are) down to 7 or even 6 player rotations by Tourney time.

If you are more into Fatts setting career steals and scoring records I can see letting him make the call whether he plays or not. He will pick playing. But that hasn’t worked out so well to date.

A healthy Fatts is needed for the A10 Tourney.

Also, Fatts wants to take 10-15 shots per game (hitting 3-4) if he were to focus more on assists, play making and leading the team than on shooting while hurt and recovering then good but I want Sheppard, Walker, Mitchell and Leggett taking the majority of shots because of their FG Percentages.
I'd go as far to say that it would be blatantly stupid to not rest Fatts until he's healthy at this point.

Like if he plays today we should be outraged. UMass is garbage and they are down two extremely important players.

If you rest Fatts against a better team on Wednesday you rest him against a far worse team on Saturday.

I dont know how long it would take him to fully heal from this particular injury, but just resting him every other game to this point isn't making any sense.

If we are to make a run he needs to be able to go for four days straight!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Fatts even is 100%, we have no chance to win 4 in 4 days. Only way would be if the better teams tests positive and has to withdraw/can’t enter the tournament to begin with.

People keep saying “we have the talent,” when we really don’t.

Malik has done nothing. Betrand nothing. Carey nothing. Harris nothing. DJ inconsistent.

Fact is, the talent level on this team is just not what everyone
Thought it was going to be.
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago If Fatts even is 100%, we have no chance to win 4 in 4 days. Only way would be if the better teams tests positive and has to withdraw/can’t enter the tournament to begin with.

Malik has done nothing. Betrand nothing. Carey nothing. Harris nothing. DJ inconsistent.

......totally agree, and the Keaney blue colored blinded glasses here, including me, will buy into the hype of those touting the incoming glasses transfers as the better than sliced bread, and down this path we go again......until?
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago If Fatts even is 100%, we have no chance to win 4 in 4 days. Only way would be if the better teams tests positive and has to withdraw/can’t enter the tournament to begin with.

We completely expected too much out of these guys, but I disagree that these players have done "nothing". Malik has had some good moments and Betrand was really good at Umass and at VCU. Even your boy Carey will make some highlight plays that remind us why he was a 4-star recruit... I wouldn't bet on us winning four in a row but IF Fatts is playing at an All-American level we can beat anyone in the A10.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

We completely expected too much out of these guys, but I disagree that these players have done "nothing". Malik has had some good moments and Betrand was really good at Umass and at VCU. Even your boy Carey will make some highlight plays that remind us why he was a 4-star recruit... I wouldn't bet on us winning four in a row but IF Fatts is playing at an All-American level we can beat anyone in the A10.
We can already beat anyone in the A-10 with this ridiculously inconsistent team and a hampered Fatts.

Fatts being healthy for the tournament is our only chance of sustaining competent play.

He hasn't even been half the player he was last year for much of the year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

We can already beat anyone in the A-10 with this ridiculously inconsistent team and a hampered Fatts.

Fatts being healthy for the tournament is our only chance of sustaining competent play.

Keaney Blue line of the year so far :lol: :lol:
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I hear he is playing but limited minutes.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Fatts to the locker room?

Very responsible for Cox to play him in this super meaningful game.

Didn’t make sense to let him get more rest.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Keaney Blue line of the year so far :lol: :lol:
Still can. But I guess we have mailed it in!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get healthy Fatts only chance we have in March Is if he goes off baby
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

What David Cox is doing with Fatts is flat out irresponsible.

Kid is a warrior and wants to play. Cox needs to be an adult and rest him for his own good and the good of the team.

The season has been over for sometime pending a miracle in Richmond. That miracle doesn’t happen without a healthy Fatts.

Could even have a chance to say “hey let’s get you healthy and if your pro prospects aren’t what you like, come back healthy next year.”

I will forever believe with a disciplinarian coach that could’ve got Fatts to play within himself instead of letting him do whatever his heart desires, that this kid could’ve been one of the greats.

Cox is literally the parent that lets his kid eat candy 24/7 and then wonders why he’s fat 10 years later.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t mind Fatts being out there these last few games as long as it’s not hurting his future

He hit a big 3 for the cover at the end
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I don’t mind Fatts being out there these last few games as long as it’s not hurting his future

He did not hit a big 3. At all.

Jesus Christ man.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago I don’t mind Fatts being out there these last few games as long as it’s not hurting his future

Jesus Christ man.
He hit 2 in the last 30 seconds to get the cover.

But yes he was 0-6 in the first 39:30
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Jesus Christ man.

Well yea for the cover, I like to think of a "big" 3 as something that actually impacts the result of the game.
0 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Jesus Christ man.

Well yea for the cover, I like to think of a "big" 3 as something that actually impacts the result of the game.
I mean reef did say 'for the cover'...but anyways the bigger question and what everyone has brought up time and time again...why the F would Cox be playong a clearly hobbled Fatts 34 mins
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jesus Christ man.

As someone who had way too much money on UNCG/Furman, and similarly irrelevant games last night - I understand the importance of covering.

As someone who has watched this team all year, I commend anyone for having the balls to step into the abyss and bet this team either way.

Still stand by my "why the hell is an injured Fatts being run into the ground" statement.

I think the biggest concerns with this team are 1) we don't have a singular point guard to run our offensive sets, and 2) we don't have chemistry because we play 10 guys. You would think with those two "problems" that you would have no problem replacing Fatts' minutes. This team will only catch fire in Richmond with a healthy Fatts pulling a St Joes 2019 miracle for 4-5 consecutive games. Playing him now is pointless.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I could've missed it last night, but he's 1 shy of all time steals record, right?

Let him get his record and then bench him until the A10 tournament. We're likely not winning, regardless, but I can promise you our chances are better with Fatts somewhat healthy.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago I could've missed it last night, but he's 1 shy of all time steals record, right?

Let him get his record and then bench him until the A10 tournament. We're likely not winning, regardless, but I can promise you our chances are better with Fatts somewhat healthy.
Or rest him, let him get healthy, and if he doesn't get the steals record he can come back healthy and work within a system to build a resume for a pro career.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe Cox thinks that playing Fatts is the best way to save his own ass.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago I could've missed it last night, but he's 1 shy of all time steals record, right?
I think so? I wish the broadcasters mentioned it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He had two almost steals.
0 x
GO RAMS
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago He had two almost steals.
Fatts is so far from being healthy. There are loose balls that he normally that he would be off to the races with that he can not recover. It is crazy to me that he is playing hurt. The coach is losing me.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The announcers did mention he was close to the steals record
Fatts Cothran Tyson and I forget the 4th ??
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago The announcers did mention he was close to the steals record
Fatts Cothran Tyson and I forget the 4th ??
Garrick. Prior to the game, he was 2 shy of Cothran and tied with Wheeler. Garrick was fourth I think.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1.Keith Cothran 207. 2. Fatts Russell 206. 3. Tyson Wheeler 205. 4. Tommy Garrick 189.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
I think so? I wish the broadcasters mentioned it.
To be clear, this was sarcasm. They mentioned it about 48974389573 times. (I assume 104 was also being sarcastic.)
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Keith Cothran was a pretty darn good player who gets little mention on this board. If he hit that shot in the Richmond snow game Baron had a good chance of getting his NCAA appearance.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Keith Cothran was a pretty darn good player who gets little mention on this board. If he hit that shot in the Richmond snow game Baron had a good chance of getting his NCAA appearance.
Big time blizzard, Pink Out game, packed house (for a blizzard), and Cothran had more space than I’ve ever seen in a game winning shot. There was nobody within 100 feet of him.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Keith Cothran was a pretty darn good player who gets little mention on this board. If he hit that shot in the Richmond snow game Baron had a good chance of getting his NCAA appearance.
Big time blizzard, Pink Out game, packed house (for a blizzard), and Cothran had more space than I’ve ever seen in a game winning shot. There was nobody within 100 feet of him.
Then Baron told the team

"Alright guys its time to give up!"
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Injury update coming from another perspective. It seems clear reading through this thread negativity is rampant, as usual. I'm not even clear most posters here even have a little bit of sympathy for what Fatts is going through. A few of you might get it, but I highly suggest a few of you get a fuc*ing dose of compassion next time you come here to berate college students.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am in the camp that says play Fatts the rest of the way he doesn’t have many games left so let him enjoy the rest of his career
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago Injury update coming from another perspective. It seems clear reading through this thread negativity is rampant, as usual. I'm not even clear most posters here even have a little bit of sympathy for what Fatts is going through. A few of you might get it, but I highly suggest a few of you get a fuc*ing dose of compassion next time you come here to berate college students.
If he’s healthy enough to play, he’s healthy enough to play smart and that starts with recognizing his limitations.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago Injury update coming from another perspective. It seems clear reading through this thread negativity is rampant, as usual. I'm not even clear most posters here even have a little bit of sympathy for what Fatts is going through. A few of you might get it, but I highly suggest a few of you get a fuc*ing dose of compassion next time you come here to berate college students.
If he’s healthy enough to play, he’s healthy enough to play smart and that starts with recognizing his limitations.
I always love, respect, and appreciate your posts, however, for what Fatts has to be going through it really is unprecedented. We also have to take into the fact there's one more home game this year against Dayton. No Senior Night as we know it. Absolutely heartbreaking to think this is what this young man's collegiate senior year career has been.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts has some serious shortcomings but he has given a 100% effort on the court so it is not surprising that his body has broken down. His greatest assets have been his speed, quickness, tenacity, mental toughness. ball handling and clutch free-throw shooting. Let's all recognize the best of Fatts on Sr. Night.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago
I always love, respect, and appreciate your posts, however, for what Fatts has to be going through it really is unprecedented. We also have to take into the fact there's one more home game this year against Dayton. No Senior Night as we know it. Absolutely heartbreaking to think this is what this young man's collegiate senior year career has been.
I don’t disagree about how hard his season has been, but “unprecedented?” Hassan Martin played on one leg his junior and senior years. Talk about what might have been ... start with the Oregon game in the 2017 NCAA.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t disagree about how hard his season has been, but “unprecedented?” Hassan Martin played on one leg his junior and senior years. Talk about what might have been ... start with the Oregon game in the 2017 NCAA.

Yea, Fatts is far from the first basketball player to play thru injuries in a season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unprecedented - meaning the COVID we are all dealing with and not having in-person classes really, etc. etc. etc. Nothing about injuries
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Yea, Fatts is far from the first basketball player to play thru injuries in a season.

I"m talking about the pandemic.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Some of the posters here are real tough guys behind their keyboards. So much divisiveness and anger. Taking sarcastic swipes at everyone to feel superior. Sad individuals...
I"m talking about the pandemic.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago

Some of the posters here are real tough guys behind their keyboards. So much divisiveness and anger. Taking sarcastic swipes at everyone to feel superior. Sad individuals
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts didn’t shoot it well but he competed and led that comeback win baby
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Sit him until A10 tourney. He got his senior night moment. We got a Win. Sit him so he can heal up. Two games in the next 3 weeks is nothing but let's have him better for the tourney and make a friggin run at this thing.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Sit him until A10 tourney. He got his senior night moment. We got a Win. Sit him so he can heal up. Two games in the next 3 weeks is nothing but let's have him better for the tourney and make a friggin run at this thing.
Feel like the ship has sailed on this idea. Pretty clear Fatts is being allowed to play if he feels he can. Don’t think any senior wants to give up one of his final college basketball games because he’s not shooting well enough.

The good news is you still saw flashes last night of what he’s capable of when he gets to the rim and gets fouled. If he can bring that and shoot even just “okay” (last night was baddd), you can compete with anyone in this conference on any night
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Well then, this post is for Fatts because I know he reads this:

Sit and be ready for the A10 tournament. Let your teammates figure it out without you for 2 games. Come back healthy to F*ck $hit up in the A10 tourney. You healthy (with a shortened bench and god willing good substitutions by DC) and this team can beat anyone in the A10. 1 game at a time, for 1 weekend, and back under the lights.

Stranger things have happened.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fatts is all heart. He willed us back into that game yesterday while getting guys like Ish and Makhel some easy looks. You just can’t judge Fatts without taking into account his heart, toughness and passion for the game. Inject Harris or Betrand with even 1/10th of that and they would be better players. We will miss Fatts when he’s gone.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Fatts is all heart. He willed us back into that game yesterday while getting guys like Ish and Makhel some easy looks. You just can’t judge Fatts without taking into account his heart, toughness and passion for the game. Inject Harris or Betrand with even 1/10th of that and they would be better players. We will miss Fatts when he’s gone.
Also feel like he’s a player who truly thrives off momentum and crowd energy. Really plays into it. I just feel worse for him (and so many others) this is the type of fabless environment they’ve been subject to for their senior year. That’s no ones fault, but will always suck
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I say play Fatts he only has a few games left let him compete baby
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

No Chance??? You make it sound as if our competition are all in the top 10. There are many good but not great teams in the A10. Would any of our competition be a dbl digit favorite?

Can we win 4 in four nights , not likely, But, surely not impossible nor hat far fetched.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago

No Chance??? You make it sound as if our competition are all in the top 10. There are many good but not great teams in the A10. Would any of our competition be a dbl digit favorite?

Can we win 4 in four nights , not likely, But, surely not impossible nor hat far fetched.

Show me the evidence we can be consistent enough for 4 straight games.
0 x
Go Rhody