Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by reef »

Every game it happens can’t think of the last time it didn’t happen
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Another step forward in the right direction!
Why is this the right direction?

Most people ever died in the United States from Covid the day before this decision was announced.

Rhode Island has New Cases of Covid raging and ranked 4th worst among 50 states with 104 new cases per 100,000 per day.

So what changed or improved to relax rules? No need to have press physically present now. You can see the games fine on TV.

URI has played 13 games and not had to pause at all. No statistics are saying “ok let’s start opening the doors now”.
1AFEBA92-E970-4C76-89E4-482A204E755C.png
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

https://theathletic.com/2321811/2021/01 ... -covid-19/
Saint Louis, Villanova are playing another kind of isolation game
(subscription but The Athletic is always worth it)

This is a really good piece about what a shutdown looks like for a program and the toll it takes. Saint Louis players have been isolated in hotel rooms for two weeks. That’s a lot to ask from these guys. I know they all want to play and they’ll comply with the restrictions, but I think we can also recognize a difficult situation for what it is.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Maybe they're predicting the vaccines affects on the rate, as well as the fact that there aren't anymore major holidays for a while, which obviously made a huge uptick, but is now falling.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

URI is scheduled to play GW this coming Sunday.

0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Guess it was inevitable that we would get impacted at some point.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Guess it was inevitable that we would get impacted at some point.
Our entire non-conference schedule except WKU changed this year, so I think we have been impacted.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Guess it was inevitable that we would get impacted at some point.
Our entire non-conference schedule except WKU changed this year, so I think we have been impacted.
and Seton Hall
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So...thanks for the notice, let's bump up a game in there in its place?
0 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

What are BC ( owe us one ) and Bryant doing this weekend ?
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This god damn virus I want it gone
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I wonder if there’s a way to slot a February conference game here and create an open date for later, like was done with last week’s UMASS game. I have not gone through the exercise of determining if any other A10 teams on the schedule have this weekend open.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I wonder if there’s a way to slot a February conference game here and create an open date for later, like was done with last week’s UMASS game. I have not gone through the exercise of determining if any other A10 teams on the schedule have this weekend open.
I just checked the league composite schedule that was released in November. If this is still up to date, Fordham does not play this weekend. I think the league should move the February 20 game to this weekend, in case one or both teams have to enter a pause around February 20. I think it’s in each team’s and the league’s best interest to stay flexible with scheduling to try and get as many games in as possible.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Good idea. It may be too late to re-schedule.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I wonder if there’s a way to slot a February conference game here and create an open date for later, like was done with last week’s UMASS game. I have not gone through the exercise of determining if any other A10 teams on the schedule have this weekend open.
I just checked the league composite schedule that was released in November. If this is still up to date, Fordham does not play this weekend. I think the league should move the February 20 game to this weekend, in case one or both teams have to enter a pause around February 20. I think it’s in each team’s and the league’s best interest to stay flexible with scheduling to try and get as many games in as possible.
I agree with the idea but it leaves open a 2 week block in late February, bad time to not be playing. Although as we know that is all subject to change.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I agree with the idea but it leaves open a 2 week block in late February, bad time to not be playing. Although as we know that is all subject to change.
Exactly, bit of a double edged sword. You’d rather have a week layoff now than a 2 weeks layoff before the A10 tourney
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

Exactly, bit of a double edged sword. You’d rather have a week layoff now than a 2 weeks layoff before the A10 tourney
Good point. It’s a tough call.
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Does everyone get this year ¨back¨ in terms of eligibility or does it count towards eligibility like a normal year for basketball and football in specific?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago Does everyone get this year ¨back¨ in terms of eligibility or does it count towards eligibility like a normal year for basketball and football in specific?
This year is basically a redshirt year for everyone.

If he wanted to, Fatts (and any senior) could come back next season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

After such a bad year for Fatts, he may want to give it another go to keep up his NBA aspirations, as far fetched as they are. But my advice is to lend him my book "How To Enjoy Living in Europe".
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've been kind of wondering if Fatts may want to come back again since this season isn't quite going as planned. I've been hesitant to bring it up to avoid another Fatts flaming session because I love the guy, but I do wonder if it's more of a possibility now then it was before the season started.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

His stats are putrid through 8 Conference games.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I think Fatts will go to Europe next year but imho shep will stay since ncaa denied him a year ago
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago I think Fatts will go to Europe next year but imho shep will stay since ncaa denied him a year ago
I still think thats the most likely scenario to. Before the season I would have said its guaranteed, but I do wonder if he's reconsidering at all with how things have gone.
Last edited by adam914 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Fatts staying in college basketball another year isn’t going to get him any closer to the NBA than going to Europe. Easy choice to go Euro and make a few bucks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Fatts staying in college basketball another year isn’t going to get him any closer to the NBA than going to Europe. Easy choice to go Euro and make a few bucks.
Agreed, probably the best move for him.
Shep on the other hand, may decide to return, he hasn't had that much Div.1 experience, also transferring as a post grad is a possibility.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Fatts stays there goes next season. Sorry.

Fatts was at his best as a freshman, coming off the bench and providing a spark.

Some good games are offset by too many bad games since.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Fatts is good as gone my guess somewhere overseas
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As long as he graduates this spring he's gone imo.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

How does it work with the extra year? Do the players still have to be enrolled and in class?
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Michigan just shut down all sports for two weeks. They have an outbreak of the more-transmissible COVID-19 variant on campus.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Goddammit this freakin virus
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Credit to David Cox, the Staff, the Players and their family/friends and to URI for keeping Covid minimized.

We have now played a League high 17 total games and 10 games in the A10.

Hopefully this experience will bode well for us the rest of the Conference Games and in the A10 Tournament.

EB8012F4-299D-4AD0-86C8-9C72608D2F39.png
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"UConn said it has postponed its next two men's basketball games, including Thursday's scheduled contest with No. 3 Villanova, after learning that an official who worked its Tuesday night win over Butler has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Huskies have been placed in a daily testing protocol and a modified quarantine that will prevent them from traveling to New York for a game against St. John's on Sunday. The school said it won't play another game until it is deemed safe by medical professionals and that other postponements are possible.

These will be the ninth and 10th games on the Huskies' schedule that have been postponed or canceled because of concerns related to the coronavirus".
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago "UConn said it has postponed its next two men's basketball games, including Thursday's scheduled contest with No. 3 Villanova, after learning that an official who worked its Tuesday night win over Butler has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Huskies have been placed in a daily testing protocol and a modified quarantine that will prevent them from traveling to New York for a game against St. John's on Sunday. The school said it won't play another game until it is deemed safe by medical professionals and that other postponements are possible.

These will be the ninth and 10th games on the Huskies' schedule that have been postponed or canceled because of concerns related to the coronavirus".
Getting put on pause because your team tested positive is one thing, but having to pause knowing you've followed protocols only to have a ref test positive, is absolutely brutal.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I feel like the signs for how this would go for UConn started when they had two games cancelled in the Mohegan Bubble when Vanderbilt and NC State had guys test positive. That’s just awful luck.

I think Providence is the only BE team that hasn’t had to pause. I’m coming to Rhode Island.
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Wow, I wasn't expecting decisions from seniors/grad students on coming back for their extra year yet. Great news for Bryant and Grasso, that team will be very tough. I wonder when we'll hear from Fatts and Shep/Coach Cox.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That also means Grasso isn't going anywhere bc they will be guaranteed to have another strong year...and then he will get a better opp than Fordham for sure.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good for them it’s a lot easier for seniors in a conf like Bryant to come back for another year as their odds to make the NBA aren’t good anyway so might as well get another year of competition
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Iona basketball program continues to be upset by Covid tracing problems. RIc Pitino tested positive for Covid after having been vaccinated with first dose and before second dose was to be administered. Iona which last played a game on Dec. 23 is furthered delayed in playing until February 3.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......not really following the Ivies, but wonder how they all feel about the decision to not play......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago The Iona basketball program continues to be upset by Covid tracing problems. RIc Pitino tested positive for Covid after having been vaccinated with first dose and before second dose was to be administered. Iona which last played a game on Dec. 23 is furthered delayed in playing until February 3.
Wow that’s amazing
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago The Iona basketball program continues to be upset by Covid tracing problems. RIc Pitino tested positive for Covid after having been vaccinated with first dose and before second dose was to be administered. Iona which last played a game on Dec. 23 is furthered delayed in playing until February 3.
Wow that’s amazing
Just to add:

Iona’s latest Covid pause means Rick Pitino’s team is facing a 49-day layoff

Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
By ADAM ZAGORIA
This is not the season Rick Pitino envisioned when he returned to college coaching at Iona College in March.
The Gaels (5-3, 3-1) had their third — and latest — COVID-19 paused extended and are now projected to play their next game Feb. 10 against Saint Peter’s. That would mark a 49-day span since their last game, a Dec. 23 win over Coppin State, two days before Christmas.
Teams must play 13 games to qualify for the NCAA Tournament, so the Gaels must play at least five more with nine remaining on their schedule to be eligible should they win the MAAC Tournament in Atlantic City.
“We haven’t played since Dec. 23, haven’t practiced much because we’ve been on three different pauses. and now our students are coming back to campus, so the only way for us to get through this unscathed is for every single member of the basketball team to catch it, which is not the case,” Pitino said Tuesday on a Zoom call, when he also announced he had tested positive for COVID Jan. 16, after getting his first vaccine shot.

Pitino said Tuesday on The Michael Kay Show that six or seven of his players, as well as a graduate assistant, a strength coach and several managers also have had the virus this season, and that some of his players have recently been symptomatic.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago
Wow that’s amazing
Just to add:

Iona’s latest Covid pause means Rick Pitino’s team is facing a 49-day layoff

Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
By ADAM ZAGORIA
This is not the season Rick Pitino envisioned when he returned to college coaching at Iona College in March.
The Gaels (5-3, 3-1) had their third — and latest — COVID-19 paused extended and are now projected to play their next game Feb. 10 against Saint Peter’s. That would mark a 49-day span since their last game, a Dec. 23 win over Coppin State, two days before Christmas.
Teams must play 13 games to qualify for the NCAA Tournament, so the Gaels must play at least five more with nine remaining on their schedule to be eligible should they win the MAAC Tournament in Atlantic City.
“We haven’t played since Dec. 23, haven’t practiced much because we’ve been on three different pauses. and now our students are coming back to campus, so the only way for us to get through this unscathed is for every single member of the basketball team to catch it, which is not the case. Yet...” Pitino said Tuesday on a Zoom call, when he also announced he had tested positive for COVID Jan. 16, after getting his first vaccine shot.

Pitino said Tuesday on The Michael Kay Show that six or seven of his players, as well as a graduate assistant, a strength coach and several managers also have had the virus this season, and that some of his players have recently been symptomatic.

Correction in red?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It would be an interesting case study to find out why Iona's team just can't stop getting infected. Players sneaking out to off campus parties/clubs, or just socializing with friends and girlfriends in unsafe ways? Lack of discipline or something else?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

It will be interesting to see if any schools that know they have an NCAA tournament berth already locked up will opt out of their conference tournament. Unless things change dramatically in the next month, Gonzaga and Baylor will have one seeds clinched: possibly Villanova as well. I’m sure they’ll be giving some thought to this, unless their league bylaws/constitution doesn’t allow it. I think I read that this is not allowed in the A10. This seems like a moot point to me, as I don’t believe any team will be in a position to skip the tournament and still have a guaranteed berth. With its long pause, St Louis needs to play games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Amazing how the Iona program has been affected while some other teams not affected at all , this god damn virus
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Has Little Ricky had his (ahem) female employees tested?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.