David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s not benching JH. Need his body for 15 minutes a game at least!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago He’s not benching JH. Need his body for 15 minutes a game at least!
I can see that depending upon the circumstance, I still think that JH is somewhat limited due to some lingering injury issues.
I will be curious to see how the frontcourt minutes will be divided between him and DJ, also Martin will continue to get some time there because of his physical play.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago If Cox is truly shortening the rotation, I absolutely love that decision and shows he's growing as a coach. I feel bad for Harris, but he's been given 1 million chances to earn more minutes. This has been his best season so far, but the fact is we have better talent that should be playing over him.

Carey should stick to 8-10 minutes and should no longer come in before Ish. Carey STILL played 17 minutes while Ish played 15, which makes no sense at all. Especially during a blowout. I guess it's because Ish is a freshman, but it truly baffles me that he's getting the same amount or fewer minutes than a player he continues to outplay.

I'm very interested to see how things shake out Wednesday at Duquense.
I'd be tempted to have Carey just on the floor when Fatts is out of the game. I think the offense could really get rolling with Fatts, Mitchell or Walker, and 3 good spot up shooters amongst (DJ, Sheppard, Betrand, Leggett, and to a limited extent Martin). In theory Fatts has room to drive and dish and there is room to operate down low. Even with Fatt's struggles he can hit an open three if the defense plays off him and dares him to shoot. Carey just has no confidence in his outside shot and leaves a help defender sagging off him into the paint. I have no problem with Carey's effort he just needs to work on his outside shot.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago He’s not benching JH. Need his body for 15 minutes a game at least!
I can see that depending upon the circumstance, I still think that JH is somewhat limited due to some lingering injury issues.
I will be curious to see how the frontcourt minutes will be divided between him and DJ, also Martin will continue to get some time there because of his physical play.
Yeah I think Saturday his benching was likely a combination of getting him rest, and a touch of trying to motivate him. We probably would have used him had Mitchell and Walker got in serious foul trouble.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When the reason for someone not playing is "coach's decision", the reason is not injury.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago When the reason for someone not playing is "coach's decision", the reason is not injury.
Not necessarily the case, he could be cleared to play but Cox may of decided to still give his foot some rest.
But, as also mentioned he could be just sending him a message.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t know anything but almost guarantee it was some sort of disciplinary thing and DC is protecting the player by just calling it coaches decision. You don’t all of a sudden bench a guy (solely based on previous game performance) who has played for you every game for 2.5 years. But moving forward if his minutes come at the expense of Twan that won’t help us. He should be solely a sub for Makhel due to foul trouble or him needing a breather.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know anything but almost guarantee it was some sort of disciplinary thing and DC is protecting the player by just calling it coaches decision. You don’t all of a sudden bench a guy (solely based on previous game performance) who has played for you every game for 2.5 years. But moving forward if his minutes come at the expense of Twan that won’t help us. He should be solely a sub for Makhel due to foul trouble or him needing a breather.
Bingo.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago When the reason for someone not playing is "coach's decision", the reason is not injury.
Not necessarily the case, he could be cleared to play but Cox may of decided to still give his foot some rest.
Cox would have said that he wanted to rest his foot more even though he was cleared to play. A flat "coach's Decision" has a negative implication. No coach would leave this impression about a player if it wasn't the case.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Coach's decision means he was able to play, but he didn't play him.

Whatever the reason.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
Cox would have said that he wanted to rest his foot more even though he was cleared to play. A flat "coach's Decision" has a negative implication. No coach would leave this impression about a player if it wasn't the case.
That's probably the case, I was hopefully trying to give JH the benefit of the doubt.
It could of been disciplinary as speculated but many times that reason is leaked out, or he is not satisfied with his effort or production and sending him a message, as I said earlier.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess we will know Wednesday night see if he gets some run or stuck on pine
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If JH is physically able to play and doesn't then JH and DC have not reconciled their differences which is a bad sign for JH's future at URI. DC does not hold long-term grudges - that's one of DC's strengths.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With new transfer rules I won’t be surprised if JH plays elsewhere next year especially when Mitchell gets healthy
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree with Ramster on the Fordham thread in giving props to Cox for starting Ish.
He could of easily caved in and pacified the upper classman in starting Martin or Carey, but decided on the freshman.
Unless AB plays his way out of his current funk, I can see Ish, or Martin getting the start down the road.
Martin is a much better defender and Ish has excellent court vision.
Even though Ish had 4 turnovers yesterday, he is only a true freshman in his first start, so I give him a pass.

I am really hoping that Carey and AB start putting it together soon, because they will be counted on heavily for any future success.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That would suck if JH left, we need more than two or three PF/C. That's evident from foul trouble or from playing bigger teams.
0 x
GO RAMS
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I by no means want to buy into the stock that JH would transfer. I think the depth chart looks solid for next year with both Mitchells back (Khel much better as the season progresses at avoiding fouls), JH, and Abdou Samb.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I agree with Ramster on the Fordham thread in giving props to Cox for starting Ish.
He could of easily caved in and pacified the upper classman in starting Martin or Carey, but decided on the freshman.
Unless AB plays his way out of his current funk, I can see Ish, or Martin getting the start down the road.
Even though Ish had 4 turnovers yesterday, he is only a true freshman in his first start, so I give him a pass.

I am really hoping that Carey and AB start putting it together soon, because they will be counted on heavily for any future success.
I wouldn't say it's worthy of "props" - unless we've lowered the bar that much. Every other guard on our team has a TO% of 25-35% when handling the ball. Starting Ish was the bare minimum of what should've been done.

Still didn't have him as the primary point guard as much as I would've liked, but yes it was a bare-minimum personnel awareness point for DC.

I still don't think a lineup change is what this team needs. Everyone talks about "gelling" and how important that is. Think about how many factors and changes this roster goes through in a given night in a DC system.

Instead of 1 or 2 PG's running the offense in 40 minutes, you have 5. Running a bench as deep as we do, means that we'll have even more variables and offensive options for every "PG" to adjust to. That means that each player taking their turn at PG has a potential to adjust to 10 different lineup combinations. So theoretically this "gel" experiment has like 50 possible lineup configurations to adjust to, just in the back court.

Think about it, with just Fatts as your PG look at how many different combos of guards we have:

PG - Fatts
Guard Combos - Shepp/AB, Shepp/Carey, Shepp/Martin, Shepp/Leggett, AB/Carey, AB/Martin, AB/Leggett, Carey/Martin, Carey/Leggett, Martin/Leggett

So with all the talk about "gelling" that we keep seeing as the reason we look like a discombobulated garbage disposal on offense - we have all these different combos to play with a different guy taking the ball. So whoever is playing PG on a certain set, could be doing so with 10 potential backcourt combinations playing along side them. This also ignores when you slot in DJ at the 3 and only run 2 guards.

Cox needs to simplify the offense. He needs to change his philosophy. Fatts is your PG. Ish is your backup. Have Fatts play PG by himself 10 mins a half, have him play off guard for 5 mins a half with Ish as your PG, and then have Ish play PG by himself for 5 mins a half. Fatts gets 30 a game - 20 as PG, 10 as off-ball, and 10 mins of well deserved rest.

Ish gets 20 mins a game, 10 as the only PG and 10 to run that "two headed snake" that Cox loves so much.

But until we simplify and pair down the lineups and positions, nothing is going to get better and people will continue to act like struggling to beat the worst team on our schedule all year is some sign of improvement. Let me know how we do against St Louis.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I agree with Ramster on the Fordham thread in giving props to Cox for starting Ish.

I wouldn't say it's worthy of "props" - unless we've lowered the bar that much. Every other guard on our team has a TO% of 25-35% when handling the ball. Starting Ish was the bare minimum of what should've been done.

Still didn't have him as the primary point guard as much as I would've liked, but yes it was a bare-minimum personnel awareness point for DC.

I still don't think a lineup change is what this team needs. Everyone talks about "gelling" and how important that is. Think about how many factors and changes this roster goes through in a given night in a DC system.

Instead of 1 or 2 PG's running the offense in 40 minutes, you have 5. Running a bench as deep as we do, means that we'll have even more variables and offensive options for every "PG" to adjust to. That means that each player taking their turn at PG has a potential to adjust to 10 different lineup combinations. So theoretically this "gel" experiment has like 50 possible lineup configurations to adjust to, just in the back court.

Think about it, with just Fatts as your PG look at how many different combos of guards we have:

PG - Fatts
Guard Combos - Shepp/AB, Shepp/Carey, Shepp/Martin, Shepp/Leggett, AB/Carey, AB/Martin, AB/Leggett, Carey/Martin, Carey/Leggett, Martin/Leggett

So with all the talk about "gelling" that we keep seeing as the reason we look like a discombobulated garbage disposal on offense - we have all these different combos to play with a different guy taking the ball. So whoever is playing PG on a certain set, could be doing so with 10 potential backcourt combinations playing along side them. This also ignores when you slot in DJ at the 3 and only run 2 guards.

Cox needs to simplify the offense. He needs to change his philosophy. Fatts is your PG. Ish is your backup. Have Fatts play PG by himself 10 mins a half, have him play off guard for 5 mins a half with Ish as your PG, and then have Ish play PG by himself for 5 mins a half. Fatts gets 30 a game - 20 as PG, 10 as off-ball, and 10 mins of well deserved rest.

Ish gets 20 mins a game, 10 as the only PG and 10 to run that "two headed snake" that Cox loves so much.

But until we simplify and pair down the lineups and positions, nothing is going to get better and people will continue to act like struggling to beat the worst team on our schedule all year is some sign of improvement. Let me know how we do against St Louis.
Blue Man,
I agree with you Leggett was most worthy and best choice of the starting spot but it wouldn’t have surprised me at all to have seen Carey, Martin or Johnson get the start. On this board Leggett would not have been the choice to start. Quite a few here are high on Carey - me not bring one of them.
So yes, props should not be too highly interpreted but I was pleasantly surprised to see Leggett. Shouldn’t have been surprised but Cox did make the right choice bottom
Line.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PG - Fatts

Holistically don’t disagree, but more of a question:

Are we confident in Ish ball handling after yesterday? Again I think it’s almost “why not see” at this point. Led the team in turnovers in his first game with any ball handling responsibility

And to be clear I love Ish and think he’s a fundamental piece of our future.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

PG - Fatts

Blue Man,
I agree with you Leggett was most worthy and best choice of the starting spot but it wouldn’t have surprised me at all to have seen Carey, Martin or Johnson get the start. On this board Leggett would not have been the choice to start. Quite a few here are high on Carey - me not bring one of them.
So yes, props should not be too highly interpreted but I was pleasantly surprised to see Leggett. Shouldn’t have been surprised but Cox did make the right choice bottom
Line.
Erm, I think your statements are only true if you go back a month or more. Ever since they've started playing games, I think you'd be hard pressed to find people who are more bullish on Carey than Leggett.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

More people are easily higher on Leggett than Carey, and it’s definitely justified.

There’s just something about Carey that I can’t shake.
0 x
Go Rhody
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Unfortunately, it does not appear that this team will be playing in either the NCAA or NIT unless they catch fire in Brooklyn. Regarding Leggett giving him more minutes allows the staff to truly evaluate him. I would also think they want to keep him happy and maybe plant the seed that going forward, this will be his team to lead. He will have the largest target on his back when the big schools are looking for transfers. He is a perfect candidate like Toppin and Martin to be romanced to a school in a higher profile conference. Cox has shown that he can recruit. Now he has to retain his key players with which he hasn't had much success.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is the transfer thing really just an open market free for all? Or is there a process when other schools reach out? If we area afraid that every solid URI recruit will be hunted, then this entire thing would just fold.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

PG - Fatts

Holistically don’t disagree, but more of a question:

Are we confident in Ish ball handling after yesterday? Again I think it’s almost “why not see” at this point. Led the team in turnovers in his first game with any ball handling responsibility

And to be clear I love Ish and think he’s a fundamental piece of our future.
I think he's the second-best ball handler on the team but that's not a high bar to clear.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago Unfortunately, it does not appear that this team will be playing in either the NCAA or NIT unless they catch fire in Brooklyn. Regarding Leggett giving him more minutes allows the staff to truly evaluate him. I would also think they want to keep him happy and maybe plant the seed that going forward, this will be his team to lead. He will have the largest target on his back when the big schools are looking for transfers. He is a perfect candidate like Toppin and Martin to be romanced to a school in a higher profile conference. Cox has shown that he can recruit. Now he has to retain his key players with which he hasn't had much success.
.......I think it is catching fire in VA, Richmond area?.....not Brooklyn......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Is the transfer thing really just an open market free for all? Or is there a process when other schools reach out? If we area afraid that every solid URI recruit will be hunted, then this entire thing would just fold.
Players will get one free passage from one school to another. IMHO, teams will often be better off recruiting transfers who've burned their free passage than taking shots on 4-year players who could play semi-decent year 1 and say "Smell ya later" and go play immediately somewhere else.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Is the transfer thing really just an open market free for all? Or is there a process when other schools reach out? If we area afraid that every solid URI recruit will be hunted, then this entire thing would just fold.
Players will get one free passage from one school to another. IMHO, teams will often be better off recruiting transfers who've burned their free passage than taking shots on 4-year players who could play semi-decent year 1 and say "Smell ya later" and go play immediately somewhere else.
Things will also probably stabilize over the next three or four years to a sort of equilibrium, and as players use up that year, as you mention. I'm fine with it, but I realize I tend to be on the more liberal side when it comes to allowing player movement.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With a Fatts out I rather Ish the primary ball handler with Shep coming off screens doing his thing
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

PG - Fatts

Blue Man,
Line.
Erm, I think your statements are only true if you go back a month or more. Ever since they've started playing games, I think you'd be hard pressed to find people who are more bullish on Carey than Leggett.
I agree but it would not have surprised me if Cox had gone with Carey. Here is one site that stated Carey was the likely starter for Russell.

ANALYSIS
Russell apparently sustained the injury during Wednesday's contest against Duquesne and it will cost him at least one game. The 5-11 senior is considered to be day-to-day and will be re-evaluated ahead of their next game against La Salle on Jan. 27. With Russell out, the Rams will be missing their top scorer (15.2 points per game) and assist-getter (4.1 assists per game) as he'll likely be replaced in the starting unit by Jalen Carey.

https://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/pl ... p?id=12021
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'd bet a large sum of money that whoever wrote that analysis just looked at who was listed as the highest minutes per game off the bench and went with that. I would have been surprised to see Carey get the start.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have been a fan of Leggett getting more minutes all year. As has Rambone and Blue Man. I've been very disappointed in his playing time especially as compared to Carey. So I was very happy to see Cox go with Leggett to replace Russell. I was surprised based on the playing time this year. For sure I think Leggett deserved to start over Carey but I have also thought he should have been getting more minutes than Carey too - but the numbers show otherwise.
Carey had more minutes than Leggett in every game except Davidson and Duquesne
Leggett / Carey Minutes per Game
ASU - 15/24 - Carey Started
BC - 15/28 - Carey Started
USF - 12/20 - Carey replaced in Starting Lineup by Malik Martin
SF - 15/17
Seton Hall - 25/ Carey was out injury
Wisconsin - 11/25
WKU - 16/28
Davidson - 16/14 - Leggett with more minutes than Carey
St Bona - 15/26
St Joseph's - 12/23
Richmond - 14/15
VCU - 11/14
UMASS - 9/13
GMU - 15/17
Duquesne - 12/11 - Leggett with more minutes than Carey
Fordham - 25/17 - Leggett Started for Russell. Leggett with more minutes than Carey
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The 14/15 & 15/17 games are negligible. No coach monitors the minutes to the Second. That’s dumb.

What matters is Carey’s minutes have gone down and Ish’s up.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago The 14/15 & 15/17 games are negligible. No coach monitors the minutes to the Second. That’s dumb.

My point is that I was pleasantly surprised Leggett got the start.

It seems that the majority of posters here knew Leggett was going to get the start. There was not much that I was seeing in time management to indicate Cox was going to go with Leggett.

Maybe Cox is reading the KeaneyBlue Board and read what me, Rambone and BlueMan were screaming for Leggett to get more minutes

I'd keep Leggett in the starting line up - if Fatts can't go then Betrand or Martin. I'd probably go with Martin for the stronger defense and rebounding.

Mitchell
Walker
Leggett
Sheppard
Russell
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago The 14/15 & 15/17 games are negligible. No coach monitors the minutes to the Second. That’s dumb.

It seems that the majority of posters here knew Leggett was going to get the start. There was not much that I was seeing in time management to indicate Cox was going to go with Leggett.

Maybe Cox is reading the KeaneyBlue Board and read what me, Rambone and BlueMan were screaming for Leggett to get more minutes

I'd keep Leggett in the starting line up - if Fatts can't go then Betrand or Martin. I'd probably go with Martin for the stronger defense and rebounding.

Mitchell
Walker
Leggett
Sheppard
Russell
Gotcha.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Mitchell
Walker
Leggett
Sheppard
Russell
You forgot a couple of people in the Ish needing more minutes group. I've wanted this kid to get more minutes from day one. As Rhody15 has said, I'm 100% one of Ish's fanboys... Anyway, I have noticed that Cox has started to go to Ish more and Carey less in the last couple of games. I would love to see him remain in the starting lineup, but I think he moves him back to the bench. At this point, Ish seeing 20 minutes a game would make me happy..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Mitchell
Walker
Leggett
Sheppard
Russell
You forgot a couple of people in the Ish needing more minutes group. I've wanted this kid to get more minutes from day one. As Rhody15 has said, I'm 100% one of Ish's fanboys... Anyway, I have noticed that Cox has started to go to Ish more and Carey less in the last couple of games. I would love to see him remain in the starting lineup, but I think he moves him back to the bench. At this point, Ish seeing 20 minutes a game would make me happy..
ooooopppps

Sorry about that Stevey

The good news is Leggett finally got his due. I'd love to see him stay in the starting line up now. The kid is a winner and a leader. We need more leadership on the floor - that is certain.

Yeah, Rhody15 is a big supporter of Carey. Carey has certainly gotten a good look with getting in the starting lineup for the first two games of the season.
Nice to see Leggett get the starting opportunity vs Fordham. He certainly earned it.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Mitchell
Walker
Leggett
Sheppard
Russell
ooooopppps

Sorry about that Stevey

The good news is Leggett finally got his due. I'd love to see him stay in the starting line up now. The kid is a winner and a leader. We need more leadership on the floor - that is certain.
I couldn’t agree more
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely play Ish L more and Jalen C less
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ooooopppps

Sorry about that Stevey

I couldn’t agree more
When Betrand got the start 5 games ago vs VCU then we saw Carey’s minutes drop quite a bit and even out with Leggett’s minutes. Then Cox made the call for Leggett to start for the injured Russell.
Not sure we would be seeing Leggett start for Russell had Cox not made the Betrand for Martin starting lineup change.
Now I’d start Leggett for Betrand, Leggett is that good and with excellent promise and leadership skills.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I want to know all these people you claim have been clamoring for Carey to get more minutes over Ish? It’s been pretty unanimous on this board after the first few games that most everyone wanted more minutes for Ish. You weren’t going out on a limb there.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Leggett should be starting and playing minutes should have been steadily increasing for a player of his potential and the lack of a leader on the floor such as Jeff Dowtin has shown.

Leggett’s minutes:
1st 4 games: 15,15,12,15 = 14 ave
2nd 4 games: 25,11,16,16 = 18 ave
3rd 4 games: 15,12,14,11 = 13 ave
4th 3 games: 9,15,12 = 12 ave

So until his start for Fatts getting 25 minutes we have seen Leggett’s minutes drop to a season low in the most recent group of games.
Carey’s minutes dropped when Betrand came along. Carey’s minutes didn’t go to Leggett.

b]Leggett / Carey Minutes per Game[/b]
ASU - 15/24 - Carey Started
BC - 15/28 - Carey Started
USF - 12/20 - Carey replaced in Starting Lineup by Malik Martin
SF - 15/17
Seton Hall - 25/ Carey was out injury
Wisconsin - 11/25
WKU - 16/28
Davidson - 16/14 - Leggett with more minutes than Carey
St Bona - 15/26
St Joseph's - 12/23
Richmond - 14/15
VCU - 11/14
UMASS - 9/13
GMU - 15/17
Duquesne - 12/11 - Leggett with more minutes than Carey
Fordham - 25/17 - Leggett Started for Russell. Leggett with more minutes than Carey
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Leggett should be starting.
We all love Ish, but not sure if Cox is ready to make that move.
He may keep AB or switch back to Martin because of their size at the 3 and matchup with some of the larger guards or wings.
Martin will give you more of a defensive presence and has shown flashes of offense, while AB can be that scoring threat.
I am okay with all as long as Ish still gets valuable minutes.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I almost agree with Ish at the point, Fatts at the 2, Shep at the 3. Martin/Beatrand haven't been stellar.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Leggett should be starting.
I love Ish, but who do you bench? I don't think you can take Fatts or Sheppard out of the lineup. I mean, we saw what the offense looked like sans Fatts (not great!). They could sit Betrand and go three guards, but that lineup is awfully small...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I almost agree with Ish at the point, Fatts at the 2, Shep at the 3. Martin/Beatrand haven't been stellar.
Fatts is not a 2 guard. Your 2 guard cannot be someone who shoots a career 28% from 3, in the midst of his SECOND season at 23% or below, and somehow takes the most shots on the team.

Fatts is a PG. Just like with Jeff Dowtin you cannot take the ball out of the hand of your best floor general.

Ish should be treated similar as Jeff to Jarvis (minus the complete changeover), but as someone who comes in and runs the offense as the primary PG for 10-15 mins a game. Ish should also get some 2 guard experience for another 5-10 mins.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I almost agree with Ish at the point, Fatts at the 2, Shep at the 3. Martin/Beatrand haven't been stellar.
Fatts is not a 2 guard. Your 2 guard cannot be someone who shoots a career 28% from 3, in the midst of his SECOND season at 23% or below, and somehow takes the most shots on the team.

Fatts is a PG. Just like with Jeff Dowtin you cannot take the ball out of the hand of your best floor general.

Ish should be treated similar as Jeff to Jarvis (minus the complete changeover), but as someone who comes in and runs the offense as the primary PG for 10-15 mins a game. Ish should also get some 2 guard experience for another 5-10 mins.
Blue Man we agree, Fatts needs to have the ball in his hands and stay at PG.
Shep is definitely best at the 2 and probably need AB or Martin on the wing.
I see Ish getting his minutes rotating at the 1 and 2, not sure I am comfortable starting a small lineup of Fatts, Shep, and Ish. I think that would create defensive matchup issues.
But Cox, continues to experiment so who knows and I also don't think he will bury Carey on the bench.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Just to remind people that we are not alone. Just look at the Blackburn Review - it is a great blog of Dayton Flyers Basketball

https://www.blackburnreview.com/2021/01 ... s-present/

They are very aware that on any given night - they can beat the best of the A10 (St Louis) or lose to the worst of the A10 (losses to both Fordham and LaSalle)

Read the article on Turnovers - which is very similar to our problems - when you turn the ball over a the rate we do - its hard to recover even if you out rebound the shit of the other team. Shooting the percentages we do - we live this every game.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Basically an 8 man rotation tonight. Carey played four minutes, Harris played two.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

URIFIJI wrote: 3 years ago Just to remind people that we are not alone. Just look at the Blackburn Review - it is a great blog of Dayton Flyers Basketball

https://www.blackburnreview.com/2021/01 ... s-present/

They are very aware that on any given night - they can beat the best of the A10 (St Louis) or lose to the worst of the A10 (losses to both Fordham and LaSalle)

Read the article on Turnovers - which is very similar to our problems - when you turn the ball over a the rate we do - its hard to recover even if you out rebound the shit of the other team. Shooting the percentages we do - we live this every game.
URI and Dayton are built the same way. Guard heavy scoring...and if their two main guards have off nights, it’ll be tough to win. I think Rhody had a slight advantage down low and a slight advantage on depth. However Dayton has been more consistent than we’ve been this year. As I’ve stated many times before, we can beat anyone when we’re on and we can lose to anyone when we’re off.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers