1/20 | Duquesne | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 1/20 | Duquesne | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago So we have a point guard who started in back to back NCAA tournament winning teams.

Cox decides for his last two years to take him off the ball and have Fatts run the show.

Then, Cox decides to have a JC transfer, hasn’t played D1 basketball in three years, to run the show, and take Fatts off the ball after he’s run the show for the last two years.

So you don’t let Dowtin run the show after he won tournament games and a conference championship, but then you let Sheppard who hasn’t played Division 1 in three years? How? Why?
Because of the “system” that mandates we have anyone play PG.

It’s dumb but we’re committed to it. It was dumb then and it’s dumb now. It’s going to be dumb forever. If it were a smart system we’d see it all over the place. It isn’t.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DanInAZ wrote: 3 years ago Fire that Kentucky coach... His team is 4-9.

Welcome to transactional society.
See this is where people are missing the forest for the trees.

If only there was a litany of national championships, final fours, SEC titles, top 10 and #1 rankings, preseason tournament titles, NBA players, big wins, etc for those Kentucky fans to point to and say: hmmm..maybe Cal can get it done.

No one is saying Cox can’t do it because of our record.

People are QUESTIONING whether he can because there is no hard evidence, a track record of success, or any type of progress in 3 years of experience here.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Big spot for DC. Does he have a moment of clarity this week and realize he needs to reel Fatts in to have a chance to salvage the season? Does he bench him for the first half of the next game like he did against Davidson last year, or cut his minutes? Since results between now and the A10 tournament don’t matter, he needs to use these remaining regular season games to make it clear as to how he wants Fatts to play, as well as a few others. As to in game managing, both with timeouts and substitutions, that’s a whole other subject.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That coach has won a national championship and almost won more.

I would sell my soul for a national title at URI.

And I wouldn't care if we ever won again if that happened.

JimSidd, this isn't anything new. Cox has allowed Fatts to run amok many times, and nothing changes.

He should have learned the lesson a long time ago, yet the same thing happens again and again.

It isn't that Cox makes coaching mistakes, all coaches do from time to time.

But the GOOD coaches learn from them, and don't keep repeating them.

This has gone on too long.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Once again, Leggett makes winning plays when he's in there.......gets 12 minutes.
He didn’t make a shot, let’s not make it seem like he lit the world on fire when he was out there.
4 points, 3 rebounds, a nice assist and tough defense in 12 minutes....you say he didn't make a shot...he took 2.
Ish didn't set the world on fire, but his +/- was +7 compared to Fatts at -7.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Has anyone ever posted this story before? If so, my
Apologies for posting again. If not, just another example of Cox bowing down to Fatts.

Cox’s first year when they were struggling, Cox brought them to Narragansett beach for an early morning work out.

Fatts refused to get out of the van and participate, stating “this is not going to make me a better basketball player.”

No repercussions or anything came from that.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

He didn’t make a shot, let’s not make it seem like he lit the world on fire when he was out there.
4 points, 3 rebounds, a nice assist and tough defense in 12 minutes....you say he didn't make a shot...he took 2.
Ish didn't set the world on fire, but his +/- was +7 compared to Fatts at -7.
Leggett needs 20-25 minutes a night to make an impact where we can judge his improvement and gain experience for next year. URI really needs another point guard next year badly to go with Ish. The worst scenario would be Carey as a starter next year. You can pretty much guarantee it would be impossible to do better than a .500 record with him getting big minutes. He has to be the biggest disappointment. The best hope for this program is the Mitchell twins, Ish, Bertrand to keep improving(which I think he will with a full year under his belt and a more balanced offense not centered around Fatts.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Has anyone ever posted this story before? If so, my
Apologies for posting again. If not, just another example of Cox bowing down to Fatts.

Cox’s first year when they were struggling, Cox brought them to Narragansett beach for an early morning work out.

Fatts refused to get out of the van and participate, stating “this is not going to make me a better basketball player.”

No repercussions or anything came from that.
I can't say I had heard of that story, but it wouldn't be super surprising with the dynamic present the first year. Remember in the Harvard game that year that Cox drew a play up in time out for the last shot of the game and Fatts overrode him and said he was taking the last shot. Both Cox and Fatts talked about it in the post game so it's a 100% accurate story. Cox seems completely unable to coach Fatts
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since Ish will be the best ball handler on the team, he should run the show.

Oh wait, Cox is the coach!

Scratch that thought.

Fatts has pictures on Cox or so it seems. He has free reign. Nothing will change the rest of the season.

Could also explain the team's downcast attitude and lack of hustle at times.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago This loss is on Fatts and Harris. I said earlier that this was no guaranteed win. With Makhi down, Harris was needed and he has let the program down. Fatts wants to pad his career stats. Cox should pull a Jack Kraft.
Anyone who thinks Fatts is one of the top couple players in URI history is crazy!! Let’s take a look at his career-freshman year a valuable role player who brought energy, but not the reason we had such an unbelievable year(most valuable year for him at uri in my opinion. Year 2 was an awful year for Fatts and the team as they were never close to a Bid. Year 3 he had an MVP type start only for him and the team the team to completely cave down the stretch and were nowhere near an NCAA bid before the season got called. Year 4 a complete Garbage show resembling his sophomore season. His point totals always look better because he is a very good foul shooter and takes so many shots he is forced to get 15-17 points. I like watching Fatts at URI and he could be a very exciting player, but he is not in conversation of being one of the best players at URI.
Fatts Russell is the Craig Biggio of URI basketball. Ton of games, great compiler of stats, a short time of transcendence, hall of fame member, but not an inner circle player
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really horrific loss and inexcusable to blow a 17 point lead to a bad team , disgusted
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah no strong feeling here either way , if we play well it’s a win if we play poorly a loss
Pick a Rhody loss, reef. Need to keep that mojo going.
Ok since you asked Duquesne 60-59
Good call on the winner Reef.

The Final of 71-69 for 140 points exactly hit the over/under Vegas number of 140.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m sick over this loss. Worse than UMass. Not sure if SmartyBarrett already posted this (I’m not going to read the entire thread)

Similar story 2 years ago.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess many of you younger fans didn't get my Jack Kraft reference. Now is the best time to dump players who will not be a factor next year and develop a team for the future with the rest. As happened with Jack Kraft there will screams from the opposition. Too bad. Thor should give Cox an extension to show his support - there is no better time to double down. Now is the time to build a winning program at URI. Fatts and Harris are a detriment to the future of the program and should be jettisoned.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Makes you wonder about last years transfers. These players are young, but they're not stupid. They've been around winning basketball for most of their lives. They can smell a rotten fish (program) long before any of us.

I don't even want to think about what's going on in Ish's head right now. He may be the next one to pull the rip-cord.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I guess many of you younger fans didn't get my Jack Kraft reference. Now is the best time to dump players who will not be a factor next year and develop a team for the future with the rest. As happened with Jack Kraft there will screams from the opposition. Too bad. Thor should give Cox an extension to show his support - there is no better time to double down. Now is the time to build a winning program at URI. Fatts and Harris are a detriment to the future of the program and should be jettisoned.
Wild post, I do remember when Kraft was so upset he benched his starters. Cox is not Kraft and we aren't at that point.
I was also at the game in South Florida when Kraft was so mad at the officials he pulled the team off the court and they left.
No way does he shelve Fatts his senior year, that's crazy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox has next season to either get his act together, or lose his job.

Someone said that if we don't dance next year, this board will melt down.

Well I've got news....the meltdown is happening and will only get worse, WAY before then.

It's clear to me, that if Thorr doesn't can him after next season [if he flops again of course], then we have another Baron on our hands, for who knows how long.

One thing's for sure, Cox will not get extended after this season. After next season, either an extension or a pink slip.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Cox stayed so we could retain our recruits. Everyone left except Fatts.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox has next season to either get his act together, or lose his job.

Someone said that if we don't dance next year, this board will melt down.

Well I've got news....the meltdown is happening and will only get worse, WAY before then.

It's clear to me, that if Thorr doesn't can him after next season [if he flops again of course], then we have another Baron on our hands, for who knows how long.

One thing's for sure, Cox will not get extended after this season. After next season, either an extension or a pink slip.
That is a BOLD post, nothing is for sure especially with all the uncertainty floating around, Rhode Island administration included.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, no matter how much we complain, nothing will happen after this season.

Cox will get a pass for this season for sure. But the signs are very troubling, his track record offers no assurance of improvement.

With only 10 games left [at most] in the regular season, and a quick exit on the A10 tourney, this will be over soon.
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Not sure what Cox has left on his contract but there is no chance we will fire him and pay him for any years left on his contract. The school and sports are bleeding money right now.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Cox stayed so we could retain our recruits. Everyone left except Fatts.
It was more than just retaining the current recruits, this was not a Jerry D situation. Cox was an extremely competent assistant coach, had great recruiting ties of his own and would have gotten a head coaching job somewhere.

So far, I am not upset with the recruiting even if it is mostly via transfer. The Mitchell’s are going to be the best bigs this school has ever seen. He identified a nice player in DJ that has a role on an A10 team. AB is at minimum a starter on upper level A10 team. Ish is a very good all around player. Antoine is a very solid player. These are good parts, lots of good shooters, rebounding, etc.

Now he needs to put them together and win games. This year is about Fatts 100%. Cox needs to reign him in and get him playing MVP level basketball for 10 games. He actually did it last year for about that long.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea, its tough, I'm constantly split between "he's an awful in game coach and needs to go" and "give the man 1-2 more years". This team shouldn't be 7-8, but maybe we can see a different result next season. Looking back at Dayton in 2018 (losing record of 14-17), two season later they were #2 in the Nation.
0 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Yea, its tough, I'm constantly split between "he's an awful in game coach and needs to go" and "give the man 1-2 more years". This team shouldn't be 7-8, but maybe we can see a different result next season. Looking back at Dayton in 2018 (losing record of 14-17), two season later they were #2 in the Nation.
Obi Toppin ain’t walking through that door...
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

This is not me supporting the coach, bashing the coach, or anything in-between, but I will say that this is undoubtedly a game where we win with a second Mitchell twin.

Mitchell's defense and offense changed when he was in foul trouble. They couldn't hang in the first half and our strategy changed to protect MItchell. He's a stud and it's very noticeable when he's sitting and Harris is playing.

That said, it's still an inexcusable loss.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

How it started.

How it ended up.

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Great point by Morey.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Yea, its tough, I'm constantly split between "he's an awful in game coach and needs to go" and "give the man 1-2 more years". This team shouldn't be 7-8, but maybe we can see a different result next season. Looking back at Dayton in 2018 (losing record of 14-17), two season later they were #2 in the Nation.
Maybe so. But Makhel and Makhi did.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wild post, I do remember when Kraft was so upset he benched his starters. Cox is not Kraft and we aren't at that point.
Jersey77, Kraft dismissed the seniors from the team.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Maybe so. But Makhel and Makhi did.
Ya, they are going to be two of the best big men in the conference. Being a top 10 NBA draft pick is a different story but you never know.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don't think Dayton knew Obi would be a lottery pick.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes, my memory coming back 74-75 team with seniors Randy Hughes, Larry Lavane, and Jerry Minetti.
Not a huge roster loss, we did have Jiggy, Stan, Carlton, Cizynski, Wilds, Soares, and my friend Nelson Lopes.

I also believe there was more to it. These players weren't taking direction and there was a disconnect between them and the rest of the team.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago This loss is on Fatts and Harris. I said earlier that this was no guaranteed win. With Makhi down, Harris was needed and he has let the program down. Fatts wants to pad his career stats. Cox should pull a Jack Kraft.
Anyone who thinks Fatts is one of the top couple players in URI history is crazy!! Let’s take a look at his career-freshman year a valuable role player who brought energy, but not the reason we had such an unbelievable year(most valuable year for him at uri in my opinion. Year 2 was an awful year for Fatts and the team as they were never close to a Bid. Year 3 he had an MVP type start only for him and the team the team to completely cave down the stretch and were nowhere near an NCAA bid before the season got called. Year 4 a complete Garbage show resembling his sophomore season. His point totals always look better because he is a very good foul shooter and takes so many shots he is forced to get 15-17 points. I like watching Fatts at URI and he could be a very exciting player, but he is not in conversation of being one of the best players at URI.
Fatts Russell is the Craig Biggio of URI basketball. Ton of games, great compiler of stats, a short time of transcendence, hall of fame member, but not an inner circle player
Craig Biggio, I like that example. I was going to say very similar to Dawan Robinson in relation to pts and shooting percentage...I liked Dawan and I like Fatts now as player, but certainly not in the conversation as all tike Rhody greats
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

Craig Biggio, I like that example. I was going to say very similar to Dawan Robinson in relation to pts and shooting percentage...I liked Dawan and I like Fatts now as player, but certainly not in the conversation as all tike Rhody greats
Dawan was a different player when he came back from his injury. If that didn't' happen I think he would have been one of our all-time greats. His game-winner against' Seton Hall is still one of my favorite Ryan Center experiences.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Not sure what Cox has left on his contract but there is no chance we will fire him and pay him for any years left on his contract. The school and sports are bleeding money right now.
He has 2 years left after this season. A very URI friendly buyout.

That said, he's not going anywhere after this season, I would think.

However if next season isn't a LOT better, he needs to go.

There are so many areas he needs to improve on, between player development and coaching games. It's not just one thing.

Fatts is exhibit A. He's gotten worse, not better.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With more than half the season gone, we now know this team has an identity - inconsistent, lacks heart, no clutch, poor shooters.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago With more than half the season gone, we now know this team has an identity - inconsistent, lacks heart, no clutch, poor shooters.
3 players over 40% from 3, one play at 38%.

Also 6 players over 70% from the line, with two over 80%.

So I wouldn’t say poor shooters.

It just seems like we do because our worst shooter is taking the most shots.
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago With more than half the season gone, we now know this team has an identity - inconsistent, lacks heart, no clutch, poor shooters.

ding ding ding!
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Actually to rephrase my point, i would add poor ball control and poor shooting. Rhody15, You don't see that because you are obsessed with "average" stats when a deeper look is always better. Point 1, FG shooting went from 42% in 1H to 33% in 2H, 3FG from 31% to 0%, and FT from 83% to 70%. But even those stats do not tell the story. What good is it that the average 3PT shooting is 32.7% when in the 2H it was 0-7.

The Duquesne game went south at the 14+ min. mark when URI had a 14 point lead. Watching this game on ESPN+, by the eight minute mark you could see in the URI body language that this game could be lost. Yes, URI had lower TO's stat in this game 13 TO's, but 8 of them, all four by Fatts, occurred in that last 14 minute span.That extrapolates to an over 20 TO game rate. Ditto for the shooting and the shooters. In URI's eight losses and even some wins, e.g. St Joe's, what you see is the TO's, the poor shooting, the low confidence in critical phases all of which are not reflecting in the "average stats".

In summary, let me say again - "that the average depth of the river is 3 feet, is totally irrelevant to the the family of the person who drowned in the 10 foot section".
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obadiah, and don't forget the abysmal defense on their 3 pt. shooters.

There are so many issues with this team and coach.

When they are good [once in a while] they are very good, but when they are bad, they are off the charts bad.

And the bad outweighs the good right now.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I guess many of you younger fans didn't get my Jack Kraft reference. Now is the best time to dump players who will not be a factor next year and develop a team for the future with the rest. As happened with Jack Kraft there will screams from the opposition. Too bad. Thor should give Cox an extension to show his support - there is no better time to double down. Now is the time to build a winning program at URI. Fatts and Harris are a detriment to the future of the program and should be jettisoned.
I'm still reading thru here/catching up, but... "jettisoned"...LOL... like so much flotsam and jetsam?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Cox stayed so we could retain our recruits. Everyone left except Fatts.
It was more than just retaining the current recruits, this was not a Jerry D situation. Cox was an extremely competent assistant coach, had great recruiting ties of his own and would have gotten a head coaching job somewhere.

So far, I am not upset with the recruiting even if it is mostly via transfer. The Mitchell’s are going to be the best bigs this school has ever seen. He identified a nice player in DJ that has a role on an A10 team. AB is at minimum a starter on upper level A10 team. Ish is a very good all around player. Antoine is a very solid player. These are good parts, lots of good shooters, rebounding, etc.

Now he needs to put them together and win games. This year is about Fatts 100%. Cox needs to reign him in and get him playing MVP level basketball for 10 games. He actually did it last year for about that long.
I like the Mitchells and think they both will be very good players here. But neither is anywhere near the player that Kenny Green was.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, my memory coming back 74-75 team with seniors Randy Hughes, Larry Lavane, and Jerry Minetti.
Not a huge roster loss, we did have Jiggy, Stan, Carlton, Cizynski, Wilds, Soares, and my friend Nelson Lopes.

I also believe there was more to it. These players weren't taking direction and there was a disconnect between them and the rest of the team.
IIRC, Randy Hughes was the team's leading scorer the year before ('73-'74). But it was clear right from the start that this was going to be Jiggy and Stanley's team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

IIRC, Randy Hughes was the team's leading scorer the year before ('73-'74). But it was clear right from the start that this was going to be Jiggy and Stanley's team.
He was that year, Randy was the best leaper I saw in a Rhody uniform (Percy next), but he was a terrible shooter.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He was that year, Randy was the best leaper I saw in a Rhody uniform (Percy next), but he was a terrible shooter.
I saw Vic Soares at a high school game 4 or 5 years ago watching his grandson play.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We aren’t a poor shooting team. All shooting numbers and efficiency numbers up from last year. We have a high usage player who is shooting poorly.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
We aren’t a poor shooting team. All shooting numbers and efficiency numbers up from last year. We have a high usage player who is shooting poorly.
I agree with this, but I'm also not sure if there's a good solution. Kind of like water, players on a team usually find their "level." Fatts is probably taking a lot of shots because most of the other players on the team are complimentary players or spot-up shooters. Even in that role, some of them have high turnover ratios - They're not going to improve if you ask them to start initiating more of the offense. I'd be curious to see the offensive numbers with Fatts on the floor vs. on the bench, but I realize the sample size might be so small that it wouldn't really be informative. (It's also early, and I can't remember where to find them...)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree SG, that’s why I don’t think the solution is less Fatts on the floor bc as you infer it’s likely the attention he gets and spacing he creates helps other shooters. It’s moreso that his shot selection leaves much to be desired.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying Fatts shouldn't be on the floor so much, just that he needs to find our better shooters that are usually open while he ends up taking bad shots or driving into the trees.

The frustrating thing is, sometimes he DOES find the open man.....just like his shooting, it comes in streaks.

He's capable of being a good distributor, he just doesn't do it often enough.

Trying to hog the scoresheet kills the team.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I am super busy at work and watched the first half last night. Except for the dumb foul at the end, looking good. Can’t wait for the second half tonight!
0 x