1/20 | Duquesne | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Re: 1/20 | Duquesne | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Where are the idiots who said “10-7, book it.”

Some people are so clueless.
That was me. I am not clueless. This should have been a win, freakin sucks.
You are extremely clueless when you said “book it” with this team winning 4 straight being 10-7.

It shows you really haven’t been watching this team and how inconsistent they are.
No need to be a jerk about it. We are all fans here.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Where are the idiots who said “10-7, book it.”

Some people are so clueless.
That was me. I am not clueless. This should have been a win, freakin sucks.
You are extremely clueless when you said “book it” with this team winning 4 straight being 10-7.

It shows you really haven’t been watching this team and how inconsistent they are.
I watch every freakin game my friend, I know they are not consistent. They also have not lost to a trash team like this yet this year. Sorry for having some optimism that they would start taking care of business. I didn’t expect them to blow out every team, that just doesn’t happen in college basketball. There are close calls but they should have won this game. It’s bullshit that they didn’t and completely unacceptable.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I can't wait till we lose to Fordham.
Ah, a 52-46 loss to Fordham, a Rhode Island special.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With this talent (as they showed in the first half) this result should be impossible. Shocked.
2 x
GO RAMS
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Glad I ordered ESPN+ today for a year. There are plenty of 30 for 30s to watch I guess.

URI has a new program called 4 for 20. I watched that one tonight.
6 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I can't wait till we lose to Fordham.
A 17 point lead blown to that squad we lost to is by far worse than losing to Fordham. This team is finished with Cox at the helm, also Fatts basically singlehandedly lost us that game.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man, please check in. Are you OK?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago Glad I ordered ESPN+ today for a year. There are plenty of 30 for 30s to watch I guess.

Dude, you are a URI fan. You MUST know to only order month-to-month. :lol:
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I wonder if this is Cox the whole ride home after that game...
Attachments
final_5c11661f32962c0013aa6d07_440813.jpg
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox is well on his way to coaching himself out of a job.

Some of you were figuring after our last game, that things were about to turn around.

I wasn't sold at all. This team can't put 2 good halves together, much less 2 consecutive games.

This has happened for far too long since Cox took over.

The time outs, and Fatts playing beyond stupid with Cox letting him do it, doesn't change.

I hate to say this, but I don't want any false hope anymore about this staff. This season is toast...put it out of it's misery.

If Thorr doesn't pull the plug on this shitshow after next season, you can count me out until Thorr or whoever does do it.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This loss is on Fatts and Harris. I said earlier that this was no guaranteed win. With Makhi down, Harris was needed and he has let the program down. Fatts wants to pad his career stats. Cox should pull a Jack Kraft.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

FYI - I am also now on the we will be better without Fatts bandwagon. He wins you some games you shouldn’t, but is such an inconsistent player to be the star and center of the action. I would bet most games where he is 30% from the field we win. It is absolutely insane that 30% from the FIELD not being met, yet he still is taking over 12 shots a game. I am willing to give DC a shot next year without him to formulate my opinion on his tenure here.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago ...Fatts playing beyond stupid with Cox letting him do it, doesn't change.
I think we may all be looking back after this year, maybe next, and agreeing with this statement. It has been a MAJOR factor.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Anyone still wanna compare us to Gonzaga?

LOL.
0 x
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Welp, this season was fun.

See you next year.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, please check in. Are you OK?
Lol I had my meltdown already. I said the season was over til March after Davidson. At this point just laugh. It’s how I survived the end of Baron.

I am good for 2 good meltdowns at our first unexpected loss and then the loss that kills the season. Then I laugh for a few months until I buy in at tourney time when we have “a chance” and then I melt down into a puddle of myself.

It’s a great system. I recommend it.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago This loss is on Fatts and Harris. I said earlier that this was no guaranteed win. With Makhi down, Harris was needed and he has let the program down. Fatts wants to pad his career stats. Cox should pull a Jack Kraft.
Hey, how about pony up for a long term contract on Cox. LOL
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago Glad I ordered ESPN+ today for a year. There are plenty of 30 for 30s to watch I guess.

Post of the year right there my friend.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel like Jared Terrell is the only player in the last so many years that showed star promise early and got better all the way to his senior year and then became basically the determining factor in every game and won most of them.

Fatts reminds me of senior year EC. He’s not fully focused on squeezing every inch out of the game for 40 minutes. He checks in and out of the game and doesn’t put forth the respect.

I wonder if he’s hurt because he doesn’t have that senior level focus where he flat out dominates every minute.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........mid pack A-10 team.......heading south......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

C'mon Creighton!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Fatts can’t graduate quickly enough. I just think we'll be a much better TEAM once he's gone. Because of his reputation and past accomplishments, everyone on the team defers to him and let’s him do whatever he wants, including our head coach, sadly enough. It’s pathetic. He's hurt this team way more than help it this year.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

At this point rooting for this team just proves my masochism is getting stronger in my dotage.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This season is far enough along to make it abundantly clear that this team is going no where. One step forward, one step back with no real consistency. This team at best will finish at .500 with a losing record more likely.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago This loss is on Fatts and Harris. I said earlier that this was no guaranteed win. With Makhi down, Harris was needed and he has let the program down. Fatts wants to pad his career stats. Cox should pull a Jack Kraft.
LOL this is the first time I’ll defend Harris.

He had NOTHING to do with this loss. Absolutely nothing. He played ten minutes.

Fatts was terrible yes, but Harris did not cost us the game whatsoever.

Cox cannot manage a game. It’s truly embarrassing.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......the Fatts next level will take care of itself......time for the Coach to take of this team and place his ass on the bench, play Ish major minutes and get him and others ready for next year......and maybe salvage something positive out of this wreck........update, I said in some other topic Fatts is a freakish novelty player, that will have a career in places where English is not the first language.......will draw fans, not a team player......he would probably do well playing the Generals every game......
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Anyone who thinks Fatts is one of the top couple players in URI history is crazy!! Let’s take a look at his career-freshman year a valuable role player who brought energy, but not the reason we had such an unbelievable year(most valuable year for him at uri in my opinion. Year 2 was an awful year for Fatts and the team as they were never close to a Bid. Year 3 he had an MVP type start only for him and the team the team to completely cave down the stretch and were nowhere near an NCAA bid before the season got called. Year 4 a complete Garbage show resembling his sophomore season. His point totals always look better because he is a very good foul shooter and takes so many shots he is forced to get 15-17 points. I like watching Fatts at URI and he could be a very exciting player, but he is not in conversation of being one of the best players at URI.
5 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

My first game missed this year. I didn’t feel like subscribing to ESPN+. My best 2021 decision so far. I checked the game log on ESPN a few times. Interesting to see how the tone of this thread changed over time.
Amazing how this team finds so many different ways to lose. Turnover, rebounding and free throw shooting stats good. Field goal percentage and defensive field goal percentage, not so much.
For this team to do anything the remainder of the year, Fatts should not lead the team in field goal attempts. Period!
Anyone who watched, what’s up with Betrand getting only four field goal attempts? Was he to blame for not moving without the ball or was it on Fatts?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago This season is far enough along to make it abundantly clear that this team is going no where. One step forward, one step back with no real consistency. This team at best will finish at .500 with a losing record more likely.
But, but, but...gelling...and and chemistry....
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Once again, Leggett makes winning plays when he's in there.......gets 12 minutes.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

NJRhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Fatts can’t graduate quickly enough. I just think we'll be a much better TEAM once he's gone. Because of his reputation and past accomplishments, everyone on the team defers to him and let’s him do whatever he wants, including our head coach, sadly enough. It’s pathetic. He's hurt this team way more than help it this year.
Agreed. In 5 losses this year he shot close to 20% from the FIELD. Other 3 losses, 0-5, 0-3, and 2-8 from 3.

Again, he has won Rhody big games with his electric play but he can’t be the center of the offense with those atrocious stats.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody hoops decided to steal the playbook from Rhody football and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

Team should walk home from Pittsburgh after that defensive effort. 40+ points to that trash team?

Fatts with way too many forced shots and though he had 6 assists he had at least 4+ more times where he drove and there were shooters in corner wide open. Come to a jump stop, pivot and pitch it out, easy 3. Watch Nova! It’s not that hard play under control and disciplined.

At least 2 occasions I remember balls on the floor and not any Rams on the floor too...that didn’t happen in previous regime.

Gross loss.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Once again, Leggett makes winning plays when he's in there.......gets 12 minutes.
He didn’t make a shot, let’s not make it seem like he lit the world on fire when he was out there.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
LOL this is the first time I’ll defend Harris.

He had NOTHING to do with this loss. Absolutely nothing. He played ten minutes.

Fatts was terrible yes, but Harris did not cost us the game whatsoever.

Cox cannot manage a game. It’s truly embarrassing.
I think it is more simple than that. Cox cannot manage Fatts. Fatts is the kind of player that needs a 20 year veteran coach to reign him in.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep, let your 20% 3 pt. shooter take 30 footers early in the shot clock while your much better 3 pt. shooters stand around and watch, killing any semblance of ball movement.

And let him do it game after game, with no repercussions while playing 35+ minutes a game while your potentially best guard sits and doesn't get the experience he needs.

And take nonsensical timeouts almost always killing momentum, and not taking them when you need to stop the opponent's momentum.

It's about as stupid as it gets.

Cox hasn't learned shit.

Like I said, Cox made a deal with Fatts to keep him here....and it's costing us games.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just can't fathom how this team lost a17 point lead to a 200+ NET team and lost. At this point in the season. It's just not acceptable.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So we have a point guard who started in back to back NCAA tournament winning teams.

Cox decides for his last two years to take him off the ball and have Fatts run the show.

Then, Cox decides to have a JC transfer, hasn’t played D1 basketball in three years, to run the show, and take Fatts off the ball after he’s run the show for the last two years.

So you don’t let Dowtin run the show after he won tournament games and a conference championship, but then you let Sheppard who hasn’t played Division 1 in three years? How? Why?
3 x
Go Rhody
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Fatts can’t graduate quickly enough. I just think we'll be a much better TEAM once he's gone. Because of his reputation and past accomplishments, everyone on the team defers to him and let’s him do whatever he wants, including our head coach, sadly enough. It’s pathetic. He's hurt this team way more than help it this year.
Agreed. In 5 losses this year he shot close to 20% from the FIELD. Other 3 losses, 0-5, 0-3, and 2-8 from 3.

Again, he has won Rhody big games with his electric play but he can’t be the center of the offense with those atrocious stats.
It’s maddening that Cox continues to let Fatts continue with the awful shot selection. He is the statistically the worst shooter on the team, yet he takes the most shots. It makes no sense.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago So we have a point guard who started in back to back NCAA tournament winning teams.

Cox decides for his last two years to take him off the ball and have Fatts run the show.

Then, Cox decides to have a JC transfer, hasn’t played D1 basketball in three years, to run the show, and take Fatts off the ball after he’s run the show for the last two years.

So you don’t let Dowtin run the show after he won tournament games and a conference championship, but then you let Sheppard who hasn’t played Division 1 in three years? How? Why?
Cox taking Dowtin off point guard is probably the most..........
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts wins us a game here and there, but loses us more.

He's a crap shooter, and hasn't improved a bit in that regard since he's been here.

We will be better off without him next year. And if we're not, then Cox has to be gone.

Harsh, but true.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Once again, Leggett makes winning plays when he's in there.......gets 12 minutes.
He didn’t make a shot, let’s not make it seem like he lit the world on fire when he was out there.
4 points, 3 rebounds, a nice assist and tough defense in 12 minutes....you say he didn't make a shot...he took 2.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Bone, interesting theory on the Cox/Fatts “deal”.......something like, stay at Rhody, after Dan leaves, you will be the focus of out offense, play major minutes and we will spotlight you to the next level.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This loss was on coaching - specifically a lack of discipline.

Fatts takes shots with reckless abandon and is encouraged to do so by the coach. Players making mistakes is one thing - but dogging it, not having emotion, playing without fire - that stuff would never fly under Hurley.

The walker foul? He’d had rode the bench for the rest of the game.

The lack of timeouts. The carelessness with the ball.

Something needs to change, and you cannot tell me that this team isn’t more talented than the sum of its parts.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I subscribed to ESPN+ tonight too. Should have known better.

I'm not sure exactly what to say or how to say it, but as a coach you cannot allow a kid to just knock down another kid without removing him. Protecting Fatts or not it is just wrong. Walker should have been pulled and benched. And at some point, the kids need to understand that every possession is important. Throwing up an obviously crappy shot, or throwing the ball away on an inbounds play, or dribbling into traffic and giving the ball up, or making obviously terrible passes, is not acceptable, 15 point lead or not. They had two good players. Allowing their one good shooter to get multiple wide open 3 point shots is not acceptable, no matter what the lead. Players need to be held accountable. They paid for it in the second half.

I want to give the coach and team every benefit of the doubt but I am tired of this lack of discipline, focus, maturity, whatever. I guess I just need to wait until next year but I have to admit I am losing confidence.

Mitchell looks like a star in the making.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cox needs to make the tourney next year or this board gets ugly.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I wasn’t able to watch the game. Just checked the box. I wish I could say that I am shocked - shocked! - that this team would throw away a 10 point lead with 10 minutes to go, but sadly I cannot.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Happy to say that I went out to dinner during the game and checked it when I got home and if I had watched it myself would’ve prolly lost my shit and been joining some other members with everclear milkshakes
0 x
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

And PC knocks off #11 ...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Cox needs to make the tourney next year or this board gets ugly.
Tournament talk needs to seize to exist. We first need to have a disciplined team that knows what the hell they’re doing. Walk before run. And we’re crawling at the moment.
0 x
Go Rhody
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Fire that Kentucky coach... His team is 4-9.

Welcome to transactional society.
0 x