David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody was no longer on the bubble when play ended last year, they played themselves off on every serious bracket projection
The depends on what you mean by bubble - to me it means any team that can easily be in with their next win or two or out with their next loss or two. Those who would would still be solidly in with two or three losses are not bubble teams nor are teams that are still not close to a bid with a win or two. URI was somewhere in the last 12 out by a lot of predictors when covid shut them down....that is in bubble territory, albeit the wrong side. I do think a trip to the A10 finals, especially if they met and beat Richmond in the semis, would have put them in the first four. Winning it would have likely required a win over Dayton (or if by someone upsetting Dayton, then over SLU).
URI was playing its worst basketball toward the end of the season, barely scraping by against basement teams like Fordham & UMass and was getting blasted by better teams like Dayton & St. Lou, with the experience we had on the roster that should have NEVER happened. We might have been on the bubble radar but there was no realistic chance we were winning a game in the A10 with how we finished.
That is just crazy - yes Dayton embarassed us twice but we were competing with every team. No reason that Jeff and Cyril could not have put together a week and carried the team to the finals.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Part of the problem was we were competing with every team. We should have blown out Fordham and UMass, not been competing with them. Those hurt our computer rankings and our strength in the eyes of people looking at our resume. We only had one good game in the last seven
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......with all that has been said here and will be said over and over, Dave’s future here is going to measured by wins/loss count within the “bar” criteria that the URI Administration has for their basketball coach......he cuts that criteria or he doesn’t........all the other personal traits etc are nice and important......if the stated “bar” for the Admin remains A-10 Championships and Dance appearances, then achieving that is the measuring stick, or otherwise have all those admirable traits and drop URI into the America East......tuff business out there, feel good only goes so far.....just win baby.......harsh?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago David Cox is neither of the age nor does he have the personal characteristics of someone who is going to stop demanding the best of himself. You need to project what he will be like in 2-3 years. There are so many ways that you can incentivize a contract to make him want to stay here and be rewarded for program success. David is not a mediocre individual; he is exceptional. It is much easier to take over different program than move over one seat; he has just gone through this transition. There is too much of the rhode islander mentality here that prevents us from achieving greatness. The treatment of David to date is not inspiring; it's an invitation to pay your dues and move on. It is time recognize his talent and support him accordingly. I'm all in.
Why do you speak with such confidence for something you are 140% incorrect on?

What are you even talking about?

There is not a single accurate, legitimate, remotely relevant statement in this statement.

Are you Jim Baron?

NO ONE IS QUESTIONING THE CHARACTER OF DAVE COX. THIS IS A BASKETBALL PROGRAM NOT A UNITED WAY.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I have soured on Cox great guy but I don’t see him getting us to the next level, if he stays long term I think we will be mediocre say top 4-6 in conference not good enough to dance in the A10

I am willing to let it play out and maybe he can prove me wrong as it seems he can recruit but if we don’t improve from now through end of next year I would like to go in a different direction
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago David Cox is neither of the age nor does he have the personal characteristics of someone who is going to stop demanding the best of himself. You need to project what he will be like in 2-3 years. There are so many ways that you can incentivize a contract to make him want to stay here and be rewarded for program success. David is not a mediocre individual; he is exceptional. It is much easier to take over different program than move over one seat; he has just gone through this transition. There is too much of the rhode islander mentality here that prevents us from achieving greatness. The treatment of David to date is not inspiring; it's an invitation to pay your dues and move on. It is time recognize his talent and support him accordingly. I'm all in.
Good god dude, if you want to give a coach incentive, how about $5 million if he wins the NCAAT? Does that work for you? Maybe $10 million? Cause the marketing alone on applications and donations might make it worthwhile. How about we give a coach this incentive, you make the NCAAT or you forfeit $500K? How about that incentive?
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How the hell could we give a coach a raise and extension when he hasn't done much of anything in 3 years?

If we knew he was going to figure it out and be a very good coach soon, then sure.

But how do we know that? We don't, and until he does, he shouldn't get any extension or raise.

I go by what has happened, and is happening, not some pie in the sky fantasy delusion.

This is a performance based business, like it or not.
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Just a thought...Hurley had Cox and other strong BB coaches as assistants.

Cox doesn’t have any David Cox-like assistants. Is it time to ramp up the assistant coach talent a bit, before we throw Cox out with the bathwater?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Just a thought...Hurley had Cox and other strong BB coaches as assistants.

Cox doesn’t have any David Cox-like assistants. Is it time to ramp up the assistant coach talent a bit, before we throw Cox out with the bathwater?
Uh yes, and it’s been discussed a lot here. But that too falls on DC, he picked his staff. On paper it’s not a very strong one.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Why do you speak with such confidence for something you are 140% incorrect on?

What are you even talking about?

There is not a single accurate, legitimate, remotely relevant statement in this statement.

Are you Jim Baron?

NO ONE IS QUESTIONING THE CHARACTER OF DAVE COX. THIS IS A BASKETBALL PROGRAM NOT A UNITED WAY.

I reread that post 3 times and still don’t understand what in Gods name he meant by that.

It’s actually impressive he could type that much and say absolutely nothing of value.
3 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Just a thought...Hurley had Cox and other strong BB coaches as assistants.

Uh yes, and it’s been discussed a lot here. But that too falls on DC, he picked his staff. On paper it’s not a very strong one.
And he has more money in the assistant coaches pool to hire with than Hurley did.

Like the Austin Carroll thing is a nice story - but is he here because of his qualifications or because of his father?

Boswell was a wreck.

Hurley had multiple assistants poached (which annoyed him that he couldn’t afford to keep guys like Luke or ARD around) but they were at least making waves to be seen by other programs.

Being the head coach of a college program means you are in charge of EVERYTHING. It’s not enough to be a good guy and talented in one area.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s like if the Calm app became sentient and decided to post about basketball.
6 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Do you honestly think he had a choice on the Austin/Dad thing? I suspect it was a way to get around a breach of contract issue. But what do we know...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago

Do you honestly think he had a choice on the Austin/Dad thing? I suspect it was a way to get around a breach of contract issue. But what do we know...
He did have a choice, but decided to bring in Austin and also able to retain the services of his father as "Special Assistant" at a nominal salary, more as a mentor role.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

The depends on what you mean by bubble - to me it means any team that can easily be in with their next win or two or out with their next loss or two. Those who would would still be solidly in with two or three losses are not bubble teams nor are teams that are still not close to a bid with a win or two. URI was somewhere in the last 12 out by a lot of predictors when covid shut them down....that is in bubble territory, albeit the wrong side. I do think a trip to the A10 finals, especially if they met and beat Richmond in the semis, would have put them in the first four. Winning it would have likely required a win over Dayton (or if by someone upsetting Dayton, then over SLU).
URI was playing its worst basketball toward the end of the season, barely scraping by against basement teams like Fordham & UMass and was getting blasted by better teams like Dayton & St. Lou, with the experience we had on the roster that should have NEVER happened. We might have been on the bubble radar but there was no realistic chance we were winning a game in the A10 with how we finished.
That is just crazy - yes Dayton embarassed us twice but we were competing with every team. No reason that Jeff and Cyril could not have put together a week and carried the team to the finals.
Competing? Huh ? We were literally limping into the A10 tournament before it was cancelled. I'm not sure if you were watching us play since the 2/11 bludgeoning we took at Dayton, but this certainly wasn't a team playing with any momentum who was primed to put together a week of good basketball to get to the finals. Well coached teams with no major injuries are suppose to be peaking come tournament time.
2 x
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

A lot here about DC last 3 years and how Hurley left the program. Hurley wasn’t here long enough to create a coaching tree so it wasn’t proven that he developed his staff. Cox was not the answer and we should be looking at “Hurley” type coaches like Kelsey at Winthrop. Blueman’s post is spot on with lack of player development and role identification. No way in hell we give DC a long term deal we need to protect the university against the CFL deal and as many have said if he has success no contract is going to keep him here anyway. 4 of the last 5 coaches went on to bigger programs (Jerry D doesn’t count) I personally would give up any coach for a sweet 16 year or multiple appearances with a 1st round win. Cox has lost his leader this year which has killed us in close winnable games. Some said that free throws and turnovers are killing us which is true but against UMASS the free throw whoas we two players, Fatts and Mitchell, Mitchell is just a pour free throw shooter and that will not change but Fatts is one of the best and another poster said one of the most clutch of all time so how does that person go 5 of 8?? Lack of focus is the only reason and that goes to preparation which leads back to Cox. If we have a coach for many years it’s because we are stuck in mediocrity and that’s not good enough for this program and it’s fab base.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think most posters here are missing the development of a great college basketball coach. URI pays him a half million less than they offered Hurley and then says they have no more money for assistants and a basketball facility. David Cox will move onto a school that is not full of big thinkers but big doers.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I think most posters here are missing the development of a great college basketball coach. URI pays him a half million less than they offered Hurley and then says they have no more money for assistants and a basketball facility. David Cox will move onto a school that is not full of big thinkers but big doers.
........gotta ask, what in the Cox resume, at this point, indicates that he is/will be hot commodity?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Payton34 wrote: 3 years ago A lot here about DC last 3 years and how Hurley left the program. Hurley wasn’t here long enough to create a coaching tree so it wasn’t proven that he developed his staff. Cox was not the answer and we should be looking at “Hurley” type coaches like Kelsey at Winthrop. Blueman’s post is spot on with lack of player development and role identification. No way in hell we give DC a long term deal we need to protect the university against the CFL deal and as many have said if he has success no contract is going to keep him here anyway. 4 of the last 5 coaches went on to bigger programs (Jerry D doesn’t count) I personally would give up any coach for a sweet 16 year or multiple appearances with a 1st round win. Cox has lost his leader this year which has killed us in close winnable games. Some said that free throws and turnovers are killing us which is true but against UMASS the free throw whoas we two players, Fatts and Mitchell, Mitchell is just a pour free throw shooter and that will not change but Fatts is one of the best and another poster said one of the most clutch of all time so how does that person go 5 of 8?? Lack of focus is the only reason and that goes to preparation which leads back to Cox. If we have a coach for many years it’s because we are stuck in mediocrity and that’s not good enough for this program and it’s fab base.
Pat Kelsey, that was a weird situation at UMass backing out just prior to officially be named head coach. Not sure we want to go through something like that.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I think most posters here are missing the development of a great college basketball coach. URI pays him a half million less than they offered Hurley and then says they have no more money for assistants and a basketball facility. David Cox will move onto a school that is not full of big thinkers but big doers.
They pay him the same that they offered Hurley in his first contract. He has more money for assistants than Hurley ever had. He has all the program enhancements Hurley had to fight for. He is getting a practice facility.

How are you so insanely biased that you think Cox is being persecuted or disrespected or not being helped for some reason?

If (and I am not saying it will happen because he could definitely turn it around), but if Dave Cox is let go by URI for not making the tourney after 4-5 years at a place like URI, where do you think he goes?

You are correct that you have to put the right contract in front of the coach so he stays once he proves himself - but he hasn’t proven himself. URI struck out with Hurley after the first tourney. I am hoping they will not do the same with Cox if he makes the adjustments to right the ship.

But your weird infatuation with Cox as a great coach because he’s a great guy is really, really strange.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Every time they have shown him today I swear he is half asleep.. eyes half shut just standing there staring.. what's up with that
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

There is a piece of me that wants to cut Cox slack because of all the transfers on top of the pandemic. There is also a piece of me that sees the same mistakes every game and ask myself what the coach is doing about it because there is no improvement.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......quick, lock Cox into a huge deal, before other programs come after him.......😉
6 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When you win, everyone loves you.

When you lose [and look like shit doing so] everyone hates you.

One game does not make a season.....consistency please.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on 72 u are better than that
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Payton34 wrote: 3 years ago A lot here about DC last 3 years and how Hurley left the program. Hurley wasn’t here long enough to create a coaching tree so it wasn’t proven that he developed his staff. Cox was not the answer and we should be looking at “Hurley” type coaches like Kelsey at Winthrop. Blueman’s post is spot on with lack of player development and role identification. No way in hell we give DC a long term deal we need to protect the university against the CFL deal and as many have said if he has success no contract is going to keep him here anyway. 4 of the last 5 coaches went on to bigger programs (Jerry D doesn’t count) I personally would give up any coach for a sweet 16 year or multiple appearances with a 1st round win. Cox has lost his leader this year which has killed us in close winnable games. Some said that free throws and turnovers are killing us which is true but against UMASS the free throw whoas we two players, Fatts and Mitchell, Mitchell is just a pour free throw shooter and that will not change but Fatts is one of the best and another poster said one of the most clutch of all time so how does that person go 5 of 8?? Lack of focus is the only reason and that goes to preparation which leads back to Cox. If we have a coach for many years it’s because we are stuck in mediocrity and that’s not good enough for this program and it’s fab base.
Like Kelsey. I wouldn't go near him after his UMass stunt. Other than that I agree wholeheartedly with this post
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

How has he developed since he took over the role? I've seen none on his part. He still can't keep players, he still has weird time out usage, his teams still lack discipline.

We paid Hurley more because he had a track record, was better, and he had other suiters. We're paying Cox very well considering he had no experience in this role coming in. His salary hasn't increased because nobody outside of Kingston wants him as a head coach. Like this is basic economics and basketball, not exactly high level stuff
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago Come on 72 u are better than that
Objection, facts not in evidence
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
How has he developed since he took over the role? I've seen none on his part. He still can't keep players, he still has weird time out usage, his teams still lack discipline.

We paid Hurley more because he had a track record, was better, and he had other suiters. We're paying Cox very well considering he had no experience in this role coming in. His salary hasn't increased because nobody outside of Kingston wants him as a head coach. Like this is basic economics and basketball, not exactly high level stuff
Too early in his tenure as a head coach to make these comparisons and determinations, I think you need to give him a Full Normal Year before making judgement calls. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I disagree at this time, and I do get very critical of Cox at times.

This team doesn't lack total discipline, he managed to keep it Covid free at this point, when so many programs in and out of our conference have been on pause. I also see improvement with on court discipline and should continue to get better.

As far as interest, Cox mentioned as coach on the rise by Jon Rothstein:

"David Cox, Rhode Island: It wasn’t an easy task to be the guy who followed Dan Hurley at Rhode Island, but Cox has done an admirable job. The Rams have won a combined 39 games in the past two seasons under Cox, whose calm demeanor and temperament constantly reiterate that he has the tools to be a successful head coach at the power conference level".
2 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

46-31...............60% win percentage, and in his first three years as a D1 coach
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I think I'm quite a bit closer to the posters who want to keep David as opposed to the posters who are already figuring out whom to replace him with. The reality of the school's finances mean buying out someone only occurs if the coach is really derelict or if a donor is willing to eat the remaining money to make it happen. We are not Dayton (or our previous conference mate Xavier) who can just turn over good coach after good coach leaving for bigger opportunities to keep their program's momentum. Most of our fellow A10 programs are on the limited budget side for men's basketball, and there seem to be a LOT more misses than hits when it comes to coaching turnover. We're just fortunate to not have made a "wartime" coaching change since 2012.

After Davidson with McKillop the lifer, and Dayton and VCU who have excellent resources, who in the conference can be described as not mediocre when you look at the composite of say, last 10-12 years. I mean Richmond fans were calling for Chris Mooney's head a few years ago, as an example.

I'm selfish and demanding and get pissed when we lose too, so as much as I hate to say 'take it easy' on anyone, as CT Ram posts above David is at a 60% win rate. With Fatts' time winding down this is really becoming David's team, so a lot of debates about did he ride Dan's coattails to that 60% and actually underachieve as a coach will be settled quite emphatically over this next year. This is David's 3rd season coaching D1 ball, at which point 3 years in Dan was in his 1st year here. Tough to make a comparison on actual coaching ability between the 2 at like times, because in 2012-13 X was basically carrying the team to their 8 wins (Malone and Malesevic averaged double-figure points but damned if I remember them ever being that relevant). Obviously the cupboard is fuller for David in that respect.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The issue is time. I think the time fans are comfortable with is 5 years. Dave is in year 3. Next year will be D Day for Dave.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I guess that until we hear differently from the AD as to where the “bar” is......this discussion will go and on when the bar is not reached......60% season wins, great......BTW, I do not expect the come out and state the bar has been lowered to......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

One thing Baron gave us, no patience.
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I guess first question is who is making the decision, i.e. whether we know if Bjorn is going to stay past the President's term ending this summer. As mentioned in the other thread the last news about his contract status was in 2015 the ProJo had an article about him "negotiating an extension". Thorr could be signed through this fiscal year or through 2025 for all we know. If it is true about him taking the Pitino offer to Dooley for it to be shot down, maybe Thorr will actually be invigorated to stay here with a new President depending on the selection. We'll see if the feeling is mutual on the part of the incoming President.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The next President has some BIG shoes to fill. That's for sure. The University looks 100000000% better than before Dooley.

Improvements under Dooley:

Fascitelli Center
Upgraded locker room
New Training facility
New dorms
New Apartments
New Chemistry building
New Bio building
New Engineering building
The list goes on and on........
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......May I add, the new Welcoming Center, went to the Grand Opening, quite impressive...
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This forum gets worse and worse. You guys are unreal, ready to can Cox midway through covid season, his third season as a head coach. when Hurley was in his third season here it was his fifth season as a head coach and he was still cutting his teeth, he had plenty of shortcomings. I'm not making excuses for DC, I'm not at all comfortable with a 7 and 7 w/l record at this point, but it's mid-season, do you know how many times I had a C in a class at mid-semester and pulled off the A or A- as a final grade?
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Running Ram, after Baron I don't give a coach an inch. Why? Cause if they have success here they leave at first chance. If they don't, they stay and rot.
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Dave's staff is not up to par with the top programs in our conference. He is wearing too many hats. Kevin Sutton has experience and his niche seems to be player development. Having two young guys cutting their teeth filling out the staff is not ideal. T.J is beloved and bleeds Keaney Blue but he is 27 and has very little experience. On most staffs he would still be in a Player Development role or Operational role. Austin Carroll is here because of Dad?

It's my opinion he needs a veteran X and O guy who is battle tested and full of experience. The other position maybe someone with strong NYC/PHILLY or New England roots. Someone like Preston Murphy would be Ideal. I know that will probably never happen but I can dream. Hell we should have hired Tyson to work with our guards, I'm sure he would have made an impact with our turnover issues.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Running Ram, after Baron I don't give a coach an inch. Why? Cause if they have success here they leave at first chance. If they don't, they stay and rot.
We can't rush to that thinking. I never thought this was a destination job for DH, at least when we hired Cox he did indicate it was for him. They are two different people with separate desires and I feel that if we treat DC fairly and give him every opportunity to succeed he may be apt to stay for the long run with positive results.

I hate to see this program in constant flux and always rebuilding with revolving coaches.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago This forum gets worse and worse. You guys are unreal, ready to can Cox midway through covid season, his third season as a head coach. when Hurley was in his third season here it was his fifth season as a head coach and he was still cutting his teeth, he had plenty of shortcomings. I'm not making excuses for DC, I'm not at all comfortable with a 7 and 7 w/l record at this point, but it's mid-season, do you know how many times I had a C in a class at mid-semester and pulled off the A or A- as a final grade?
I am also not happy with the 7-7 record, but it comes with a 67 Net and 63 Kenpom ranking. These were not cupcakes. We should have won at least 1 more game and been 8-6 or 9-5 which would feel better, but we are in striking distance and the schedule looks more favorable for Ws.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago This forum gets worse and worse. You guys are unreal, ready to can Cox midway through covid season, his third season as a head coach. when Hurley was in his third season here it was his fifth season as a head coach and he was still cutting his teeth, he had plenty of shortcomings. I'm not making excuses for DC, I'm not at all comfortable with a 7 and 7 w/l record at this point, but it's mid-season, do you know how many times I had a C in a class at mid-semester and pulled off the A or A- as a final grade?
I am also not happy with the 7-7 record, but it comes with a 67 Net and 63 Kenpom ranking. These were not cupcakes. We should have won at least 1 more game and been 8-6 or 9-5 which would feel better, but we are in striking distance and the schedule looks more favorable for Ws.
Spot on. Record never tells a full story. For reference URI is ranked 327th in Kenpom “Luck”. For those unfamiliar with the stat, they’re defying all odds to not have a better record. In other words, extremely unlucky

I think there’s always good reason to want more, but given our strength of schedule this season is far from a disappointment
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DCs seat isn’t even close to lukewarm at this point, for the people that make those decisions. It’s stupid to even be raising this conversation. This can rightfully be revisited at the end of next season.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Other teams will tell future recruits that DC has no long-term contract at URI. We cannot let it get to that or the program will falter. DC may have been a risk when hired, but no longer. I have no problem living with DC for 5 more years. The longer we take to extend him, the more he will be planning to move on. I want him totally focused on the future of our program and not distracted by looking for a new job. I buy low and sell highm and now is the time to buy.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago Dave's staff is not up to par with the top programs in our conference. He is wearing too many hats. Kevin Sutton has experience and his niche seems to be player development. Having two young guys cutting their teeth filling out the staff is not ideal. T.J is beloved and bleeds Keaney Blue but he is 27 and has very little experience. On most staffs he would still be in a Player Development role or Operational role. Austin Carroll is here because of Dad?

It's my opinion he needs a veteran X and O guy who is battle tested and full of experience. The other position maybe someone with strong NYC/PHILLY or New England roots. Someone like Preston Murphy would be Ideal. I know that will probably never happen but I can dream. Hell we should have hired Tyson to work with our guards, I'm sure he would have made an impact with our turnover issues.
Can’t hire a quality staff with the pennies in that pool. I can’t remember the amount but it was LOW.

DH caught a steal when he brought Cox in at the rate he did because he was coming off the Rutgers job.

Top guys are moving to better destinations. Guys that get canned, get canned for a reason. Lower tier guys are what they are...have to put more money into the program. If they were gonna pay DH 2mil, they can bump the assistant pool up a couple hundred grand.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago DCs seat isn’t even close to lukewarm at this point, for the people that make those decisions. It’s stupid to even be raising this conversation. This can rightfully be revisited at the end of next season.
It’s funny how there is a line drawn in the sand on this topic. You literally are on one side or the other.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Has anyone really said that Cox should be fired now? I see a lot of people arguing against it, but haven't noticed anyone saying that he should be. I may have missed it, I don't read every post these days.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Guess what? Being a D1 head coach is a very difficult job. So far DC has done fine. Let's see how this year plays out. He has a lot of talent to work with for the next few years. If you ask me, Hurley jumped ship not only for the $ but he knew his team had peaked as far as talent, so he left when it was best for him across the board. I don't think he would have done any better than DC post EC/Martin/Terrell and crew up until this point. This year has been rocky but I would give DC time. I believe in him.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago Has anyone really said that Cox should be fired now? I see a lot of people arguing against it, but haven't noticed anyone saying that he should be. I may have missed it, I don't read every post these days.
I haven't either. At worst there are some that think he is very likely not the answer.
0 x