Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I guess Calipari has no problem sitting down under-performing players that he recruited to UK.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Kentucky sucks this year. It’s embarrassing for a program that has top rated recruits.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I guess Calipari has no problem sitting down under-performing players that he recruited to UK.
Not at all. Clark was #10 ESPN and Boston was #7. Both are playing well below expectations. Clark’s shooting has been bad - even with FTs. Both bad on 3’s.

Opening up playing time minutes for others.

Florida game Saturday is a big one.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I guess Calipari has no problem sitting down under-performing players that he recruited to UK.
Wait coaches can do that!?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yup and some on this board thought Toppin wouldn’t be starting at URI , I disagree
Forget starting. People on here said he wasn't a big loss and would be at the bottom of our rotation this year... :lol:
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Yup and some on this board thought Toppin wouldn’t be starting at URI , I disagree
Forget starting. People on here said he wasn't a big loss and would be at the bottom of our rotation this year... :lol:
He’s averaging 14 minutes a game, 4 points and 3 rebounds on the worst Kentucky team in decades

I’m not here to say he isn’t an okay player or wouldn’t contribute at all on the A-10 level but people are on here are acting like he leads Kentucky in scoring
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
He’s averaging 14 minutes a game, 4 points and 3 rebounds on the worst Kentucky team in decades

I’m not here to say he isn’t an okay player or wouldn’t contribute at all on the A-10 level but people are on here are acting like he leads Kentucky in scoring
No they are not acting like he leads Kentucky in scoring.
But plenty of people did not believe he would ever see much playing time at Kentucky, even after sitting out this season.
He has surpassed what most expected and it is still early in the season.
Lot of SEC and A10 games to go - makes College basketball so interesting.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

No they are not.
But plenty of people did not believe he would ever see playing time at Kentucky, even after sitting out this season.
He has far surpassed what most expected.
That’s because everyone on here is constantly salty (about our own program mind you). When the kid transfers up in competition to a perennial SEC favorite all anyone has to say is “bad decision kid you’ll never make an impact”.

NOW that he sees the court at all (again cause the team sucks) then consensus view here is wow “he’s the one who got away”

Pick a side.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No they are not.
But plenty of people did not believe he would ever see playing time at Kentucky, even after sitting out this season.
That’s because everyone on here is constantly salty (about our own program mind you). When the kid transfers up in competition to a perennial SEC favorite all anyone has to say is “bad decision kid you’ll never make an impact”.

NOW that he sees the court at all (again cause the team sucks) then consensus view here is wow “he’s the one who got away”

Pick a side.
Read back through the 17 pages.
I hated seeing Topping and Martin leave - still do. Some say this is the new normal with transfers. URI was the only team to lose two starters to transfer plus Long would have seen good minutes this year. Dayton, Richmond, St Bonaventure, St Louis - they did not lose any starters to transfer - never mind losing two like we did.
Toppin should have played more minutes - I have stated that often and been slammed for it but I'll stick by it. 18 mpg for a player of Toppin's potential is just not enough.
Same holds for Leggett - he definitely needs more playing time. Splitting minutes across 10 players has risks. Need to narrow down to 7, max 8 rotation or expect more roster changeover in March. It's nice to have depth, but very hard to keep 10 players splitting minutes all season long happy. Assistant and Head Coaches are not stupid. They will be in contact with Leggett if he continues to get fewer minutes than they can and will offer him with a transfer opportunity.

Toppin was a huge loss imho. Antwan Walker had taken Toppin under his wing so it was too bad the transfer occurred - they had a good relationship.. Good move by Toppin though even though I hated to see him go. My guess is he is starting before the season is over and Kentucky will turn it around. They just won 2 straight and in 2nd place in SEC. I disagree that this Kentucky team is the worst in decades - it is too early to make that assertion imho. The team is all freshmen and transfers - it takes time. Plenty of talent on that team - Calipari is an excellent coach - I'd let the season progress before passing too early judgement. Lot's of regular conference games and then the SEC Tournament - I'd put money on Kentucky making the NCAA Tournament this season. May not look that way now but give Calipari a month.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I agree with Ramster. I hated seeing both Toppin and Martin go. Long as well. I think all three would have seen significant minutes here this season (obviously Martin saw 30+ last season). And I agree that Toppin did deserve more minutes last year as well. Now I also think we did well in the transfer market to mitigate the losses and this would certainly be a different team if Long/Toppin/Martin had stayed. We probably wouldn't have had 5 transfers come in with the Mitchell twins, Carey, Betrand, and M. Martin, or at least some would be sitting, but Fatts to Toppin would have been great! I do think it is fair to say at the same time that we did improve overall with the replacements and at the same time we miss the players we lost. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

This is exactly why Toppin went to Kentucky. URI cannot replicate the exposure he will get at Kentucky. His numbers aren't going to blow you away at any point, so he won't jump off the page at you, but his play will speak for itself. And while I believe URI is a great place for players to develop, no one can argue that Kentucky is a better place.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

No they are not acting like he leads Kentucky in scoring.
But plenty of people did not believe he would ever see much playing time at Kentucky, even after sitting out this season.
He has surpassed what most expected and it is still early in the season.
Lot of SEC and A10 games to go - makes College basketball so interesting.
I was one of those people. Since Kentucky consistently brings in NBA level talent, I felt Toppin would be riding the bench. It doesn't change the fact that he was a huge loss and would have been one of the key pieces in his last three years here. Tyrese Martin was the biggest loss, but Toppin is a close second. We could really use his length and ability to finish around the hoop this season.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

No they are not.

Pick a side.
Read back through the 17 pages.
I hated seeing Topping and Martin leave - still do. Some say this is the new normal with transfers. URI was the only team to lose two starters to transfer plus Long would have seen good minutes this year. Dayton, Richmond, St Bonaventure, St Louis - they did not lose any starters to transfer - never mind losing two like we did.
Toppin should have played more minutes - I have stated that often and been slammed for it but I'll stick by it. 18 mpg for a player of Toppin's potential is just not enough.
Same holds for Leggett - he definitely needs more playing time. Splitting minutes across 10 players has risks. Need to narrow down to 7, max 8 rotation or expect more roster changeover in March. It's nice to have depth, but very hard to keep 10 players splitting minutes all season long happy. Assistant and Head Coaches are not stupid. They will be in contact with Leggett if he continues to get fewer minutes than they can and will offer him with a transfer opportunity.

Toppin was a huge loss imho. Antwan Walker had taken Toppin under his wing so it was too bad the transfer occurred - they had a good relationship.. Good move by Toppin though even though I hated to see him go. My guess is he is starting before the season is over and Kentucky will turn it around. They just won 2 straight and in 2nd place in SEC. I disagree that this Kentucky team is the worst in decades - it is too early to make that assertion imho. The team is all freshmen and transfers - it takes time. Plenty of talent on that team - Calipari is an excellent coach - I'd let the season progress before passing too early judgement. Lot's of regular conference games and then the SEC Tournament - I'd put money on Kentucky making the NCAA Tournament this season. May not look that way now but give Calipari a month.
Ish Leggett can arguably be the face of the program going forward into next season, he's a tough, gritty, high IQ max effort player. If Cox is ever to a point where he is discussing transfer opportunities with Leggett then we have much bigger issues to address.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

It's interesting that Toppin doesn't attempt 3's anymore. He was supposedly the better shooter of the brothers. I guess not.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Again, Toppin is playing solid I won’t take that away from him. But him “needing more playing time”, or “impressing Kentucky fans” should tell you more about how bad they are this year than anything
You think we're better than Kentucky? Please say yes so I can laugh my ass off at you.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Wait coaches can do that!?
Some can. Others just choose the random timeout route instead...
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Again, Toppin is playing solid I won’t take that away from him. But him “needing more playing time”, or “impressing Kentucky fans” should tell you more about how bad they are this year than anything
You think we're better than Kentucky? Please say yes so I can laugh my ass off at you.
They lost to Richmond by 12 (at home), we lost by 7 (away).

College basketball is weird. I have no idea who’s better. But I think there’s an argument to made that it would be a close game
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

College basketball is weird. I have no idea who’s better. But I think there’s an argument to made that it would be a close game
I have an idea who's better.

Kentucky.

By a mile.
3 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Put Toppin and Tyrese in our starting lineup with Fatts and our record is much better than what it is now
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin quotes from the Auburn loss Saturday

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college ... 61570.html
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can’t we just house all former player info in that same thread instead of multiple threads updated every game Tyrese or Jacob play. Just a thought.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched some of that Kentucky Auburn game yesterday , Jacob definitely has a bright future if he keeps putting in the work
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

I have an idea who's better.

Kentucky.

By a mile.
Actually no. They really aren't very good. They are by no means a mile better than us at all and we could beat them.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Obviously Kentucky is a better program. I do think URI would beat them pretty good this year. I have watched a couple Kentucky games and Toppin isn’t very good. He’s like the 6th best player on the 148th best team. Kentucky is terrible.

Martin looks like the same guy he has always been (I have also caught a bunch of UConn games). Martin is a big piece of what UConn is doing and having success but from my eye he looks like his game is the same. He thrives rebounding and can muscle ppl at the rim. He still can’t really play defense, dribble, shoot from deep and is prone to turnovers.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago Obviously Kentucky is a better program. I do think URI would beat them pretty good this year. I have watched a couple Kentucky games and Toppin isn’t very good. He’s like the 6th best player on the 148th best team. Kentucky is terrible.

Martin looks like the same guy he has always been (I have also caught a bunch of UConn games). Martin is a big piece of what UConn is doing and having success but from my eye he looks like his game is the same. He thrives rebounding and can muscle ppl at the rim. He still can’t really play defense, dribble, shoot from deep and is prone to turnovers.

We would beat Kentucky pretty good this year?

The team that should have lost at home to winless St Joes?

No matter the season, people will also stick to their Keaney Blue bias, no matter what the evidence says.

Also, all Tyrese is doing is shooting 46% from 3 and leading the team in three point percentage. Averaging 1.6 turnovers per game. But hey, I guess he can’t really shoot it from deep and is prone to so many turnovers!

Get a clue.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also think we would not beat Kentucky pretty good this year actually I think they beat us
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago Obviously Kentucky is a better program. I do think URI would beat them pretty good this year. I have watched a couple Kentucky games and Toppin isn’t very good. He’s like the 6th best player on the 148th best team. Kentucky is terrible.

No matter the season, people will also stick to their Keaney Blue bias, no matter what the evidence says.

Also, all Tyrese is doing is shooting 46% from 3 and leading the team in three point percentage. Averaging 1.6 turnovers per game. But hey, I guess he can’t really shoot it from deep and is prone to so many turnovers!

Get a clue.
This is an idiotic argument. Who knows if we would beat Uk, they are a mess but anything can happen. How we did vs St Joe’s has little to do with how we would perform vs Kentucky. But serious question, are you surprised that on a URI message board that there are folks with Rhody blinders? Is this your first day on the interwebs? You seem hell bent on arguing with other fans or trying to pat yourself on the back, it’s bizarre.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seems like Hurley has put him in a scheme that fits him better.

Here he hung around the perimeter way too much jacking up rainbows. Hurley has him using his athleticism down low more and its maximizing his potential.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have no issue with how we used Tyrese. We needed his perimeter offense to open the paint. UCONN is using his talent that best helps the team.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Here he hung around the perimeter way too much jacking up rainbows. Hurley has him using his athleticism down low more and its maximizing his potential.
Agree with this. Ty is a great rebounder and a good outside shooter. Play players to their strengths and all will work out.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Get a clue.
This is an idiotic argument. Who knows if we would beat Uk, they are a mess but anything can happen. How we did vs St Joe’s has little to do with how we would perform vs Kentucky. But serious question, are you surprised that on a URI message board that there are folks with Rhody blinders? Is this your first day on the interwebs? You seem hell bent on arguing with other fans or trying to pat yourself on the back, it’s bizarre.

Arguing against stone cold facts/statistics make people look extremely clueless.

Who in their right mind can honestly say Tyrese can’t shoot it from deep and is prone to turnovers when he’s shooting 46% from 3 and leading the team? And only averaging 1.6 turnovers a game?

It’s one thing to have bias’, but arguing against 100% factual information makes people look like fools.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

"Arguing against stone cold facts/statistics make people look extremely clueless.

Who in their right mind can honestly say Tyrese can’t shoot it from deep and is prone to turnovers when he’s shooting 46% from 3 and leading the team? And only averaging 1.6 turnovers a game?

It’s one thing to have bias’, but arguing against 100% factual information makes people look like fools."

I think you make very big mistake in calling people fools and clueless when your "Tyrese facts" are based on his performance in only seven games as opposed to his 60 games at URI. (a sort of Trumpy look at things). Also average stats are just than, average, and individual game analysis and summation provides a deeper look at performance. For example Tyrese stats look good because he performed well in three BE games, all of which came against teams in the bottom of the BE. In the two games against the BE upper rung, not so good. Again, too small a sample to say same old, same old Tyrese. Maybe you will end up being right that Tyrese has turned a corner at UConn under Hurley, but I would give it more time before making that assessment.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago "Arguing against stone cold facts/statistics make people look extremely clueless.

It’s one thing to have bias’, but arguing against 100% factual information makes people look like fools."

I think you make very big mistake in calling people fools and clueless when your "Tyrese facts" are based on his performance in only seven games as opposed to his 60 games at URI. (a sort of Trumpy look at things). Also average stats are just than, average, and individual game analysis and summation provides a deeper look at performance. For example Tyrese stats look good because he performed well in three BE games, all of which came against teams in the bottom of the BE. In the two games against the BE upper rung, not so good. Again, too small a sample to say same old, same old Tyrese. Maybe you will end up being right that Tyrese has turned a corner at UConn under Hurley, but I would give it more time before making that assessment.
Did you just really put politics into a discussion on Tyrese Martin? Man, the shit going on on this country amazes me. Don't worry, the BIden look on basketball will be just like Cox lately. Everyone plays equal amount of minutes.
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Get a clue.

Arguing against stone cold facts/statistics make people look extremely clueless.

It’s one thing to have bias’, but arguing against 100% factual information makes people look like fools.
Okay I have to jump in here because your argument is weak. In two full seasons at URI Martin shot 31% from deep, and that was based on 243 total 3PT attempts. That’s a large sample size. Yes, he’s shooting 46% from deep this season, but do you know how many 3PT attempts he’s made? 13. So let’s stop acting like he’s Jimmy Baron. Will he make a few threes here and there? Sure. But he’s certainly not someone I would consider to be a good 3PT shooter. I watched every minute that he played in a URI uniform and he bricked more threes than I care to remember.

Martin is a great rebounder. In fact for his size I would consider his rebounding skills to be elite. Always in good position, knows how to box out effectively, not afraid to bang down low with the big boys. Put backs off offensive rebounds is his bread and butter. Aside from that? He’s an average player to me. Not very fast, not a great passer, below average defensively, and he had the uncanny ability to always turn the ball over at the most critical point in every game it seemed like. And this isn’t sour grapes, I was saying the same things about him when he was here. Not to mention he never showed a lick of emotion on the court. I understand that acting like a cheerleader doesn’t equate to good basketball, but at least pretend that you have a pulse. His body language was always terrible. Seemed totally disinterested most of the time.

Bottom line is that he’s no longer here, so who really cares how well or how poorly he’s playing? I’ll focus on the guys in the Rhody uniform instead.
2 x
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

UCONN just lost a game they lead for 35 min poor coaching at end of game. Martin made a 3 with 45 sec to get within 1 then missed 2 free throws with 15 sec for the eventual loss. As some have said here he was a beast on the O glass and had 6 steals.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I saw most of the game that was a key 3 he hit but you can’t miss 2 FTs when down 1 late
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Get a clue.
I read your comment and thought I must have said something out of whack. I said I think that uri would beat Kentucky, who is 4-8. I also said Martin looks like his old self. Not very controversial. Please take into account that I watched both teams from the position of having bet on them to win. So I wasn’t exactly rooting against them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Jacob and Tyrese knew what they were doing leaving here.

Lack of coaching.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago

Get a clue.
I read your comment and thought I must have said something out of whack. I said I think that uri would beat Kentucky, who is 4-8. I also said Martin looks like his old self. Not very controversial. Please take into account that I watched both teams from the position of having bet on them to win. So I wasn’t exactly rooting against them.

Still think we could beat them pretty good?

Clueless.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Jacob and Tyrese knew what they were doing leaving here.

Lack of coaching.
There are two players that have been here all three years of the Cox era. How has Fatts improved since his sophomore year? How has Harris improved since he got on campus?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We'll see who transfers out after this season, among those who can.

If Leggett leaves, Cox should go with him.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We'll see who transfers out after this season, among those who can.

If Leggett leaves, Cox should go with him.
I don’t think Leggett leaves. He knows Fatts will be gone and have ample playing time.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Wait...you mean a coach can assess a players abilities and use him in spots to maximize his potential to benefit the team???

I thought they just babysat the kids and let them do whatever they wanted. This is a huge breakthrough.

You think DC knows?
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I be shocked if Ish leaves if he does we are in a world of hurt
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

At this point nothing shocks me in college basketball. Anything can happen, expect the unexpected.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Get a clue.

Clueless.
I think Kentucky is 4-9 now 👀
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Clueless.
They lost at 8-4 Georgia at the buzzer, we lost to 3-5 Duquesne without their best player.

If this is a troll job, it's a good one.

If you're actually serious, and think we would have any sort of chance against Kentucky, you're just another one added to the list of people with ridiculous Keaney Blue Blinders on.
0 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Clueless.
They lost at 8-4 Georgia at the buzzer, we lost to 3-5 Duquesne without their best player.

If this is a troll job, it's a good one.

If you're actually serious, and think we would have any sort of chance against Kentucky, you're just another one added to the list of people with ridiculous Keaney Blue Blinders on.
i dont agree on a lot of things with Rhody15, but he's spot on here. The way Rhody is playing now, we would be the Fordham of the SEC. Yes, is Kentucky having a shitty year, of course its pretty obvious...but we would get run outta the gym
0 x