Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by reef »

2-4 today from distance we will take it . 23 points and 13-14 line great job Fatts
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago Fatts shoots like 31 footers. He’s not exactly trying to simplify the game and do better. He’s more chucking from even farther out.

I know ppl don’t like Harris here but I would prefer that he started.
Start over who?
What would your starting line up be?
Over Mitchell. Harris played more minutes than walker and Mitchell combined against VCU. He just stays locked in on the game longer than Mitchell. I think Mitchell will get it and realize that every play matters and he has to stay focused. But Harris is already there and less likely to give away stuff.

I like Mitchell and believe he will have a better career here than my guy Harris. But Harris isn’t going to check out for a play or stretch of time that helps the other team right now.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago Fatts shoots like 31 footers. He’s not exactly trying to simplify the game and do better. He’s more chucking from even farther out.

Start over who?
Over Mitchell. Harris played more minutes than walker and Mitchell combined against VCU. He just stays locked in on the game longer than Mitchell. I think Mitchell will get it and realize that every play matters and he has to stay focused. But Harris is already there and less likely to give away stuff.

I like Mitchell and believe he will have a better career here than my guy Harris. But Harris isn’t going to check out for a play or stretch of time that helps the other team right now.
This is a WILD take. I don’t even know where to start.
0 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Start over who?

I think we're better off with Mitchell. If anything I would like to see a smaller lineup with Martin at the four.

As for Fatts he just has to play his game and let the chips fall where they may. He played very well yesterday.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wouldn’t change the lineup and would stick with Mitchell starting but it’s hardly a wild take to say the guy averaging 5ppg and 4rpg should start over the guy averaging 6ppg and 4rpg. It’s not like he’s saying start Harris over Tre Mitchell.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fatts had 8 rebounds in the previous game and 9 rebounds yesterday. I think he needs to start at center.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Big guys help teams out in ways other then what the stat sheet says. How many times has Mitchell altered shots or deflected rebounds to teammates ect. He’s been solid.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No doubt, he’s a developing presence. Has to continue to get better at playing without fouling and to keep his emotions in check. High upside for both twins.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts is slowly looking like his old self.

Watched highlights of the VCU game last year at the Ryan Center and Fatts looks like a different person out there compared to this year. Way more explosive! Hard to tell when he is still the fastest guy on the court, but I was shocked to see the difference from now and then.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Fatts’ ballhandling was critical yesterday. I don’t trust any of the other guards to bring the ball up when facing pressure defense.
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Start over who?

Harris has been improving but you stick with Mitchell. He alters shots and has more of a presence. Either way they are both getting minutes so why change. Seems like Harris is comfortable coming off the bench and is improving with his current role so stick with it.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes I’ll give credit where credit is due, Harris hasn’t stuck out these last few games, he’s just been there (which isn’t a bad thing).

Not great, not awful.

He’s been getting his 5 points and 5 rebounds, with minimal awful mistakes (although that floater he had yesterday from 8 feet out that went over the hoop was brutal).

Keep doing what he’s doing.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would keep it the same but if JH were to go to starter I would replace him with Twan and not MM
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I would keep it the same but if JH were to go to starter I would replace him with Twan and not MM
That would never happen. JH and MM are your two true bigs
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Fatts over Tre? I like it.

https://theathletic.com/2316906/2021/01 ... ed_article

Who is the best college basketball player in New England? — Matthew

... Second place goes to David Duke at Providence (20.2 points, 6.0 boards and 4.4 assists) with Rhode Island’s Fatts Russell (20.0 points, 3.8 assists, 4.3 rebounds) pulling in third.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Start over who?

Seawright,
Harris came in after just 3 minutes 20 seconds when Walker picked up his 2nd foul. Cox played Mitchell and Walker together against the tough VCU defense that finished with 11 blocked shots.
But we outrebounded VCU by an impressive 11 boards

Walker only played 7 minutes finished with 4 fouls
Mitchell played only 17 minutes finished with 4 fouls

Harris played 25 minutes with only 2 fouls - must be pleasing to Cox

Martin played 28 minutes picking up some of Walkers minutes and playing tough defense

Harris may yet get back in the starting line up - lot of games to be played yet.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago Fatts over Tre? I like it.

... Second place goes to David Duke at Providence (20.2 points, 6.0 boards and 4.4 assists) with Rhode Island’s Fatts Russell (20.0 points, 3.8 assists, 4.3 rebounds) pulling in third.
Peter Kiss might be playing better than any of them.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Duke is playing at a borderline All American level up to this point.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Our top 3FG 40% club kept up their strong performance going 5-8 collectively:
  • Sheppard went 2-4 now 19-43 = 44.2%
  • Johnson went 1-1 now 15-34 = 44.1%
  • Leggett didn’t have an attempt 3-7 = 42.9%
  • Betrand went 2-3 upped to 7-17 = 41.2% to join the club
Pulled this from the VCU thread.

Fatts has taken 55 3 point shots this year, averaging almost 5 per game. He's shooting 20% - which we all agree is less than normal - but not much.

He's a career 28% 3 point shooter.

He's had years of 29%, 22%, 35%, and now 20%.

If 3-4 of those 5 attempts get spread out to the other shooters, that would be fantastic. It's clear there are other shooters on this team who need to get some of those attempts.

I agree Fatts needs to shoot so the defense has to play the shot, but 1-2 times would be a max unless one drops for me. Too many wasted possessions from a low percentage shooter.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Duke is playing at a borderline All American level up to this point.
Yeah, I don't watch them.
1 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Our top 3FG 40% club kept up their strong performance going 5-8 collectively:
  • Sheppard went 2-4 now 19-43 = 44.2%
  • Johnson went 1-1 now 15-34 = 44.1%
  • Leggett didn’t have an attempt 3-7 = 42.9%
  • Betrand went 2-3 upped to 7-17 = 41.2% to join the club
Pulled this from the VCU thread.

Fatts has taken 55 3 point shots this year, averaging almost 5 per game. He's shooting 20% - which we all agree is less than normal - but not much.

He's a career 28% 3 point shooter.

He's had years of 29%, 22%, 35%, and now 20%.

If 3-4 of those 5 attempts get spread out to the other shooters, that would be fantastic. It's clear there are other shooters on this team who need to get some of those attempts.

I agree Fatts needs to shoot so the defense has to play the shot, but 1-2 times would be a max unless one drops for me. Too many wasted possessions from a low percentage shooter.

Unless you’re knockdown, 3pt attempts should be on average around 3 a game. Averaging 5 attempts is excessive for anyone with those percentages. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, is love to see how many of those 3’s were up against the shot clock. Makes it tougher to shoot a great percentage, when you get bad looks most of the time. Albeit, some are self created. But, it’s on the coach to find creative ways to get these other guys more “clean” looks, not the player. It is the players job to execute those designs, drawn up by the coach. Fatts is a willing passer. I’m not sure anyone would overly disagree with that.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you want to improve your 3P%, implement Billy Lange's offensive philosophy. Good looks lead to better success. You need to recruit the right players to use this philosophy.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago WHO IS THE FALCON ? First of all , unlike many on this board , I actually graduated from URI ( 1967 ) before most of you were even born ! I have seen how NEGATIVITY by this state esp. many CRIERS ,as in PC people , has affected URI over the past 6 decades ! NOW many on this Forum are doing the same thing to our basketball program with their mental masturbation . " Opinions are like a__holes everybody has one " . As Joe Friday use to say in the tv show Dragnet , " Just the facts mam " !! In the future if this Forum survives how about sticking to the FACTS insread of letting them get in the way of your argument . GO FATTS AND GO RHODY !!!!!

I "actually" graduated from URI also, and yes, you graduated WELL before I was born. I can't help myself for being a millennial. The avocado toast and calling my mommy at every minor inconvenience has turned me into quite the successful adult.

I hate Pee Cee, please never call me a CRIER.

Mental masturbation? Is that like me thinking of my man in the middle of a weekday? I'm confused.

I agree with you, Fatts is awesome.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Peter Kiss? OMG that may be one of the funniest names I've ever read in my entire life. hahahaha
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago

Peter Kiss? OMG that may be one of the funniest names I've ever read in my entire life. hahahaha
Could be me or PeteRI ya never know...
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Mitchell played good earlier I thought 🤔🤔
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts did not play well at all let’s hope he bounces back v GMU
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I changed my signature so Fatts will snap out of it. 😐
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I changed my signature so Fatts will snap out of it. 😐
Could you change it to “don’t shoot” because he shouldn’t.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good point about Fatts.

He has the green light to do whatever he wants. Cox sold his soul to him, to keep him here.

Does anyone think Hurley would tolerate 20 turnovers a game?

Does anyone think that DH would let Fatts shoot 3's all he wants, being by far the worst 3 pt. shooter?

We would have 2 or 3 more wins with him as coach...and yes I was critical of him at times, but he's a damn sight better than who we've got now.

I really hope Thorr is starting to wake up and smell the flowers about a coaching change, sooner rather than later.

The culture that Dan had developed here is gone. And it's becoming more and more obvious that it's not coming back anytime soon.

We finally had a coach that was going to take us somewhere...and now we are back to the same old mediocrity.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Good point about Fatts.

He has the green light to do whatever he wants. Cox sold his soul to him, to keep him here.

Does anyone think that DH would let Fatts shoot 3's all he wants, being by far the worst 3 pt. shooter?

We would have 2 or 3 more wins with him as coach...and yes I was critical of him at times, but he's a damn sight better than who we've got now.

I really hope Thorr is starting to wake up and smell the flowers about a coaching change, sooner rather than later.

The culture that Dan had developed here is gone. And it's becoming more and more obvious that it's not coming back anytime soon.

We finally had a coach that was going to take us somewhere...and now we are back to the same old mediocrity.
Not sure 78" what you meant by sooner, how long?
There are issues and I do get critical about Cox, but this probably isn't the right season to make these calls.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

As posted in the pain thread, if Fatts had taken 0 shots this year we would move from a 33% 3pt shooting team to a 38% team. 179th in the country to 39th.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I can think of at least 2 three pointers in the last few games that Fatts banked in. Essentially raising his percentage with shots that missed his intended mark.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Start over who?

Yikes. Literally every word you said here is wrong (except saying Mitchell will have a better career). It was evident before the UMass game (but you're wearing Jermaine Harris blinders), and even more evident today.

There's still time to delete this.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Start over who?

Yikes. Literally every word you said here is wrong (except saying Mitchell will have a better career). It was evident before the UMass game (but you're wearing Jermaine Harris blinders), and even more evident today.

There's still time to delete this.
Wut.

Like seriously, is this a joke?

I watch Harris probably more than any other individual player on the floor, because so many people continue to defend him out of pity - and I literally want to double check to see if I am totally wrong and missing something.

Harris takes plays off all the time. Doesn't jump. Doesn't attack the ball. Also, he's out to lunch most of the time he's on the floor. My own mother, who I constantly need to explain basketball to during the games, says "he's got the biggest head of hair so it's pretty easy to see when he's not watching where the ball is on defense." If she can recognize that, it's obvious.

Yeah, he makes a great athletic layup sometimes. For whatever reason, people will say "wow look at Harris you idiots you don't know what you're talking about" and conveniently ignore a +/- that in most games is a double digit negative.

Both Mitchells are well on their way to being the best front court that has ever played at URI. If Cox can keep them and Ish together, this team will be a legitimate force in the years to come because of those guys.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Falcon wrote: 3 years ago WHO IS THE FALCON ? First of all , unlike many on this board , I actually graduated from URI ( 1967 ) before most of you were even born ! I have seen how NEGATIVITY by this state esp. many CRIERS ,as in PC people , has affected URI over the past 6 decades ! NOW many on this Forum are doing the same thing to our basketball program with their mental masturbation . " Opinions are like a__holes everybody has one " . As Joe Friday use to say in the tv show Dragnet , " Just the facts mam " !! In the future if this Forum survives how about sticking to the FACTS insread of letting them get in the way of your argument . GO FATTS AND GO RHODY !!!!!
You were there, so tell us — what was the UConn rivalry like in the mid-60s?
BUMP

Still waiting for an answer
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

[quote="Blue Man" post_id=469152 time=

Both Mitchells are well on their way to being the best front court that has ever played at URI. If Cox can keep them and Ish together, this team will be a legitimate force in the years to come because of those guys.
[/quote]

...if there’s a coaching staff in place to get the best out of them.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago [quote="Blue Man" post_id=469152 time=

[/quote]

Really if Cox can get his guards to stop turning the ball over they'll dominate accordingly.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Really if Cox can get his guards to stop turning the ball over they'll dominate accordingly.
[/quote]

Then that would mean Cox would need to change his entire offensive philosophy and keep the ball in one PG's hands instead of playing "whoever has the ball is the PG" like we all used to play in middle school.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Yet, 13 games in, and it almost looks like Carey intentionally finds a cluster of defenders to try and dribble through. Like a moth to a flame with similar success.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Then that would mean Cox would need to change his entire offensive philosophy and keep the ball in one PG's hands instead of playing "whoever has the ball is the PG" like we all used to play in middle school.
[/quote]

We certainly need the order that could bring. Just some of the turnovers have nothing to do with that and are just mental. Cox running this offense with guys who have a propensity to commit turnovers.
1 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Good point about Fatts.

DC has his obvious strengths (recruiting, mentoring, ambassador of the university etc.) He also has weaknesses (x's and o's, in game mgmt etc.) .....we ALL have our own weaknesses.

What I don't get is why he doesn't surround himself with people to help him in those areas. Either he doesn't want help or he's in denial. WTF does Sutton do??? We're better off with 200 lbs of towels on the bench.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You would think that with the expertise of the assistants, that they would have some influence on Cox.

Doesn't look like it from my view.

Leggett imo will be the primary ball handler next season, if he stays.

Or he should be. You never know by what we've seen so far, though.

Fundamentals....the mark of a good coach. Sorely lacking here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are getting [sad to say] what we are paying for.

Coaching on a budget, a low one.

And therein lies a problem.

Thorr knows, that the next coach and his staff, are going to cost a LOT more than the current one, which might make him especially in the current climate, reluctant to pull the plug on Cox any time soon.

That's if he and URI are truly serious about their expectations for the program. We need an experienced and proven winner at our level or just below.

No more "experiments" on the cheap, please.
3 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

[/quote]

This statement partly validates my point. The current staff is not getting the best out of these players. Change the ball handler. Change the system. Do something because this (whatever THIS is) isn’t working.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago As posted in the pain thread, if Fatts had taken 0 shots this year we would move from a 33% 3pt shooting team to a 38% team. 179th in the country to 39th.
Yep. We would move from 33.5% to 37.8% for an increase of 4.3%

Russell is also struggling nightly with overall FG%

If Fatts took Zero Overall FG Shots this year we would move from 46% to 49.9% as a team for an increase of 3.9%
URI would move from 102nd in the country to 25th!!

Problem is not only his poor shooting percentage but that he is taking the most shots on the team.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here’s a view of Russell from the competition Umass message board

Re: Game 7, 2020-21: Rhode Island (1/13)
Post Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:30 am

What's all this talk about being undermanned? We had 9 players in the game, and 7 getting double-digit minutes. I think a 7-8 man rotation is sort of where things should be. Preston has been out all year, and we lost Dominguez, who doesn't look comfortable at all out there, and Cairo. Not having Cairo out there was unfortunate, but they still had all their big guns and plenty of rotational guys.

I'll give McCall credit for the second straight game. They played good defense for the first 30ish minutes and had a good game plan to stop Fatts. Things fell apart toward the end when Tre had to leave the game, but they gutted it out and played tough ball. To win a rivalry game like this with Tre limited due to foul trouble and atrocious 3-pt shooting is a good sign.

I didn't know much about Fatts Russell's game, but it sounded like he was a volume scorer, not an efficient one. Maybe it was our defense, but I don't know, I wasn't impressed. He puts up a lot of wild shots praying for the foul call and doesn't seem to have a solid outside shot. Yesterday was only a snapshot of course, but he was only 3-13 FG and a lot of those were ugly attempts.

On to Fordham!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Here’s a view of Russell from the competition Umass message board

What's all this talk about being undermanned? We had 9 players in the game, and 7 getting double-digit minutes. I think a 7-8 man rotation is sort of where things should be. Preston has been out all year, and we lost Dominguez, who doesn't look comfortable at all out there, and Cairo. Not having Cairo out there was unfortunate, but they still had all their big guns and plenty of rotational guys.

I'll give McCall credit for the second straight game. They played good defense for the first 30ish minutes and had a good game plan to stop Fatts. Things fell apart toward the end when Tre had to leave the game, but they gutted it out and played tough ball. To win a rivalry game like this with Tre limited due to foul trouble and atrocious 3-pt shooting is a good sign.

I didn't know much about Fatts Russell's game, but it sounded like he was a volume scorer, not an efficient one. Maybe it was our defense, but I don't know, I wasn't impressed. He puts up a lot of wild shots praying for the foul call and doesn't seem to have a solid outside shot. Yesterday was only a snapshot of course, but he was only 3-13 FG and a lot of those were ugly attempts.

On to Fordham!
This person should watch more of our games, and he would see that Fatts is like this almost every game.

Cox lets his worst shooter take the most shots per game. with most of those shots being very low percentage ones.

We will be a better TEAM next season without Fatts, by default imo.

Maybe we will even have more than the pathetically low number of assists per game we're getting now.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So you think when our leading assist guy graduates we will have more assists? How does that work exactly? Nothing Fatts does is preventing Shep, Ish or anyone to put up better assist numbers. Fatts takes bad shots, his FG% is horrible right now, he’s a spark plug type player that is streaky. Always has been always will be. He’s won us games on his own. While I think there is a path to a more efficient team when Fatts leaves you don’t necessarily see a ton of guys you are ready to entrust the ball handling to. Nor anyone you can give the ball to in late shot clock situations and have at least a chance to get a shot off.
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Here’s a view of Russell from the competition Umass message board

On to Fordham!
This person should watch more of our games, and he would see that Fatts is like this almost every game.

Cox lets his worst shooter take the most shots per game. with most of those shots being very low percentage ones.

We will be a better TEAM next season without Fatts, by default imo.

Maybe we will even have more than the pathetically low number of assists per game we're getting now.
Fatts has not been good at all this season. Hopefully that can turn around down the stretch. But, I agree with a poster before that said “nobody” has offered evidence that they can take over the reigns and be better than what he offers today. Ish has shown he can be a spark off the bench. But, it’s a whole different thing o be “the guy” with the ball in your hands constantly. And it gets crazy after him, because the other guys DO NOT possess the ability to run a team. Next year does not have present brighter horizons, in regards to guard play. Without some serious development taking place.
0 x