Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by eli#10 »

Will you guys stop posting about Fatts and this subject. The poor guy needs to get healthy before this discussion should go forward. As he is he should still get at least 30 minutes per game.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup and I want to see him driving to the basket more and setting up his teammates and getting himself to the line
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Falcon wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man , May I I remind you that Fatts is currently on 2 of the most prestigious NCAA watch lists because of his achievements over the past three seasons at URi !!!
I understand that. I still don’t get how those lists have directly translated to us winning games.

I love Fatts. He is capable of being our best player. But 3 and a half years into his career, it’s not like he has “won” us more than a handful of games. Freshman year he had the PC breakout game, he had the NCAA steal and shot against Trey Young. Sophomore year he had the Harvard shot and the 41 points at St Joes.

He is the ultimate peaks and valleys type player, but through this point his valleys last significantly longer than his peaks.

Unfortunately I can remember far more games that his selfish hero ball has cost us games.

He is too important to this team’s success to try to be anything other than himself - meaning he needs to act as a point guard and not try to be LeBron or Iverson. He’s not either of those guys; he’s Fatts.

The rest of this year I would just love to see him lean into being a point guard rather than trying to do everything. That’s the only chance we have of being good.
It’s amazing how short the memory of FANS are....

PC game freshman yr...
St Joe’s game in A-10 tourney freshman yr...
Oklahoma game in NCAA tourney freshman yr...
St Joe’s game @ St Joe’s sophomore year....
Dayton game @Dayton sophomore year...
Umass game at home sophomore year...
WVU game sophomore yr...
Alabama game junior yr...
PC game junior yr...
VCU game junior yr...
Davidson game at home junior year
St Joe’s game @St Joe’s junior yr...

And those are just some of the games I could recollect from the previous 3 seasons, of games where his contributions CLEARLY were the difference in the W’s. That’s more than a handful. Peaks and valley’s, TRUE! Hate em or love, TRUE!!! But, don’t disrespect the guy. Damn....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
Falcon wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man , May I I remind you that Fatts is currently on 2 of the most prestigious NCAA watch lists because of his achievements over the past three seasons at URi !!!
I understand that. I still don’t get how those lists have directly translated to us winning games.

I love Fatts. He is capable of being our best player. But 3 and a half years into his career, it’s not like he has “won” us more than a handful of games. Freshman year he had the PC breakout game, he had the NCAA steal and shot against Trey Young. Sophomore year he had the Harvard shot and the 41 points at St Joes.

He is the ultimate peaks and valleys type player, but through this point his valleys last significantly longer than his peaks.

Unfortunately I can remember far more games that his selfish hero ball has cost us games.

He is too important to this team’s success to try to be anything other than himself - meaning he needs to act as a point guard and not try to be LeBron or Iverson. He’s not either of those guys; he’s Fatts.

The rest of this year I would just love to see him lean into being a point guard rather than trying to do everything. That’s the only chance we have of being good.

PC game freshman yr...
WVU game sophomore yr...
PC game junior yr...
VCU game junior yr...

And those are just some of the games I could recollect from the previous 3 seasons, of games where his contributions CLEARLY were the difference in the W’s. That’s more than a handful. Peaks and valley’s, TRUE! Hate em or love, TRUE!!! But, don’t disrespect the guy. Damn....
12 games out of 60. You have to come up with more than this.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

PC game freshman yr...
WVU game sophomore yr...
PC game junior yr...
VCU game junior yr...

He had a stretch in the non conference into our 10 game win streak where he was the man. Everything else has been mostly messy with a few highlights in between.
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

PC game freshman yr...
WVU game sophomore yr...
PC game junior yr...
VCU game junior yr...

WHAT??? 12 out of 60 games of someone being PERSONALLY responsible, for helping a team get to the winners circle, isn’t enough?? And it’s probably more than that, because I just rattled shit of the top of my head. What the fuck does he have to do?? There has been games where he’s been great and they and up short. Did put those on here cause either you won, or you didn’t. Name another guy in the last 4 years at URI, who’s not named Jared Terrell, who’s been PERSONALLY responsible for 12 wins out of 60 games....U CAN’T!! Because that person doesn’t exist. You people are crazy...this is URI, not UNC or KU!! WTF
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Isn't this argument similar to which coach won the most games in URI History? Probably the same guy who coached the most losing games. Basketball is a team sport in which individual accomplishments are heavily influenced by the quality of your opponents and who you have for teammates. Don't expect to be an all-time assist leader if your teammates cannot make a shot. If one player takes all the shots that can win games expect him to lead the team in game winning shots. Some times these self-evident facts are overlooked to support or refute a conclusion. That said, I would rather see my team shoot an ill-advised trey than commit a TO. After all, it might go in or we might get the rebound. TOs are all bad.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC game freshman yr...
St Joe’s game in A-10 tourney freshman yr...18 min, 4-8 FG, 3-7 3Ps, 14 points
Oklahoma game in NCAA tourney freshman yr...21 min, 5-12 FG, 3-6 3Ps, 15 points
St Joe’s game @ St Joe’s sophomore year....42 min, 12-24 FG, 7-13 3Ps, 41 points
Dayton game @Dayton sophomore year...43 min, 9-20 FG, 4-9 3Ps, 23 points
Umass game at home sophomore year...33 min, 10-15 FG, 1-3 3Ps, 27 points
WVU game sophomore yr...37 min, 6-16 FG, 1-6 3Ps, 18 points
Alabama game junior yr...36 min, 8-18 FG, 1-4 3Ps, 22 points
PC game junior yr...36 min, 7-16 FG, 4-5 3Ps, 24 points
VCU game junior yr...(away) 36 min, 4-16 FG, 2-5 3Ps, 16 points, (home) 37 min, 6-15 FG, 2-6 3Ps, 30 points
Davidson game at home junior year 36 min, 10-16 FG, 3-5 3Ps, 26 points (came off bench after 1-12 FG at Richmond)
St Joe’s game @St Joe’s junior yr...37 min, 10-21 FG, 3-5 3Ps, 25 points

Minutes, FG, 3Ps and Points for these games
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

The NEGATIVITY ON THIS FORUM is so self destructive and includes inaccuracies and many downright LIES !!! Many of these posters are COMPLETE MORONS and come across like CRIERS in Rams' clothing . Please consider terminating the forum ASAP esp. for the future of URI Basketball . Unfortunately it no longer serves any useful purpose !!!!! PLEASE .
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago The NEGATIVITY ON THIS FORUM is so self destructive and includes inaccuracies and many downright LIES !!! Many of these posters are COMPLETE MORONS and come across like CRIERS in Rams' clothing . Please consider terminating the forum ASAP esp. for the future of URI Basketball . Unfortunately it no longer serves any useful purpose !!!!! PLEASE .
I’m disagree , this is the place to come for all things URI hoops which we all know and love baby !!
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I disagree too. We get some good inside scoops here before others.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago The NEGATIVITY ON THIS FORUM is so self destructive and includes inaccuracies and many downright LIES !!! Many of these posters are COMPLETE MORONS and come across like CRIERS in Rams' clothing . Please consider terminating the forum ASAP esp. for the future of URI Basketball . Unfortunately it no longer serves any useful purpose !!!!! PLEASE .
Who is this Falcon?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Who is this Falcon?
........who cares.......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Bad heel, both ankles hurt and balky hamstring. Other than that Fatts is 💯. 🙄

"Go to him. Ride him until the wheels fall off." - Coach Cox on Fatts

So as your line goes for all of your posts, it seems to be what has happened. Bad heel, both ankles hurt and a bad hamstring.

So what happens now?

Sit Fatts until all healed?
Reduce his playing time to allow healing?
Or just keep riding him until the wheels get even more damaged?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........quite a pickle for our coach.......and I guess this type scenario is what keeps coaches up at nite.......not say, stress levels high.......tuff balancing act......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. It is a tough situation. Not a clear answer.
Plus, Russell wants to play every minute, even when we are up by 25. Can’t blame him, so would I.
So Russell would want to play with the bad heal, bad ankles and bad hamstring.
What is best for him and what is best for the team?
Tough questions.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Cox feels that his play is not helping the team because of his current physical limitations then he must sit. Otherwise if he has the green light and can contribute he should be out there. The staff should of seen enough of his play during practice to make this determination.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago He needs to continue driving to the basket. I feel like he started the year off taking it to the hoop and has backed off a bit. He needs to get that game going again and take his 3s within the flow. Not sure if it is his injury preventing him from driving more but i think he needs to take it to the basket and get the other team in foul trouble. Hoping that playing St Joes might get him going emotionally.
Lack of driving to the hoop could be the result of the injury.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago He needs to continue driving to the basket. I feel like he started the year off taking it to the hoop and has backed off a bit. He needs to get that game going again and take his 3s within the flow. Not sure if it is his injury preventing him from driving more but i think he needs to take it to the basket and get the other team in foul trouble. Hoping that playing St Joes might get him going emotionally.
Lack of driving to the hoop could be the result of the injury.
I think that's definitely the case. His injuries have taken away his explosive moves to the hoop, The result is settling more often for an outside shot.
1 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

WHO IS THE FALCON ? First of all , unlike many on this board , I actually graduated from URI ( 1967 ) before most of you were even born ! I have seen how NEGATIVITY by this state esp. many CRIERS ,as in PC people , has affected URI over the past 6 decades ! NOW many on this Forum are doing the same thing to our basketball program with their mental masturbation . " Opinions are like a__holes everybody has one " . As Joe Friday use to say in the tv show Dragnet , " Just the facts mam " !! In the future if this Forum survives how about sticking to the FACTS insread of letting them get in the way of your argument . GO FATTS AND GO RHODY !!!!!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago WHO IS THE FALCON ? First of all , unlike many on this board , I actually graduated from URI ( 1967 ) before most of you were even born ! I have seen how NEGATIVITY by this state esp. many CRIERS ,as in PC people , has affected URI over the past 6 decades ! NOW many on this Forum are doing the same thing to our basketball program with their mental masturbation . " Opinions are like a__holes everybody has one " . As Joe Friday use to say in the tv show Dragnet , " Just the facts mam " !! In the future if this Forum survives how about sticking to the FACTS insread of letting them get in the way of your argument . GO FATTS AND GO RHODY !!!!!
FALCON USER STATISTICS

Welcome, Old-Timer! 🙄
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Bad heel, both ankles hurt and balky hamstring. Other than that Fatts is 💯. 🙄

"Go to him. Ride him until the wheels fall off." - Coach Cox on Fatts

So as your line goes for all of your posts, it seems to be what has happened. Bad heel, both ankles hurt and a bad hamstring.

So what happens now?

Sit Fatts until all healed?
Reduce his playing time to allow healing?
Or just keep riding him until the wheels get even more damaged?
Good point. I hope Fatts gets his wheels back.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Falcon wrote: 3 years ago WHO IS THE FALCON ? First of all , unlike many on this board , I actually graduated from URI ( 1967 ) before most of you were even born ! I have seen how NEGATIVITY by this state esp. many CRIERS ,as in PC people , has affected URI over the past 6 decades ! NOW many on this Forum are doing the same thing to our basketball program with their mental masturbation . " Opinions are like a__holes everybody has one " . As Joe Friday use to say in the tv show Dragnet , " Just the facts mam " !! In the future if this Forum survives how about sticking to the FACTS insread of letting them get in the way of your argument . GO FATTS AND GO RHODY !!!!!
FALCON USER STATISTICS

Welcome, Old-Timer! 🙄
Report Quote
Post by Ibn34 » 1 week ago

theblueram wrote: ↑1 week ago
Ibn34 wrote: ↑1 week ago
Only a coward, would name call over the internet. I’m a man! I’ll catch you in traffic.
The one week warrior. GFY.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“One week warrior” that’s actually kinda funny. U right! Lol lol
But, the question still stands...WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOU? We’re still talking about human beings. Young men at that. If he’s hurting or injured, what is coming off the fucking bench gonna do?? Probably should sit down altogether!! That’s the best way to help the team, if he’s injured, to NOT PLAY. Cause he’ll come off the bench and still not be 💯 and end up still not being himself. That make sense to you wise guy??

Ibn34
Abdul Fox

Ibn34 joined 3 weeks ago too.

Both ibn34 and falcon mix caps into their sentences and both joined to participate primarily in this “Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more” thread.

Wonder if they know one another? If not, they could become BFF’s??
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

FALCON USER STATISTICS

Welcome, Old-Timer! 🙄
Report Quote

Only a coward, would name call over the internet. I’m a man! I’ll catch you in traffic.
But, the question still stands...WHAT KIND OF MAN ARE YOU? We’re still talking about human beings. Young men at that. If he’s hurting or injured, what is coming off the fucking bench gonna do?? Probably should sit down altogether!! That’s the best way to help the team, if he’s injured, to NOT PLAY. Cause he’ll come off the bench and still not be 💯 and end up still not being himself. That make sense to you wise guy??
Not sure what got your nuts in a bind ramster. All I said whas if he's beat up he should come off the bench. If he's injured and not cleared to play, he should not play. Obviously the medical staff has cleared him to play. I get you don't want him to play at all. That's your opinion.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FALCON USER STATISTICS

Welcome, Old-Timer! 🙄
Report Quote

Not sure what got your nuts in a bind ramster. All I said whas if he's beat up he should come off the bench. If he's injured and not cleared to play, he should not play. Obviously the medical staff has cleared him to play. I get you don't want him to play at all. That's your opinion.
Theblueram,
I actually agree with you.

My point here is to show that there is a pretty good possibility that posters Falcon and ibn34 are the same person-
  • Both joined Keaneyblue only 3 weeks ago - what are the odds?
  • Both are posting primarily to this Fatts thread
  • Both use CAPS FREQUENTLY IN THEIR POSTS
I don’t know how new posters are screened By moderators but my guess is there are some posters here with multiple identities
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Multiple identities, like most of us in game posts compared to post game posts? (Said in jest)
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

You were there, so tell us — what was the UConn rivalry like in the mid-60s?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Fatts is now shooting under 20% this season from 3.

Even if he “shoots his way out” of this “slump” - his career average is 28%. That is not a guy who should be chucking up 5 a game.

Looks like last years 35% was an anomaly. Would be nice if he could just be a point guard.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Had to remove a post from falcon just a few posts above.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d already read it. Good removal decision.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Great game and finish by Fatts. There’s been varying degrees of discussion on what Fatts does and doesn’t do well.

That being said we saw today what makes him a specific player. Drive, draw fouls, use your speed, turn opponents over.

Maybe he’s still learning to just trust these guys. But hopefully he leans into what he did today and let the shooters on this team shoot
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Fatts is now shooting under 20% this season from 3.

Even if he “shoots his way out” of this “slump” - his career average is 28%. That is not a guy who should be chucking up 5 a game.

Looks like last years 35% was an anomaly. Would be nice if he could just be a point guard.
He had 8rebs and 8 assists today. How’s that for a PG?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

He might actually have the skills to be a pretty good one, too... Maybe someday we'll find out.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

8 rebounds. 8 assists. 5 steals. 10 for 10 from the line. 3 free throws to tie in last 4 seconds. 38 minutes played. I'll take 5-14 shooting with those other numbers any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Only 3 threes today....I'm fine with that, seems like a good number. Good game, Fatts.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I guess that’s #13. He single handledly won that one.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Really hope this performance helps him get his mojo back! That was the best we have seen Fatts since the GW game last year. Its like a switch flipped.

If we see more of that from him and stop turning the ball over literally every single time we have any momentum we might have something to hope for.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seems like he’s learning how to deal with this injury
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Fatts has more balls and heart than all you haters combined. I pray we can get someone with 75% of his game again soon.
BTW judging a poster by how many posts they have and when they joined has to be one of the most stupidest things I have heard. Some of you just post to see yourself in print with nothing to say! GO RAMS and GO FATTS
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

He had 8rebs and 8 assists today. How’s that for a PG?
Exactly what we need from him for us to have a chance
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My favorite play by fatts was the dribble penetration and the mid range jumper he hit near the end of the game. Excellent decision. Would love to see more of that.. he is almost impossible to stop going to the hoop.. nothing wrong with taking mid range jumpers...
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great to see Fatts with the 20. 8 8 line and of course the 3 clutch FTS hopefully the sign of multiple good performances
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 3 years ago Great to see Fatts with the 20. 8 8 line and of course the 3 clutch FTS hopefully the sign of multiple good performances
This is the Fatts that everyone in this thread is hoping for.

If he plays the rest of the year like he closed today, we will have a chance in Brooklyn.

Just get to the line and distribute the ball.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Getting to the line is key, especially if he's continues to struggle with his shot. 5-for-14 is... not great, but turning that shooting line into 20 total points is huge.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

A few quotes from Bill Koch's recap:

“Some people are alphas,” URI coach David Cox said. “Some people have the ‘it’ factor. He’s an alpha with the ‘it’ factor.”

“I’ve been struggling all year — it's not a secret,” Russell said. “My confidence hasn’t gone anywhere, though.”
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts keeps moving up the leader board of all time URI greats in several categories as noted by Bill Koch in the Jan 3rd ProJo. These accomplishments deserve to be recognized. As an old-timer I feel badly for past greats whose accomplishments are being surpassed by current stars who get to play an extra season and more games per season. Some of these records should be ranked on a per game basis.

I recently read about the career accomplishments of a college QB who is the all-time team leader in yards gained, completion percentage, games won and interceptions. It was good to see a little honesty. Let's recognize records in basketball for most missed free throws, most missed treys, most TOs etc.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts keeps moving up the leader board of all time URI greats in several categories as noted by Bill Koch in the Jan 3rd ProJo. These accomplishments deserve to be recognized. As an old-timer I feel badly for past greats whose accomplishments are being surpassed by current stars who get to play an extra season and more games per season. Some of these records should be ranked on a per game basis.

I recently read about the career accomplishments of a college QB who is the all-time team leader in yards gained, completion percentage, games won and interceptions. It was good to see a little honesty. Let's recognize records in basketball for most missed free throws, most missed treys, most TOs etc.

I pray to God you are joking with that last sentence.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts keeps moving up the leader board of all time URI greats in several categories as noted by Bill Koch in the Jan 3rd ProJo. These accomplishments deserve to be recognized. As an old-timer I feel badly for past greats whose accomplishments are being surpassed by current stars who get to play an extra season and more games per season. Some of these records should be ranked on a per game basis.

You mean you're not on board with a 'Rhode Island Rams Missed Free Throws Ring of Honor'?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

You mean you're not on board with a 'Rhode Island Rams Missed Free Throws Ring of Honor'?
Is there enough space in the Ryan Center for that?
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

We have a player who is the all time leader in NCAA history for fouls per minute. Why isn't he being recognized? Maybe his face should be on a huge billboard outside of the RC.
2 x