‘18 PA SG - Allen Betrand (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘18 PA SG - Allen Betrand (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Let’s get AB in uniform baby !!
AB!

Will it into existence reefstradamous!
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Read that all transfers are now eligible - not sure what that means for AB. Hope it means we play him.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

There’s no reason not to, especially if he’s as good as advertised.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago There’s no reason not to, especially if he’s as good as advertised.
Cox would be stupid to sit him at this point if he was eligible.

1) He has 15-20 minutes a game to fill with Mahki out for the year so the other players wouldn’t see a decrease in playing time.

2) He needs to win
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s right play AB baby
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Does anyone have scoop saying AB is going to play.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone have scoop saying AB is going to play.
Haven't heard specifically about AB, they are slow about releasing any information or statements. Following transfer information elsewhere, many of the programs around the country have already said they plan on using these players asap. Many of those transfers were in the same boat as AB where waiver requests were not necessarily filed, but are now able to play immediately.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would assume now that a Mitchel is out, that AB will fit he roster.
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I would assume now that a Mitchel is out, that AB will fit he roster.
You and Rhody Sody brought this up, but it isn't exactly a clean 1-to-1 swap. Betrand is 6'3", so he's probably getting minutes at the 1, 2 or 3. I would think D.J. Johnson and Harris will probably take most of the minutes, and maybe that frees up some minutes at the 3 or Cox decides to go much smaller more often. I think there's going to need to be some ego massaging among the guard and wings rotation by Cox, because if Bertrand is as good as advertised, the minutes reduction is probably going to come from that portion of the roster.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I would assume now that a Mitchel is out, that AB will fit he roster.
You and Rhody Sody brought this up, but it isn't exactly a clean 1-to-1 swap. Betrand is 6'3", so he's probably getting minutes at the 1, 2 or 3. I would think D.J. Johnson and Harris will probably take most of the minutes, and maybe that frees up some minutes at the 3 or Cox decides to go much smaller more often. I think there's going to need to be some ego massaging among the guard and wings rotation by Cox, because if Bertrand is as good as advertised, the minutes reduction is probably going to come from that portion of the roster.
That's why I brought up Ileri as an emergency depth piece. Why redshirt him now? If Harris goes down again, at least he's a body.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We can just go a little smaller to fit the minutes around.

DJ and Malik should be able to handle some of the A-10 bigs if need be. Especially Malik.

We also have three bigs right now which is more than we had last year.

Our issue inside now will be with fouls primarily. Harris, Walker and Makhel love to commit them...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Betrand is 6’5”
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I thought AB was 6’5 makes for the perfect small forward
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Cox says AB will be immediately eligible (obviously). Didn’t comment on availability tomorrow night, but makes me think he’ll be involved sooner rather than later.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

1 x
Common sense is not common.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am really excited to watch him on the court Friday after all the anticipation. Curious to see how he gels with the other players and how our offense will flow.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

1 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Looking forward to seeing him play!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If he can hit a layup, we improve as a team day 1
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Guys.

We are definitely going to improve.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Betrand is 6’5”
Okay, but that's still in the range of emergency or small ball 4. (I only Google'd him quickly, so I'm guessing the 6'3" must have come up from one of his original recruiting profiles.) To be clear, if Betrand is better than some guys in the rotation, go ahead and play him, but it's going to require some work by Cox to massage some egos here.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I would think he’ll take minutes from Carey and Malik.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Betrand is 6’5”
Okay, but that's still in the range of emergency or small ball 4. (I only Google'd him quickly, so I'm guessing the 6'3" must have come up from one of his original recruiting profiles.) To be clear, if Betrand is better than some guys in the rotation, go ahead and play him, but it's going to require some work by Cox to massage some egos here.
Div1 athletics is extremely competitive as all these players that get to that level are aware, and some will be unhappy with their situation. Cox will will put his best team on the floor regardless and distribute the minutes and rotation accordingly, he does not have to be Dr. Phil.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Very excited to see how he can help . We need him to shoot well from 3 , not turn the ball over and rebound too . and if he can do these things better
than some on the floor while playing decent defense I hope we see a lot of him right away.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope some of you aren't putting too high of an expectation on this kid. Some make it sound like he is the next URI great. I'll be happy if he fits in well and contributes to this year's team.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I hope some of you aren't putting too high of an expectation on this kid. Some make it sound like he is the next URI great. I'll be happy if he fits in well and contributes to this year's team.
I think people are excited to add a good player to our lineup, nothing wrong with that per say. To your point hopefully everyone understands he’s not some P5 breakaway, he’ll be what he is. An above average mid major guard
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I hope some of you aren't putting too high of an expectation on this kid. Some make it sound like he is the next URI great. I'll be happy if he fits in well and contributes to this year's team.
I think people are excited to add a good player to our lineup, nothing wrong with that per say. To your point hopefully everyone understands he’s not some P5 breakaway, he’ll be what he is. An above average mid major guard
Regardless, having another weapon out there will ease the pressure on the other guys.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hopefully he can play relaxed tonight and not try to do too much in his first appearance as a Ram. My guess is that he is a similar player as Carey but with a decent 3 point shot. Let's hope he is a legit 6'5".
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If his 3-Pt threat is legit, he’ll help spread the floor allowing Fatts, Shep and Jalen to penetrate and our bigs to rebound.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Hopefully he can play relaxed tonight and not try to do too much in his first appearance as a Ram. My guess is that he is a similar player as Carey but with a decent 3 point shot. Let's hope he is a legit 6'5".
Doesn't really play like Carey. Watch his highlights. He's a true SG.
1 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Is now the time when someone says, "I hope we don't lose this guy!" Too soon? Just checking
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Attrition is part of the game, a whole lotta mouths to feed. I hope these guys know a lot more time will be available next year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

AB 8 points in 11 minutes let’s get him 25 minutes a game !!
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago AB 8 points in 11 minutes let’s get him 25 minutes a game !!
And did you see the effort on defense as well? He played like a guy that did not want to come out of the game.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago AB 8 points in 11 minutes let’s get him 25 minutes a game !!
And did you see the effort on defense as well? He played like a guy that did not want to come out of the game.
Very true! He also stayed confident when we were down late trying to rally the guys.

He will be an essential part of turning this team around If it can get turned around.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This kid needs to play a lot , Cox better give him those minutes
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago
He should play solely based on him being amongst the only ones to display leadership on the floor. Fatts has done a ton for this program and we will never reach our ceiling if he is not a big part of it this year, but his lack of leadership and mentorship has really hurt this team over the last 2 seasons. It's part of why we have culture/identity issues.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Rams need a leadership guy this year more than ever, too. I totally understand Betrand's minutes on Friday, but hoping they can use this time off to get him ramped up.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

https://instagram.com/stories/__ab2_/25 ... o98jdnop1p

Unfortunate news for Allen Betrand.

Torn ACL...PCL...and LCL. It is a shame because you could see him starting to gain some confidence. He was just starting to play better. Time table to return might likely go into next year with injuries to that extent.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago https://instagram.com/stories/__ab2_/25 ... o98jdnop1p

Torn ACL...PCL...and LCL. It is a shame because you could see him starting to gain some confidence. He was just starting to play better. Time table to return might likely go into next year with injuries to that extent.
That's as bad as it gets.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Unbelievable
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sad to say, Betrand is done.

12-18 months for recovery, at minimum.

He will get a scholarship for next season, so the team will only have 12 players max, unless Sheppard returns.

Losing a player without being able to replace him, is just another kick in the balls for this program.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Sad to say, Betrand is done.

He will get a scholarship for next season, so the team will only have 12 players max, unless Sheppard returns.

Losing a player without being able to replace him, is just another kick in the balls for this program.
78' , there is something called a Medical Exemption
If a player has a severe injury or medical condition that prevents them from playing again, they can remain on scholarship to receive their degree and this would not count against the team's limit of 13.

Not sure if this would apply to Betrand because he may attempt to come back and play again.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Although he got a lot of criticism from this board in the past year, I'm sure everyone feels for AB right now. I hope he has a speedy recovery and while I'm sure he is out all next season, I'm hopeful he will come back strong in '22-'23.
It takes a lot of guts to leave a program/school you were comfortable in and excelling at. He had a couple flashes here but not sustained success this year, but he kept fighting which is what I like to see. Here is to hoping he battlea through recovery with the same ferocity he displayed with that dunk against Duquesne.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Sad to say, Betrand is done.

With modern medicine and rehabilitation practices these days, 9-12 months is the correct timeline.

18 months minimum? No chance.
0 x
Go Rhody
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

The Acl will take the longest to recover from I believe.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He might be able to play in 12 months time, but will he be the same?

Not likely. EC wasn't the same when he came back.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Tough break for AB and the program. Wasn’t the plan to have him play this year and was showing some signs of being an alpha type. Was hoping he could show it next year.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Terrible news but here's hoping AB fights this as best as he can and is able to rejoin the team!!
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago https://instagram.com/stories/__ab2_/25 ... o98jdnop1p

I feel for the young man. It was starting to look like he was finding a role. HIs defense in the last game was the best he had played this season. With modern medicine he has a possibility for a come back but hopefully he is making the most of his education. I would not count on him for next season but with 13 scholarships you can manage being down a player.
0 x