Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't get the Fatts hate either. Look, I'm admittedly not a huge Fatts guy (for reasons I don't feel like getting into again), but at the same time, the guy bleeds Rhody blue, he's made many big plays in a Rhody uniform, and he'll make many more big plays. He is who he is -- Love him or hate him, he's going to try to score the basketball, and he may shoot you out of some games, but he'll keep you in many more. You aren't going to turn him into someone he's not at this point. So unless fans want Cox to reign him in and try to turn him into someone he's not, potentially isolating him from his teammates and pissing him off to the point where he's giving half-ass effort, Fatts is who Fatts is. The kid is going to figure it out.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago Can we show some patience/support Rhody fans?
Old dog...new trick?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Most players can be stopped on offense. It is a matter of how much defense is going to devote to stopping you. And, that depends on how much your teammates can make the opponents pay for not devoting sufficient resources to stopping them.

Against Wisconsin in the first half, Fatts' teammates stunk out the arena, When your team scores 16 points, how many assists can be made? Don't beat up on Fatts because his teammates can't score. This was a maturation game for the new players and a good learning experience. They grew up a bit in half two.
His teammates were shooting better in the first half than Fatts. If they can't score, what does that say about the even more anemic Fatts? He took exactly one third of our shots in the first half and only hit at 22.2. The team played better in the second half without Fatts. This game was on Fatts.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Love Fatts, hes come through many times over his 3 1/4 seasons with some of the greatest moments in school history. He is a player that needs coaching attention though, since he doesn't stay committed to half course team offense as often as he should. He's a play maker, but sometimes he makes it too obvious. Last game wasn't great, but I think Cox/Fatts will bounce back.
1 x
GO RAMS
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ericf0120 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
ericf0120 wrote: 3 years ago The best Fatts is 2nd half of the ASU game Fatts (ironically was playing with 4 fouls). Penetrating, dishing, and taking what the defense gives him. Obviously he’s under a ton of pressure to carry an offense where there aren’t many playmakers, but I feel like we just need to see Fatts play more controlled and mature. Let the game come to you, and make the right basketball play.

Can’t say he was the main issue tonight, as many players didn’t play well, but being the leader and an All A-10 caliber player, we can’t have performances like this from him against power programs like WISC.

Here’s to hoping he figures out his shot for the WKU game
In the ASU Game Russell's Fouls occurred:
1st half:
Foul 1 - 19:20 or 40 seconds into the game
Foul 2 - 10:08
Foul 3 - 8:35
Foul 4 - 1:25 left in the 1st half and amazingly Cox left him in the game as he took a missed 3P as time ran out
Announcers said they could not remember a player having 4 fouls in a 1st half before (most players would be on the bench). Russell not only got 4 but he was still playing with 4 fouls in the 1st half. Hurley's ironclad rule was 2 fouls in the 1st half you went to the bench no matter who you were

2nd half
Foul 5 - 5:52 left in the game

My observations of the 2nd half Russell was playing well off his man, avoiding his 5th foul at all costs. Couple times I saw his man drive easily by him while he kept his hands in the air. So defensively he was saving energy for offense.

I'd respectively disagree that Fatts is under a ton of pressure top carry an offense where there aren't may playmakers. Sheppard is capable of running the offense and bringing the ball up the court. Carey and Leggett are as well.

I

I have to disagree here. Sheppard is a shooter more than a ball handler. Too many times when he runs the offense, it leads to too much dribbling and little ball movement. He is skilled offensively but is not a preferred/effective option for running the offense or setting teammates up in my opinion.

Leggett is a freshman, and regardless of how good he’s looked, he’s only played a handful of games, a handful of minutes, and relying him to run the offense for an extended period of time is a bit risky at this point.

Carey is a deft slasher, but again I wouldn’t trust him running the offense.

Overall, I really only see Fatts as a possible true point guard, and even him I see as a better shooting guard. We have impressive depth, but when it comes to running and creating the offense, Fatts seems to be carrying a heavy load and it’s showing (with that being said, he needs to improve shot selection).
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I don't get the Fatts hate either. Look, I'm admittedly not a huge Fatts guy (for reasons I don't feel like getting into again), but at the same time, the guy bleeds Rhody blue, he's made many big plays in a Rhody uniform, and he'll make many more big plays. He is who he is -- Love him or hate him, he's going to try to score the basketball, and he may shoot you out of some games, but he'll keep you in many more. You aren't going to turn him into someone he's not at this point. So unless fans want Cox to reign him in and try to turn him into someone he's not, potentially isolating him from his teammates and pissing him off to the point where he's giving half-ass effort, Fatts is who Fatts is. The kid is going to figure it out.
Most of us feel that we are a better team with Fatts in the lineup, but sometimes he tries to do too much himself. This team has plenty of balance, depth, and scoring options, and Fatts being the leader and point guard needs to facilitate the offensive flow, by getting all his teammates involved. A lot of the success of this team will be dependent on how Fatts handles this responsibility.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ericf0120 wrote: 3 years ago
ericf0120 wrote: 3 years ago The best Fatts is 2nd half of the ASU game Fatts (ironically was playing with 4 fouls). Penetrating, dishing, and taking what the defense gives him. Obviously he’s under a ton of pressure to carry an offense where there aren’t many playmakers, but I feel like we just need to see Fatts play more controlled and mature. Let the game come to you, and make the right basketball play.

Can’t say he was the main issue tonight, as many players didn’t play well, but being the leader and an All A-10 caliber player, we can’t have performances like this from him against power programs like WISC.

Here’s to hoping he figures out his shot for the WKU game
In the ASU Game Russell's Fouls occurred:
1st half:
Foul 1 - 19:20 or 40 seconds into the game
Foul 2 - 10:08
Foul 3 - 8:35
Foul 4 - 1:25 left in the 1st half and amazingly Cox left him in the game as he took a missed 3P as time ran out
Announcers said they could not remember a player having 4 fouls in a 1st half before (most players would be on the bench). Russell not only got 4 but he was still playing with 4 fouls in the 1st half. Hurley's ironclad rule was 2 fouls in the 1st half you went to the bench no matter who you were

2nd half
Foul 5 - 5:52 left in the game

My observations of the 2nd half Russell was playing well off his man, avoiding his 5th foul at all costs. Couple times I saw his man drive easily by him while he kept his hands in the air. So defensively he was saving energy for offense.

I'd respectively disagree that Fatts is under a ton of pressure top carry an offense where there aren't may playmakers. Sheppard is capable of running the offense and bringing the ball up the court. Carey and Leggett are as well.

I

I have to disagree here. Sheppard is a shooter more than a ball handler. Too many times when he runs the offense, it leads to too much dribbling and little ball movement. He is skilled offensively but is not a preferred/effective option for running the offense or setting teammates up in my opinion.

Leggett is a freshman, and regardless of how good he’s looked, he’s only played a handful of games, a handful of minutes, and relying him to run the offense for an extended period of time is a bit risky at this point.

Carey is a deft slasher, but again I wouldn’t trust him running the offense.

Overall, I really only see Fatts as a possible true point guard, and even him I see as a better shooting guard. We have impressive depth, but when it comes to running and creating the offense, Fatts seems to be carrying a heavy load and it’s showing (with that being said, he needs to improve shot selection).
Yeah and Fatts does not need to carry that heavy of a load. Shep and Carey are true PG's. Ish is a combo guard. Fatts at his best is better than them, but up until this point he has hurt us offensively about as much as he's helped. That's why Ramster is suggesting the other guards take some of the load off of him. Fatts has provided some catastrophically bad plays, so I really wouldn't mind seeing the other guards control the offense more until Fatts gets a groove with this group.

Shep definitely more of an effective shooting guard than Fatts right now. Ya know why? Cause he can shoot. Sheps ball handling is also pretty great actually. He does pound it into the dirt a little bit, but he at least can make shots and won't run the clock down completely and take a step back three like Fatts has done countless times. How many times has Fatts had the ball with 15 seconds left on the shot clock and he just tells everyone to get out of the way so he can lay another brick?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Sure he can learn to balance scoring/facilitating better but there is something to be said for defensive attention. Other players absolutely benefit from Fatts playing the way that he does. Guys are going to get more open looks with Fatts shooting the ball more as he garners attention from the defense. I think a lot of times people make generic declaration like “The way he is shooting we’d be better off with him off-the-floor,” but the reality is if he’s not out there doing his thing, the defense can focus more on other guys, therefore making it harder for them to get separation. Further, the more you are making a player think the game versus just play his game, the more you risk losing him all together. A tentative Fatts is probably worse than an inconsistent Fatts. These are all things that make it hard to just say “Do this instead of that.”
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

2 words: Recency Bias.

Fatts has come through for 3 years better than virtually any.player in URI history. Nothing makes me think that won't continue for his final - and most bizarre! - season in Kingston.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've never said that I want Fatts off the floor. He does many good things.

But, he needs to shoot less, distribute more.

Going 2 for 8 or 1 for 7 from 3, four out of every 5 games doesn't help the team.
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

“Shep definitely more of an effective shooting guard than Fatts right now. Ya know why? Cause he can shoot. Sheps ball handling is also pretty great actually. He does pound it into the dirt a little bit, but he at least can make shots and won't run the clock down completely and take a step back three like Fatts has done countless times. How many times has Fatts had the ball with 15 seconds left on the shot clock and he just tells everyone to get out of the way so he can lay another brick?”

I think Jeremy is really good shooter and a slick a scorer. Once he gets more comfortable, he’ll be even better for the Rams. But, if any thinks he is a pg, that can control an offense, that person obviously doesn’t know a lot about the game of basketball. Reflect on when Fatts fouled out in ASU game. I remember us not being able to create any offense, with a turnover by Jeremy to end the game. Jeremy and Ish (only guys that are somewhat capable of running the offense and creating for others) are not Fatts people, cmon now.

And as for him jacking up a bad 3 at the end of the shot clock (which happens often). Ask yourself why every possession ends that way. Ask yourself why guys are standing around every possession. Ask yourself why guys basket cutting, looks elementary. Ask yourself why the sets that are ran, look so mundane. And if your answers to those questions are “Fatts designed it all to play out that way” lol lol...you are probably just a Fatts Russell hater. Plain and simple.

Either way you think about him, there’s two undeniable things about Fatts right now:
A. He’s the best player on this particular URI team (has been for at least 2.5 seasons now)
B. He does not look like the guy we need him to resemble. Not in the least.

Those 2 things can’t be argued.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago “Shep definitely more of an effective shooting guard than Fatts right now. Ya know why? Cause he can shoot. Sheps ball handling is also pretty great actually. He does pound it into the dirt a little bit, but he at least can make shots and won't run the clock down completely and take a step back three like Fatts has done countless times. How many times has Fatts had the ball with 15 seconds left on the shot clock and he just tells everyone to get out of the way so he can lay another brick?”

I think Jeremy is really good shooter and a slick a scorer. Once he gets more comfortable, he’ll be even better for the Rams. But, if any thinks he is a pg, that can control an offense, that person obviously doesn’t know a lot about the game of basketball. Reflect on when Fatts fouled out in ASU game. I remember us not being able to create any offense, with a turnover by Jeremy to end the game. Jeremy and Ish (only guys that are somewhat capable of running the offense and creating for others) are not Fatts people, cmon now.

And as for him jacking up a bad 3 at the end of the shot clock (which happens often). Ask yourself why every possession ends that way. Ask yourself why guys are standing around every possession. Ask yourself why guys basket cutting, looks elementary. Ask yourself why the sets that are ran, look so mundane. And if your answers to those questions are “Fatts designed it all to play out that way” lol lol...you are probably just a Fatts Russell hater. Plain and simple.

Either way you think about him, there’s two undeniable things about Fatts right now:
A. He’s the best player on this particular URI team (has been for at least 2.5 seasons now)

Far from a Fatts hater and I realize he is still our best player.

Fatts playing well is a better PG than anybody on the team, but Sheppard was on the all AAC freshman team as the PG. That means he was likely the best freshman PG in that entire conference. He can play PG and so can Carey. They are PG's. Especially Carey. They are both better than Fatts when Fatts is playing wreckless.

When Fatts takes the ball and pounds out the rock for 15 seconds for a last second three while everybody stands around I blame Cox and everyone's inexperience in this system. Another thing we are lacking is a true SG. All our guards are PG's or combo guards. Martin and DJ are both pretty much G/F's. We don't have our usual big SG that can go get a bucket, like EC, JT and sometimes Rese was that guy. Its difficult for them to define what their roles should be offensively and how it can work. When we play teams like Wisconsin it will highlight that issue.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago “Shep definitely more of an effective shooting guard than Fatts right now. Ya know why? Cause he can shoot. Sheps ball handling is also pretty great actually. He does pound it into the dirt a little bit, but he at least can make shots and won't run the clock down completely and take a step back three like Fatts has done countless times. How many times has Fatts had the ball with 15 seconds left on the shot clock and he just tells everyone to get out of the way so he can lay another brick?”

Sorry, A is wrong. Sheppard, Carey, Leggett, Walker, both Mitchell's, Martin and DJ have a better FG% than Fatts
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....yes, Fatts is the “straw that stirs the drink”......the success of this team lies in the ability of the coaching staff to blend the right ingredients along with Fatts.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .....yes, Fatts is the “straw that stirs the drink”......the success of this team lies in the ability of the coaching staff to blend the right ingredients along with Fatts.......
It also relies on Fatts dishing to to the shooters who are better than him.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree we just got to throw him out there 35 minutes a night and let him do his thing

A 30 point outburst is coming soon
1 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Better FG%, does not mean they’re better players. I think you know that. You’re probably just being wise, to say something like that. Which is cool.

On the other side, Jeremy is talented, but he’s clearly not a pg. Rhody doesn’t have a PURE PG. But, Fatts is the obvious best candidate for the job.
1 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Agree we just got to throw him out there 35 minutes a night and let him do his thing

A 30 point outburst is coming soon
And then this entire thread would love him again lol lol. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. Because whatever problem that was there prior to the 30 point game, would still exist. And eventually, it would show up again.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^ it would suck if that heel injury is a nag for the better part of the season. That kind of thing can be chronic and difficult to overcome without serious time off. Hope that's not the case.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think it’s safe to say we should expect a better Fatts tomorrow.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I think it’s safe to say we should expect a better Fatts tomorrow.
Haven't seen anybody say it, but he was better against WKU. He shot less and passed more thats for sure.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I think it’s safe to say we should expect a better Fatts tomorrow.
I certainly hope so. He has taken almost 25% of FG attempts and is shooting at 34%. He's taken 30% of 3PT attempts and is shooting 22%. Shep and DJ are 21-46 behind the arc. Fatts is 8-35. Time for Fatts to pass the ball. We have played 7 games and Fatts is averaging about a 1-5 shooting on 3Pt's. Dude can't shoot.
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
I certainly hope so. He has taken almost 25% of FG attempts and is shooting at 34%. He's taken 30% of 3PT attempts and is shooting 22%. Shep and DJ are 21-46 behind the arc. Fatts is 8-35. Time for Fatts to pass the ball. We have played 7 games and Fatts is averaging about a 1-5 shooting on 3Pt's. Dude can't shoot.
It gets to the point where you have to question the coaching. Of his 27 misses I know at least 4 were airballs and many were not close to going in. Compare his misses to Sheppard and Johnson. They both have nice releases and arc on their 3P shots and they look on target even when missing. Johnson’s makes often hit only net. Russell is clanking the rim often short and/or off right. Jimmy Baron shots almost always looked like they were going in - I know he was an amazing shooter but you always thought they were in - and so did Jimmy. Akeem Richmond shot a lot of airballs and clanked a lot of shots but when he got got look out - just not hot enough. Time to get Sheppard and Johnson leading the team in 3P attempts. Also see what Leggett and Betrand can do with more attempts.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Betrand is a very good shooter.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Betrand is a good shooter, but if Russell doesn’t stop taking so many shots the impact of good shooters like Sheppard, Johnson, Leggett and Betrand is not maximized.

Betrand at Towson:

Freshman:
15-53 on 3Ps = 28%
22-30 FT = 73%

Sophomore:
46-119 on 3Ps = 39%
78-88 FT = 89%
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

89 % from the line baby play this kid 30 minutes a night !!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 3 years ago 89 % from the line baby play this kid 30 minutes a night !!
.........let’s hope, if that verifies and transfers in a Rhody uniform.......sure, and that will eat in someone else’s minutes........hhhhhhhuuuuummmmm
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Fatts value to the offense is 1.15 points per shot [PPS]. He creates movement in the offense. Draws defenders away from the post. Creates foul problems for the opponent..............yes his PPS comes in an unusual way, p0rimarily free throws.

He brings a different look, that creates open shots for Shepperd, Walker, Carey, and Johnson......Do not look at one stat alone.

On defense he is a disruptor.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CTRamfan wrote: 3 years ago Fatts value to the offense is 1.15 points per shot [PPS]. He creates movement in the offense. Draws defenders away from the post. Creates foul problems for the opponent..............yes his PPS comes in an unusual way, p0rimarily free throws.

He brings a different look, that creates open shots for Shepperd, Walker, Carey, and Johnson......Do not look at one stat alone.

On defense he is a disruptor.
Schedule - Russell Assists / Turnovers
Arizona State (88-94) Loss 6/1
Boston College (64-69) Loss 3/1
South Florida (84-68) Win 3/3
San Francisco (84-71) Win 4/2
Seton Hall (76-63) Win 2/2
Wisconsin (62-73) Loss 1/3
Western Kentucky (65-68) Loss 4/1

23 assists and 13 TOs for 1.7 Assist/TO Ratio
Only 3.3 Assists per game
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Betrand is a good shooter, but if Russell doesn’t stop taking so many shots the impact of good shooters like Sheppard, Johnson, Leggett and Betrand is not maximized.

Betrand at Towson:

Freshman:
15-53 on 3Ps = 28%
22-30 FT = 73%

Sophomore:
46-119 on 3Ps = 39%
78-88 FT = 89%
As soon as the kid comes out and shoots 2-12 out the gate from 3. You dudes will be calling for him to stopping shooting 3’s too lol lol. Before you know it, the only person on the team shooting three point shots will be JH 😆....let these guys play man, PLEASE.
2 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

It gets to the point where you have to question the coaching. Of his 27 misses I know at least 4 were airballs and many were not close to going in. Compare his misses to Sheppard and Johnson. They both have nice releases and arc on their 3P shots and they look on target even when missing. Johnson’s makes often hit only net. Russell is clanking the rim often short and/or off right. Jimmy Baron shots almost always looked like they were going in - I know he was an amazing shooter but you always thought they were in - and so did Jimmy. Akeem Richmond shot a lot of airballs and clanked a lot of shots but when he got got look out - just not hot enough. Time to get Sheppard and Johnson leading the team in 3P attempts. Also see what Leggett and Betrand can do with more attempts.
Shep and DJ are also getting WIDE OPEN LOOKS!! That plays a huge factor in how many shots go in for anyone, not named Clay or Steph. How many wide open looks has Fatts gotten this season? It ain’t many...and if you’re paying attention to what’s happening, in games where teams keyed in on Jeremy’s shooting prowess, he’s been 2-13. That’s not recognized, because he probably averages 3 attempts a game. Which doesn’t kill his %. Fatts on the other hand, has the ball at the end of shot clock situations OFTEN. Which leads to almost impossible shots. And obviously, he takes more than a few I’ll advised ones. No doubt! Let these dudes play....
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

One last FYI, DJ hadn’t made a shot outside of the bubble (0-6 in 2 games), before W. Kentucky game. Did any of you guys notice that?? Probably not... I did, because I’m watching everything on the court. Not just what Fatts is doing or not doing. Didn’t matter to me, because the kid can FLAT OUT SHOOT. And he’s going to have cold streaks. I’m good with that. Let these dudes PLAY....
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Fatts is having problems with a heel (plantar fasciitis ?), it takes away his best assets, his explosiveness in his drives to the basket and his quickness on defense. Someone with a problem like that is likely to settle for outside shots due to the injury.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago One last FYI, DJ hadn’t made a shot outside of the bubble (0-6 in 2 games), before W. Kentucky game. Did any of you guys notice that?? Probably not... I did, because I’m watching everything on the court. Not just what Fatts is doing or not doing. Didn’t matter to me, because the kid can FLAT OUT SHOOT. And he’s going to have cold streaks. I’m good with that. Let these dudes PLAY....
I think a lot of us noticed that. DJ fell off the map.

I think we should all be a little more excited about what we saw from DJ at WKU. Was the only reason we were in it! Not bad for your 8th or 9th man.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Betrand is a good shooter, but if Russell doesn’t stop taking so many shots the impact of good shooters like Sheppard, Johnson, Leggett and Betrand is not maximized.

Betrand at Towson:

Freshman:
15-53 on 3Ps = 28%
22-30 FT = 73%

Sophomore:
46-119 on 3Ps = 39%
78-88 FT = 89%
As soon as the kid comes out and shoots 2-12 out the gate from 3. You dudes will be calling for him to stopping shooting 3’s too lol lol. Before you know it, the only person on the team shooting three point shots will be JH 😆....let these guys play man, PLEASE.
Russell has had 3.5 years of shooting too many 3’s
And we can say it all we want for him to stop but it won’t matter.
Only way he stops is when his senior year is over.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shep and DJ are also getting WIDE OPEN LOOKS!! That plays a huge factor in how many shots go in for anyone, not named Clay or Steph. How many wide open looks has Fatts gotten this season? It ain’t many...and if you’re paying attention to what’s happening, in games where teams keyed in on Jeremy’s shooting prowess, he’s been 2-13. That’s not recognized, because he probably averages 3 attempts a game. Which doesn’t kill his %. Fatts on the other hand, has the ball at the end of shot clock situations OFTEN. Which leads to almost impossible shots. And obviously, he takes more than a few I’ll advised ones. No doubt! Let these dudes play....
He is shooting as the clock winds down because he wants to shoot it. He gets the ball, dribbles, dribbles, dribbles and launches. Most of his looks are wide open but not always when he gets stuck and the clock winds down.
Watch tonight. And watch his defense, or lack thereof, off the ball. He is not a natural point guard.

We have won 6 of our last 14 games.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

All I know is this team really needs a true point guard. I will argue there is not one on the roster, and nothing coming in next year either. The closest to a true point guard is Ish, and he has been great and think will be a very good point guard. But he is more of a combo guard transitioning to the point.

I know the game has changed a lot but man what I would do to have Yuri Collins running this team. I watched the St. Louis - NC State game last night and Collins is a true point guard and he is very good. I think he had 19 assists and 3 turnovers going into the game last night. He struggled a little bit in the first half but really came on and led that team to a convincing win. Our team as a whole is just terrible with the ball when it comes to turning it over. Really the Rams biggest issue by far.

And St. Louis is the best team in this league and it not even that close in my opinion. I know Richmond, we shall see when those two teams meet up.

And yes six and eight is correct but a little context is needed here. Of those losses four are against ranked teams with being a top five team in the country: Top five team Dayton (twice), a very hot St. Louis team that was playing great late in the year and at Davidson in overtime who always gives us problems.

This year a ranked (almost called them Oregon again) Arizona State team, a top 15 team ranked Wisconsin team on the road (Albeit with one of the worse halves of basketball I have ever witnessed that caused me to lose my mind), a solid Western Kentucky team again on the road, and BC (yes a disappointing loss but was actually playing pretty good basketball early in the year that has gone south due in large part to decisions made by the Coach). So those losses are: four to ranked teams, two to upper tier A-10 teams, one to an ACC team and one to a very solid WKU team.

This is what gets me when people refer to last year as a collapse. That is a little much. Go back and look at the lines in those four games they lost, I believe they were underdogs in 3 of the 4 (I think they were a one point dog at Davidson). Disappointing finish to the year sure, but a collapse? Not buying that one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6-8 and some context could be a 1 point miracle win at Fordham whereby Jacob Toppin grabbed a missed DT and scored and then a 1 point win at UMASS March 5th. 6-8 could be 4-10.
1 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

He is shooting as the clock winds down because he wants to shoot it. He gets the ball, dribbles, dribbles, dribbles and launches. Most of his looks are wide open but not always when he gets stuck and the clock winds down.
Watch tonight. And watch his defense, or lack thereof, off the ball. He is not a natural point guard.

We have won 6 of our last 14 games.
You’re probably right. Thx for your insight.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

What injury is Fatts dealing with? He looks a little less explosive out there.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago What injury is Fatts dealing with? He looks a little less explosive out there.
Heel is what they said. Not sure on specifics.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right seems like he has no lift when he gets inside the paint ??
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago What injury is Fatts dealing with? He looks a little less explosive out there.
Maybe easier to list what injuries he's not dealing with.

1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bad heel, both ankles hurt and balky hamstring. Other than that Fatts is 💯. 🙄
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe he should not be starting and come off the bench if he's that beat up. Cause it's killing us.
3 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Maybe he should not be starting and come off the bench if he's that beat up. Cause it's killing us.
The human things to say is “maybe he shouldn’t play at all” smdh. Could be your son or nephew, playing through pain/injury. What kinda man are you?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Maybe he should not be starting and come off the bench if he's that beat up. Cause it's killing us.
The human things to say is “maybe he shouldn’t play at all” smdh. Could be your son or nephew, playing through pain/injury. What kinda man are you?
WTF are you talking about dick? All I said was if he is that hurt and banged up, he should be on reserve. Have another.
2 x