12/13 | Western Kentucky University | 12:00 PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Re: 12/13 | Western Kentucky University | 12:00 PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Ibn34 »

cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago Play by play guy just nailed it about Harris.
......so, what did the pbp guy say......?
He said when Jermaine plays with high intensity he can be a difference maker. He said he needs to watch film of today’s game and watch Bassey. Not the blocks, not the dunks, not the moves, but how Bassey runs the floor so hard on every single play. Bang. I was thinking that since forever.

That’s all most of the bigs in college basketball do...sprint the floor offensively and defensively...look to chase every offensive and defensive rebound...protect the lane by walling up, taking charges, or blocking shots...set GREAT screens...and look to dunk drop off pass they get. I just described 95% of college bigs. While all have different degrees of talent, for the majority of them, that’s what they’re ASKED/TOLD to do....
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
He said when Jermaine plays with high intensity he can be a difference maker. He said he needs to watch film of today’s game and watch Bassey. Not the blocks, not the dunks, not the moves, but how Bassey runs the floor so hard on every single play. Bang. I was thinking that since forever.

That’s all most of the bigs in college basketball do...sprint the floor offensively and defensively...look to chase every offensive and defensive rebound...protect the lane by walling up, taking charges, or blocking shots...set GREAT screens...and look to dunk drop off pass they get. I just described 95% of college bigs. While all have different degrees of talent, for the majority of them, that’s what they’re ASKED/TOLD to do....
In context it was after Bassey repeatedly beat most players down the floor who had a 10 to 25 foot head start. The extra effort. He said that is what is impressing NBA folks.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago Such a winnable game. So many missed layups and turnovers.
Ups and downs is what we will deal with these guys.wecan beat anyone but lose to many
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not sure that's what I see...maybe we watch different games...
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch recap really shows difference between DJ and Malik:

The former junior college forward pumped in a career-high 16 points on 6-for-7 shooting against the Hilltoppers. Johnson made all but one of his five 3-point attempts, including one off a designed screen on the left wing with 2:42 to play.

Johnson finished a team-high plus-13 in his 23 minutes, picking up frontcourt minutes off the bench after Mitchell’s injury and some ineffectiveness from starter Malik Martin (minus-9 in nine minutes). He opened the season with a surprising 12 points in a 94-88 loss to Arizona State at Mohegan Sun Arena. The Rams were just 2-for-13 from beyond the arc on Sunday outside of Johnson’s contributions.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......more PT for Ish, DJ, Shep.......less of whoever you want reduce PT.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......more PT for Ish, DJ, Shep.......less of whoever you want reduce PT.......
The problem is Fatts, Carey, Walker and Shep have a combined 61 turnovers in 7 games. That needs to end.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago Play by play guy just nailed it about Harris.
I thought the analyst made some good points at times. It has to be tough calling the game remotely.
2 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
I thought the analyst made some good points at times. It has to be tough calling the game remotely.

I think he was there today
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I’ll preface it to say I still like this team a lot and they have a lot of potential.

But they did not box out at all today and have had way too many turnovers the past few games. Too many second chances for the other team and too many no chances where we don’t get a shot off.

That loose ball today we didn’t get with 30 seconds left t is still killing me

There’s still a lot of positives. And a nice mix of weapons. But those little things like getting 50/50 balls make the difference in close games
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

15 Year Lurker wrote: 3 years ago I’ll preface it to say I still like this team a lot and they have a lot of potential.

But they did not box out at all today and have had way too many turnovers the past few games. Too many second chances for the other team and too many no chances where we don’t get a shot off.

That loose ball today we didn’t get with 30 seconds left t is still killing me

There’s still a lot of positives. And a nice mix of weapons. But those little things like getting 50/50 balls make the difference in close games
That will be the test this year for Coach Cox, can he get this young team to do those small things in conference play. New season starts next week.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago Bad loss. Bad effort period today. Team should be at least 5-2 (let’s assume they would’ve lost to Nova, on Day 2 in the bubble). Team has size. Team has athletes. Team has guard play. Team has shooting (supposedly lol 😂). But game in, game out there are too many things missing. Whether it’s the senior star stepping up, experienced transfers stepping forward, playing with offensive discipline, playing with defensive discipline, having any semblance of in-game adjustments, having any semblance of gameplan (what we taking away or what we’re imposing on them), or.....I could go on forever. Unless all these guys take a hard look in the mirror and take accountability for what’s happening. AND I MEAN EVERYONE!! There will be many more games like this one, coming up very soon.
I would submit that the team has height, but when I think of a team that has size, that also includes strength, which the Rhody big men to not have right now.
Defensive rebounding continues to be a weakness. Whether it’s lack of strength, lack of boxing out, being out of position due to poor rotations: each applies at times. WKU had 13 offensive rebounds. Better than some of the Mohegan games, but they need to drop this to single digits. At least one guard is going to have to help out. It’s not like they’re fast breaking anyway.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Do you think there will be a game this year where some one of us (me ncluded) doesn't biotch about the TO strategy? I sure hope so....
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

I think he was there today
I think they said they missed being at the Diddle...
0 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Is there any information on the Mitchell injury
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Again regardless of what happens to finish this game, every issue has been the same story. Start slow, and take way too long to adjust. Leggett played 5 first half minutes, just no excuse that we let Sheppard lead the team in first half minutes when it was abundantly clear he had nothing going on
Dead on.

Cox doesn’t understand momentum or doesn’t believe in it.

Taking out DJ at any point in this game was absolutely stupid.

This is another inexcusable loss.

It’s YEAR 3 of a non-rebuild. Disgusting.
You’re 100% correct here! Been saying it - Cox isnt the answer and never was. He is a talented recruiter - not a talented head coach.

Some of his calls are head scratchers. You can go against the grain as a coach but have a little credibility before you re-write the book. Time outs work...momentum swings in a game are a real thing... the players are not your buddies.

If you think I’m just being a Cox hater here is my last point: We aren’t getting blown out by ANY of these teams. We are losing winnable games!! It’s not a talent issue.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is the chance we took when we hired David Cox.

We got a talented recruiter who's also a great guy.

But "great guys" don't always win games.

The more time that goes by, and the same game coaching problems keep happening, well the verdict will be in.

I'm not 100% convinced he can't get better, but if we can't win with the talent and depth we now have.....
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......we will languish in the annual mid/upper pack of the A-10, with an occasional flash in the pan Dance......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Again regardless of what happens to finish this game, every issue has been the same story. Start slow, and take way too long to adjust. Leggett played 5 first half minutes, just no excuse that we let Sheppard lead the team in first half minutes when it was abundantly clear he had nothing going on
Dead on.

You’re 100% correct here! Been saying it - Cox isnt the answer and never was. He is a talented recruiter - not a talented head coach.

Some of his calls are head scratchers. You can go against the grain as a coach but have a little credibility before you re-write the book. Time outs work...momentum swings in a game are a real thing... the players are not your buddies.

If you think I’m just being a Cox hater here is my last point: We aren’t getting blown out by ANY of these teams. We are losing winnable games!! It’s not a talent issue.

It is a known coaching fact...blowouts belong to players/talent...close losses ALWAYS fall on coaches! I’m sure Cox would not duck that responsibility.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

105...that is the URI curse......good enough to be competitive, but not good enough to be consistent good or good enough to really go anywhere.

In other words, DC could be destined to be a long term coach here....not good enough to be in demand elsewhere, but not bad enough to be fired.

And at the right price for URI. No need to pay him 2 mil a year, that's for sure.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

😂😂😂 now the verdict is out on the coach?!

7 games in with a new roster...some of the shit here never ceases to amaze me. Sure, Let’s take NOTHING else into account to include these teenage age mood swings.

He has literally seen these guys play as a team as many times as we have. Not all changes are cut & dry, unless you’re in the film room. Basketball has way more intricacies than seen on the surface.

I am unhappy with EVERYONE right now on the team. How many WINNING TEAMS do the things that we do? Miss open bunnies, miss clutch free throws, turn the ball over? NOT MANY, right? If your in the position to make those plays, and you miss, they are forgotten. Guys have to make the winning plays, winning pass, winning rebound. We know the guys are highly capable of it....

To say Coach isn’t an X and O’s guy is a discredit to all those Hurley years we begged for Cox to be on every scout.

I’ll stop rambling, but again, one game during an anomaly of a season, to say the least. is not an indictment Cox, or the kids. Refer to Kentucky being 1-4....that is NOT a 1-4 roster....but it is. We are capable of better, as are they. (No, I am not comparing us to KY or Cox to Cal, I’m not that jaded)
6 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

[/quote]

It is a known coaching fact...blowouts belong to players/talent...close losses ALWAYS fall on coaches! I’m sure Cox would not duck that responsibility.
[/quote]

This +1,000, this team just doesn't seem prepared to start any of these games, this was also my big criticism of Hurley when he finally had talent on the roster. It took Dan the non conference to take Christion Thompson out of the starting lineup, will be interesting to see if Martin is in the starting lineup on Friday, I'm hoping the play of Ish and DJ would earn them their deserved minutes. Ish is playing like a seasoned veteran, he needs to be on the floor more. Having said that, we had Jalen Carey at the line down 2 with 5 second left, with Bassey fouled out of the game. Hit 2 free throws and I like our chances in OT with Bassey out, certainly cant blame Cox for that.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago 😂😂😂 now the verdict is out on the coach?!

7 games in with a new roster...some of the shit here never ceases to amaze me. Sure, Let’s take NOTHING else into account to include these teenage age mood swings.

He has literally seen these guys play as a team as many times as we have. Not all changes are cut & dry, unless you’re in the film room. Basketball has way more intricacies than seen on the surface.

I am unhappy with EVERYONE right now on the team. How many WINNING TEAMS do the things that we do? Miss open bunnies, miss clutch free throws, turn the ball over? NOT MANY, right? If your in the position to make those plays, and you miss, they are forgotten. Guys have to make the winning plays, winning pass, winning rebound. We know the guys are highly capable of it....

To say Coach isn’t an X and O’s guy is a discredit to all those Hurley years we begged for Cox to be on every scout.

I’ll stop rambling, but again, one game during an anomaly of a season, to say the least. is not an indictment Cox, or the kids. Refer to Kentucky being 1-4....that is NOT a 1-4 roster....but it is. We are capable of better, as are they. (No, I am not comparing us to KY or Cox to Cal, I’m not that jaded)
It's getting late early is all I'm going to say.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

WKU is better right now.

We got shut down primarily by perhaps the best inside defender in the country and this crew says our coach now is no good trying to put together a smooth machine with mostly new parts during a pandemic?

You’re all nuts.
7 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We can't win all of the close games as much as we would enjoy that. This is an abnormal year so its hard to get too upset about these guys not playing well as a team so far. I thought Fatts had some nice passes today and it would have been nice if a few more were converted into buckets. I do think we will see some better basketball as the rust comes off a few of the guards. I hope Makhi Mitchell does not have a serious injury.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

David Cox said this.
"Nothing will change that mindset moving forward. We have won Atlantic 10 championships and NCAA tournament games in the last two years. That is now the bar. Moving forward, our goal is to repeat as A-10 champions, get back to the NCAA tournament and make an even deeper run. Year after year, we are going to recruit at the highest level possible and continue to attract top-100 players, high-major players, and players with high character who fit our culture."

If the bar is A10 championships and NCAA tournament bids, and we go 3 seasons with nothing, that's not good enough. I'm not giving up on Cox yet. I think he can make this right and get us to where we want to be this season. Win the A10!!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dead on.

This is another inexcusable loss. it's easy to be an armshair quarterback)

I think Cox will be the first to say he needs to improve and that the buck stops with him. At this point it is way to early to give up on him or throw him under the bus. Yes I don't always agree with his use of time-outs, player rotation, or play calling (it's easy to be an armchair quarterback) , but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. His first year as head coach his team had lost 4 starters from the previous year plus almost all of the scoring (E.C, Stan, Jarred, Jarvis, Berry). Last year we started out hot but struggled down the stretch, that's on him. Who knows if we would of bounced back in the tournament. This has been a crazy season between the limited practices, almost complete roster turnover, and all the last minute schedule changes, so maybe he gets a pass. I think he is an excellent recruiter and understands how to balance the roster. Hopefully he can be more successful as a bench coach and develop the right combinations on the floor. We just need to be a little more patient and see what happens. I am just glad to be able to watch these games, we weren't even sure there would be a season, some teams aren't even playing.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

For all the people that say the problem isn’t coaching, it’s because we foul too often, or miss free throws, or can’t score inside... it’s the individual player effort not staffs problem. Well, that’s been your same story for 7 games now. What exactly are we doing in practice? How are those specific things not related to coaching if we are seeing the same issues game in and game out?

For the ones saying it’s a new team... let’s not forget WHY it’s such a new team! I’ll help if your a bit foggy - It’s because a good chunk of our roster walked out the door the last two seasons. I’ll let you figure out who I think is to blame for that.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dead on.

Ibn, I believe you played for Al Skinner when you were here. He seemed like a laid back guy. How did he motivate you guys to come out strong at the start of games? We seem to have a the problem of coming out flat at the beginning of games way too often under Coach Cox.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago For all the people that say the problem isn’t coaching, it’s because we foul too often, or miss free throws, or can’t score inside... it’s the individual player effort not staffs problem. Well, that’s been your same story for 7 games now. What exactly are we doing in practice? How are those specific things not related to coaching if we are seeing the same issues game in and game out?

For the ones saying it’s a new team... let’s not forget WHY it’s such a new team! I’ll help if your a bit foggy - It’s because a good chunk of our roster walked out the door the last two seasons. I’ll let you figure out who I think is to blame for that.
So you’d prefer Mehki Long, Dana Tate, or Jacob Toppin over what we have right now? I’m good thanks. You can complain about ticky tacky stuff and Xs and Os but pretending we’re worse off because we lost players for better players is where you’ve gone off the deep end.

Tyrese Martin is the only one of the recent transfers we’ve lost who would play minutes on this team
5 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Ibn, I believe you played for Al Skinner when you were here. He seemed like a laid back guy. How did he motivate you guys to come out strong at the start of games? We seem to have a the problem of coming out flat at the beginning of games way too often under Coach Cox.

I did not play for Coach Skinner.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 3 years ago For all the people that say the problem isn’t coaching, it’s because we foul too often, or miss free throws, or can’t score inside... it’s the individual player effort not staffs problem. Well, that’s been your same story for 7 games now. What exactly are we doing in practice? How are those specific things not related to coaching if we are seeing the same issues game in and game out?

So you’d prefer Mehki Long, Dana Tate, or Jacob Toppin over what we have right now? I’m good thanks. You can complain about ticky tacky stuff and Xs and Os but pretending we’re worse off because we lost players for better players is where you’ve gone off the deep end.

Tyrese Martin is the only one of the recent transfers we’ve lost who would play minutes on this team
Toppin would be starting. That's a for sure thing.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

I did not play for Coach Skinner.
Who was your coach?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago 😂😂😂 now the verdict is out on the coach?!

DC: we all know what the great Bill Parcells said: YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Still no word on the Mitchell injury?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No one argues that the bottom line, wins and losses falls on the head coach regardless of excuses. Certain things on the floor the coach can control and there are things he can't, missed open shots, layups, bad passes, lost dribbles, are the players responsibility. You can be an excellent coach/teacher and practice, practice, and practice, but the players also have to perform. As I said previously Cox knows he needs to improve and I think this team will come together, give it time.
Players leave, that won't change. Every school especially with new coaches goes through roster turnovers and with the new rules, transferring will be easier. It is up to the coach to fill in the missing pieces and Cox has done an excellent job of that.
Hurley started out with 2 losing seasons here and his 4th year (2015-16) we barely went .500 (17-15) and many fans were disappointed and questioning his hire. Then in his last 2 seasons, looked what happened, we certainly weren't happy when he left.
Bottom line, take a deep breath, chillout, give it some time, and see how it plays out.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC was gifted the #1 recruiting class when he took over 3 years ago. That class no longer exists and we are sitting at 3-4 in OOC. He's either going to be a miracle worker, and get us to the NCAAT this year, or he's going to be a head coach with 2 years remaining on his contract.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

I think that’s far from a sure thing. Maybe he would out of luck at the 3? He has a high ceiling if you want to go off genes but also a low floor. Grass is always greener as they say, but he was nothing special during his time here
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago DC was gifted the #1 recruiting class when he took over 3 years ago. That class no longer exists and we are sitting at 3-4 in OOC. He's either going to be a miracle worker, and get us to the NCAAT this year, or he's going to be a head coach with 2 years remaining on his contract.
I don't know about #1 class, who knows how these recruits work out. We certainly lost a lot more (graduates) that year, than we gained:
Brendan- Decommitted and followed Hurley
Dana - He turned out to have off court issues as we now know.
Tyrese - Left, followed DH
JH - Still here, been battling injuries and hasn't quite lived up to expectations.
This year being as it is, our expectations should be tempered., injuries may also play a part.
Cox will get a contract extension. Just recently most on this board felt he needs a pay increase.
Hopefully we get the facility improvements soon, that will be a major step forward in helping to grow our program.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Some notes on the game and replies to some other comments:

-Fatts seemed to play with a lot more patience today, eh? Is that the Fatts we want? I think so but we need the other guys to step up.

-Sheppard was in another place today bc he wasn’t at the game. He has to value the ball more, he is a skilled offensive player but he makes silly and unnecessary mistakes that a 5th year senior shouldn’t make. That said he hasn’t played in almost 2 years so I am going to chalk it up to rust.

-Ish needs to play more. He makes winning plays. He easily has the highest ball IQ on the team. He is 1 of our best on ball defenders, has a nose for the ball and plays within himself.

-Jalen started great, and like Jeremy made some dumb and unnecessary TOs.

-Malik was a no show

-To the guys asking for more “offensive sets” - did you see the set we ran to free up DJ? Critiquing the offensive design is the oldest of Monday morning QB’ing there is. Everyone runs similar sets, it’s all in the execution and decision making.

-This is a critical year for DC but it’s not an easy team to coach. A lot of talent, but no roles are defined and they are learning on the fly what each other can do.

-If this isn’t a team that looks much better in February than it’s fair to ask questions of the Coach. Right now it’s too soon.
9 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Some notes on the game and replies to some other comments:

-Fatts seemed to play with a lot more patience today, eh? Is that the Fatts we want? I think so but we need the other guys to step up.

-Sheppard was in another place today bc he wasn’t at the game. He has to value the ball more, he is a skilled offensive player but he makes silly and unnecessary mistakes that a 5th year senior shouldn’t make. That said he hasn’t played in almost 2 years so I am going to chalk it up to rust.

-Ish needs to play more. He makes winning plays. He easily has the highest ball IQ on the team. He is 1 of our best on ball defenders, has a nose for the ball and plays within himself.

-Jalen started great, and like Jeremy made some dumb and unnecessary TOs.

-Malik was a no show

-To the guys asking for more “offensive sets” - did you see the set we ran to free up DJ? Critiquing the offensive design is the oldest of Monday morning QB’ing there is. Everyone runs similar sets, it’s all in the execution and decision making.

-This is a critical year for DC but it’s not an easy team to coach. A lot of talent, but no roles are defined and they are learning on the fly what each other can do.

-If this isn’t a team that looks much better in February than it’s fair to ask questions of the Coach. Right now it’s too soon.
Great stuff, bar. Thank you.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago So glad I can’t read the whiners whine. I’m sure it’s the same shit.

We lost, season isn’t over. All is NOT lost. We’ve got to continue to work. It takes longer for teams that lack an identity to find themselves. It’s the reality of it. Sure, that falls first on the lap of Cox, but players have to hold themselves accountable. The missed layups and FTs are on them. Plenty of opportunities around for us to win the game, never capitalized.

Ish and/or DJ need to start. Period. That is my biggest gripe.

Martin doesn’t give us enough offense to start.

On to Davidson. Long season. Have seen stranger things happen.
In the A10 we can easily get away with 3 guard lineup. Start Ish with Fatts and Shep, Walker and Mitchell. The kid has earned it and it’s a no lose situation to motivate the older players and reward the FR. I would dole out the minutes in this order. Makhi (assuming he’s healthy) and Jalen are first two off bench pending whether it’s a back court or front court replacement. DJ can plug in at the 3 or 4 spot in a smaller lineup.

Fatts
Ish
Shep
Walker
Makhel

Makhi
Carey
DJ
Jermaine
Malik
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cox said Makhi twisted his knee. Doesnt sound like its as catastrophic as it looked.

I think we really could have used him in that second half. Haven't seen anybody bring that up, but we seriously needed some of his offensive skill set down low. He may not have missed a wide open lay up or took it right to Bassey multiple times like Makhel, whom did an admirable job.

This one sucked, but I really wasn't too surprised. I was actually a little surprised at how well we defended them in the half court. They carved up the likes of WVA. It made no sense we couldn't stop the ball. They scored a ton of easy points.

We may have a long way to go to get the resume we need to make the tournament, but if we play bad like that without Mahki and still have a chance to win, we at our sloppiest will still take care of business against the majority of the A-10.

WKU is as good as SLU and Richmond, or at least close to it.

The jury is still out on Cox, but I'm okay with cutting him some slack for now. We have been up and down and thats pretty normal for a team with so many new pieces.

Now if we get Betrand eligible like is rumored then I'm not worried at all going ahead...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Definitely gonna be a war

68-65 WKY
Reefstradamous.
Oh my I had totally forgotten thanks Pete for pointing that out , probably the only time I will ever nail a prediction like that !!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am with all of you that Martin needs to come off the bench . Maybe start Jalen in his place and increase Ish minutes
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think that’s far from a sure thing. Maybe he would out of luck at the 3? He has a high ceiling if you want to go off genes but also a low floor. Grass is always greener as they say, but he was nothing special during his time here
Toppin was a freshman loaded with upside who had some big moments last season. To say he would not get minutes is absolutely crazy.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....I think Bill Parcells said, “ you are what your record says you are......”. But previous point regarding his quote is valid here I would say.......record can get much better, as someone pointed out, and let’s let the A-10 sked get under way, and see where we are in February.......I also like the line up and distribution of minutes that was suggested here......Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Toppin was a freshman loaded with upside who had some big moments last season. To say he would not get minutes is absolutely crazy.
“Loaded with upside” is a neat way of saying raw and in Jacobs case just a good athlete. As I stated earlier everyone’s optimistic because of Obi that his brother will breakout into this unstoppable player too (maybe but who knows right). In terms of current value he clearly hasn’t improved much year over year - can barely get minutes on the worst Kentucky team of the Calipari era (not to mention the minutes he’s seen have been extremely inefficient)

Long story short he was a fine player, and could have been a serviceable player in a 4 year stay here. Right now he would be somewhere in the 8-10th best player in our rotation
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

“Loaded with upside” is a neat way of saying raw and in Jacobs case just a good athlete. As I stated earlier everyone’s optimistic because of Obi that his brother will breakout into this unstoppable player too (maybe but who knows right). In terms of current value he clearly hasn’t improved much year over year - can barely get minutes on the worst Kentucky team of the Calipari era (not to mention the minutes he’s seen have been extremely inefficient)

Long story short he was a fine player, and could have been a serviceable player in a 4 year stay here. Right now he would be somewhere in the 8-10th best player in our rotation
I wouldn't dismiss Toppin, his minutes have been increasing at Kentucky (18 min. last game at Notre Dame). He plays behind Brandon Boston, Terrence Clarke, and Isaiah Jackson all 5*Rivals recruits and two were McDonald's All Americans. We start Malik, how would you compare them?
Jacob may not be as successful as his brother but he would certainly be better than 8-10 player in our rotation as you stated.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I wouldn't dismiss Toppin, his minutes have been increasing at Kentucky (18 min. last game at Notre Dame). He plays behind Brandon Boston, Terrence Clarke, and Isaiah Jackson all 5*Rivals recruits and two were McDonald's All Americans. We start Malik, how would you compare them?
Jacob may not be as successful as his brother but he would certainly be better than 8-10 player in our rotation as you stated.
Realistically Malik shouldn’t be starting either so I consider that somewhat of a moot point. I wouldn’t be giving him minutes over fatts, shep, Carey, Walker, ish, Mitchell twins (different positions anyways), Johnson (far better shooter than toppin). So here we are - he’d slot into the bottom 3 with Malik and Jermaine. Also known as 8-10.

To circle back to how this started, this isn’t a knock on Toppin. Someone said Cox needs to explain himself for losing the transfers he did. My point is I prefer the talent we picked up in that “exchange”
0 x