12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: 12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Unread post by JimSidd »

Native wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago So it looks like BTN on Cox requires Sports Pack 2. I have Sports Pak 1 so I need an alternative. It looks like a monthly pass for 1 school in the Big 10 on BTN+ is $9.95. What's everyone doing to get this game?
I currently have COX service here in Rhode Island.

My currently existing COX cable-TV plan did not include BTN; that is, my currently existing plan with COX did not give me access to channel 489 (BIG10) or to channel 1489 (BIG10HD)

As an existing customer, I called COX (844.260.0426) and added some COX Sports Package that gives me access to the sports channels in the range from 479 through 497.

The cost of the COX Sports Channel package that includes BTN is something like $10 per month. However, the COX Customer Service Rep pointed out that it is actually more like 33 cents per day, since the cost is pro-rated on a daily basis and I can cancel it at anytime without penalty.

I went ahead and signed up for it earlier this afternoon and 5 or 10 minutes later the channels were available on my High Def TV.

I plan to cancel the Sports Package Friday morning, so my cost to watch the URI-Wisconsin game will be like a dollar.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of this. I called Cox this morning and added Sports Package 2 to my service, so I’m good to go. It was simple, but then again, things are usually simpler when companies are taking your money. 😀I’ll probably keep it until Monday, in case they have any decent games this weekend. I saw the PAC 12 Network is also part of this package.

Thanks for putting this out there.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I think the key to this game will be Fatts (shocker) but with 2 points:

1) if he is on and hitting from deep, we win

Or

2) he is not shooting the deep ball, but instead driving and getting to the line/passing to Shepp, we win.

If Fatts is off and forcing up shots we get routed.

We need Fatts to play within himself and be the elite PG/slasher he can be. If he can get into the lane and put that massive Wisconsin front court in foul trouble, we’ll have a very good chance.
I agree with this aspect of the important role Fatts can play in this game. We need him as a playmaker more than a scorer - with a assist to turnover ratio well above 4, the ability to draw fouls and be deadly at the line. We need the Wooden level point guard today.

Wisconsin is a great add to the schedule - just a terrific university in a great city with an Athletics program to match. It would be a dream if we could ever parlay this chance encounter into a future home and home series.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The final sentenced in my prior post stated why the article irked me. Here it Is: "There may be good reasons for not scheduling a final OOC game, but winning/losing against Wisconsin is not one of them." This is my opinion; do you agree or not? Sorry for using the word quote, but Koch is writing here as a reporter and not an opinion writer, so I take what he writes as what DC is saying. As or DC, I'm on record for upgrading his contract now.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago A quote from DC in Wednesday's ProJo irked me. It implied that he night not schedule a final OOC game around Xmas if they were to win against Wisconsin. This comes nowhere close to Cooley's decision to cancel PC's game with URI for many reasons, but it doesn't comport with DC's statement of playing any one, any time, any place. URI has 12 days between games around Christmas. Win or lose against Wisconsin, URI should try to schedule a game against a "quality" opponent if at all possible. DC, don't game the system the way Cooley did, your team will grow stale over 12 days. There may be good reasons for not scheduling a final OOC game, but winning/losing against Wisconsin is not one of them.
Dude, shut up.

I’ll be honest, I first thought “DC Rams had a quote in the Projo?”
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I think the key to this game will be Fatts (shocker) but with 2 points:

Or

2) he is not shooting the deep ball, but instead driving and getting to the line/passing to Shepp, we win.

If Fatts is off and forcing up shots we get routed.

We need Fatts to play within himself and be the elite PG/slasher he can be. If he can get into the lane and put that massive Wisconsin front court in foul trouble, we’ll have a very good chance.
This could be true of a lot of games, depending on the opponent, but is even more true against an opponent of this quality, like Wisconsin. The margin for error is razor thin!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

Unread post by formerlybis »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 3 years ago
formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Hey Ram fans, Badger fan checking in. I really love that we're able to pull this off. Ask me anything.

I think you guys have the gist of our team. We start all seniors, we play slow but efficient offense (usually low turnovers), and with a 100% man defense. We were co-champions of the B1G last year, winning our last 8 games to do it. However, none of our players were either first or second team all-conference. If that's been done before, we couldn't find it. Our ranking was due to having everyone but our 6th man back, plus a pretty good recruiting class.

All starters are capable of "going off" and have at various times in their careers, but none of them are night-in, night-out dominant. All of them shoot 3s, and the number of FGAs is usually nearly evenly distributed among them. There's really another 4 that have played so far from the bench: another senior, a soph and two freshmen.

About Marquette, they were able to get 5 UW players with 2 fouls in the first half, and our coach sits players reflexively in that situation until halftime. Marquette didn't exactly take full advantage, but UW treaded water for a good 5 minutes at the end of the 1st. Marquette really won the game at the foul line with at least 10 more FTAs - not complaining, that's Marquette's game. UW won most of the statistical categories except for that.

Ask away...
What do you want to know about URI?
What should we expect regarding:

Offensive and defensive rebounding
Turnovers, both forcing and committing
Which players will have the most FGAs
Defense - zone, man, or multiple
0 x
Rhody77
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhody77 »

I am not too familiar with Reddit but I trust some of you are.
I have been told if you go on 10 minutes before game time someone usually puts up a link to the game.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago What should we expect regarding:

Just some of my thoughts.

Offensive and defensive rebounding URI is a defense-first team so they don't usually crash the boards all that often on offense. Defensively, the rebounding has been coming around as pieces get familiar with each other and their roles. URI has some length and height.
Turnovers, both forcing and committing URI is usually careful with the ball, some turnovers come with getting cute with passing the ball but not really an issue. The team doesn't turn teams over like they have the past few years but average about 8 steals a game and 8 blocks per game over the last 3 games.
Which players will have the most FGAs Fatts #1 by a lot, then Jeremy Sheppard (who can be a sniper from 3 but a bit streaky), then a good balance of shots attempted from #3 through #10.
Defense - zone, man, or multiple Primarily man but switch up to zone once in a while to throw a different look. Under Dan Hurley, the team lived and died by man defense but Cox really uses zone more often.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago
formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Hey Ram fans, Badger fan checking in. I really love that we're able to pull this off. Ask me anything.

I think you guys have the gist of our team. We start all seniors, we play slow but efficient offense (usually low turnovers), and with a 100% man defense. We were co-champions of the B1G last year, winning our last 8 games to do it. However, none of our players were either first or second team all-conference. If that's been done before, we couldn't find it. Our ranking was due to having everyone but our 6th man back, plus a pretty good recruiting class.

All starters are capable of "going off" and have at various times in their careers, but none of them are night-in, night-out dominant. All of them shoot 3s, and the number of FGAs is usually nearly evenly distributed among them. There's really another 4 that have played so far from the bench: another senior, a soph and two freshmen.

About Marquette, they were able to get 5 UW players with 2 fouls in the first half, and our coach sits players reflexively in that situation until halftime. Marquette didn't exactly take full advantage, but UW treaded water for a good 5 minutes at the end of the 1st. Marquette really won the game at the foul line with at least 10 more FTAs - not complaining, that's Marquette's game. UW won most of the statistical categories except for that.

Ask away...

The rebounding in the first couple of games was not good, not a lot of boxing out going on. Been better the last couple of games.Same thing with our offensive turnovers, getting better. Our guards are good at forcing turnovers. Fatts Russell has been one of the leaders in the country in steals the past couple of years. Guards will also lead in FGAs... specifcally Fatts, Jeremy Sheppard and Jalen Carey (if he plays, he missed the last game). We play mostly man defense, occasionally play zone, but not often.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Our kryptonite against UW will be lack of ball movement, and movement on offense in general. If we throw the ball around the perimeter, without getting any penetration or getting the ball in the paint, and then hoist up threes or have 1 of our guards try to go head down to the hoop we will get throttled. If the ball moves, and we take uncontested threes in the flow of the offense and no one guy tries to do too much, we will be fine in all other facets of the game. Confident we can rebound with them and can contain their outside shooting prowess. But their D can frustrate opponents, and requires patience and decisiveness on offense.

I'll say this - we can beat a team like UW with a floor general type night from Fatts. We don't need 20+. Give me an efficient 12-14 points with 4 assists and 4 steals from Fatts and this is a potential W. Last 2 years we basically needed Fatts to score in high teens or 20+ to beat a team of this caliber. We don't anymore. Now he may still try to do just that, and if that results in low efficiency and a string of bad trips offensively that is where they will thrive. As we get tighter so will their D, and then it will snowball. Have to avoid that scenario at all costs. Will need veteran leadership and smart decision making from Fatts, he has it in him, I hope he shows it in Madison.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Or

If Fatts is off and forcing up shots, we get routed.

Yup!

We need to shoot well and take care of the ball to stay in this game. If Fatts can penetrate and get our team easy shots I like our chances. I'd be shocked if we caused many turnovers against this team, so I don't expect much scoring on the fast break.

Fatts is due for one of his All American type of games. Will it be today??!!

Go Rhody!!!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago

Ask away...

Welcome! Love having visiting fans come to talk hoops.

Rebounding has been a strong point this year. We've been very good at "team rebounding" meaning that even our guards will snag 3 a game.

We run a trio of big men at the 4 and 5 - Walker who's a bouncy 6'7 junior that starts at the 4, and Makhi/Makhel Mitchell (two twins from Maryland that are 6'9 6'10). The Mitchell twins are both 2nd semester freshmen who show tremendous promise and anchor the low post for us.

Turnovers were an issue the first few games, but this team is 80% new. Fatts Russell is our only returning starter this year. He's on the Naismith watch list for good reason. We had 3 starters transfer in, and 1 was sitting out last year for transfer reasons.

We've cut down on TO's during the winning streak. What we do well, is force turnovers, starting with Fatts.

He was 3rd in the country in steals last year. Phenomenally quick hands defensively.

That leads to our style of offense which is running and transition. Since you guys love to play in the half-court, the only way we're going to speed up the game is by forcing turnovers.

Fatts also loves to shoot - and if he's on he's trouble for you. If he's off, he'll still chuck, which is trouble for us. He's honestly at his best when he gets into the lane and draws fouls or passes the ball. Our "best" shooter however is Jeremy Sheppard.

Fatts is 8/28 from deep. Shepp is 7/15. Either way, the offense will go through Fatts.

As for defense Cox has shown he'll run multiple sets depending on if you guys are shooting well or not, but we primarily start out with man.

We also have a rotation that goes 9-10 deep, so I would expect we'll keep man pressure and try to get you out of your half court sets.

The clash in styles will make for an excellent game, I hope.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

Thanks, folks. I'm definitely worried about you guys. Our guards aren't particularly great ball handlers, but they are schooled to be allergic to turnovers-that tends to get you the hook from Gard pretty quick.

It's also interesting about your frontline - where UW usually has a matchup advantage on the offensive end is with 2 really skilled 6'10" guys (Reuvers/Potter). Potter was eligible 2nd semester last year, and UW didn't play with both of them on the floor a lot until the last few games in the season. There's still chatter about whether having both out there is wise defensively, but they might be our two best players offensively, so it's hard to sit one of them.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Thanks, folks. I'm definitely worried about you guys. Our guards aren't particularly great ball handlers, but they are schooled to be allergic to turnovers-that tends to get you the hook from Gard pretty quick.

It's also interesting about your frontline - where UW usually has a matchup advantage on the offensive end is with 2 really skilled 6'10" guys (Reuvers/Potter). Potter was eligible 2nd semester last year, and UW didn't play with both of them on the floor a lot until the last few games in the season. There's still chatter about whether having both out there is wise defensively, but they might be our two best players offensively, so it's hard to sit one of them.
Be ready for a lot of fouls. Three of URI’s front court players foul a lot. Foul trouble could hurt URI tonight.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

K and Stevie MAC with a 10 minute conversation (game preview toward the end):

https://www.kevinmcsports.com/featured/ ... -the-rams/
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just ordered Cox sports pak 2 via chat canx any time confirmed.

$8.50m might hold a bit for ASU hoops and Outside channel has skiing stuff...

If you’re fios pretty sure you’re good to go on 585

Enjoy

Go Rhody

(Please pass the ball to Sheppard)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Just ordered Cox sports pak 2 via chat canx any time confirmed.

Enjoy

Go Rhody

I did the same as well. The people at Cox must be saying what's going on in RI with the Sportspak2 :lol:
0 x
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

URIGONZO wrote: 3 years ago K and Stevie MAC with a 10 minute conversation (game preview toward the end):

https://www.kevinmcsports.com/featured/ ... -the-rams/
Thanks for the link - I think the bespectacled fellow far overestimates Reuvers. If he gets drafted at all, it'll be a surprise. He's a good college player, but if he plays professionally, it'll likely be overseas.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Just ordered Cox sports pak 2 via chat canx any time confirmed.

Enjoy

Go Rhody

I did the same as well. The people at Cox must be saying what's going on in RI with the Sportspak2 :lol:
They get a sale without selling

Kinda like a 🧁 from NJ
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

"BLUERAM'--CONSIDER TURNING OFF YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL THE GAME IS OVER. ESPECIALLY AS COMMENTS RELATE TO HARRIS.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Our kryptonite against UW will be lack of ball movement, and movement on offense in general. If we throw the ball around the perimeter, without getting any penetration or getting the ball in the paint, and then hoist up threes or have 1 of our guards try to go head down to the hoop we will get throttled. If the ball moves, and we take uncontested threes in the flow of the offense and no one guy tries to do too much, we will be fine in all other facets of the game. Confident we can rebound with them and can contain their outside shooting prowess. But their D can frustrate opponents, and requires patience and decisiveness on offense.

I'll say this - we can beat a team like UW with a floor general type night from Fatts. We don't need 20+. Give me an efficient 12-14 points with 4 assists and 4 steals from Fatts and this is a potential W. Last 2 years we basically needed Fatts to score in high teens or 20+ to beat a team of this caliber. We don't anymore. Now he may still try to do just that, and if that results in low efficiency and a string of bad trips offensively that is where they will thrive. As we get tighter so will their D, and then it will snowball. Have to avoid that scenario at all costs. Will need veteran leadership and smart decision making from Fatts, he has it in him, I hope he shows it in Madison.
Totally agree. Fatts needs to get over his offensively-minded "me first" from here on out. He now has the support to do so.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Thanks, folks. I'm definitely worried about you guys. Our guards aren't particularly great ball handlers, but they are schooled to be allergic to turnovers-that tends to get you the hook from Gard pretty quick.

Be ready for a lot of fouls. Three of URI’s front court players foul a lot. Foul trouble could hurt URI tonight.
........must be those BT refs......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago "BLUERAM'--CONSIDER TURNING OFF YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL THE GAME IS OVER. ESPECIALLY AS COMMENTS RELATE TO HARRIS.
I don't believe I have commented on Harris. You have me confused with someone else.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No Harris today. Didn't make the trip. Says he's sick but not Covid.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What are the odds that its Harris.
0 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Bertrand posted an IG story earlier today saying “haven’t eaten in 5 days”. Could be something going around the team, smart to isolate even as just a major precaution
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Harris no, Carey yes:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago What are the odds that its Harris.
100 percent.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Bertrand posted an IG story earlier today saying “haven’t eaten in 5 days”. Could be something going around the team, smart to isolate even as just a major precaution
Could be a stomach thing. Those tend to ravage through locker rooms across all sports. Hopefully the COVID precautions they're taking will prevent any other stuff like this from spreading.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Steve and Don are on 920 AM in Providence area and 104.7 FM in South County today just FYI
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Kid on Kansas was tested like 4 times for Covid last week, always negative, but played vs Kentucky. Looked like Jordans flu game.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If Betrand hasn't eaten in five days that is one helluva stomach bug!

Musta had some bad clams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago No Harris today. Didn't make the trip. Says he's sick but not Covid.
The team flew out this morning from what I understand and the team will return tonight, both charter direct flights. So it is smart to stay home if not feeling well. This is where it is good to be able to play 10 players deep.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Hopefully URI doesn't need Harris' fouls tonight.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Having a Goslings rum and egg nog right now for pregame because watching this game tonight is like an early Christmas
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

cRAM4finals wrote: 3 years ago Having a Goslings rum and egg nog right now for pregame because watching this game tonight is like an early Christmas
That sounds good! I'm going Irish coffee!!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Oh sweet Fatts and Jeremy are juniors again! Big Ten network said so!
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Nice start on the defensive end for Rhody!
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Walker with two blocks to start the game. That's what you like to see.
Except they hit two 3s on us now.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And our 3-point defense is as good as always. /s/
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

We need to start trying to penetrate
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Starting with a Sweetwater 420....
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Figures...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

A kid who can't shoot hits 3/3 from three. Sick.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

And of course the guy who was brought up earlier in this thread (Davidson) starts out with three made 3's
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago A kid who can't shoot hits 3/3 from three. Sick.
It helps when you're literally wide open.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Need a timeout they are getting some good looks, and our offense is stalled.
0 x