12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Unread post by Blue Man »

So based on everything I can see here - this would be the 3rd biggest regular season win of all time - behind Jack Kraft's teams beating #11 San Fran and PC back in the 70s.

Let's go DC - bring it home!!!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

This is such great news !

I have been quiet this year (hooray for the board !)

but my heart still bleeds keaney blue and still watching the games

came on today and saw this great surprise

GO RHODY

i really like the makeup of this team
2 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

So I will be able to watch BTN as long as I have FS1 in my cable subscription?
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

HASwatTeam wrote: 3 years ago So I will be able to watch BTN as long as I have FS1 in my cable subscription?
No your plan needs to specifically have BTN. I have access to FS1 and FS2 but not B10 network.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
HASwatTeam wrote: 3 years ago So I will be able to watch BTN as long as I have FS1 in my cable subscription?
No your plan needs to specifically have BTN. I have access to FS1 and FS2 but not B10 network.
but you *might* be able to watch via the Fox Sports app?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
That's the impression I got but I haven't tried that out.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Depends on your cable package. I have cox, but not the BIG10 network, unless I add it. Also maybe on FuboTv?
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

2 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

That's the impression I got but I haven't tried that out.
This should explain it:

https://btn.com/btn2go-is-now-btn-so-wh ... this-mean/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So it looks like BTN on Cox requires Sports Pack 2. I have Sports Pak 1 so I need an alternative. It looks like a monthly pass for 1 school in the Big 10 on BTN+ is $9.95. What's everyone doing to get this game?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

spookydog wrote: 3 years ago No spread yet on the game but my guess would be Wisconsin by 9.5.
Well, well, well. Guess what this game opened at.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

You tube TV has B10 network. I believe they have a 2 week free trial as well
Last edited by FDshoes 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I have Xfinity. Had to add an additional package at $9.95 a month with the BTN included. Will cancel after game.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Youtube channels
Attachments
Screenshot_20201208-164132_Chrome.jpg
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago So it looks like BTN on Cox requires Sports Pack 2. I have Sports Pak 1 so I need an alternative. It looks like a monthly pass for 1 school in the Big 10 on BTN+ is $9.95. What's everyone doing to get this game?
YouTubeTV has BTN so you could get a free trial and watch it there (assuming they have the same channels where you are - I'm just outside of Boston). Hulu and FuBo also have it (in my zip), so in theory a free trial for any of them.

Incidentally looking this up, Hulu Live tv bundle (Hulu plus live tv, plus espn+ and disney+) is less than YouTubeTV. I'm going to have to switch.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago So it looks like BTN on Cox requires Sports Pack 2. I have Sports Pak 1 so I need an alternative. It looks like a monthly pass for 1 school in the Big 10 on BTN+ is $9.95. What's everyone doing to get this game?
YouTubeTV has BTN so you could get a free trial and watch it there (assuming they have the same channels where you are - I'm just outside of Boston). Hulu and FuBo also have it (in my zip), so in theory a free trial for any of them.

Incidentally looking this up, Hulu Live tv bundle (Hulu plus live tv, plus espn+ and disney+) is less than YouTubeTV. I'm going to have to switch.

How many channels for hulu? Youtube is almost 90 i think i still pay 50 per month currently but need to look next time i get charged.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Thanks Stevie
0 x
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Thanks Stevie
i think what i will do is call Cox tomorrow, add sportpak2, watch the game on fox sports app from work then cancel the following day wit Cox. I think the charge is prorated so wont get hit with fill $10/ month.....not to be cheap...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Martyf250 wrote: 3 years ago

Thanks Stevie
i think what i will do is call Cox tomorrow, add sportpak2, watch the game on fox sports app from work then cancel the following day wit Cox. I think the charge is prorated so wont get hit with fill $10/ month.....not to be cheap...
That's another option as well!
0 x
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

Unread post by formerlybis »

Hey Ram fans, Badger fan checking in. I really love that we're able to pull this off. Ask me anything.

I think you guys have the gist of our team. We start all seniors, we play slow but efficient offense (usually low turnovers), and with a 100% man defense. We were co-champions of the B1G last year, winning our last 8 games to do it. However, none of our players were either first or second team all-conference. If that's been done before, we couldn't find it. Our ranking was due to having everyone but our 6th man back, plus a pretty good recruiting class.

All starters are capable of "going off" and have at various times in their careers, but none of them are night-in, night-out dominant. All of them shoot 3s, and the number of FGAs is usually nearly evenly distributed among them. There's really another 4 that have played so far from the bench: another senior, a soph and two freshmen.

About Marquette, they were able to get 5 UW players with 2 fouls in the first half, and our coach sits players reflexively in that situation until halftime. Marquette didn't exactly take full advantage, but UW treaded water for a good 5 minutes at the end of the 1st. Marquette really won the game at the foul line with at least 10 more FTAs - not complaining, that's Marquette's game. UW won most of the statistical categories except for that.

Ask away...
9 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

I currently have COX service here in Rhode Island.

My currently existing COX cable-TV plan did not include BTN; that is, my currently existing plan with COX did not give me access to channel 489 (BIG10) or to channel 1489 (BIG10HD)

As an existing customer, I called COX (844.260.0426) and added some COX Sports Package that gives me access to the sports channels in the range from 479 through 497.

The cost of the COX Sports Channel package that includes BTN is something like $10 per month. However, the COX Customer Service Rep pointed out that it is actually more like 33 cents per day, since the cost is pro-rated on a daily basis and I can cancel it at anytime without penalty.

I went ahead and signed up for it earlier this afternoon and 5 or 10 minutes later the channels were available on my High Def TV.

I plan to cancel the Sports Package Friday morning, so my cost to watch the URI-Wisconsin game will be like a dollar.
3 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Good for the Cox reps too, they get to say they upsold a customer even if it ends up being a buck when all is said and done. Which is probably few and far between right now in the current streaming climate.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Hey Ram fans, Badger fan checking in. I really love that we're able to pull this off. Ask me anything.

I think you guys have the gist of our team. We start all seniors, we play slow but efficient offense (usually low turnovers), and with a 100% man defense. We were co-champions of the B1G last year, winning our last 8 games to do it. However, none of our players were either first or second team all-conference. If that's been done before, we couldn't find it. Our ranking was due to having everyone but our 6th man back, plus a pretty good recruiting class.

All starters are capable of "going off" and have at various times in their careers, but none of them are night-in, night-out dominant. All of them shoot 3s, and the number of FGAs is usually nearly evenly distributed among them. There's really another 4 that have played so far from the bench: another senior, a soph and two freshmen.

About Marquette, they were able to get 5 UW players with 2 fouls in the first half, and our coach sits players reflexively in that situation until halftime. Marquette didn't exactly take full advantage, but UW treaded water for a good 5 minutes at the end of the 1st. Marquette really won the game at the foul line with at least 10 more FTAs - not complaining, that's Marquette's game. UW won most of the statistical categories except for that.

Ask away...
So the contrasting styles is really going to be interesting. URI loves to run, and run. I think who controls tempo controls the game. Can Rhody get you guys to run? Not sure, but our defense is pretty good. Just looking for a good game all around. We are young as a team, but not as individual players. We are just starting to gel. Looking forward to the game and glad for the opportunity!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Hey Ram fans, Badger fan checking in. I really love that we're able to pull this off. Ask me anything.

Ask away...
Really cool overview. UW looks composed in their games. Veteran team. URI is going to have to play mistake free basketball and have good shot selection to stay in this game. Should be a fun game to watch since their styles seem to be polar opposite.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

Thought I replied to the contrasting pace comment, but I may not have pushed the right buttons...

Basically, I don't really recall any teams speeding up the Badgers over the years. I think it's generally easier to slow a fast team than speed up a slow team. UW doesn't commit nor cause a lot of turnovers, at least normally. Never say never, but this will likely be played at more of a Wisconsin pace.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

For those without BTN, you could grab a trial of YouTube TV, which includes BTN. I think they still offer a 30 day trial.

EDIT: I see someone already suggested this, sorry!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

formerlybis wrote: 3 years ago Thought I replied to the contrasting pace comment, but I may not have pushed the right buttons...

Basically, I don't really recall any teams speeding up the Badgers over the years. I think it's generally easier to slow a fast team than speed up a slow team. UW doesn't commit nor cause a lot of turnovers, at least normally. Never say never, but this will likely be played at more of a Wisconsin pace.
Maybe not speeding up per say but Wisconsin had trouble with Marquette’s quickness. Especially Fr Justin Lewis.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago

How many channels for hulu? Youtube is almost 90 i think i still pay 50 per month currently but need to look next time i get charged.
If you're still paying $50 then keep that quiet. They went up to $65 a few months ago when they added several channels
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed we won’t speed them up. They are a veteran bunch. We have to use our athleticism and speed advantage to get in the paint on offense (versus settling for long threes) and stay even with them on the boards. As I said earlier, this is a stiff stiff test. Complete contrast in styles.

Question for the Badger fan, what’s up with Brad Davison? He started his career with a lot of fanfare and his production has seemingly gone down every year.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Agreed we won’t speed them up. They are a veteran bunch. We have to use our athleticism and speed advantage to get in the paint on offense (versus settling for long threes) and stay even with them on the boards. As I said earlier, this is a stiff stiff test. Complete contrast in styles.

Question for the Badger fan, what’s up with Brad Davison? He started his career with a lot of fanfare and his production has seemingly gone down every year.
Brad Davison is still in college?!

Good lord he’s approaching Perry Ellie’s levels.
0 x
Go Rhody
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

As a URI grad (and Michigan State fan due to family), the announcement of this matchup really excited me. I've seen close to 50 MSU-Wisky games over the years, and besides what has been discussed above regarding the tempo, is that Wisconsin is incredible at guarding without fouling. The discipline they have on the defensive end is really a testament to the coaching and system they have in place that seemingly has carried on from the Dick Bennett days. Very interested to see how we do against them tomorrow in terms of getting to the foul line as we have lived there our first 5 games (and is something I love about the dynamic of this team). If we can get out in transition and get some easy baskets, it'll make up for what will be an absolute grind in the half-court offense where getting into the paint and drawing fouls can be tough against any Wisky team, never mind one that has this much experience. Hoping for an upset, but I really do see this being a close game deep into the 2nd half. Go Rhody!
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Saturday March 19, 1988 URI 97 #9 Syracuse 94
Watched that game in my barracks in Germany. Picked Rhody to go to the Sweet 16 in my bracket. It was a great game.
That must have been AMAZING. And thank you for your service.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URIGONZO wrote: 3 years ago Did someone say Paul Pierce last college game???? Check out my picture!!!

Does Big 10 Network come in on ESPN+ ?? What do i have to do to get it?
I just ordered it via chat (Cox) - SportsPak2....10 minute or so chat...all set....watching Minnesota Michigan hockey (not).
1 x
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Agreed we won’t speed them up. They are a veteran bunch. We have to use our athleticism and speed advantage to get in the paint on offense (versus settling for long threes) and stay even with them on the boards. As I said earlier, this is a stiff stiff test. Complete contrast in styles.

Nothing's wrong with Davison - he's really the unquestioned leader and coach on the floor. He was never going to be an NBA prospect. He did take more of the scoring lead at the beginning of his career, but as the other players developed - particularly Trice, who was injured for most of Davison's freshman year - he slid over to the shooting guard and he didn't have to be option A. I looked back to last year's game logs, and he had 3 games in a row in single digits followed by a 30 point outburst. He had an incredible sequence in the Maryland game last year - UW was behind with 12 seconds left and Maryland had the ball out of bounds after a made UW basket. He deflected the inbounds pass off the Maryland inbounder, giving the ball back to UW. UW subsequently ran a play to inbound the ball to him and he knocked down a 3 to take the lead.

Other teams hate him, though. And even some of our own fans because he does try to take a lot of charges.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

He is. And oddly he’s averaging 6ppg in 20 minutes/game as a senior after averaging 12 in 30 minutes/game as a frosh. Not the typical career trajectory.
0 x
formerlybis
Jim Eitner

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

He is. And oddly he’s averaging 6ppg in 20 minutes/game as a senior after averaging 12 in 30 minutes/game as a frosh. Not the typical career trajectory.
It's early this season - there were 3 cupcakes where he wasn't needed, and he was saddled with foul trouble against Marquette. He'll be a major contributor on this team.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I really hate that we are playing them right after their Marquette loss.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I really hate that we are playing them right after their Marquette loss.
agree
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I can watch replays of 1 handed, no look passes like these over and over again.
Hope we pass well today. Passing, defense and running key to beating a team like Wisconsin.

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A quote from DC in Wednesday's ProJo irked me. It implied that he night not schedule a final OOC game around Xmas if they were to win against Wisconsin. This comes nowhere close to Cooley's decision to cancel PC's game with URI for many reasons, but it doesn't comport with DC's statement of playing any one, any time, any place. URI has 12 days between games around Christmas. Win or lose against Wisconsin, URI should try to schedule a game against a "quality" opponent if at all possible. DC, don't game the system the way Cooley did, your team will grow stale over 12 days. There may be good reasons for not scheduling a final OOC game, but winning/losing against Wisconsin is not one of them.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

What's going on Waldorf? you've made a couple of reasonable observations recently. Less pessimism than I'm used to from you.

I agree and share your opinion, there may be good reasons to not play a game in that time frame but w/l to Wisconsin shouldn't be one of them.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago A quote from DC in Wednesday's ProJo irked me. It implied that he night not schedule a final OOC game around Xmas if they were to win against Wisconsin. This comes nowhere close to Cooley's decision to cancel PC's game with URI for many reasons, but it doesn't comport with DC's statement of playing any one, any time, any place. URI has 12 days between games around Christmas. Win or lose against Wisconsin, URI should try to schedule a game against a "quality" opponent if at all possible. DC, don't game the system the way Cooley did, your team will grow stale over 12 days. There may be good reasons for not scheduling a final OOC game, but winning/losing against Wisconsin is not one of them.
Usually we have a lengthy break in December because of final exams. Is that not a consideration this year?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Ask away...
What do you want to know about URI?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Wake up Rhody. It’s game day! Obstacle or opportunity? #GoRhody.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago A quote from DC in Wednesday's ProJo irked me. It implied that he night not schedule a final OOC game around Xmas if they were to win against Wisconsin. This comes nowhere close to Cooley's decision to cancel PC's game with URI for many reasons, but it doesn't comport with DC's statement of playing any one, any time, any place. URI has 12 days between games around Christmas. Win or lose against Wisconsin, URI should try to schedule a game against a "quality" opponent if at all possible. DC, don't game the system the way Cooley did, your team will grow stale over 12 days. There may be good reasons for not scheduling a final OOC game, but winning/losing against Wisconsin is not one of them.
Dude, shut up.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......days of lay off?.......stay positive test negative, study, exams, get game healthy, watch film etc......if they must, call Bryant....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see a quote from David Cox. I read wording from Bill Koch which appears to be his own opinion versus coming from David Cox.

I don't see why this should irk you regardless.

David Cox and staff have done a phenomenal job with scheduling. Absolutely phenomenal.

It's up to David Cox and staff to decide what they want to do with the gap between Dec 18 and Dec 30. I trust 100% in what David Cox is doing with scheduling this season. What he decides from now to the St Bonaventure game I have total trust in. To me he and his staff have already won the Oscar for D1 OOC Scheduling in a Pandemic regardless of what happens in the upcoming few weeks.

URI has another 12-day gap in its schedule between Atlantic 10 games against Davidson on Dec. 18 and St. Bonaventure on Dec. 30. The Rams could shop for one more non-conference opponent depending upon the outcome of this trip to face the Badgers. A statement victory could persuade URI’s staff that it’s done enough through six games to take its chances in league play.

“If it makes sense, we’ll look to add one more,” Cox said. “I think we’ve had a pretty strong non-conference schedule thus far.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 493267002/
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think the key to this game will be Fatts (shocker) but with 2 points:

1) if he is on and hitting from deep, we win

Or

2) he is not shooting the deep ball, but instead driving and getting to the line/passing to Shepp, we win.

If Fatts is off and forcing up shots we get routed.

We need Fatts to play within himself and be the elite PG/slasher he can be. If he can get into the lane and put that massive Wisconsin front court in foul trouble, we’ll have a very good chance.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
I don't see a quote from David Cox. I read wording from Bill Koch.

I don't see why this should irk you regardless.

David Cox and staff have done a phenomenal job with scheduling. Absolutely phenomenal.

It's up to David Cox and staff to decide what they want to do with the gap between Dec 18 and Dec 30. I trust 100% in what David Cox is doing with scheduling this season. What he decides from now to the St Bonaventure game I have total trust in. To me he and his staff have already won the Oscar for D1 OOC Scheduling in a Pandemic regardless of what happens in the upcoming few weeks.

URI has another 12-day gap in its schedule between Atlantic 10 games against Davidson on Dec. 18 and St. Bonaventure on Dec. 30. The Rams could shop for one more non-conference opponent depending upon the outcome of this trip to face the Badgers. A statement victory could persuade URI’s staff that it’s done enough through six games to take its chances in league play.

“If it makes sense, we’ll look to add one more,” Cox said. “I think we’ve had a pretty strong non-conference schedule thus far.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 493267002/
Yeah I don't take it that way. "If it makes sense" meaning both teams playing etc. Plus there's the Covid risk as well. One of the reasons we're a desirable opponent is because we haven't had an infection issue. If you do, it shuts you down for 2 weeks.

If Mt St Mary's said come play us across the country, that probably doesn't make sense for the risk/reward to fly to California.

Cox is right to take that approach, and is completely unlike Cooley because a) he's not saying he'd cancel an already scheduled game, and b) he's not saying he wouldn't play a rival.

Cooley is a bitch because he backed out of an already scheduled rivalry game because he was scared to lose. Rivalry games are different than building a schedule. Rivalry games are games that every school finds a way to play, even in a pandemic. Cooley claimed he was cancelling because of virus concerns, but then scheduled a really shitty Q4 team from 3 states away.

Please never put Dave Cox and Ed Cooley in the same sentence again unless you are saying "is more handsome than" or "is a better coach than" or "is a bigger man than" in between them.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL