PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
woodennickel1
ARD

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
JFrech21 wrote: 3 years ago NCAA Tournament Wins since 2000:

La Salle: 3
George Washington: 1
Providence: 1

NCAA FINAL FOURS PROVIDENCE- 2 ATLANTIC 10 - 2
Fixed that for ya.
BOOM!!!

#whoduckin
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 3 years ago
79RhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago

So your going to compare PC to the likes of George Washington, Fordham and LaSalle. Don't know if you are serious or not but if you are it definitely points to a lack of knowledge of college basketball.
Nickel how do you defend Cooley being afraid to play URI, seriously what kind of coach says he needs an easier game on his schedule. It does not instill confidence in your team to back out of a game because you are afraid you might lose. I would thank that would upset Friar nation. I would think the players want this game and the fan base want this game for bragging rights. But your coach is afraid of losing so he backs out. I would think someone in Friartown would call Cooley out on this. I know if the shoe was on the other foot and Cox backed out because he was afraid of losing this board would be going crazy. But we don't have to worry about that because Cox isn't a big pussy like Cooley. Cox will play anyone!!!
I don't agree with it and thought the game should have been played. Although after watching them play the first few games I guess I can understand his concern but still think you need to play the game. I have heard from some people that URI wanted it to be PC home game but don't know if that is true. If it is then that would be the only reason I would side with Cooley.
That was not true.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Nickel how do you defend Cooley being afraid to play URI, seriously what kind of coach says he needs an easier game on his schedule. It does not instill confidence in your team to back out of a game because you are afraid you might lose. I would thank that would upset Friar nation. I would think the players want this game and the fan base want this game for bragging rights. But your coach is afraid of losing so he backs out. I would think someone in Friartown would call Cooley out on this. I know if the shoe was on the other foot and Cox backed out because he was afraid of losing this board would be going crazy. But we don't have to worry about that because Cox isn't a big pussy like Cooley. Cox will play anyone!!!
I don't agree with it and thought the game should have been played. Although after watching them play the first few games I guess I can understand his concern but still think you need to play the game. I have heard from some people that URI wanted it to be PC home game but don't know if that is true. If it is then that would be the only reason I would side with Cooley.
That was not true.
And you can prove it ?
Q1
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I don't know if anyone can prove it, but it has been said many times that URI was willing to allow PC to have the home game next season (effectively not counting this season as a PC home game). The fact that driscoll and bjorn came out and claimed they couldn't find a good date, then PC scheduled FDU for the same weekend after the fact, makes the "can't agree on a date" statement an obvious ruse (why Bjorn agreed to a joint statement on this is beyond me). Give these facts I'm not willing to give Cooley the benefit of the doubt here.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was not true.
And you can prove it ?
Q1
This information could have and should have been obtained from our sports reporters (Koch, McNamara, Channel 10, Channel 12, Etc etc. they just take notes and report what Is said. No exploratory questions.
Cooley, Driscoll, Bjorn and Cox all came out saying they couldn’t agree on a date. That was not the reason the game was cancelled, I can assure you that.
I know it wasn’t about URI insisting next years game would have to be at the Ryan Center. That is NOT why this game is not being played.

Get your local Sports Journalists to ask any of the 4 people mentioned: Cooley, Driscoll, Bjorn and/or Cox and see what they say.
But nobody will ask.
It’s Not because of URI. Cooley has told you in so many words when he decided not to play this game. Listen to Cooley’s Video I posted earlier.
RJSuperfly has stated why PC backed out as well

#whoduckin
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So your going to compare PC to the likes of George Washington, Fordham and LaSalle. Don't know if you are serious or not but if you are it definitely points to a lack of knowledge of college basketball.
Patently false. URI would've played a neutral site game and allowed PC to collect the gate next year.

It was a chicken-shit move to use the "pandemic" as an excuse to duck their in-season rival. They forced URI into a PR corner to "applaud' them for putting "health and safety" first.

They scheduled a team from a Covid hot-zone, as well as are getting on a plane to travel to Texas, rather than playing the team from 20 minutes down the road.

It is the lowest, pussiest, most shameful thing I've ever seen in sports. There is no honor, pride, or courage to be seen from ducking a rival no matter how good or bad your team is.

To say PC doesn't "need" to play URI is absolute horseshit - no one "needs" to play college basketball either. This isn't a needs-based endeavor. It's entertainment. In the context of sports it is wholly unbecoming and send the absolute wrong message to fans and players.

PC backed down from a challenge and will forever be the biggest pussies I've ever seen in sports. I would rather URI lose by 50 to PC than duck them any year. I would be on Cox's or Thorr's front doorstep if the shoe was on the other foot.

It's pathetic. The fact that your fan base isn't frothing at the mouth and demanding Cooley or Driscoll's head on a proverbial spike for displaying that you are too cowardly and scared to risk losing a game to your biggest rival is very telling of the lot of you.

I wish you all the worst this season and hope you do a phenomenal job embarrassing your chicken shit, cowardly athletic program.
13 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Patently false. URI would've played a neutral site game and allowed PC to collect the gate next year.

It was a chicken-shit move to use the "pandemic" as an excuse to duck their in-season rival. They forced URI into a PR corner to "applaud' them for putting "health and safety" first.

They scheduled a team from a Covid hot-zone, as well as are getting on a plane to travel to Texas, rather than playing the team from 20 minutes down the road.

It is the lowest, pussiest, most shameful thing I've ever seen in sports. There is no honor, pride, or courage to be seen from ducking a rival no matter how good or bad your team is.

To say PC doesn't "need" to play URI is absolute horseshit - no one "needs" to play college basketball either. This isn't a needs-based endeavor. It's entertainment. In the context of sports it is wholly unbecoming and send the absolute wrong message to fans and players.

PC backed down from a challenge and will forever be the biggest pussies I've ever seen in sports. I would rather URI lose by 50 to PC than duck them any year. I would be on Cox's or Thorr's front doorstep if the shoe was on the other foot.

It's pathetic. The fact that your fan base isn't frothing at the mouth and demanding Cooley or Driscoll's head on a proverbial spike for displaying that you are too cowardly and scared to risk losing a game to your biggest rival is very telling of the lot of you.

I wish you all the worst this season and hope you do a phenomenal job embarrassing your chicken shit, cowardly athletic program.
Agreed BM. I can see random rubber things being lofted at Cooley in 2022.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ddn-duck.jpg
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck.
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Agreed BM. I can see random rubber things being lofted at Cooley in 2022.
Well said Blue Man. Absolutely right.

Imagine the message Cooley and Driscoll have sent to the PC Players, PC coaching Staff and PC Players Families/Friends!
Nuts to be flying to Fort Worth Texas with Rhode Island COVID Cases increasing at unprecedented rates.
Nuts to be playing FDU tomorrow when they could have been playing URI tonight as was scheduled.
Hope the players and coaches enjoy FDU tomorrow. Who cares.
Cooley is the most over-rated Head Coach in College Basketball. Glad he is at PC forever.

#whoduckin
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

This is to confirm that "RAMSTERS" explanation of what led up to PC's cancellation is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I got the story from an impeccable source!!
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

What BlueMan said.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago This is to confirm that "RAMSTERS" explanation of what led up to PC's cancellation is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I got the story from an impeccable source!!
Thank you.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago This is to confirm that "RAMSTERS" explanation of what led up to PC's cancellation is ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I got the story from an impeccable source!!
Thank you.
I disagree with your Covid takes, but you are the hero we need when it comes to URI/PC news. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
Thank you.
I disagree with your Covid takes, but you are the hero we need when it comes to URI/PC news. ;)
:D :D
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ed Cooley read this. Hope you watched the #4 Ranked Wisconsin vs Marquette Rivalry game.
Friday Night December 4. FS1 National TV.
Tremendous game and finish.
Same day as URI vs PC was scheduled for.

77 miles, 75 minute drive separates the schools
100 year rivalry.

Enjoy FDU today instead.

After your dismal performance at Maui getting crushed by Alabama and Indiana combined with your decision to drop URI for FDU simply strengthens my belief that you are the most overrated And overpaid HC in D1 Basketball.

#whoducken

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The same night we were supposed to play a rivalry game.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Watch Andy Katz interview Freshman for Marquette who tapped in the missed Ft. he talks about the rivalry of Marquette and Wisconsin.

#whoducken

0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Like I said I agree the game should have been played and as a PC fan it is truly embarrassing. Always have liked Cooley but this was a bs move.
9 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

There will be an increase in FDU Knights fans today.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago There will be an increase in FDU Knights fans today.
Maybe moreso...if the game were important enough to be on TV....
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is an article in the today's Projo about the URI-PC game that would have taken place in and around now until Ed Cooley killed it and deprived the college hoops fans of RI.

Bill Koch: Air ball: PC-URI missed out on perfect time for annual game
https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 822687001/
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ed Cooley is flat out stupid in believing that ducking URI was in the best interest of the PC basketball program. Does he really think that the NCAA tournament selection committee is not going to hold it against his program that he canceled out playing a scheduled game versus a quality, local, rivalry opponent during this pandemic and then scheduled a game against a weak team from NJ? This epitomizes unforgivable poor sportsmanship and a transparent attempt to game the tournament selection system. PC had better hope that they are not on the bubble come selection Sunday. David Cox has every right to keep this transgression in the minds of the college basketball community. Cooley is lucky that fans will not be at today's game or he would face the rightful indignation of his own fan base. I guess fryers really are chickens!
7 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago There will be an increase in FDU Knights fans today.
Maybe moreso...if the game were important enough to be on TV....
PC doesn't like TV revenue (they would've got playing URI).
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago There is an article in the today's Projo about the URI-PC game that would have taken place in and around now until Ed Cooley killed it and deprived the college hoops fans of RI.

Bill Koch: Air ball: PC-URI missed out on perfect time for annual game
https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 822687001/
Blah, Blah, Blah

Don’t speculate and try to interpret what Cox was insinuating. Just ask him straight up. What are you afraid of? That he might not tell you?

Just ask Cooley straight up. So he will get mad. Maybe doesn’t give another interview for a while. The statement from all 4 was that a date couldn’t be found. That was a lie. Cox has come as close as any of the 4 to speaking his mind. Good for him.

I don’t get the trying to beat around the bushes. Cooley, Cox, Thorr and Driscoll could all tell the fans the truth and avoid articles like these that just try to interpret.

Can’t wait til next year when Bill Koch once again is critical of fan attendance at URI

Just look back at decisions like this and how they impact fan appreciation, loyalty and enthusiasm.

I don’t care if URI ever plays PC again. Seriously. This is how they treat the fans. 35 miles apart. Low risk of COVID.

FDU plays today. Then traveling to Ft Worth for mediocre TCU.

4-5 years ago I said I’d take Dan Hurley over Ed Cooley as a coach. I got blasted. Dan Hurley had the infamous JimBaron2.0 abysmal thread that got locked.

I take Dan Hurley over the vastly overrated Ed Cooley all day long - as I said 5 years ago.

I’d also take David Cox over Cooley all day long as well.

Time for URI to dump playing PC and move on to other opponents.

The decision to cancel this game is as bad as the PawSox moving to Worcester. Terrible decisions. Horrible for Rhode Island Sports Fans. Both decisions due to selfishness of People in charge.

Canceling the game was a horrible decision and looks worse as time goes on. Nobody challenges the great Cooley. The press gushes over him. David Cox is the only one to call out the decision. Unless you count a few posters here and done even on the 247Friars board.

#whoducken
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Ed Cooley is flat out stupid in believing that ducking URI was in the best interest of the PC basketball program. Does he really think that the NCAA tournament selection committee is not going to hold it against his program that he canceled out playing a scheduled game versus a quality, local, rivalry opponent during this pandemic and then scheduled a game against a weak team from NJ?
Here’s your answer in five words: Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PC currently tied with 0-3 Fairleigh Dicksinon (Ranked 262 in Kenpom) 4min left in the first half. Yikes.

Fordham is the lowest ranked A10 team in Kenpom at #161 for reference
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

pc tied at half with the powerhouse Farleigh Dickinson. They hope to regroup at half and win this important game come tourney time.LOL
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PC has one assist in the first half.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

They’d be in a world of hurt without Watson.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll bet PC's own players weren't happy with Cooley's decision.

The way they played the 1st half, it looks like they don't give a shit about today's game.

I also don't care if we ever play them again...or at least until after Cooley gets canned which he will someday.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They got a win but it wasn’t impressive
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's easy to see why Cooley ducked us. We would have smoked them.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Listen to this clown!!!

0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Yeah because PC is definitely gonna compete for a Big East championship this year based on how they look.....what a clown
1 x
Clapton is God
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Listen to this clown!!!

WOW. This guy, who was once an assistant coach at URI is a fucking prick!!!!!!
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We have to do what’s right for PeeCee! WAA!!
Like their going to learn a lot out of beating up on a cup cake!What an ass hat!!! PUSSY!!!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......when they go low, we go high......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Cooley is a dick.

I swear I hope Cox and Thor see what Cooley and Pee Cee think of URI. I’m all for the game and the Rivalry is huge but next year URI better not bow down to play Pee Cee. Don’t give into any of there demands. Keep scheduling the way URI has been. Play the Boston College’s, seton hall, etc.
URI can play better teams then Pee Cee.
They days of URI begging teams to play 2 for 1 are long over.
They are good enough to schedule 1 for 1

The sun doesn’t rise with Pee Cee.
They are sinking themself and there fanbase. Let them.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I always thought he was a putz.. what a pompous ass.. he doesn't care about uri but he dreads playing in kingston and pulls out this year. Good riddance you buffoon.. takes my dislike for pc to another level.. amazed at the arrogance of someone who hasn't won anything.. keep living in your dream world cooley.. hope we never see you again😘👋👋
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Some people.just don't care about tradition and it's clear that Cooley is one of those people. He ducks Brown, ducks URI, plays a cupcake OOC schedule and rides the coattails of the Big East. It is what it is.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It always amazes me when people get a million dollars in their bank account and think they are king. Dude was an up and coming assistant coach at URI not too long ago. Now, he thinks he's god. FU Cooley. pc keep paying this asshat the money. Cause I know you love the product.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a joke
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago Some people.just don't care about tradition and it's clear that Cooley is one of those people. He ducks Brown, ducks URI, plays a cupcake OOC schedule and rides the coattails of the Big East. It is what it is.
.......yes, exactly for me, and then I ask of our posters, we will just on the bus to the Dump in 2021........?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago Some people.just don't care about tradition and it's clear that Cooley is one of those people. He ducks Brown, ducks URI, plays a cupcake OOC schedule and rides the coattails of the Big East. It is what it is.
.......yes, exactly for me, and then I ask of our posters, we will just on the bus to the Dump in 2021........?
I don't go to that shithole anymore. Not in over a decade.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Surprised Eddie C even knows where Kingston is
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
I don't go to that shithole anymore. Not in over a decade.
......What I meant was, our TEAM will just get on the bus to PC next season......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

This isn't about whether the road for a BE championship goes thru Kingston, Ed.

The Game, rivalry, biggest game of the Year in RI is a big deal in RI... however one can characterize it, is a very big deal. It is bigger than either school's agenda. From what I can tell there have been 130 game splayed between the two schools (please correct me on this as it was taken from an article from last year).

During a time where a global pandemic is forcing the cancelations of many things people look forward to (weddings, holidays with family/friends, going out to eat, working out at gym, getting a haircut, taking a trip somewhere, etc, etc, etc.) this game would have meant even MORE in 2020.
It was certainly more important than PC's or Ed's opinion of how valued the game is to get closer to X championship.

Either Ed is completely out of touch with what this game means to RI'ers, purposely avoiding URI, or lying about whether the game is a rivalry.

Ed, this game is BIGGER than you. No one person, team, school should dictate whether the game gets played or not, for whatever reason you can come up with. It was here before you arrived at PC and it will be here once you are gone from PC.

Just not in 2020 - a time when it would have been appreciated and needed more than any previous game between the two schools.

I nominate ED as the Grinch who stole Basketball.

Sincerely,
a guy who passed thru RI during the 1980's
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Can you imagine having this douche as the head coach of your team?? “The championship of the Big East does not go through Kingston” You’re right Ed, any educated college basketball fan knows the championship of the Big East goes through Fairleigh Dickinson. LOL. What a cowardly tool.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC sucks. Reeves is horrible. They have two good players - Watson and Duke. The starting five was 0-13 from three today. Bynum (their savior at PG) can’t shoot. He was the only starter without an assist today. Bynum had 3 points and Reeves had 2 (FG 0-5). This is against a Faileigh weak team.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”