Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese moved up to a P5 conference and started. He wasn't happy enough at URI to stay. I wish him well. URI is moving on without him. No need to bash Tyrese for the decision he made.
Even though I still have hard feeling against Hurley I find myself supporting Tyrese. The way our team as played so far makes it much easier to support his departure and even though I don’t think Toppin would fit in nearly as well with our current team I’m still having ill wishes for him. I guess I jut have more respect for Tyrese returning to Hurley while Toppin runs off to chase the lights
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am disappointed in both of them for leaving...they would have been the focal point for Rhody for the next couple of years.....and for JToppin a bit longer....
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I was disappointed when they left as well...but in hindsight I think we are better off with what replaced them. So all is well.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I was more bummed when Toppin left...but thanks to Ish...I'm pretty much over it.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I put Tyrese and Toppin in the same category, but different from the category where I put players like Mehki Long, Omar Silverio, even a Mike Powell who leave the program because they wanted more playing time and didn't feel comfortable with their prospects.

But that is not the case for Martin and Toppin who were both getting strong minutes and had bright prospects. Remember Jacob made his decision to leave before the new recruits/transfers were announced. I know this kind of transfer happens all the time, but I don't like it because to me it represents a rejection of Cox, a rejection of the program, a rejection of URI as an institution and a rejection of the supporters when what I want to see are players with deep loyalties.

I don't have a personal animus toward Toppin or Martin and they have a right to follow their dreams, but you're not going to see me rooting for them because it would confirm their rejection and would set a bad precedent. You didn't see a player like EC pull a stunt like this and, moreover, how would you like it if players like Leggett take a similar cue?
6 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago I put Tyrese and Toppin in the same category, but different from the category where I put players like Mehki Long, Omar Silverio, even a Mike Powell who leave the program because they wanted more playing time and didn't feel comfortable with their prospects.

But that is not the case for Martin and Toppin who were both getting strong minutes and had bright prospects. Remember Jacob made his decision to leave before the new recruits/transfers were announced. I know this kind of transfer happens all the time, but I don't like it because to me it represents a rejection of Cox, a rejection of the program, a rejection of URI as an institution and a rejection of the supporters when what I want to see are players with deep loyalties.

I don't have a personal animus toward Toppin or Martin and they have a right to follow their dreams, but you're not going to see me rooting for them because it would confirm their rejection and would set a bad precedent. You didn't see a player like EC pull a stunt like this and, moreover, how would you like it if players like Leggett take a similar cue?
Well said. I feel the same way. Why would I root for players who displayed zero loyalty towards URI? Makes no sense. I’m not wishing them failure, but I’m certainly not rooting for their success either.

Makes me appreciate a player like Fatts even more. He could have easily bolted when Hurley did, but he stuck with us to see this thing through. I hope that loyalty is rewarded with another tourney bid.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago I put Tyrese and Toppin in the same category, but different from the category where I put players like Mehki Long, Omar Silverio, even a Mike Powell who leave the program because they wanted more playing time and didn't feel comfortable with their prospects.

Agree. Both players left expecting to sit out a year. Martin left because his shooting coach at home convinced him that he needed better competition to improve and more exposure to make the NBA. Toppin left because he was in awe of a program like Kentucky - "everyone goes to the show from Kentucky". What Toppin missed is that his brother could've left Dayton after his Fr year to a top P5 school but instead he stayed at Dayton became POY and a lottery pick. It was right in front of Jacob's face and he couldn't see it. Jacob would've developed into a top player at URI. He also missed that Kentucky recruits a new starting five every year of top 25 recruits. If Clarke goes pro after his Fr year (it looks like he needs 2 years of college to me), another top 10 SF will commit to Cal and Toppin will be behind him next year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

Agree. Both players left expecting to sit out a year. Martin left because his shooting coach at home convinced him that he needed better competition to improve and more exposure to make the NBA. Toppin left because he was in awe of a program like Kentucky - "everyone goes to the show from Kentucky". What Toppin missed is that his brother could've left Dayton after his Fr year to a top P5 school but instead he stayed at Dayton became POY and a lottery pick. It was right in front of Jacob's face and he couldn't see it. Jacob would've developed into a top player at URI. He also missed that Kentucky recruits a new starting five every year of top 25 recruits. If Clarke goes pro after his Fr year (it looks like he needs 2 years of college to me), another top 10 SF will commit to Cal and Toppin will be behind him next year.
I agree with you regarding the Kentucky situation, but the issue is that players don’t feel that way. They know there are only so many minutes to go around, but they feel they will be part of the group that gets the minutes. Why wouldn’t they feel that way, when people have been telling them how good they are for years. Athletes do need confidence to perform, but it can be a double edge sword. You can overrate your abilities and put yourself in a tough situation. We have a couple of years to see how this one plays out.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Well said. I feel the same way. Why would I root for players who displayed zero loyalty towards URI? Makes no sense. I’m not wishing them failure, but I’m certainly not rooting for their success either.

Makes me appreciate a player like Fatts even more. He could have easily bolted when Hurley did, but he stuck with us to see this thing through. I hope that loyalty is rewarded with another tourney bid.
[/quote]

100 percent agree.. this is why I like the college game more than the pros.. really enjoy watching players grow in their 4 years wearing the 🐏🐏 uniform. It's not going to be the same for me with all the player movement. Although if it helps us improve as a program I guess I can get use to it.. I do like winning a lot.. 🏀🍺🍺
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago ...

Do you know what the “5” in P5 represents?
Oops!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I agree with all 5 of you (starting with Obi).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

100%.

Even Dan leaving, which I took personally at the time, I can make peace with because it’s how life works - people will (and mostly should) maximize their earning potential in their careers. They have commitments to their families that run deeper than their commitments to an employer or a fan base. But with players who made the move that Toppin and Martin did, it’s a total slap in the face. At least theoretically they are getting “paid” the same amount wherever they play. So it’s almost impossible to see their move as anything but an insult to URI basketball and everything attached to it. No respect at all for it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN beats down DePaul 21 led by Tyrese Martin's game high 22 points and game high 10 rebounds (tied with Carlton) in 31 minutes. Game high 5 offensive rebounds which was always a strength for Martin
9-15 FG, 2-3 on 3FG, 2-2 FT for 22 points
3 assists, zero turnovers

Could Martin end up being Dan Hurley's best player? or 2nd best? Good effort tonight.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He played great and him and Bouknight are a good combo
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Great column on Tyrese: https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffja ... 838072.php

Martin made it clear in a preseason Zoom call in October that he was happy at Rhode Island. He called it a great experience. He said coach David Cox is family. He averaged 12.8 points and 7.1 rebounds on a good team last season. He also talked about going home to Allentown, Pa., when COVID hit last March and making a difficult decision to transfer. Rhode Island and the A-10 certainly isn’t chopped liver. Still, he wanted more. He looked at Oregon and a couple of SEC schools.

He chose to join the coach who had successfully recruited him in the fall of 2017 and left for UConn in the spring of 2018 before his own arrival in Kingston. He called UConn a higher level.

“I just feel like it was the fastest way for me to be the player I need to be and help my family out as soon as possible, get to that next level,” Martin said in October. “And that the playing at a bigger school in the right system for me would help that.”
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 3 years ago Great column on Tyrese: https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffja ... 838072.php

Martin made it clear in a preseason Zoom call in October that he was happy at Rhode Island. He called it a great experience. He said coach David Cox is family. He averaged 12.8 points and 7.1 rebounds on a good team last season. He also talked about going home to Allentown, Pa., when COVID hit last March and making a difficult decision to transfer. Rhode Island and the A-10 certainly isn’t chopped liver. Still, he wanted more. He looked at Oregon and a couple of SEC schools.

He chose to join the coach who had successfully recruited him in the fall of 2017 and left for UConn in the spring of 2018 before his own arrival in Kingston. He called UConn a higher level.

“I just feel like it was the fastest way for me to be the player I need to be and help my family out as soon as possible, get to that next level,” Martin said in October. “And that the playing at a bigger school in the right system for me would help that.”
I’d still like to know what his slimy, slithering snake of a coach did to poach him. Screw them and all the Storrs Leg-humpers.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 3 years ago Great column on Tyrese: https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffja ... 838072.php

I’d still like to know what his slimy, slithering snake of a coach did to poach him. Screw them and all the Storrs Leg-humpers.
Going to UConn was gonna help him with a better contract overseas?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He could have been a star at Rhody probably leading us in scoring this year with Fatts struggling but I don’t blame the kid for leaving
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bouknight by all indications is going NBA after this season, so Martin might end up being their best player.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Let’s not sit here and try to pretend we know what’s best for any college athlete. Tyrese moved up on competition and is still showing up, good for him. You’re allowed to be happy for him as a person and an athlete. Sucks he’s not here anymore but be a human please
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

Let’s not sit here and try to pretend we know what’s best for any college athlete. Tyrese moved up on competition and is still showing up, good for him. You’re allowed to be happy for him as a person and an athlete. Sucks he’s not here anymore but be a human please
Humans? Here?

Good one! :lol:
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I don't see the point of dismissing or rooting against the kids that leave. It sucks but it's the reality of today's college sports. Kids are going to do what they do.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago I don't see the point of dismissing or rooting against the kids that leave. It sucks but it's the reality of today's college sports. Kids are going to do what they do.
Exactly. And people think it was bad before? We’re in a whole new world with the free transfer rule. This board is going to explode at some point.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago I don't see the point of dismissing or rooting against the kids that leave. It sucks but it's the reality of today's college sports. Kids are going to do what they do.
Exactly. And people think it was bad before? We’re in a whole new world with the free transfer rule. This board is going to explode at some point.
You don’t need to root for players that transfer out, but, to me, it’s a bad look if you root against them: comes across as petty. Some just want more playing time. Others, agree with them or not, feel moving to another school will increase their chances of playing in the NBA.
I don’t know if any of you have young kids, but I feel bad for them. The odds of kids watching and rooting for their favorite player for four years have diminished.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm not human, thank you.

I dont mind seeing him do well. I dont hate UConn because ill always love Danny.

Otherwise I'm more than happy to roll with Malik from now on.

Either way he ain't going to the NBA so, yeah I guess he's going to get a contract in Spain or Greece now instead of Turkey or Ukraine?

Just sayin its a bit of a slap in the face. Big East not that different than the A-10. You either look good or not. Either he abandoned his peoples or we let him down.

This is sports though. Its a place to be irrational. We talk shit. Its how it is.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I dont mind seeing him do well. I dont hate UConn because ill always love Danny.

Either way he ain't going to the NBA so, yeah I guess he's going to get a contract in Spain or Greece now instead of Turkey or Ukraine?

Just sayin its a bit of a slap in the face. Big East not that different than the A-10. You either look good or not. Either he abandoned his peoples or we let him down.

This is sports though. Its a place to be irrational. We talk shit. Its how it is.
Hey I get it. That being said Big East is undoubtably better competition. I’m also less personally gutted by his transfer due to the state of the program when he left. Dowtin and Cyril gone, Fatts probably in his ear about leaving for the draft, the prospects of coming back to a bottom half of the A10 school doesn’t sound too appealing
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hey I get it. That being said Big East is undoubtably better competition. I’m also less personally gutted by his transfer due to the state of the program when he left. Dowtin and Cyril gone, Fatts probably in his ear about leaving for the draft, the prospects of coming back to a bottom half of the A10 school doesn’t sound too appealing
Yeah maybe if he knew the twins and everybody else would get waivers it would have made a difference.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yeah maybe if he knew the twins and everybody else would get waivers it would have made a difference.
Doubt it, he wasn't going to change his mind. Besides, he took advantage of the waiver also and seems to be happy in his current situation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah these kids do what they think to improve their future , if he thinks he can go up a level and be competitive hats off to him
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s a bad look for the fan base and this board to crap on kids who leave the program. It’s their prerogative. Get over it you sound like a jilted teenager.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I actually think Tyrese has the potential to make the NBA. Remember it's about the potential. He has the size and some ability. He needs to work on his 3 point shooting and focus on D and rebounding. The potential is there IMO.
2 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

ENOUGH about Tyrese ! While at URI in my opinion he never seemed like he gave a crap , no hustle . Maybe it was immaturity but at this point who cares . Good luck to him and his NBA DREAM !!!!
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years agoYou don’t need to root for players that transfer out, but, to me, it’s a bad look if you root against them: comes across as petty.
In this case, the circumstances — poached by a slithering, slimy coach who goes to our ancient and most-played enemy — make pettiness justified in this case. Screw him and all the Storrs Leg-humpers.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

" HEAR , HEAR ! "
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years agoYou don’t need to root for players that transfer out, but, to me, it’s a bad look if you root against them: comes across as petty.
In this case, the circumstances — poached by a slithering, slimy coach who goes to our ancient and most-played enemy — make pettiness justified in this case. Screw him and all the Storrs Leg-humpers.
Imagine that! A coach who goes to a better league and making much more money. The nerve of someone trying to better himself in his profession! That’s never happened before.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Imagine that! A coach who goes to a better league and making much more money. The nerve of someone trying to better himself in his profession! That’s never happened before.
Or in this case a coach who went to a school that had the same commitment to winning that he did. I.e they invested the resources.

Meanwhile it took us 8 years to get a “practice facility” by overhauling an existing rec gym that is a solid 5-10 minute walk away from our locker room, we still don’t charter to all our away games, our assistant coaches pool is a pittance, and for recruiting trips our coaches fly southwest.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

People continuing to be pissy and holding it against Hurley for going to a program 10X as good as ours looks so pathetic.

Bunch of whiny crybaby ex’s.

Every single person on this board would have made the same exact move.

Has anyone here every left one career for another to get more money, better benefits, better company, a promotion? Same exact thing.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is Cox a slithering slimy coach for taking Malik Martin who just so happened to have his brother become one of the all time greats here?

I’m sure there was absolutely no behind the scenes communications and we first made contact with Malik the second he was in the portal. :roll: :roll:
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I don’t blame DH for making the move at all , we always been a stepping stone program it is what it is
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I would never do that. Where's the loyalty? I've worked for the same company for 25 years because they pay me well enough I am so gosh darn loyal.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Or in this case a coach who went to a school that had the same commitment to winning that he did. I.e they invested the resources.

Meanwhile it took us 8 years to get a “practice facility” by overhauling an existing rec gym that is a solid 5-10 minute walk away from our locker room, we still don’t charter to all our away games, our assistant coaches pool is a pittance, and for recruiting trips our coaches fly southwest.
There were only a handful of jobs he would have taken. It was so close to working out in Kingston. A few of you deserve only bad things, but for the sake of most of you, I hope they’ve learned.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

There were only a handful of jobs he would have taken. It was so close to working out in Kingston. A few of you deserve only bad things, but for the sake of most of you, I hope they’ve learned.
Learned what?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

To think big.
3 x
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

Just watched the end of St Johns Vs UConn. Same body language Tyrese lazily stands in the corner, then buries a 3 to come within 1 only to clang 2 FT's for the loss...
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

If you guys want a good laugh, go to the UCONN message board. Meltdown central. They have a thread from today's game titled "Hurley coaching malpractice". He's getting shredded for benching Sanogo for most of the second half when he was dominating all game up to that point. And I guess Hurley's justification after the game made their fanbase even more livid.

Overreaction I'm sure, but there were also a lot of comments about Hurley's subpar in-game coaching in general, especially in the latter part of games. Sound familiar? I'd still take Hurley back in a heartbeat, but it just shows that none of these guys are perfect.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

DH's late game coaching was an issue here as we know.

But everything else he does is top notch.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago If you guys want a good laugh, go to the UCONN message board. Meltdown central. They have a thread from today's game titled "Hurley coaching malpractice". He's getting shredded for benching Sanogo for most of the second half when he was dominating all game up to that point. And I guess Hurley's justification after the game made their fanbase even more livid.

Overreaction I'm sure, but there were also a lot of comments about Hurley's subpar in-game coaching in general, especially in the latter part of games. Sound familiar? I'd still take Hurley back in a heartbeat, but it just shows that none of these guys are perfect.
Wait...you mean other message boards have negative reactions to losses???

The NERVE!?
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely was a game Uconn should have won they led basically the whole way. I bet overall the fans are happy with DH compared. To where they were before him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin Impressive in 63-51 UCONN win over Butler.
7-9 FG, 2-3 3FG, 4-4 FT, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, zero Turnovers for a game high 20 points to lead the leg-humpers. Very efficient performance.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup I had Uconn tonight and Tyrese M helped me get the cover
0 x