Dana Tate Dismissed From Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
FDshoes
ARD

Dana Tate Dismissed From Siena

Unread post by FDshoes »

Tate was dismissed from Siena today. Feel bad for the kid. He really did seem to be all in for the program when he first got here.
5 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: Dana tate Siena

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Not trying to be argumentative, but why do you feel bad for him? He was suspended his last few games at URI, and now he’s been dismissed from the team he transferred to without ever playing a game for them. Clearly he doesn’t know how to conduct himself in a manner which is deemed acceptable by his coaches. Not sure that warrants sympathy.
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago Not trying to be argumentative, but why do you feel bad for him? He was suspended his last few games at URI, and now he’s been dismissed from the team he transferred to without ever playing a game for them. Clearly he doesn’t know how to conduct himself in a manner which is deemed acceptable by his coaches. Not sure that warrants sympathy.
Doesnt mean i cant feel bad for him, i liked him while he was here. He talked like an ambassador for the program his first year. He obviously has some issues but who hasnt at some point in there lives?
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago Not trying to be argumentative, but why do you feel bad for him? He was suspended his last few games at URI, and now he’s been dismissed from the team he transferred to without ever playing a game for them. Clearly he doesn’t know how to conduct himself in a manner which is deemed acceptable by his coaches. Not sure that warrants sympathy.
Doesnt mean i cant feel bad for him, i liked him while he was here. He talked like an ambassador for the program his first year. He obviously has some issues but who hasnt at some point in there lives?
Valid point. I liked him too when he first got here, but based on how things have unfolded since then it’s probably better he left the program.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Clown.

From what he did here (in which I reported it first and got censored / the post got deleted for no reason at all), kid was nothing but trouble off the court.

Don’t feel bad for him whatsoever.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

I missed out on what he did here? Can anyone update me in a pm?
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 3 years ago I missed out on what he did here? Can anyone update me in a pm?
I also didnt catch what happened exactly here. But people have to remember these are kids getting there first taste of freedom away from home. Mistakes happen. Growing pains happen.
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Re: Dana Tate Dismissed From Siena

Unread post by DevRam »

Jeremy Sheppard. Go to JUCO for 1-2 years and mature. Senior year Dana can come back to Rhody and ball out. That would make for one hell of a story and Hollywood movie
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

anyone who doesnt feel for a 20 year old kid who clearly has made mistakes and seems like still has a lot of maturing to do is 1 of 2 things:
1) Full of shit. I know what he did to get suspended from URI and I've done far worse, and so did most of the kids I was friends with at URI (not to mention the kids i went to HS with in NY)
2) lived too sheltered of a life or grew up during different time. This is the same blog that had people roasting players for going out and smoking hookah! Guess what? Teenagers are stupid. We as a society have decided you are not old enough to make sound decisions until your mid 20s, so don't be surprised when young adults do stupid shit.

I feel bad for him because the worst thing in life is wasted talent, and Dana had talent that now seems like it will go wasted.

Dana- whatever you've done, people have done far worse and still succeeded in life. Basketball may be done for you as a collegiate career, but don't let it define your life.
16 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I liked Dana's passion and loyalty to URI. I can recall watching his signing on the web when he committed to play for Hurley. Tate had to be disappointed when Hurley bolted but he was the first incoming recruit to come out and re-commit to URI. He seemed to want to be in Kingston. Unfortunately, he appears to have made several bad decisions which have and will continue to greatly impact him. I hope that he is able to complete a degree somewhere and gain maturity and better judgement.
7 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Didn't Dana have other reasons for wanting to go to URI?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Lots of judgmental old farts here who sometimes forget what it's like to be young and confused. I know because I'm one of them. Dana seemed like a good kid who needed some guidance, and I hope he gets it sooner rather than later.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rumor on their message board is he had a girlfriend stay in his dorm against the no visitors policy
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Clown.

From what he did here (in which I reported it first and got censored / the post got deleted for no reason at all), kid was nothing but trouble off the court.

Don’t feel bad for him whatsoever.
The rumor you posted here didn't indicate he was nothing but trouble off the court. Someone that needed a wake up call sure, but not to the level you're acting like here
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If I’m remembering correctly his “screw up” here was pretty relatable and not that bad, IMO. If I were coaching would have just suspended him for half a practice.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago If I’m remembering correctly his “screw up” here was pretty relatable and not that bad, IMO. If I were coaching would have just suspended him for half a practice.
A very URI student screw up that happens all the time across the campus population that he compounded with a very poor decision. Probably shouldn't have been dismissed from the team, and didn't deserve a suspension originally, but once he compounded the error he needed a wake up call.

What he's accused of doing at Siena I think 99.9% of the college population has either done or would do in the fastest heartbeat known to humankind
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rumor on their message board is he had a girlfriend stay in his dorm against the no visitors policy
IF that's seriously the reason he got kicked off the team then that's stupid. What's the big deal if he sees his girlfriend? It's one person. At least he's not going out and partying.
1 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rumor on their message board is he had a girlfriend stay in his dorm against the no visitors policy
IF that's seriously the reason he got kicked off the team then that's stupid. What's the big deal if he sees his girlfriend? It's one person. At least he's not going out and partying.
Covid 19 - Trying to keep the team safe every exposure from the outside puts the whole team at risk
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 years ago
Covid 19 - Trying to keep the team safe every exposure from the outside puts the whole team at risk
I hear you, but the punishment doesnt fit the crime. Maybe a suspension for a game or two...not getting kicked off the team
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I agree, but if you're told there's going to be zero tolerance and the coach doesn't do something like that, then you lose the team and no one will take it seriously, and then you have a chance for big issues. Hopefully whatever it was that happened it gives him the wake up that getting dismissed from our team didn't provide
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago

I hear you, but the punishment doesnt fit the crime. Maybe a suspension for a game or two...not getting kicked off the team
After transferring in from being suspended at URI, Dana should not have been the one pushing the rules. He didn’t learn his lesson and now will go almost 2 years without playing a college game. Most likely will need to do a JUCO year.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I agree - I imagine he was on a short leash at Siena.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago

Exactly. How does this warrant something so extreme like getting kicked off the team?!
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

My guess is because he put the whole team at risk so he could get some action? Selfish and stupid.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’ve always liked Dana and took up for him, but it’s really hard to disagree with the idea that when you’re out of chances you have to be crazy to put that kind of decision in the coach’s lap. Under normal circumstances having your girlfriend in the dorm is even less of a deal than the car thing here, but it’s not normal circumstances in light of the pandemic generally and the impact it is having on the college basketball season, plus his own personal situation. Still rooting for the kid but it’s hard to blame Siena here.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So stealing your car from the impound lot isn’t serious?

And I LOVED DANA as a person.

But what would happen in the real world if an act like this was committed?
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I found Dana to be a very personable dude on the couple of times that I interacted with him. Was disappointed when he left here and sorry to hear he ruined his chance at Siena. That being said , in both situations my guess is that there was more than one indiscretion to cause him to get booted. We just hear(through the grapevine) about the straw that broke the camels back.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Not gonna revel in a kid's mistakes, but glad he's away from this team. Some kids lack maturity, seems like he's one of them
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Dana "Push the Envelope" Tate
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago So stealing your car from the impound lot isn’t serious?

Misdemeanor crime. You do about 20 to 40 hours of community service in Rhode Island, and pay a fine on top of whatever fees you already racked up. I don't know if there is a comparable situation from the Hurley years, but from the Baron years, it was a suspension of a couple games for misdemeanors.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago So stealing your car from the impound lot isn’t serious?

"stealing your own car" should be a felony. Lock em up for 20 years. How dare anyone steal their own asset (if that's even possible).
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

Misdemeanor crime. You do about 20 to 40 hours of community service in Rhode Island, and pay a fine on top of whatever fees you already racked up. I don't know if there is a comparable situation from the Hurley years, but from the Baron years, it was a suspension of a couple games for misdemeanors.
Got it, so that in addition to was likely the straw that broke the camels back.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

"stealing your own car" should be a felony. Lock em up for 20 years. How dare anyone steal their own asset (if that's even possible).
Semantics, but you get my point.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC you should have to park your car on campus every day for a full school year and then come talk to me about how serious it is. I wish I tried to invade the impound Precinct 13 style. Those professional car thieves are the lowest scum on the planet.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Semantics, but you get my point.
I do, but not from the eyes of a teenager. It's just not that big a deal. Sure a teaching moment, but nothing to kill a kids advancement in life. Now if it was stealing someone else's car then yes, throw the book at em.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago

DC you should have to park your car on campus every day for a full school year and then come talk to me about how serious it is. I wish I tried to invade the impound Precinct 13 style. Those professional car thieves are the lowest scum on the planet.
Touché
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I used to park in the woods next to the Catholic Center with a few other trucks. One day there was a tow truck driver waiting for me behind the University Club who asked me to drive my truck over to him so he could tow it because the wrecker would get stuck going through the woods.

You can imagine my response.

Hopefully that tow company has gone under by now.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

😂😂😂
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

"One day there was a tow truck driver waiting for me behind the University Club who asked me to drive my truck over to him so he could tow it because the wrecker would get stuck going through the woods."

Da fuq?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I used to park in the woods next to the Catholic Center with a few other trucks. One day there was a tow truck driver waiting for me behind the University Club who asked me to drive my truck over to him so he could tow it because the wrecker would get stuck going through the woods.

You can imagine my response.

Hopefully that tow company has gone under by now.
Oh my word - did the driver really think you'd be that gullible?

I do remember (back in the late 80s) there was parking just outside of Gorham Hall - my dorm. It was at the time for anyone. Then one day, the University put up "Staff parking only" signs without warning and tickets being immediately given. Unconscionable. I watched the whole thing from my dorm window and was thankful that if I had parked there that day, I would have been there to get my car out in time.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago "One day there was a tow truck driver waiting for me behind the University Club who asked me to drive my truck over to him so he could tow it because the wrecker would get stuck going through the woods."

Da fuq?
I have a similar story to BlueMans. Old man yeller never caught me though.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago anyone who doesnt feel for a 20 year old kid who clearly has made mistakes and seems like still has a lot of maturing to do is 1 of 2 things:
1) Full of shit. I know what he did to get suspended from URI and I've done far worse, and so did most of the kids I was friends with at URI (not to mention the kids i went to HS with in NY)
2) lived too sheltered of a life or grew up during different time. This is the same blog that had people roasting players for going out and smoking hookah! Guess what? Teenagers are stupid. We as a society have decided you are not old enough to make sound decisions until your mid 20s, so don't be surprised when young adults do stupid shit.

I feel bad for him because the worst thing in life is wasted talent, and Dana had talent that now seems like it will go wasted.

Dana- whatever you've done, people have done far worse and still succeeded in life. Basketball may be done for you as a collegiate career, but don't let it define your life.
This is spot on. I do agree he should’ve been punished for the infraction at URI, maybe a one game or two games suspension. But I can’t imagine justifiably kicking a kid out of school for this action. And maybe it was more being tossed off the team and Dana chose to leave, but still could’ve been handled better. Am I the only one thinking the Siena issue is more serious than what happened at URI?

I think jeopardizing the teams ability to play or even the teams health should be viewed as a more detrimental action then trying to get your car out of an impound.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago anyone who doesnt feel for a 20 year old kid who clearly has made mistakes and seems like still has a lot of maturing to do is 1 of 2 things:

This is spot on. I do agree he should’ve been punished for the infraction at URI, maybe a one game or two games suspension. But I can’t imagine justifiably kicking a kid out of school for this action. And maybe it was more being tossed off the team and Dana chose to leave, but still could’ve been handled better. Am I the only one thinking the Siena issue is more serious than what happened at URI?

I think jeopardizing the teams ability to play or even the teams health should be viewed as a more detrimental action then trying to get your car out of an impound.
He was suspended for that action. There were more infractions afterwards if I recall correctly.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wasn't Dana suspended from basketball at URI and quit the team? Didn't he get a break from the towing company not pressing criminal charges because he was a basketball player? He acted as though he was wronged when URI was doing him a favor.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago

He was suspended for that action. There were more infractions afterwards if I recall correctly.
That makes more sense then. I wasn’t aware of further infractions.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The rumor on the board at the time was there were no further infractions, that he was suspended by the team indefinitely and the administration booted him
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't recall Tate being officially dismissed from URI. My memory has it that the school put him on an indefinite suspension. He grew frustrated as no clear return date was made clear to him and after three suspended games ultimately it was his decision to transfer.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I for one sympathize with Dana, these situations are serious to adults (the current sitch with the sneaking his GF on campus and the borrowing his own car back) but one can understand how a 20 yo might think otherwise. The problem in both cases is Dana is fucking with people's money, especially this current issue. If his team had to shut things down for some amount of time and they traced it back to his indiscretion, he'd have cost the university some decent $$.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Would any team want such an undisciplined and immature player on their team during a pandemic year with all the rules that must be followed to protect the team?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!