At This Point In The Season, is it Way Too Early To Say...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

At This Point In The Season, is it Way Too Early To Say...

Unread post by Blue Man »

...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?

Probably. But guess what I'm going to say anyway??

It's an absolutely outlandish and aggressive, possibly irresponsible take for a fan of my fragility and volatility, but I might as well give it a shot. Dropped the baby off at my parents and we wound up talking hoops for about 45 minutes so now I'm all jazzed up. That and since Ed Cooley is a pussy and we might not have basketball for a week, I need to post a long-winded take.

1st off - most complete. We have been blessed, albeit for brief periods, with some truly talented and amazing teams in Kingston. Few, however, gave you the feeling of a "complete" team. 1998 comes to mind - elite PG play (Tyson), phenomenal scoring at the 2 and 3 (Cat and King), and traditional, beastly (albeit a tad undersized) play in the front court from ARD and Luther. The bench gave you Preston - but after that it was on Arigbabu (who I LOVED), and maybe John Bennett who got in there sparingly.

For a starting 5 - this was the most complete on both ends of the floor that was in my lifetime. I am leaning on the more seasoned fans to give a take on the 1988 team, but based on the games I've watched of them - they were as complete a team as you could hope. Phenomenal guard play from Tom Garrick. Scoring from Silk and Evans - and a rigid front court of Green/Sina/Colson.

Hurley's teams, though defensive stalwarts and talented in their own right - always lacked a 'true" big man down low. Granted, Hassan Martin is probably the best pound for pound low post defender in Keaney Blue history - but imagine if we had a traditional big playing the 5 to truly allow him to roam and help instead of be locked under the hoop. Think if you subbed either one of the Mitchell twins for Andre Berry on the 2018 team? Guaranteed Bagley and Carter don't abuse us the way they did.

Also, Hurley's teams lacked a "shooter" - obviously we had scoring, and EC/Jared always made big shots - but not with any regularity. It was their tenacious defense that won us game, very rarely a "dagger" 3 to put it out of reach.

From a "most complete" perspective - this team presents a shooting threat we haven't seen since Jimmy Baron (Shepp). A low-post presence we haven't seen since '98 (no offense to the honorable mention of Seawright/Martell) with Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell. There's speed at the #1 position we haven't seen since Tyson (Fatts). One place we've been particularly blessed with is scoring flexibility at the wing - KI/Delroy/any of Hurleys "guards - but we have a stud in Jalen Carey.

From a depth perspective - we have 8 players averaging 5 points or more. 9 and 10 average 4.8 and 4.7. This "runnin rams" concept really starts to work when you can run 9 or 10 guys out at people - especially when the talent drop off isn't significant.

All these other historic URI teams ran about 6 or 7 guys and then you saw a steep drop off. Hurley ran deep - but with an abundance of guards and "positionless" players - meaning you'd have Stan Robinson playing the low post a lot of the time.

In the A-10, you could make a case that every single player on this roster could find a starting spot at almost every school. That's insane.

You have 2 or 3 guys that can do the same type of thing. You have 4 reliable ball handling guards. Fatt/Shepp/Carey/Legget. 2 of them are reliable PG's who can set the offense, distribute, and run the team - Fatts/Shepp. You have a multitude of guys who can play the 3 and do any number of different things offensively and defensively in Carey/Martin/DJ. You have athleticism, defense, and scoring from the front court we've never seen at this level - Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell are all capable of scoring, rebounding, and protecting the rim in a way we haven't seen from a rotation of players.

Those are 9 guys collectively that are going to be able to give you a minimum of 15 minutes a game. That's insanity.

As far as "talent" obviously that remains to be seen. But in terms of shooting (Shepp/Carey/maybe DJ), scoring (Fatts, Shepp, Carey, Ish), defense (literally everyone), low post offense/defense (Mitchell/Mitchell/Walker), outside defense (fatts/Martin/Carey) - these players have fundamentals and look more polished coming into a new system than any group of players I can remember.

So this is probably an irresponsible, fan-boy post, slanted by a recentcy bias - but I don't care. This team is going places when they pull it all together.
12 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: At This Point In The Season, is it Way Too Early To Say...

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You might be right, but yes, too soon. I think a better question to ask is the team meeting preseason expectations? While a 3-2 record isn’t stellar, I think the trajectory is certainly accelerating.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I always put the '8' teams as the top 4 (funny how that has worked out)....'78, '88, '98, '18. These teams didn't go deep into the bench for playing time though, especially the 20th century teams. The one thing that each of these teams had was that they each had 2 players who were at or near the top of the list of URI all-time greats...Sly and Jiggy, Silk and Tommy, Tyson and Cat, Jared and E.C. The amazing thing about the '88 team is that Penders played only 6 players for the most part, and they ran and ran all game, averaging 86.5 points a game (13th in the country) and scoring over 100 points 5 times. Silk and Tommy never came off the floor, only in blowouts. I think Jiggy averaged 39 minutes a game for the '78 team. Things have changed as far as coached using their benches. The '78 team had 2 guys, Jimmy Wright and Phil Kydd, who didn't play a lot during what was their freshmen years, but ended up being great players here. As far as this years's team, I have to put Fatts as being in the group of all-timers here. Is there a 2nd? That's TBD. There are a couple of possibilities though. It's fun to think about. We'll see!........ I've included the stats of my top 4 teams.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1978.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1988.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1998.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2018.html
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

It may not fully show this year with the youth, but I will say that I agree. This feels like a roster we'll look at 10 years from now and marvel that they were all on the same team.

Similar to the collapse team of 07-08, 7 scored over 5 ppg (and 1 who didnt was Delroy James)

Daniels, Jimmy, Bitee, Searwight, Cothran, Ulmer, Delroy, Marquise, Mbang.

If they challenge for "best starting 5" then we're hanging multiple banners soon. IMO that goes to 97-98 with Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, Clay, King (Murphy at the 6th man). God, if only we were a power 5 team and the NCAA had looked the other way and cleared Odom for that season
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

Is it too soon to say for sure? Absolutley. Did that stop me from having this same conversation the other night with my brother? Absolutley not.
Quick disclaimer, in keeping with Blue Man's spirit, below is an extremely optimistic take on what I have seen so far.

FATTS-- maybe the quickest player in the nation, and an absolute assassin at the FT line, huge for close games. Hope he continues to use that quickness to tear apart opposing defenses, and takes the open (smart) shots, or passes the ball to his open teammates when neccessary.

SHEPPARD-- the sniper we have been waiting for, and not just a catch and shoot guy either. Some of his 3's have been high difficulty off the dribble shots, including the nail in the coffin the other night against SH. Impossible to double team when Fatts is on the floor, Shepp should see plenty of open looks from downtown all season.

ISH!!!-- I could write an entire thread about Ish, absolutley in love with his game. If you showed a tape to a non fan, they would never believe he is a freshman. Does all the little things well, and isn't afraid on the bright lights. Also picks up his man as soon as the ball is inbounded, and hounds them all the way up the court. Fierce competitor, and cant wait to see how his career progresses

CAREY-- I will always relentlessly support a fellow Carey. Was so excited when I saw the name pop up in the recruiting section. Currently working on getting the Rhody jersey. Jalen looks to be more of a swiss army knife kind of guy so far, but has shown flashes of being a dangerous slasher and gritty defender. Awesome athlete, and a perfect compliment to the other 3 shorter guards. Hope his injury is minor.

MALIK-- He could go his entire career putting up zeros in the box score and it wouldnt matter to me. Any relative of Hassan Martin is a made man on the URI campus. Luckily for us, Malik has some game and fits right in to this group. Has shown the ability to hit the 3, and his defense has been as advertised. I think he will have some big nights against A10 competition.

DJ-- The unicorn of the roster. He can definitely shoot, has insane length, and can fly as well. Reminds me a little bit of Ulmer in that regard, but more of an offensive threat. (Not saying better than Lamonte, who is one of my all time favorite Rams) If DJ can continue to stretch the floor than he will see a lot of minutes.

WALKER-- He has been the biggest surprise so far. Showed some flashes last season, but was inconsistent. Not in 2020, he has been a beast. Him and fatts have tremendous chemistry on the PNR, and he never stops working on the glass and the defensive end. Provides the luxury of playing big with him at the 4, especially if he keeps hitting outside shots.

MITCHELL TWINS-- I'm grouping them together because of it wasnt for the jersey numbers and announcers, I'd have no idea who was on the court. The word was one was Makhi was clearly the better of the two, and that each player brought a different skillset to the table. So far though, I've just seen mostly dominance from both. Sure, you could break down film and find some differences, but holy shit what a game changer these two have been on offense and defense. Legit post moves, mid range jumpers, even some dribble drives. On defense, they sky for blocks and rebounds, and its surreal watching Rhody big men out rebound power 5 teams and shut down the paint as well. The FT's can be a bit of a roller coaster but they've shown ability to hit those also. They will feast on A10 competition.

JERMAINE-- clearly not 100%, but still out there giving 150%. He was saddled with extremely high expectations because of his HS ranking, and has been trying to live up to them since day 1. He has talent, and when healthy, I still believe he will be an important piece of the puzzle.

There is a ton of work to do but this team has second weekend potential if everything continues to click. 6th place in the A10 they said..... not likely.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Re: the Mitchell’s, I think Khi is a bit more of an outside player than Khel. Neither is afraid of contact (which is why they’ve been getting into foul trouble) but Khel is more of an inside banger and Khi has a bit more finesse. They both run the floor well so they’re a good fit for the team.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It already feels like it is the deepest and biggest roster in my 35+ years of fandom. 88 and 98 teams were very similar IMO; they were better and more complete teams than the 2018 team. I actually think our 2017 team was better than 2018. Can’t attest to the 78 team.

This roster if it sticks together has the chance to have the highest ceiling of a Rhody team in my lifetime. Because they are deep and big with multiple offensive options. We have no glaring deficiency in terms of size or talent.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago

FATTS-- maybe the quickest player in the nation, and an absolute assassin at the FT line, huge for close games. Hope he continues to use that quickness to tear apart opposing defenses, and takes the open (smart) shots, or passes the ball to his open teammates when neccessary.

Such an underrated but important part of a team that can go far. Fatts having the ball in his hands and being a near 90% free throw shooter at the end of games is HUGE. It's nice that you don't need to try to find a way to get him the ball at the end to make sure he's the one that's fouled. Having this type of closer will make a difference.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?

Oh vey man
I can hear Rod from Cranston yelling down at you about URI history what a ridiculous take lol

I do like the enthusiasm
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The roster is pretty deep, yeah - In most years, we're arguing that we want to see some end of the bench guy, because option #6, 7 or 8 is disappointing. This year, all 10 guys that have logged minutes have been impressive at one point or another. I don't know if there is another All-A10 level player for 2020-21 on the roster besides Fatts, but that depth has the chance to be absolutely smothering during conference play, and at least through five games, the per-40 stats for Leggett suggest a future star. (Super small sample size caveat, of course.)
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

15 Year Lurker wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...that this is the most complete, deepest, and most talented URI team in HISTORY?

Oh vey man
I can hear Rod from Cranston yelling down at you about URI history what a ridiculous take lol

I do like the enthusiasm
As Da_Process_Survivor points out, I think by year's end it could be a plausible argument, just because this roster construction kind of defies the norm for Rhody. If you look at the two NCAA years with Garrick and Kenny Green in the 1980s, and the 1998 and 1999 teams, it's about six or seven players at 10 MPG or more, and then it falls off a cliff.

By the way, this isn't unusual for college or pro ball - In a way, it's way "easier" to find one or two superstar players, then 10 average to above-average players. Also, because only one person can shoot at a time, top-heavy teams typically go further than deep teams. I like how Rhody has looked through five games, but I still think their range of outcomes for the year is wide.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Few things brighten my day more than Blue Man going on a long post like this, even if it is as he admits much too early. I'll be the killjoy to say, don't let me quote Winston Wolf lol:

In all seriousness, this could be the makings of a memorable team. Wed's win vs. Seton Hall had them going on the game closing run that had been pretty rare since 2018. And it could be one of those quality wins that will be important in March. At this point, it is reasonable to think Rhody will finish higher than 6th, but there is still a lot of hoop to be played.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I have a hard time taking anything you say serious. I know, I’m in the minority...but as you said, your volatility and fragility alone are enough for me to see the scope of irony in the entire post.

It will take a bad game or two for you throw the baby out with the bath water, but I respect that fact that oh embrace it, which makes you forgivable. Lol

We are polar opposites, I can accept that.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I agree with alot of the posts above. The craziest thing for me is that this team might not reach its peak until next year. A full year playing together with this group and a full off season to continue to learn how each other plays and further mesh.

Yeah we lose fatts and maybe sheppard next year depending on his decision to return or not. But adding betrand to the mix in replace of fatts and/or sheppard will really help.

With Richmond and Saint Louis graduating alot from this years team we could be in a tremendous position to dominate the A10 and be one of the top favorites to win the conference from the preseason.

I can not wait to continue to watch this team develop and excited to see what is to come.

For me it is such a shame we are not able to pack this ryan center and give these boys the energy every game they deserve. Would be an absolute pleasure to watch them in person with that great atmosphere. Especially like the Seton hall game. Roof would have came off
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Lots of Kool-Aide drinkers here, but not necessarily a bad thing. I hope many of you are still this optimistic after a couple of bad loses. This team might have the most depth and balance but maybe not the talent or star power of past teams. We also have a relatively new coaching staff that hasn't been to the dance together as a group. I too, am excited about the potential of this team, but prefer to take a more cautious approach.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Lots of Kool-Aide drinkers here, but not necessarily a bad thing. I hope many of you are still this optimistic after a couple of bad loses. This team might have the most depth and balance but maybe not the talent or star power of past teams. We also have a relatively new coaching staff that hasn't been to the dance together as a group. I too, am excited about the potential of this team, but prefer to take a more cautious approach.
Not sure how many of our past teams had 4 4* recruits out of high school on the team. This team has **** power.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Lots of Kool-Aide drinkers here, but not necessarily a bad thing. I hope many of you are still this optimistic after a couple of bad loses. This team might have the most depth and balance but maybe not the talent or star power of past teams. We also have a relatively new coaching staff that hasn't been to the dance together as a group. I too, am excited about the potential of this team, but prefer to take a more cautious approach.
Not sure how many of our past teams had 4 4* recruits out of high school on the team. This team has **** power.
I wouldn't get to wrapped up with high school star ratings because they vary among the sites and in many cases not much of a difference between 3* and 4*. There are so many high school players who are overlooked, many because they don't participate in off-season AAU programs, or come from smaller schools. It's not like these players are bona fide blue chippers coming out of high school such as Sly and Lamar. There are 4* that don't live up to the rankings in D1, and subsequently 2* and 3 * that excel at the next level.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

It's an absolutely outlandish and aggressive, possibly irresponsible take for a fan of my fragility and volatility, but I might as well give it a shot. Dropped the baby off at my parents and we wound up talking hoops for about 45 minutes so now I'm all jazzed up. That and since Ed Cooley is a pussy and we might not have basketball for a week, I need to post a long-winded take.

1st off - most complete. We have been blessed, albeit for brief periods, with some truly talented and amazing teams in Kingston. Few, however, gave you the feeling of a "complete" team. 1998 comes to mind - elite PG play (Tyson), phenomenal scoring at the 2 and 3 (Cat and King), and traditional, beastly (albeit a tad undersized) play in the front court from ARD and Luther. The bench gave you Preston - but after that it was on Arigbabu (who I LOVED), and maybe John Bennett who got in there sparingly.

For a starting 5 - this was the most complete on both ends of the floor that was in my lifetime. I am leaning on the more seasoned fans to give a take on the 1988 team, but based on the games I've watched of them - they were as complete a team as you could hope. Phenomenal guard play from Tom Garrick. Scoring from Silk and Evans - and a rigid front court of Green/Sina/Colson.

Hurley's teams, though defensive stalwarts and talented in their own right - always lacked a 'true" big man down low. Granted, Hassan Martin is probably the best pound for pound low post defender in Keaney Blue history - but imagine if we had a traditional big playing the 5 to truly allow him to roam and help instead of be locked under the hoop. Think if you subbed either one of the Mitchell twins for Andre Berry on the 2018 team? Guaranteed Bagley and Carter don't abuse us the way they did.

Also, Hurley's teams lacked a "shooter" - obviously we had scoring, and EC/Jared always made big shots - but not with any regularity. It was their tenacious defense that won us game, very rarely a "dagger" 3 to put it out of reach.

From a "most complete" perspective - this team presents a shooting threat we haven't seen since Jimmy Baron (Shepp). A low-post presence we haven't seen since '98 (no offense to the honorable mention of Seawright/Martell) with Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell. There's speed at the #1 position we haven't seen since Tyson (Fatts). One place we've been particularly blessed with is scoring flexibility at the wing - KI/Delroy/any of Hurleys "guards - but we have a stud in Jalen Carey.

From a depth perspective - we have 8 players averaging 5 points or more. 9 and 10 average 4.8 and 4.7. This "runnin rams" concept really starts to work when you can run 9 or 10 guys out at people - especially when the talent drop off isn't significant.

All these other historic URI teams ran about 6 or 7 guys and then you saw a steep drop off. Hurley ran deep - but with an abundance of guards and "positionless" players - meaning you'd have Stan Robinson playing the low post a lot of the time.

In the A-10, you could make a case that every single player on this roster could find a starting spot at almost every school. That's insane.

You have 2 or 3 guys that can do the same type of thing. You have 4 reliable ball handling guards. Fatt/Shepp/Carey/Legget. 2 of them are reliable PG's who can set the offense, distribute, and run the team - Fatts/Shepp. You have a multitude of guys who can play the 3 and do any number of different things offensively and defensively in Carey/Martin/DJ. You have athleticism, defense, and scoring from the front court we've never seen at this level - Walker/Mitchell/Mitchell are all capable of scoring, rebounding, and protecting the rim in a way we haven't seen from a rotation of players.

Those are 9 guys collectively that are going to be able to give you a minimum of 15 minutes a game. That's insanity.

As far as "talent" obviously that remains to be seen. But in terms of shooting (Shepp/Carey/maybe DJ), scoring (Fatts, Shepp, Carey, Ish), defense (literally everyone), low post offense/defense (Mitchell/Mitchell/Walker), outside defense (fatts/Martin/Carey) - these players have fundamentals and look more polished coming into a new system than any group of players I can remember.

So this is probably an irresponsible, fan-boy post, slanted by a recentcy bias - but I don't care. This team is going places when they pull it all together.

I was just saying this yesterday. Top to bottom most talented team we have ever had in my 30 years of following this program. '98 was my favorite team and had debatably 2 of our best players ever but the team wasnt deep.

Does this mean this yeatd roster will do special things? Time will tell. But from a depth and talent standpoint i agreewith you. The ceilinf is high AF.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Oh vey man

I do like the enthusiasm
Ugh he was in my head as I typed this. I miss that man.

Would've loved a detailed take of how wrong I was while he provided first person insights of '78 and '88 along with the obscure teams that will never make a YouTube highlight real. Almost 2 years....crazy. His daughter gave me his cufflinks after he passed and they sit on top of my bureau every day. What a stud that guy was.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Oh vey man

I do like the enthusiasm
Ugh he was in my head as I typed this. I miss that man.

Would've loved a detailed take of how wrong I was while he provided first person insights of '78 and '88 along with the obscure teams that will never make a YouTube highlight real. Almost 2 years....crazy. His daughter gave me his cufflinks after he passed and they sit on top of my bureau every day. What a stud that guy was.
Agreed - Rod would have loved this team - he always said "we need more size!" - well Rod your prayers were answered and hopefully you are watching with a smile from above.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago I have a hard time taking anything you say serious. I know, I’m in the minority...but as you said, your volatility and fragility alone are enough for me to see the scope of irony in the entire post.

It will take a bad game or two for you throw the baby out with the bath water, but I respect that fact that oh embrace it, which makes you forgivable. Lol

Like...we definitely are polar opposites lol, that's a given. But how many disclaimers do I have to put on a post - positive or negative?

I've never thrown the baby out with the bathwater after any loss. I've been furiously pissed in the heat of the moment, and typically the next morning I will usually post something of a more reasonable retraction. Similar to me yelling WHAT THE &*(#$(" in the Ryan Center and cooling off after getting it out.

I have never said that Cox wasn't going to be the guy or he wasn't the right coach for our program. I've been pissed, most definitely, at head-scratchingly bad decisions that he's obviously agreed were bad because he's made changes. Like the no time outs or adjustments after BC. That changed. I'll still critique him playing Harris 20+ minutes a night on a team that most of us are objectively saying is the deepest and most talented team we have had, possibly ever, at this school.

I also admit when I'm wrong - like when I said he was handling Fatts wrong and he was killing us and needed to be benched. He was right to let Fatts shoot his way out of a slump and it showed. Didn't make it any easier to watch the PC loss that year. Doesn't make it any easier to watch Fatts chuck up 3's as a high 20% shooter when there's 3 guys on the floor who are a better shooter than him.

I call it like I see it. Harris is the 10th best player on this team. Cox is the right coach from us who will have growing pains. As an excitable fan, I'm going to react negatively to said growing pains. They're pains. Pain usually hurts. Message boards are a cathartic release. Since I can't yell in the Ryan Center this year, and since the baby goes to bed before halftime - I can't really yell even in the basement - so unfortunately I'm going to yell in long-form online.

I've never stopped being a fan. I've never stopped rooting for this team. I put my money where my mouth is with donations. I never root for Cox to make a bad decision so I can be "right" online. I never root for Harris to miss a layup, a 3 pointer, or a defensive assignment. But of course I'm going to bitch about it and expect accountability and changes so this team can be the best it can. I would LOVE Harris to prove me wrong and turn into the player we expected him to be. Nothing would make me happier because we'd be an even better team if he does.

Despite in game frustrations and the immediate after-math of soul crushing losses, most of my posts are wildly optimistic. I'm a fan. This team affects me far more than an average, well-adjusted person, and I possess the self-awareness to admit that, as well as the understanding that there's something wrong with me. I'm also totally cool if that's my toxic trait.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago I have a hard time taking anything you say serious. I know, I’m in the minority...but as you said, your volatility and fragility alone are enough for me to see the scope of irony in the entire post.

Like...we definitely are polar opposites lol, that's a given. But how many disclaimers do I have to put on a post - positive or negative?

I've never thrown the baby out with the bathwater after any loss. I've been furiously pissed in the heat of the moment, and typically the next morning I will usually post something of a more reasonable retraction. Similar to me yelling WHAT THE &*(#$(" in the Ryan Center and cooling off after getting it out.

I have never said that Cox wasn't going to be the guy or he wasn't the right coach for our program. I've been pissed, most definitely, at head-scratchingly bad decisions that he's obviously agreed were bad because he's made changes. Like the no time outs or adjustments after BC. That changed. I'll still critique him playing Harris 20+ minutes a night on a team that most of us are objectively saying is the deepest and most talented team we have had, possibly ever, at this school.

I also admit when I'm wrong - like when I said he was handling Fatts wrong and he was killing us and needed to be benched. He was right to let Fatts shoot his way out of a slump and it showed. Didn't make it any easier to watch the PC loss that year. Doesn't make it any easier to watch Fatts chuck up 3's as a high 20% shooter when there's 3 guys on the floor who are a better shooter than him.

I call it like I see it. Harris is the 10th best player on this team. Cox is the right coach from us who will have growing pains. As an excitable fan, I'm going to react negatively to said growing pains. They're pains. Pain usually hurts. Message boards are a cathartic release. Since I can't yell in the Ryan Center this year, and since the baby goes to bed before halftime - I can't really yell even in the basement - so unfortunately I'm going to yell in long-form online.

I've never stopped being a fan. I've never stopped rooting for this team. I put my money where my mouth is with donations. I never root for Cox to make a bad decision so I can be "right" online. I never root for Harris to miss a layup, a 3 pointer, or a defensive assignment. But of course I'm going to bitch about it and expect accountability and changes so this team can be the best it can. I would LOVE Harris to prove me wrong and turn into the player we expected him to be. Nothing would make me happier because we'd be an even better team if he does.

Despite in game frustrations and the immediate after-math of soul crushing losses, most of my posts are wildly optimistic. I'm a fan. This team affects me far more than an average, well-adjusted person, and I possess the self-awareness to admit that, as well as the understanding that there's something wrong with me. I'm also totally cool if that's my toxic trait.
I can respect it, I guess. lol

Your posts come off very strong after, imo, and we are all mad, and can you guess who’s the most upset after a loss?

It’s easy to critique from the sidelines... but I love those kids that wear that jersey, I really do. All of them, so it strikes me a bit different. They feel like extended family to me, in a weird, psycho way, but I guess that’s my level of my particular fandom.

Kids have bad games, coaches screw up, and the end goal is to limit those screw ups and bad games just enough to win more often than not. Sometimes your posts come off as if they are throwing the game altogether... it’s so much venom and animosity, and Folks know you in particular to be friendly to the kids, staff and families after the game... i’d just advise to tone it down a notch, you can be strongly constructive without being an a**hole, bro. Lol

You have become the face of URI in the stands...you represent a lot of people. You are THEE man. More people know you, than you realize.

But, I digress, I’ll just skip past your posts after losses, there are more to come, and I’ll just try to meet you halfway.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Your posts come off very strong after, imo, and we are all mad, and can you guess who’s the most upset after a loss?

It’s easy to critique from the sidelines... but I love those kids that wear that jersey, I really do. All of them, so it strikes me a bit different. They feel like extended family to me, in a weird, psycho way, but I guess that’s my level of my particular fandom.

Kids have bad games, coaches screw up, and the end goal is to limit those screw ups and bad games just enough to win more often than not. Sometimes your posts come off as if they are throwing the game altogether... it’s so much venom and animosity, and Folks know you in particular to be friendly to the kids, staff and families after the game... i’d just advise to tone it down a notch, you can be strongly constructive without being an a**hole, bro. Lol

You have become the face of URI in the stands...you represent a lot of people. You are THEE man. More people know you, than you realize.

But, I digress, I’ll just skip past your posts after losses, there are more to come, and try to meet you halfway.
That's probably recommended - for most. If things aren't going well on the court and you see ALL CAPITAL LETTERS - you should probably scroll and wait for Bruce Banner to return to the interwebs instead of the Blue Hulk.

I most definitely am friendly to the kids staff and families. I love them. They are an extended part of my family as well. I used to work with them when I was an intern. I'm also far more skilled at intrapersonal communication (hell yeah URI communications degree) than other forms of media, like text. A lot of my communication skills are via non-verbal cues and orthoepy inflection (let's GO Davis Hall crew).

Most who know me understand any criticism of basketball play or decisions is nowhere reflective of my feelings or support for anyone associated with URI. Period.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

But, I digress, I’ll just skip past your posts after losses, there are more to come, and try to meet you halfway.
That's probably recommended - for most. If things aren't going well on the court and you see ALL CAPITAL LETTERS - you should probably scroll and wait for Bruce Banner to return to the interwebs instead of the Blue Hulk.
*handshake*
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It has to be the deepest top to bottom.

The most important variable is Cox right now. Hes got his guys, he's got the talent, can he deliver.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The "star power" thing is what gives me pause as well. If Fatts is absent for whatever reason, I kind of worry that the offense gums up a bit, because it lacks a player who will attack offensively. Like, his shot selection can frustrate some posters at times, but a bad shot is still better than a turnover, which is often what occurs when a role player is pressed into a more prominent offensive role. Sheppard strikes me as the perfect spot-up shooter type to pair with Fatts, so, my hope is that Carey or Leggett emerges as someone who can "carry" the offensive for a couple sets each game.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
The "star power" thing is what gives me pause as well. If Fatts is absent for whatever reason, I kind of worry that the offense gums up a bit, because it lacks a player who will attack offensively. Like, his shot selection can frustrate some posters at times, but a bad shot is still better than a turnover, which is often what occurs when a role player is pressed into a more prominent offensive role. Sheppard strikes me as the perfect spot-up shooter type to pair with Fatts, so, my hope is that Carey or Leggett emerges as someone who can "carry" the offensive for a couple sets each game.
Yes, I think it is a bit of a stretch, especially this early, to call this our best team ever. I would like to have what Blue Man is drinking.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
I wouldn't get to wrapped up with high school star ratings because they vary among the sites and in many cases not much of a difference between 3* and 4*. There are so many high school players who are overlooked, many because they don't participate in off-season AAU programs, or come from smaller schools. It's not like these players are bona fide blue chippers coming out of high school such as Sly and Lamar. There are 4* that don't live up to the rankings in D1, and subsequently 2* and 3 * that excel at the next level.
Sure, of course. One only has to look at pc and see that star players can be busts.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

It’s all summed up in the the amount of BIG DANCE WINS you have in a given year. There is no other measuring stick that matters!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

How ironic is it that a player who has started every game for 2 years and it still on the roster (albeit dinged) isn't even mentioned in Blue Man's initial post? Later he is mentioned as a 10th player. Harris has an important role on this team as an interior defender/rebounder, but he will not be a star. I hope his ego can accept this role. He should never force his offense.

So far Fatts has involved teammates in the offense while pushing the tempo. This is the sweet spot where Fatts and the team are at their best. Fatts is too valuable to make charges and reach-in fouls early in the game. We need him to play 30+ minutes against good opponents and be on the court at the end. Ish may emerge as Fatts replacement. Carey/Sheppard are better off the ball.

Walker and the twins are doing great down low. Although I can foresee situations where Harris's bulk will be needed.

As for the best team ever, " there will be time enough for counting, when the [season's] done".
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You can go out to your car and scream. That works. Just make sure the windows are rolled up.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is one of those teams that should get better and better. That's what I've seen in the first five games, and Cox deserves a lot of credit for that. If we can beat another great team like Western Kentucky, I'll start to get very excited.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago This is one of those teams that should get better and better. That's what I've seen in the first five games, and Cox deserves a lot of credit for that. If we can beat another great team like Western Kentucky, I'll start to get very excited.
Watch SH whup up on Oregon tonite....that would be exciting...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A very busy week for SH, including traveling to Omaha. I hope they are able to pull it off against Oregon tonight, it would certainly look good for us.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago A very busy week for SH, including traveling to Omaha. I hope they are able to pull it off against Oregon tonight, it would certainly look good for us.
Mamu will make it happen.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ultimately what you do in March or possibly May cuz of Covid is how we will be defined

Yes this is about as deep a team as we have had and it is really fun to watch our P5 size take over games but let’s qualify for a big dance before we sing this teams accolades
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ha! just wait until we have our little slip and lose to the Dukes by 7, BM will be drunk posting about how horrible everyone and everything is...

But, yeah, we're deep, tall and talented. More depth than I can ever remember. In a normal, non-covid season, we're on tournament watch already, of course being a mid-major this season may be even more daunting than usual.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I think when we started having a mini Exodus last year, people got (understandably) spooked and were very vocal against the coach.

However, DC responded by taking advantage of the transfer loophole and went out and put together a monster recruiting class, by anyone's standards. And then lady luck was on his side, and the majority of them were suddenly eligible.

Call it luck, but sometimes it is better to be lucky. I personally was sold on DC when his first team finished the season very strong, and that is something that really impresses me. The polar opposite to Jim Baron's "nab a top 25 ranking before the A-10 Conference slate, only to watch it disappear in less than a week, and all downhill from there". I want teams that build from start to finish, and then peak at the end of the season. (Granted, this is a short season, so it may not apply this year)

It's going to take an awful lot to get someone like me to sour on DC. He's the man, and I hope they manage to keep him here for a long, long time.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago I think when we started having a mini Exodus last year, people got (understandably) spooked and were very vocal against the coach.

However, DC responded by taking advantage of the transfer loophole and went out and put together a monster recruiting class, by anyone's standards. And then lady luck was on his side, and the majority of them were suddenly eligible.

Call it luck, but sometimes it is better to be lucky. I personally was sold on DC when his first team finished the season very strong, and that is something that really impresses me. The polar opposite to Jim Baron's "nab a top 25 ranking before the A-10 Conference slate, only to watch it disappear in less than a week, and all downhill from there". I want teams that build from start to finish, and then peak at the end of the season. (Granted, this is a short season, so it may not apply this year)

It's going to take an awful lot to get someone like me to sour on DC. He's the man, and I hope they manage to keep him here for a long, long time.
Last year felt like Baron to me. We were getting votes in the top 25, in position for a bid, and then played our way out of it. That's Jim Baron in a nutshell.

I think Cox is a MUCH better coach than Baron, which is why I think this is the year he'll do it. We were told we want to maintain a championship level A10 program and one day make the final four. No matter what coach took over for Dan, we can't have those goals and then not receive a bid the next three seasons. I have faith Cox was the right hire. Go Rhody!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago I think when we started having a mini Exodus last year, people got (understandably) spooked and were very vocal against the coach.

Last year felt like Baron to me. We were getting votes in the top 25, in position for a bid, and then played our way out of it. That's Jim Baron in a nutshell.

I think Cox is a MUCH better coach than Baron, which is why I think this is the year he'll do it. We were told we want to maintain a championship level A10 program and one day make the final four. No matter what coach took over for Dan, we can't have those goals and then not receive a bid the next three seasons. I have faith Cox was the right hire. Go Rhody!!
Last year was Baron esque, but Cox was dealing with more roster issues than Baron ever had and pretty much overachieved before he underachieved at the end of the year. We also didn't get to see what would have happened had we gotten to play in Brooklyn.

21-9 13-5 in hindsight was pretty strong for mostly a one man show. Yeah we had Dowtin and Cyril, but they were never very strong scorers and Tyrese was up and down.

Now I will be worried about Cox if we falter late this year with the depth we have, cause aside from SLU, Richmond and maybe Dayton we are out talenting the hell out of everybody else in the league. Not a lot of teams in the A-10 would have done to Seton Hall what we did to them. I give Cox zero excuses if we don't make the tournament this year. Unless its something to do with da rona.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Weren’t EC, Stan, Kuran and Terrell all 4 stars?
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Weren’t EC, Stan, Kuran and Terrell all 4 stars?
That is correct.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

The next game is a tough one against a good Western Kentucky team. Ten days off after a very good performance and a road game. Historically, this type of game does not treat anyone well. I’m lowering my expectations for this one but hoping I’m pleasantly surprised.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

The ‘78 team was as deep as this one tho the minutes were not as equal. Starting 5 of Jiggy, Stan, Sly, Irv Chatman & John Nelson were as good as any we have had. The bench of Percy Davis, Randy Wilds, Jimmy Wright, and Phil Kydd was top notch. Ed Bednarcik and Nicky Johnson didn’t play that much but were key members the following season. Very talented team
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

2020 team doesn’t have anyone as good as SLY.
As good as Fatts is, he is streaky. Sly wasn’t streaky he was either good or great! Every game and some times completely unstoppable!! He was freakish, especially back then. He was a 6’7 guard in a forward’s body,who could handle the ball and score from anywhere, anytime.
That said I can’t remember having two players with the sheer size and skill set of the twins (potentially) on the same team. They have the potential to be the most talented tandem of bigs ever, if they continue to develop.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Considered starting a new thread dedicated to him but I'll put it here instead... can we talk about how good Antwan Walker has been thus far?

10.2 points and 6.4 boards per game, shooting 69 percent from the field and 91 percent from the line. 19 and 8 vs Arizona State, 14 and 11 vs San Fran. 3 blocks vs Seton Hall. Really, really solid start to the season... and I'm not sure what exactly the formula is here*, but according to this St. Bona account (which also doubles as an A-10 stat head account), he's been one of the 20 best players in the conference so far.

* (ETA) There's some insight into the formula is in the bottom right of the graphic.

2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Considered starting a new thread dedicated to him but I'll put it here instead... can we talk about how good Antwan Walker has been thus far?

10.2 points and 6.4 boards per game, shooting 69 percent from the field and 91 percent from the line. 19 and 8 vs Arizona State, 14 and 11 vs San Fran. 3 blocks vs Seton Hall. Really, really solid start to the season... and I'm not sure what exactly the formula is here*, but according to this St. Bona account (which also doubles as an A-10 stat head account), he's been one of the 20 best players in the conference so far.

* (ETA) There's some insight into the formula is in the bottom right of the graphic.

That account always puts out some great graphics and stats. Obviously super early in the season and extremely small sample size for a lot of players (especially small for the 3 A10 teams who haven’t played a game yet!)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Still think so Blue Man?

Blue Man » 17 minutes ago

I feel like it’s the same move over and over again with this program. Pretty much for my entire life.

We just aren’t big time. Aren’t ready for it. Crumble when it counts.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s a joke...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Give me the 78 88 and 98 teams -20 over this team
0 x