PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......isn’t that where the mental health hospital was.......?
Still is -- just with different occupants and different delusions ...
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago I really think it is hilarious RJ is no where to be found to defend his spin of the PC schedule ducking. He is always throwing his two sense in every topic but for some reason today seems to be absent hahahahahah. FDU on the same weekend that the PC-URI has taken place for eternity!!!! You can not defend this move besides calling a duck a duck.
We’ve had multiple family members pass away in the last 7 days so I’m sorry tackling PC/URI scheduling is the last of my worries.

If you care to know how I feel go read any of my last 5 or so posts as I assumed and agreed with PC playing a weaker opponent in that spot given their overall SOS and lack of opportunities to run new players/inexperienced players against a gauntlet schedule.
RJ, first, I'm sorry for your losses.

Second, while I understand your point and that now seems to be the take from many, that is not the statement made by Driscoll and Bjorn when the game was cancelled. The original statement by Driscoll and Bjorn was that a mutual agreeable date couldn't be found. Knowing that the new game vs. FDU is the day after the original date of the PC/URI game, then that statement is BS.

Third, with the Gavitt Games now apparently dead, wouldn't PC want to have a good Q1/Q2 opponent back on their schedule?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago I really think it is hilarious RJ is no where to be found to defend his spin of the PC schedule ducking. He is always throwing his two sense in every topic but for some reason today seems to be absent hahahahahah. FDU on the same weekend that the PC-URI has taken place for eternity!!!! You can not defend this move besides calling a duck a duck.
We’ve had multiple family members pass away in the last 7 days so I’m sorry tackling PC/URI scheduling is the last of my worries.
Very sorry RJ, my condolences to your family.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

RJ, i hope you and your family find solace in the fact that a life lived is judged on the love they had and gave. Based on you as a poster (not much else for me to base it on), your loved ones are good people.

That being said, PC showed their true colors and they are chicken shit. Won't be relevant in 5 years time. They'll win as many NCAA games in the next 5 years as they have in the past 5 years .
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Is this true?

KMatious
Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 123 months ago, User Post Count: 2,856 2 hrs 123 months 2,856
RichardCoren said... (original post)

If URI is so insistant about playing this game, put their money where their mouths are. Play this year at Alumni with no fans and when the series resumes next year with fans, play at the Dunk. Then it resumes alternating spots. Problem solved.

show less
Exactly. But, they won't.

URI expected next year’s game to be at URI and not at PC? I would think this year would be at OC with no fans but then again next year at PC since this year is really nobody’s home game. PC Moderator says it was to be next year back to URI. True or false??? I really don’t know.
First, who cares what Coren says. Richard Coren is a long time moderator of the PC Board. I have found him to be a good, fair moderator over the years (even though he stopped me from being able to post a number of years ago (I likely deserved it :lol: ) He is very close to the PC Basketball organization. For him to be of the opinion that the game was going to return to URI next year (2021) surprised me. I had heard that this year would be at PC as would next year as well - then return to URI. I know that the majority of PC fans on their 247Friar Board were not happy with the game being cancelled. There are some who theorize that canceling the game was to enable an additional cupcake on the schedule - but that has not been confirmed by the HC's, AD's or anybody in the press.

Fun fact, this year is PC's home game and next year is URI's home game. That's the way it is currently scheduled. 2nd, as I understand it, URI did try to negotiate that PC doesn't lose the home game this year by allowing them to get a home game next year then URI gets it back the year after and alternate again. But I'm willing to bet that if this happened in URI's home year, PC would have tried to keep their home game next year (and they should...it's not their fault what year covid happened and it's not our fault now). This is what I heard as well but neither HC or AD has stated that. Nobody press has said that either - pretty disappointing on the lack of information.

2nd, the statement from Driscoll and Bjorn was that a mutual date couldn't be found. That's obviously BS as the FDU game is a day after the PC/URI game was originally scheduled for. True. Only reason coming from HC's and AD's is they could not arrive on an agreed upon date. Nothing more. I'd prefer that PC simply state that they wanted their schedule to be easier and there were not as many OOC games. Tell the truth, maybe the date is the truth. I'd prefer URI also say exactly what the reasoning was. If it was the purely the date, then fine, but seeing the statements coming from David Cox makes fans doubt that
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I’m not here to give my opinion, just to convey what I’ve been told.

PC was the driver in this game not happening this season because PC simply doesn’t need the game. There are enough quality games on the schedule and when the resume is looked at in its entirety, there needs to be a volume of wins. In the shortened schedule, PC needed a buy game more than this 50/50 game with URI (particularly “at home” with no fans).

The negotiation never progressed to a point where they discussed the 2021 game. I’m sure URI was willing to do what they could to preserve the series, but in this environment, PC simply didn’t care to play this game. Pretty simple and straightforward.

I do not blame you for being unhappy, but I think you’d feel exactly opposite if the shoe was on the other foot.

I’m reserving judgment on anyone’s part, but you can take the above to the bank as factual.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago I’m not here to give my opinion, just to convey what I’ve been told.

PC was the driver in this game not happening this season because PC simply doesn’t need the game. There are enough quality games on the schedule and when the resume is looked at in its entirety, there needs to be a volume of wins. In the shortened schedule, PC needed a buy game more than this 50/50 game with URI (particularly “at home” with no fans).

The negotiation never progressed to a point where they discussed the 2021 game. I’m sure URI was willing to do what they could to preserve the series, but in this environment, PC simply didn’t care to play this game. Pretty simple and straightforward.

I do not blame you for being unhappy, but I think you’d feel exactly opposite if the shoe was on the other foot.

I’m reserving judgment on anyone’s part, but you can take the above to the bank as factual.
I already test-drove that response for ya...and as obvious as it is...no one here liked it. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago I’m not here to give my opinion, just to convey what I’ve been told.

So why not tell the truth to basketball fans in R.I.?
Why lie about it?
Both sides lied saying they couldn’t find an agreeable date. The HC’s and AD’s of both schools did not tell fans the truth.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago If Thor et al vented their side, it could end up killing the series. We need it more than they do, take the lump of coal and move on...
wow, another really bad take.

calling them out hard is exactly what is appropriate in this situation, if we call them on this, the facts bare out and they cancel the series as a result, it confirms/validates every person who has ever questioned Pee Cee's cup cake scheduling and fear of losing to the lowly A10 state rival.

You would never see Xavier duck Dayton in this manner. These are the games that test your team's mettle, both teams. It will always be one of the most intense games of the season, even when one team any particular season is really bad it will be an intense game, which is exactly what you should want as a coach of either team.
Actually Xavier stopped playing Dayton after joining the Big East.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... han-friars

I pasted the article as some may not have access to the ProJo without a subscription

DEAD BALL ERROR: Rams need annual PC-URI game much more than Friars
By Bill Koch
Journal Sports Writer Posted Oct 10, 2020 at 7:45 PM

Can we be honest with one another for five minutes?

Ideally, it will take about that long to read this column. And by the end of it, perhaps, we’ll touch on a few of the reasons why Providence College and the University of Rhode Island aren’t matching up in men’s basketball this season.

The game isn’t happening in 2020-21. Rams coach David Cox, as he did last week, can stir the pot on social media all he likes. The Friars athletic department, as it did last week, can shamelessly tweet out tacky movie clips in response. No amount of unpleasantness changes the conclusion.

PC’s Bob Driscoll and URI’s Thorr Bjorn declared a one-year moratorium when the athletic directors released a joint statement in late September. It read like the famous conscious uncoupling of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow, the Coldplay lead singer and Hollywood actress. The words on paper conveyed about the most sanitized version of the underlying message possible.

There are two inconvenient truths threatening the immediate future of this rivalry — reaching the NCAA Tournament has increasingly become the lone measuring stick for success in college basketball and Providence doesn’t need to play URI in order to fulfill that goal in this or any year. The Friars, as the home team, were seemingly never going to schedule the Rams in an empty Dunkin’ Donuts Center or Alumni Hall and forfeit their significant home-court advantage.

Ed Cooley didn’t earn a lucrative contract extension and move his basketball operations into a $40-million practice facility because he’s 7-2 against URI. Providence and its deep-pocketed donors backed their coach after Cooley steered his program to five straight editions of March Madness, and it would have been six out of seven last spring. The Friars played 13 games against Quadrant 1 opponents in the Big East alone in 2019-20, the sort of frequent opportunities available thanks to membership in a strong conference.

Providence is already committed to 20 league games, three quality opponents at the Maui Invitational and one date in the Big East-Big 12 Challenge. With the NCAA limiting programs to a maximum of 27 contests this season instead of the usual 31, the Friars were always going to mix in a lighter touch with their three remaining slots. Fairleigh Dickinson coming to The Dunk on Dec. 5 is exactly such an occasion, and its reported finalization by CBS Sports touched off the latest rivalry firestorm.

The Rams have played a total of 12 Quadrant 1 games — nonconference and in the Atlantic 10 — over the last two seasons. URI scheduled smartly and aggressively last year but was unable to capitalize in games against Maryland, West Virginia or LSU. The Rams were on the outside of the NCAA picture looking in when the event was canceled in March.

URI had some similar iron looming this season until COVID-19 forced a few changes. Marquette and Central Florida have both pulled out of the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament at Mohegan Sun. Remaining games against Seton Hall, Boston College and Western Kentucky — in addition to league opponents — could leave the Rams walking the tightrope yet again come Selection Sunday.

Whether or not the annual grudge match should still be played is a different argument altogether, of course. Providence-URI is one of the most unique sporting events the state has to offer. If there was ever a year in which the general public could benefit from a bit of a spectacle and entertainment — even if only from the comfort of their couches — this would seem to be it.

What do the Friars have to fear? The Rams haven’t won downtown since 2002 and return just three regulars. What’s left unsaid is the margin between the two programs isn’t North Carolina to High Point, for example. Heralded recruits still occasionally claim scholarship offers from Providence University on their personal Twitter pages — they would never make the mistake of calling it Duke College.

Any loss to URI, while not decisive over the course of its season in any way, remains a thorn in the side for Providence. The financial gap between the two programs — more than a 2-to-1 spending advantage for the Friars — has made such a result less tolerable. It could also come up in conversation if the two programs happen to be pursuing the same prep prospect or transfer.

Why the sudden historical yearning from URI? If the Ivy League maintains its current course and further delays the start of its athletic year, the Rams might not have the chance to play Brown University — an older, more frequent rival — in late December. There aren’t many URI fans shedding tears at possibly missing a chance to avenge a defeat against the Bears last year.

This is strictly business from the Rams, not romance. There is no other regular NCAA qualifier who would schedule them in an unending home-and-home series, and certainly none who would agree to play its own home game in an empty building. URI is in need of some highlights on the floor after a rash of defections from a 21-9 team forced the addition of five transfers and three freshmen.

And with that, time is up. Resume the public relations spin from your respective corners of the floor. It’s all we’ll have for another 420 days or so.

Counterpoints:
- PC has always needed this rivalry game Less than URI. Nothing new here
- PC has always poured more money into facilities and coaches salaries than URU. Nothing new.
- The desire to make the NCAA Tournament has always been the primary goal. Nothing new.
- PC did not need to lose the home game money. URI would have played this years game to empty Alumni Hall and URI would have returned to PC next season. 2022 series would resume at URI
- Louisville vs Kentucky was close to being cancelled but Coaches Gould a way. Announced by HC’s. Most all rivalry games are being played. Thorr and Driscoll announced this - not the HC’s. This is Driscoll and PC greed. Make no mistake.
- Xavier and Dayton dropped their annual rivalry games when Xavier joined the BE.

What is new is Covid. Easy drive to Alumni Hall from Kingston. No hotels needed, no planes.
Schedule was BS because PC scheduled FDU on Dec 5

Losers in this:
-Players for both PC and URI. A shame, it really is.
-HC’s and Assistant Coaches of both schools
-Fans of both schools. PC gets FDU instead.
-Students of both schools
-RI College Basketball Fans
-New England College Basketball Fans
-Sportswriters in R.I.and area Newspapers
-Future of annual series is at risk. Could go the way of Xavier-Dayton especially with BE going to 20 game seasons and A10 likely to follow other Conferences to 20 game seasons. Most of reasons given for not having the game will be there next season as well.

Winners In this:
- Bob Driscoll, the Big East, some PC Fans but not the majority. The truth of why the game was cancelled was not revealed.
- Greed and Selfishness

URI could find an opponent as good or better than PC in the Mohegan Sun Bubble just as Iona has announced 4 games to be played there.

Pawtucket Red Sox were lost to selfishness and greed of local politicians. Same thing could easily happen to this annual rivalry game that continues to lose its luster from the 1970’s and 1980’s basketball heydays in New England. A shame.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

That's all well and good for Cooley and staff to feel that way. With the Gavitt Games likely canceled this season, relying on conference games to provide the schedule boost while scheduling the likes of FDU can backfire.

Remember the 18-19 season with NC State. NC State had great metrics, and a good handful of Q1/Q2 wins. They were left off because, out of 13 total OOC game, only 3 were against legit teams with the rest being against sub-150 teams (based on KenPom). In fact 8 of those 10 were against sub-250 teams with many in the 300s. They then went 9-9 against a strong ACC schedule. They end the season #39 on KenPom and #33 in the NET. They were left out of the tournament and the selection committee hammered them on their OOC scheduling.

They same argument with the 2017-2018 St Mary's team. Good metrics, good team. Sent to the NIT because of their unwillingness to challenge themselves in the OOC. That was the year they refused a home-and-home with URI and it got around. Selection committee again hammered them.

The selection committee puts a lot of emphasis now on what teams do in their OOC scheduling and trading URI for FDU will be viewed negatively by the committee, should PC find themselves on the bubble.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... han-friars

I pasted the article as some may not have access to the ProJo without a subscription

DEAD BALL ERROR: Rams need annual PC-URI game much more than Friars
By Bill Koch
Journal Sports Writer Posted Oct 10, 2020 at 7:45 PM

Can we be honest with one another for five minutes?

Ideally, it will take about that long to read this column. And by the end of it, perhaps, we’ll touch on a few of the reasons why Providence College and the University of Rhode Island aren’t matching up in men’s basketball this season.

The game isn’t happening in 2020-21. Rams coach David Cox, as he did last week, can stir the pot on social media all he likes. The Friars athletic department, as it did last week, can shamelessly tweet out tacky movie clips in response. No amount of unpleasantness changes the conclusion.

PC’s Bob Driscoll and URI’s Thorr Bjorn declared a one-year moratorium when the athletic directors released a joint statement in late September. It read like the famous conscious uncoupling of Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow, the Coldplay lead singer and Hollywood actress. The words on paper conveyed about the most sanitized version of the underlying message possible.

There are two inconvenient truths threatening the immediate future of this rivalry — reaching the NCAA Tournament has increasingly become the lone measuring stick for success in college basketball and Providence doesn’t need to play URI in order to fulfill that goal in this or any year. The Friars, as the home team, were seemingly never going to schedule the Rams in an empty Dunkin’ Donuts Center or Alumni Hall and forfeit their significant home-court advantage.

Ed Cooley didn’t earn a lucrative contract extension and move his basketball operations into a $40-million practice facility because he’s 7-2 against URI. Providence and its deep-pocketed donors backed their coach after Cooley steered his program to five straight editions of March Madness, and it would have been six out of seven last spring. The Friars played 13 games against Quadrant 1 opponents in the Big East alone in 2019-20, the sort of frequent opportunities available thanks to membership in a strong conference.

Providence is already committed to 20 league games, three quality opponents at the Maui Invitational and one date in the Big East-Big 12 Challenge. With the NCAA limiting programs to a maximum of 27 contests this season instead of the usual 31, the Friars were always going to mix in a lighter touch with their three remaining slots. Fairleigh Dickinson coming to The Dunk on Dec. 5 is exactly such an occasion, and its reported finalization by CBS Sports touched off the latest rivalry firestorm.

The Rams have played a total of 12 Quadrant 1 games — nonconference and in the Atlantic 10 — over the last two seasons. URI scheduled smartly and aggressively last year but was unable to capitalize in games against Maryland, West Virginia or LSU. The Rams were on the outside of the NCAA picture looking in when the event was canceled in March.

URI had some similar iron looming this season until COVID-19 forced a few changes. Marquette and Central Florida have both pulled out of the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament at Mohegan Sun. Remaining games against Seton Hall, Boston College and Western Kentucky — in addition to league opponents — could leave the Rams walking the tightrope yet again come Selection Sunday.

Whether or not the annual grudge match should still be played is a different argument altogether, of course. Providence-URI is one of the most unique sporting events the state has to offer. If there was ever a year in which the general public could benefit from a bit of a spectacle and entertainment — even if only from the comfort of their couches — this would seem to be it.

What do the Friars have to fear? The Rams haven’t won downtown since 2002 and return just three regulars. What’s left unsaid is the margin between the two programs isn’t North Carolina to High Point, for example. Heralded recruits still occasionally claim scholarship offers from Providence University on their personal Twitter pages — they would never make the mistake of calling it Duke College.

Any loss to URI, while not decisive over the course of its season in any way, remains a thorn in the side for Providence. The financial gap between the two programs — more than a 2-to-1 spending advantage for the Friars — has made such a result less tolerable. It could also come up in conversation if the two programs happen to be pursuing the same prep prospect or transfer.

Why the sudden historical yearning from URI? If the Ivy League maintains its current course and further delays the start of its athletic year, the Rams might not have the chance to play Brown University — an older, more frequent rival — in late December. There aren’t many URI fans shedding tears at possibly missing a chance to avenge a defeat against the Bears last year.

This is strictly business from the Rams, not romance. There is no other regular NCAA qualifier who would schedule them in an unending home-and-home series, and certainly none who would agree to play its own home game in an empty building. URI is in need of some highlights on the floor after a rash of defections from a 21-9 team forced the addition of five transfers and three freshmen.

And with that, time is up. Resume the public relations spin from your respective corners of the floor. It’s all we’ll have for another 420 days or so.

Counterpoints:
- PC has always needed this rivalry game Less than URI. Nothing new here
- PC has always poured more money into facilities and coaches salaries than URU. Nothing new.
- The desire to make the NCAA Tournament has always been the primary goal. Nothing new.
- PC did not need to lose the home game money. URI would have played this years game to empty Alumni Hall and URI would have returned to PC next season. 2022 series would resume at URI
- Louisville vs Kentucky was close to being cancelled but Coaches Gould a way. Announced by HC’s. Most all rivalry games are being played. Thorr and Driscoll announced this - not the HC’s. This is Driscoll and PC greed. Make no mistake.
- Xavier and Dayton dropped their annual rivalry games when Xavier joined the BE.

What is new is Covid. Easy drive to Alumni Hall from Kingston. No hotels needed, no planes.
Schedule was BS because PC scheduled FDU on Dec 5

Losers in this:
-Players for both PC and URI. A shame, it really is.
-HC’s and Assistant Coaches of both schools
-Fans of both schools. PC gets FDU instead.
-Students of both schools
-RI College Basketball Fans
-New England College Basketball Fans
-Sportswriters in R.I.and area Newspapers
-Future of annual series is at risk. Could go the way of Xavier-Dayton especially with BE going to 20 game seasons and A10 likely to follow other Conferences to 20 game seasons. Most of reasons given for not having the game will be there next season as well.

Winners In this:
- Bob Driscoll, the Big East, some PC Fans but not the majority. The truth of why the game was cancelled was not revealed.
- Greed and Selfishness

URI could find an opponent as good or better than PC in the Mohegan Sun Bubble just as Iona has announced 4 games to be played there.

Pawtucket Red Sox were lost to selfishness and greed of local politicians. Same thing could easily happen to this annual rivalry game that continues to lose its luster from the 1970’s and 1980’s basketball heydays in New England. A shame.
PC bailing on this game is the smart thing(albeit selfish) for them to do for their program this season. . However, in no way the right thing.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If PC wants to continue to play games at an arena owned by the State of RI, it should play the state's University of RI each season.
6 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

RF1-great point.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Rhody Kyle-good points.
Trying to dumb down the level of competition most times does not work out.
Be interesting to see how this plays out.
It certainly speaks to the financial pressure schools are under.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago RF1-great point.

If PC were to ever try to permanently duck URI, I would think it might then be a perfect time for a General Assembly committee to do a thorough review of the state owned Dunkin Donuts Center finances with a particular emphasis on low revenues tied to its leases with its major tenants.
5 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

Looking at the comments made by Coach Cox and his players I wonder if this is causing a conflict between Cox and Bjorn. Will this come back to be a deciding factor if Cox starts getting offers from larger schools. It doesn't sound like coach is happy with the original URI response by our AD saying it was a mutual decision by all.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

raminwarwick wrote: 3 years ago Looking at the comments made by Coach Cox and his players I wonder if this is causing a conflict between Cox and Bjorn. Will this come back to be a deciding factor if Cox starts getting offers from larger schools. It doesn't sound like coach is happy with the original URI response by our AD saying it was a mutual decision by all.
Thor needs to maintain a relationship with his counterpart at PC...Cox does not.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

raminwarwick wrote: 3 years ago Looking at the comments made by Coach Cox and his players I wonder if this is causing a conflict between Cox and Bjorn. Will this come back to be a deciding factor if Cox starts getting offers from larger schools. It doesn't sound like coach is happy with the original URI response by our AD saying it was a mutual decision by all.
Reading way too deep. I promise.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

If Rhody is to succeed the coach and AD need to be in line. I think they are, but the coach can be a little bit more vocal than the AD on matters of this kind. For the record I think a neutral site game this season with the “normal rivalry” restarting up again next season @PC is more than fine.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

FTF
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Would URI or PC be hurt more by a discontinuation of the annual URI/PC game? Intelligent people will provide the right answer. Perhaps URI could schedule an annual rivalry game with UNH as a replacement.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Would URI or PC be hurt more by a discontinuation of the annual URI/PC game?
That's a trick question, right?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Would URI or PC be hurt more by a discontinuation of the annual URI/PC game? Intelligent people will provide the right answer. Perhaps URI could schedule an annual rivalry game with UNH as a replacement.
Are you saying you don’t know the right answer? :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Would URI or PC be hurt more by a discontinuation of the annual URI/PC game? Intelligent people will provide the right answer. Perhaps URI could schedule an annual rivalry game with UNH as a replacement.
Are you saying you don’t know the right answer? :roll: :roll: :roll:
The answer to my question provides insight into why Thor agreed mutually with Driscoll to call off the game rather than get into name calling that would destroy the relationship between the two schools to the greater detriment to URI.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago If Thor et al vented their side, it could end up killing the series. We need it more than they do, take the lump of coal and move on...
wow, another really bad take.

calling them out hard is exactly what is appropriate in this situation, if we call them on this, the facts bare out and they cancel the series as a result, it confirms/validates every person who has ever questioned Pee Cee's cup cake scheduling and fear of losing to the lowly A10 state rival.

You would never see Xavier duck Dayton in this manner. These are the games that test your team's mettle, both teams. It will always be one of the most intense games of the season, even when one team any particular season is really bad it will be an intense game, which is exactly what you should want as a coach of either team.
Actually Xavier stopped playing Dayton after joining the Big East.
Xavier and Cincy are the big rivals for the City Bragging Rights.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I truly believe financials, while important, were the lesser of the reasons.

I think the bigger reason is, as Koch put it "The Friars played 13 games against Quadrant 1 opponents in the Big East alone in 2019-20, the sort of frequent opportunities available thanks to membership in a strong conference. Providence is already committed to 20 league games, three quality opponents at the Maui Invitational and one date in the Big East-Big 12 Challenge. With the NCAA limiting programs to a maximum of 27 contests this season instead of the usual 31, the Friars were always going to mix in a lighter touch with their three remaining slots."

If PC thought they had a tournament-caliber team, but lacked tournament-caliber opportunities, they would not prioritize home-game financials over resume building, they'd do what they had to do to play tougher opponents. But when your team could play up to as many as 23-24 Q1/Q2 games out of 27 possible games, you then can consider secondary measures like a) How do we better balance out our schedule b) Is it worth the financial loss?

I've seen people talk about resume and such, PC's scheduling is fine. Pretty much everyone in the Maui field sees themselves as a tournament contender (Q1/Q2 opponent). The only team that might be far-off from that is UNLV, who is on the other side of the bracket and while possible to play, would require balls bouncing in a very specific manner for PC to play them. At TCU is almost a lock at being a Q1/Q2 game. That's 4 Q1/Q2 games already on the OOC schedule. When many teams are likely to schedule 5 OOC games total, that automatically has PC in a great spot with regards to their OOC scheduling, irregardless of who their last 3 OOC opponents are (if they fill all three games).

That makes PC very different than the aformentioned NC St team of 2018-2019, who played 10 of 13 OOC games against teams 100+ in the country, took multiple bad losses, and did not beat any of their top opponents during conference play. Of course any team that had limited marquee wins should be left out of the tournament, and obviously PC would suffer the same fate if they failed to consistently perform against tournament caliber opponents on their schedule. One home game against URI would not change that.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

My bottom line/ last comment on this topic?

PC killing this game disrespects every sports fan in this market.

Any other take is irrelevant BS.
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago My bottom line/ last comment on this topic?

PC killing this game disrespects every sports fan in this market.

Any other take is irrelevant BS.
This.

We've known for years Pee-C thinks its feces smell like roses. This is just more proof.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rivalry games are for the fans and should be held no matter the circumstances. You through out 86 years of history because you are afraid that the rivalry game would be too tough!? The big bad big east team didn't want to play Rhody because we are too good and they want to pad their W-L record with a pansy. If that's what friar town is all about...I'm sure glad I don't live there.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago Rivalry games are for the fans and should be held no matter the circumstances. You through out 86 years of history because you are afraid that the rivalry game would be too tough!? The big bad big east team didn't want to play Rhody because we are too good and they want to pad their W-L record with a pansy. If that's what friar town is all about...I'm sure glad I don't live there.
In a normal year, most teams play a balance of creampuffs and tough competition. There is value in playing the creampuffs - Coaches get to try out different lineups or schemes, they also hopefully get up big and get to play the end of the bench and get those guys experience as well.

You forget, you get to go back into conference play last year, your team had 8 Q3/Q4 games, while PC had 1. PC also played 15 Q1 games, you played 7. That makes it more important for you to go out and bust your ass in OOC and take advantage of every Q1/Q2 opportunity.

PC has no such luxury. If they go play 5 Q1/Q2 OOC games + 18 or so Q1/Q2 conference games, that's 23 Q1/Q2 opportunities out of a max 27 games. You get that softer landing against several conference opponents. PC does not. When are they supposed to try out different lineups or schemes, or get the youth or inexperienced minutes off-the-bench?

It's to PC's advantage that they play in a tough conference and can balance out short/long-term goals during a normal OOC. Unfortunately this is not a normal OOC, and PC has to make not normal decisions. If you go back over the last 5 years, PC plays on average a 31%/69% split of Top 100 opponent to creampuff during OOC. This season, at lowest it's likely going to be a 57%/43% Top 100 to creampuff. PC made a business decision. As Bill Koch so eloquently stated: "Ed Cooley didn’t earn a lucrative contract extension and move his basketball operations into a $40-million practice facility because he’s 7-2 against URI. Providence and its deep-pocketed donors backed their coach after Cooley steered his program to five straight editions of March Madness, and it would have been six out of seven last spring."
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I understand what was written and I understand PC's reasoning...BUT, that doesn't mean I agree with it. The fact of the matter is that game is one of the most popular non-conference games for both fan bases every year.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Of course, you don't think I'd rather see PC play URI at home than TCU on the road?

At the same time, I'd rather PC does what is right for the program, not because of public pressure but what best situates them to a) make the tournament and b) hopefully get some wins there. Unfortunately, they didn't have any wiggle room when it came to TCU due to it being a conference-arranged opponent.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The irony in all this was if we looked like we would have sucked this year PC would have kept the game, even though when we have sucked they question why they play us. bizarro world this year.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Of course, you don't think I'd rather see PC play URI at home than TCU on the road?

At the same time, I'd rather PC does what is right for the program, not because of public pressure but what best situates them to a) make the tournament and b) hopefully get some wins there. Unfortunately, they didn't have any wiggle room when it came to TCU due to it being a conference-arranged opponent.
I mean, can't it be both? If the ultimate goal is to temper your team and get it ready for the Big East schedule, and a tournament run, I think the yearly game with URI is good. You know it is going to be a sellout, high pressure atmosphere, and logistically, it's an intense "away" game that's easier to plan and prepare for. It's probably URI and UConn when it comes to games PC could bus to and from, instead of having to fly out to. Oddly, it's an "away" game against a quality opponent that counts the same in the metrics, vs. if PC decided to play at VCU. It is arguably better for them to play this game, in my opinion, then against an equal or better team at some half-filled tournament.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Of course, you don't think I'd rather see PC play URI at home than TCU on the road?

I’m left to wonder if the Big East had an inkling that the Gavitt games might be canceled this year while the URI-PC game negotiations were taking place. (I have no knowledge as to which conference initiated the cancellation discussions.)
If so, could they have waited until that decision was finalized before deciding that the URI-PC game would not take place? From a PC standpoint, it would be URI taking the place of Northwestern. The cancellation of the Gavitt games opened up an opportunity.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

I mean, can't it be both? If the ultimate goal is to temper your team and get it ready for the Big East schedule, and a tournament run, I think the yearly game with URI is good. You know it is going to be a sellout, high pressure atmosphere, and logistically, it's an intense "away" game that's easier to plan and prepare for. It's probably URI and UConn when it comes to games PC could bus to and from, instead of having to fly out to. Oddly, it's an "away" game against a quality opponent that counts the same in the metrics, vs. if PC decided to play at VCU. It is arguably better for them to play this game, in my opinion, then against an equal or better team at some half-filled tournament.
In a normal year it’s a very obvious yes. And if PC was in a weaker conference, it’s a very obvious yes. But when you play a gauntlet schedule you need a few breaks a long the way as well. Teams in weaker conference have those automatically built in. Teams in stronger conferences do not. At some point you have to balance the pursuit for a strong schedule with what is best for team growth and development. Playing 25-27 out of 27 Q1/Q2 games isn’t a good model for more than a handful of teams. In a normal 13 game OOC schedule, PC very rarely played more than 4 Top 100 teams. Why should they play 4-5 Top 100 teams in a 7 game (or less) shortened schedule?
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

In a normal year it’s a very obvious yes. And if PC was in a weaker conference, it’s a very obvious yes. But when you play a gauntlet schedule you need a few breaks a long the way as well. Teams in weaker conference have those automatically built in. Teams in stronger conferences do not. At some point you have to balance the pursuit for a strong schedule with what is best for team growth and development. Playing 25-27 out of 27 Q1/Q2 games isn’t a good model for more than a handful of teams. In a normal 13 game OOC schedule, PC very rarely played more than 4 Top 100 teams. Why should they play 4-5 Top 100 teams in a 7 game (or less) shortened schedule?
Because this game is a rivalry, the best basketball rivalry in New England and if Covid ain't gonna stop it nothing should stop it.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spin it how you want, but pc dropped the ball here... if there was ever a year to play this game for the fans, 2020 would be it, especially when you consider proximity of the schools and the ease of travel to play the game. Playing and losing to URI is not going to impact PC's chances of getting into the ncaa tournament period and Cooley knows that.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

pc's motto- "It's not about winning in the NCAAT, it's about getting in the NCAAT"
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Pee-C has been looking for an excuse to dodge this game for years. They got one. They should just man up and admit this is what they’ve wanted all along, knowing their apologists in the media and the state house will cover for them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I just googled pc enrollment and had quite the laugh.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Maybe I’m the only one to think this but...
Next year is URI home game at the Ryan. If pee Cee wants to play this is where it is. Sorry you gave your home game up. You could of played this game with no fans like all games this year.
Sorry. I will be cheering even more for pee Cee to get there Ass kicked in every game.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodysk wrote: 3 years ago Maybe I’m the only one to think this but...
Next year is URI home game at the Ryan. If pee Cee wants to play this is where it is. Sorry you gave your home game up. You could of played this game with no fans like all games this year.
Sorry. I will be cheering even more for pee Cee to get there Ass kicked in every game.
To effectively end the series, or make it 'year to year' at best....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago pc's motto- "It's not about winning in the NCAAT, it's about getting in the NCAAT"
You can’t win games in the tournament if you don’t make the tournament.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago pc's motto- "It's not about winning in the NCAAT, it's about getting in the NCAAT"
wait, doesn't pc have like 1 gifted ncaa win in the past quarter century or something like that ?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

1-5 since 2014 almost has that Buffalo Bills feel to it...may not have gotten into as many NCAAs since 2014, but i'll take 2-2 over that mark
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Is this true?

KMatious
Posted on 2 hrs, , User Since 123 months ago, User Post Count: 2,856 2 hrs 123 months 2,856
RichardCoren said... (original post)

If URI is so insistant about playing this game, put their money where their mouths are. Play this year at Alumni with no fans and when the series resumes next year with fans, play at the Dunk. Then it resumes alternating spots. Problem solved.

show less
Exactly. But, they won't.

URI expected next year’s game to be at URI and not at PC? I would think this year would be at OC with no fans but then again next year at PC since this year is really nobody’s home game. PC Moderator says it was to be next year back to URI. True or false??? I really don’t know.
First, who cares what Coren says. Richard Coren is a long time moderator of the PC Board. I have found him to be a good, fair moderator over the years (even though he stopped me from being able to post a number of years ago (I likely deserved it :lol: ) He is very close to the PC Basketball organization. For him to be of the opinion that the game was going to return to URI next year (2021) surprised me. I had heard that this year would be at PC as would next year as well - then return to URI. I know that the majority of PC fans on their 247Friar Board were not happy with the game being cancelled. There are some who theorize that canceling the game was to enable an additional cupcake on the schedule - but that has not been confirmed by the HC's, AD's or anybody in the press.

Fun fact, this year is PC's home game and next year is URI's home game. That's the way it is currently scheduled. 2nd, as I understand it, URI did try to negotiate that PC doesn't lose the home game this year by allowing them to get a home game next year then URI gets it back the year after and alternate again. But I'm willing to bet that if this happened in URI's home year, PC would have tried to keep their home game next year (and they should...it's not their fault what year covid happened and it's not our fault now). This is what I heard as well but neither HC or AD has stated that. Nobody press has said that either - pretty disappointing on the lack of information.

2nd, the statement from Driscoll and Bjorn was that a mutual date couldn't be found. That's obviously BS as the FDU game is a day after the PC/URI game was originally scheduled for. True. Only reason coming from HC's and AD's is they could not arrive on an agreed upon date. Nothing more. I'd prefer that PC simply state that they wanted their schedule to be easier and there were not as many OOC games. Tell the truth, maybe the date is the truth. I'd prefer URI also say exactly what the reasoning was. If it was the purely the date, then fine, but seeing the statements coming from David Cox makes fans doubt that
I'm well aware of who Coren is and while the few interactions I've had with him have been positive, his opinions on this matter are unimportant to me.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess it's obvious that PC doesn't really give a bleep about the game. Though I bet if you poled their fan base you would get a different answer. This smells of a team desperate for some NCAA wins and a coach and administration feeling the pressure. PC is the Susan Lucci of the NCAA tourney.
2 x