2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago
So RJ,

How do you explain this?

Limit of 30 games?
I would gladly welcome further clarification from Bill Koch, but to me it sounds like he’s using the old rules and not the new rules. I’ll gladly admit to be wrong but it doesn’t sound consistent with anything I’ve read since it sounds 27+4 is no longer a thing.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

God all this makes my head hurt. I’ll leave it to DC and his staff to figure it out and get the best schedule they can get. I’ve got enough things to worry about.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
I would gladly welcome further clarification from Bill Koch, but to me it sounds like he’s using the old rules and not the new rules. I’ll gladly admit to be wrong but it doesn’t sound consistent with anything I’ve read since it sounds 27+4 is no longer a thing.
Agree...Very confusing topic.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago
I love Rothstein. If there's an 8th grader in North Dakota ready to make the jump to JV Jon will give you his home/road splits.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Our Brown game scheduled for 12/22 will either be postponed or cancelled:

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a mess this is becoming !!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The Ivys' are being realistic as they are not driven by sports revenue in their decision making.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The loss of games versus the Ivy League will affect many A-10 members. UMass has it worst as it had two games scheduled.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I wonder if this is why URI vs. Harvard was moved to next season?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

I missed this release dated 6/10

KINGSTON, R.I. – The Atlantic 10 announced the home and away pairings for the 2020-21 men's basketball season. Rhode Island's conference slate will be highlighted with a home-and-home series with defending champion Dayton.

The Flyers went unbeaten in A-10 play last season and finished the year ranked No. 3 in both national polls.

The A-10 schedule will consist of 18 games, with five home-and-away matchups among the conference opponents. The five teams Rhode Island will play twice are Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, VCU and Massachusetts.

Also coming to the Ryan Center this season will be George Washington, George Mason, Fordham and Saint Joseph.

Rhody's road games come agains the top of last year's standings. In addition to the home-and-home opponents, the Rams travel to Richmond, Saint Louis, Duquesne and La Salle. Richmond, Saint Louis and Duquesne finished second, fourth and fifth in the final 2019-20 standings.

The dates and tip-off times for the conference games will be announced at a later date.

2019-20 Atlantic 10 Pairings
Home
Dayton - 29-2 (18-0 Atlantic 10)
St. Bonaventure - 19-12 (11-7 Atlantic 10)
Davidson - 16-14 (10-8 Atlantic 10)
VCU - 18-13 (8-10 Atlantic 10)
Massachusetts - 14-17 (8-10 Atlantic 10)
George Washington - 12-20 (6-12 Atlantic 10)
George Mason - 17-15 (5-13 Atlantic 10)
Fordham - 9-22 (2-16 Atlantic 10)
Saint Joseph's - 6-26 (2-16 Atlantic 10)

Away
Dayton - 29-2 (18-0 Atlantic 10)
Richmond - 24-7 (14-4 Atlantic 10)
Saint Louis - 23-8 (12-6 Atlantic 10)
Duquesne - 21-9 (11-7 Atlantic 10)
Davidson - 16-14 (10-8 Atlantic 10)
VCU - 18-13 (8-10 Atlantic 10)
Massachusetts - 14-17 (8-10 Atlantic 10)
La Salle - 15-15 (6-12 Atlantic 10)
Saint Joseph's - 6-26 (2-16 Atlantic 10)

https://gorhody.com/news/2020/6/10/6_10_2020_152.aspx
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2021 A-10 Slate.png

Same as last year - H&H partners Davidson, Dayton, UMass, St Joe's and VCU.

Remains to be seen if there will actually be a season.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Hall of Fame Tip-Off (Nov. 28-29): Minnesota, Marquette, Rhode Island, UCF

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Hall of Fame Tip-Off (Nov. 28-29): Minnesota, Marquette, Rhode Island, UCF

So, that's a week later than originally scheduled.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

No impact on other games which is good.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago No impact on other games which is good.
They aren’t going to play 4 games in 7 days to start the season.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Are they allowed exhibition games? I defintely think this team will need two good exhibition games to get adjusted to game speed with each other
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Are they allowed exhibition games? I defintely think this team will need two good exhibition games to get adjusted to game speed with each other
I read somewhere that there will be no exhibition games allowed.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Are they allowed exhibition games? I defintely think this team will need two good exhibition games to get adjusted to game speed with each other
I read somewhere that there will be no exhibition games allowed.
The best time for some actual secret scrimmages....
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox mentioned in podcast that URI’s OOC schedule all depends on whether the P5s went to play URI. He is waiting on that.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Can we even play UMass? Can ANY A10 team play UMass given Mass's designation of basically the entire country (slight over exaggeration) as high risk and having to quarantine?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Cox mentioned in podcast that URI’s OOC schedule all depends on whether the P5s went to play URI. He is waiting on that.
I'm thinking NO WAY after our waivers.

Sucks. I really liked our schedule.
0 x
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Well that was fun while it lasted haha. Does stink we wont be playing Boise state. Think they have a chance to be a good team this year. Derrick Alston is a very good player would have been nice to watch him play.

Wonder if the challenge will continue in 2021?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t think PC can back out of the game this year, so our base schedule is BC, Marquette, Minnesota/UCF, PC. Not too shabby. Hopefully SHU will agree to stay on the schedule as well. I don’t see why they would be one playing us at home with fans, and not be ok with the empty arena.

I know I am probably in the minority, but I would be ok if the PC game was at PC again next year and the game this year with no fans was at the Ryan. I don’t want our guys anywhere near PC.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think PC can back out of the game this year, so our base schedule is BC, Marquette, Minnesota/UCF, PC. Not too shabby. Hopefully SHU will agree to stay on the schedule as well. I don’t see why they would be one playing us at home with fans, and not be ok with the empty arena.

I know I am probably in the minority, but I would be ok if the PC game was at PC again next year and the game this year with no fans was at the Ryan. I don’t want our guys anywhere near PC.
PC can postpone the game to next year.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think PC can back out of the game this year, so our base schedule is BC, Marquette, Minnesota/UCF, PC. Not too shabby. Hopefully SHU will agree to stay on the schedule as well. I don’t see why they would be one playing us at home with fans, and not be ok with the empty arena.

I know they technically can - there is just no logical reason to not play the team 20 miles away this year with zero travel considerations. We can move the game to any day/night they want because no fans will be there anyways. I do not mind if this does not count for the home and home and they get the home game next year. If they back out completely it is a chicken-shit move.

On a similar note, we should schedule Bryant. Particularly if Brown is not playing non-conference games. Bus trips games in non-conference so we can charter the far road games in conference.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Big East announced they have moved up conference play to start in mid December.
You can say goodbye to the URI/PC game. They already have commitments for 4 or 5 games between Nov 25th and mid Dec.
The BE moved up their conference play because of their increase to 20 conf games and to allow their teams to eliminate some OOC games.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

I know they technically can - there is just no logical reason to not play the team 20 miles away this year with zero travel considerations. We can move the game to any day/night they want because no fans will be there anyways. I do not mind if this does not count for the home and home and they get the home game next year. If they back out completely it is a chicken-shit move.

On a similar note, we should schedule Bryant. Particularly if Brown is not playing non-conference games. Bus trips games in non-conference so we can charter the far road games in conference.
Coaches and conferences care about one thing in scheduling - what gives the team the best chance to make the dance/what gives the conference the opportunity to get as many teams in the dance. That is it. The P5s + BE are going to use the 3 week late start, reduction in games allowed and increase in their conf schedule (BE going to 20 games) as a way to eliminate OOC games vs mid-majors. They have been working on this for years with the creation of events against other P5 Conferences. PC has commitments to the Gavitt Games and the Big East/Big 12 Challenge. Add in the Maui Invitational and they have 5 strong 0OC games (+ 20 BE Conf games). They their strength of schedule.

URI isn’t going to play Bryant. There is zero benefit to URI.

Edit: There are some tweets that the Gavitt Games might not happen because of scheduling conflicts. Games were scheduled for prior to Nov 25th.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Big East is blowing holes in their OOC schedule. If they only lose to each other, they can claim 7-8 teams should get in the Tournament.

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

If they go 20 games so will the A10. Which just need to be more selective in non-conference games and we will be fine.

Honestly replacing a couple of games each year with conference games is not as big of a deal as most think. Typical 9 or 10 A10 teams are above 150 in whatever ranking system you want to use. We usually only play 3 or 4 really strong non-conference games each year, the rest may as well be mid-tier A10 games.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We had a coach who I believe had the most 20 win seasons in school history and never went to an NCAA tournament because he packed the OOC schedule with cupcake opponents. The question is whether we will be able to retain quality OOC opponents.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The A10 is not considering a 20 game league schedule.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago We had a coach who I believe had the most 20 win seasons in school history and never went to an NCAA tournament because he packed the OOC schedule with cupcake opponents. The question is whether we will be able to retain quality OOC opponents.
You and others on this forum hold onto this theme, but if you examine the archives in depth any difference in the number of Baron cupcakes is at best negligible. I'm not here to defend Baron, but to defend the truth. If there is any discernable difference in URI scheduling is that in recent years we have been invited to better quality early season tournaments which is the result of making and playing well in the NCAA. Baron's record will always be marred by his lack of making the NCAA tournament.

BTW, Cox's first season was no blockbuster in the OOC. In comparison, Baron's first year was stronger and, unlike Cox, he inherited a mess of team, gratis to Jerry D.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago We had a coach who I believe had the most 20 win seasons in school history and never went to an NCAA tournament because he packed the OOC schedule with cupcake opponents. The question is whether we will be able to retain quality OOC opponents.
You and others on this forum hold onto this theme, but if you examine the archives in depth any difference in the number of Baron cupcakes is at best negligible. I'm not here to defend Baron, but to defend the truth. If there is any discernable difference in URI scheduling is that in recent years we have been invited to better quality early season tournaments which is the result of making and playing well in the NCAA. Baron's record will always be marred by his lack of making the NCAA tournament.

BTW, Cox's first season was no blockbuster in the OOC. In comparison, Baron's first year was stronger and, unlike Cox, he inherited a mess of team, gratis to Jerry D.
It wasn't the OOC that screwed Baron it was the team falling apart against the Atlantic 10. I mean in 08-09 we played VCU, Penn State, Akron who went to the dance, PC, Oklahoma State, Villanova and Duke. You gotta take care of business in the A-10 no matter what.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It wasn't the OOC that screwed Baron it was the team falling apart against the Atlantic 10. I mean in 08-09 we played VCU, Penn State, Akron who went to the dance, PC, Oklahoma State, Villanova and Duke. You gotta take care of business in the A-10 no matter what.
You are absolutely right Peter. I only referenced the OOC teams in response to R72's comments. The reason that Baron never made the NCAA is because even in his good overall record years, his A-10 record was less than dazzling - he never won more than 12 conference games in any year. He had losing conference records in 5 of his 11 year tenure.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago ...
You are absolutely right Peter. I only referenced the OOC teams in response to R72's comments. The reason that Baron never made the NCAA is because even in his good overall record years, his A-10 record was less than dazzling - he never won more than 12 conference games in any year. He had losing conference records in 5 of his 11 year tenure.
Baron played a weak OOC schedule but also did poorly in the A10 especially later in the season. An example from one of Baron's better A10 season is 2007-2008 when the team finished 3rd in the A10 but had an SOS that ranked 10th in the A10. This type of scheduling doesn't get you an at-large invitation to dance.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not a surprise.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Not a surprise.
No. Not at all. Nearly every previously scheduled URI 2020 OOC game will probably not be happening. Right now the Mohegan HOF Tip-Off games are possibly the best bets to occur.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

While it may not be a “surprise” to some it is horseshit. If the actual worry is COVID, then you would find time to play the team 20 miles away in the same freakin state. So clearly they aren’t worried about travel with COVID (which I think we all know already).
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
While it may not be a “surprise” to some it is horseshit. If the actual worry is COVID, then you would find time to play the team 20 miles away in the same freakin state. So clearly they aren’t worried about travel with COVID (which I think we all know already).
I think the problem is that people need to realize this is not a normal year.

The idea that a team can just "pop up/down" the road does not exist.

Teams will want more off-time between games in case there is a COVID-related issue to do adequate contact tracing/testing so games don't have to be postponed and/or played with multiple players in quarantine.

College Football can semi get away with that because there are 100+ kids on a roster and they have 7 days between every game. In basketball you have max 13 kids and 7-8 key rotation pieces, not to forget that the stars will always be the stars.

All teams are going to have tournament commitments they want to play, and then whatever box they decide with conference play. The conference is also going to prioritize trying to make potential challenges work(Big 12/Big Ten), as those are conference events.

It leaves a very small window to try to accomplish other OOC games, especially if both teams already have other commitments. Right off the bat the HOF is Nov 28-29 and Maui is Nov 30 - Dec 2nd. Between travel and such, already cutting into potential dates.

There aren't going to be situations this year where teams play 3 games in 5-6 days.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x