Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I really like 6 of our 7 players though! I can be persuaded on DJ too, but I am less sure about him. If we replace Wood with a grad transfer guard, I may actually feel better about next years team because we are only relying on 2 freshmen. Then bring in more high quality sit out transfers for the year after and we are in business.

There is a possibility that there is no college basketball next year anyways (or it gets cut short when flu season hits) so I don’t see the need to go hard for next year. We are fielding a strong but not deep team. Sounds a lot like this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I really like 6 of our 7 players though! I can be persuaded on DJ too, but I am less sure about him. If we replace Wood with a grad transfer guard, I may actually feel better about next years team because we are only relying on 2 freshmen. Then bring in more high quality sit out transfers for the year after and we are in business.

There is a possibility that there is no college basketball next year anyways (or it gets cut short when flu season hits) so I don’t see the need to go hard for next year. We are fielding a strong but not deep team. Sounds a lot like this year.
Agree with this.

With all the new players plus the likelihood that there won't be the usual preparation time [team practices, strength and conditioning etc.] before any season might begin, I don't expect a lot, really.

And that's even if they are all eligible. We will basically have an entirely new team.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Updated with Betrand commit.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 9.25.00 PM.png
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

RhodyMBB_grid.png
Updated with Carey commit. Assuming he gets a medical redshirt.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow we are NCAA good in the 2021-22 season baby !!
3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

How good this year's team becomes is basically going to come down to Harris, in my opinion, since he's our only real big guy this year. I view Walker as more of a power forward than a center, even though he'll probably play in a center-like roll at times I would imagine. Going to be interesting. I continue to hold out hope for Jermaine and have faith he will come back stronger & more mentally prepared than ever.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Ileri Ayo-Faleye commit.
Attachments
29FD4D0A-B217-4FD8-A36C-996BB96EA3C0.png
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like we will be dancing in a March of 22
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I like that first column finally filled with all quality players
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If all the transfers get waivers to play this season, (and there is a season) then we'll be dancing in 2021 and 2022.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The summer is a great time to be a URI MBB fan. Pay up fast for season tickets before all tickets are sold out. Room for new advertising in the Ryan Ctr is severely limited.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Twins eligibility and expected Betrand Red Shirt.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
Last edited by CamsRams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago If all the transfers get waivers to play this season, (and there is a season) then we'll be dancing in 2021 and 2022.
I like your optimism!
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Jalen Carey waiver.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Updated with Jalen Carey waiver.
I think there's still a good chance that Carey gets another year because of his injury last year.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
I think there's still a good chance that Carey gets another year because of his injury last year.
He’s eligible for three years
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 3 years ago
I didn't know he already got the medical redshirt from last season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not sure he officially was granted a medical redshirt yet, probably just assuming he will be granted one. I thought I heard that you can't actually apply for medical redshirt year until your normal eligibility runs out. I may be wrong on this.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 3 years ago

I didn't know he already got the medical redshirt from last season.
Should've added according to Mr. Koch "One of the most highly-rated commitments received by the Rams in the last decade will retain three years of eligibility in Kingston."

FWIW: Also listed as a redshirt sophmore on the roster on gorhody.com

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... ble-at-uri
Last edited by RhodyRams12 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Carey, a Harlem, N.Y. native, will have three seasons of eligibility for Rhode Island. Coming out of high school, he was a consensus four-star recruit in the class of 2018. ESPN.com ranked him as the No. 38 prospect overall nationally, making him one of the highest-rated recruits in URI history. Out of high school, the list of programs that recruited him included the likes of Kansas, Villanova, Miami, Rutgers and UConn.

https://gorhody.com/news/2020/8/19/mens ... eason.aspx
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Malik Martin waiver.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I thought Bertrand had 3 years of eligibility, or am I thinking of Carey?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I thought Bertrand had 3 years of eligibility, or am I thinking of Carey?
You are thinking of Carey
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I thought Bertrand had 3 years of eligibility, or am I thinking of Carey?
You are thinking of Carey
Thanks!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like we have a big competition for minutes . I don’t see much playing time for Ish and Tres
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Adbou Samb '21 verbal commit
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What is Cox's sales pitch for recruiting players to URI? He has to win to keep his job. Building a program with players committed for 4 years is a thing of the past and can get you fired.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As we are well aware, there are no guarantees that players stay for the duration or coaching staffs for that matter, but you still need to actively recruit from the high school and prep ranks every year. This is the only way you build pipelines into the programs developing relationships, which will also help you gain advantages in pursuing transfers. I am not sure what you are getting at 72'.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago As we are well aware, there are no guarantees that players stay for the duration or coaching staffs for that matter, but you still need to actively recruit from the high school and prep ranks every year. This is the only way you build pipelines into the programs developing relationships, which will also help you gain advantages in pursuing transfers. I am not sure what you are getting at 72'.
He’s getting at nothing. His purpose is NIL.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Four year commits are not a thing of the past, the landscape is shifting yes and currently we're in a transfer flurry. I actually think the coach/team's adjustment to this is in progress, no more open scholarships. Two, three or four year players, doesn't matter, get those spots filled with recruits the coach feels can be a part of the program's success. No more of that open scholarships are 'strategic' thing. If we miss out on a good mid-season transfer because we're already loaded with guys that can contribute then oh well.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago What is Cox's sales pitch for recruiting players to URI? He has to win to keep his job. Building a program with players committed for 4 years is a thing of the past and can get you fired.
There’s a positive spin after an updated scholarship tracker that has one open scholarship for the next two seasons.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

In talking with two of the Ast Coaches in early March they mentioned a two prong approach. They did say transfer recruiting will be the priority the next 3-4 years. This was assuming the transfer rule change passes this year.

I can see them recruiting two Fr per year and filling other scholarships with transfers.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Four year commits are not a thing of the past, the landscape is shifting yes and currently we're in a transfer flurry. I actually think the coach/team's adjustment to this is in progress, no more open scholarships. Two, three or four year players, doesn't matter, get those spots filled with recruits the coach feels can be a part of the program's success. No more of that open scholarships are 'strategic' thing. If we miss out on a good mid-season transfer because we're already loaded with guys that can contribute then oh well.
I disagree, I do think 4 year impact player scholarships are a thing of the past. There will still be some, but not major contributors. Get a guy now that has potential to contribute here in year one or two...he's going to think (or be convinced by those around him) that he can play up another level - especially if he can transfer without sitting. I say, let them do that someplace else. Coach is now a GM....Portal Palooza, baby! Get proven players that can't transfer out. Don't really see the need to work the HS pipeline at all anymore.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think it is always important to develop a high school or prep pipeline and if you are able to attract talented recruits you pursue it. If you develop a strong program you will always have a pool of quality players that are interested. Also those pipelines will pay dividends when there are transfers available and may seek advice through those connections that have been developed. Besides that, there will be some players that may actually enjoy the college experience at the school and not want to leave.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In addition, do you think we would of been able to get the Mitchell twins had it not been for Cox's strong recruiting ties and pipeline in the DMV area? Also the only reason we were able to attract Malik here was because of his brother's 4 year experience at URI. Having Fatts here also helped in getting Betrand to transfer to URI, who also hails from Philadelphia. Just thought I would point out a few current examples of why it will always be important to work the HS pipeline.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Four year commits are not a thing of the past, the landscape is shifting yes and currently we're in a transfer flurry. I actually think the coach/team's adjustment to this is in progress, no more open scholarships. Two, three or four year players, doesn't matter, get those spots filled with recruits the coach feels can be a part of the program's success. No more of that open scholarships are 'strategic' thing. If we miss out on a good mid-season transfer because we're already loaded with guys that can contribute then oh well.
I disagree, I do think 4 year impact player scholarships are a thing of the past. There will still be some, but not major contributors. Get a guy now that has potential to contribute here in year one or two...he's going to think (or be convinced by those around him) that he can play up another level - especially if he can transfer without sitting. I say, let them do that someplace else. Coach is now a GM....Portal Palooza, baby! Get proven players that can't transfer out. Don't really see the need to work the HS pipeline at all anymore.
While I respect your opinion and understand why you feel this way, I'm really glad you don't make these decisions for the program. I'm a big fan of looking forward, assessing, adapting and acting, however, IMO, It is not prudent to abandon the past as we look to adapt for the future.

I'm going to refer to Jersey's previous couple of posts to highlight some of the finer points of why it is still prudent at this point to recruit players at the high school level. And add that the goal is to be a program that top players want to transfer into because we're playing/competing at the highest levels, in which case we would be recruiting the HS players that are projected to become NBA players.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
While I respect your opinion and understand why you feel this way, I'm really glad you don't make these decisions for the program. I'm a big fan of looking forward, assessing, adapting and acting, however, IMO, It is not prudent to abandon the past as we look to adapt for the future.

I'm going to refer to Jersey's previous couple of posts to highlight some of the finer points of why it is still prudent at this point to recruit players at the high school level. And add that the goal is to be a program that top players want to transfer into because we're playing/competing at the highest levels, in which case we would be recruiting the HS players that are projected to become NBA players.
I kinda sorta see your point and suppose it makes sense to keep all pursuit lanes open. I do think over time, if the one transfer/no sit rule applies, and movement is more regular, HS recruiting will be less important as existing HS and recruiting connections become more distant and the landscape continues to change. But for now, I agree that it's a good thing I'm not making those decisions...fun to watch, though. And, while I can appreciate 'development' of players, I don't mind them coming to the program and contributing from the get-go.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Yeah, I didn't think you actually meant abandon HS recruiting, full stop. I figured you might have been being singular in order to make a point.

One thing to make clear about myself and my outlook for the future of the program; I'm always envisioning a future where players are desperate to play for Rhody because we are the cream of the crop. In which case we will have 8-9 great players with NBA career aspirations and 4-5 great practice mates, content to be a smaller (in terms of playing time) but vital part of a winning program.

Go Rhody!!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with anticipated Ayo-Faleye red shirt.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Can’t Sheppard get another year back?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Typically you get 5 years to play 4, Sheppard lost a year because of academic issues. The NCAA has only granted a 6th year if the player missed a season due to an injury or medical condition.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's possible he gets another year. College football players won't have this year count against their eligibility. Might make that ruling for Bball.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago It's possible he gets another year. College football players won't have this year count against their eligibility. Might make that ruling for Bball.
That could be true depending on how the NCAA rules on winter sports. This is a crazy year so anything is possible, I was surprised on how generous they were in granting waivers.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago It's possible he gets another year. College football players won't have this year count against their eligibility. Might make that ruling for Bball.
That could be true depending on how the NCAA rules on winter sports. This is a crazy year so anything is possible, I was surprised on how generous they were in granting waivers.
It will not happen if there is a completed college basketball season.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Chance Sniper Stephens commit.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Heckuva nucleus for 22-23 if no one leaves.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Heckuva nucleus for 22-23 if no one leaves.
Very few of the players listed for 22-23 will be here unless they are getting 10+ mins/game in 20-21. The ties they have to URI is measured in playing minutes. This is the era of the Athlete-Student, not Student-Athlete.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Some may leave even if they are getting more than 10 minutes. Sad but true.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

4 of those 22-24 players cannot leave without sitting a year. It is the added benefit of our transfer misfortunes this year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago 4 of those 22-24 players cannot leave without sitting a year. It is the added benefit of our transfer misfortunes this year.
Not necessarily, if Carey and AB receive their degree they can transfer without sitting, no penalty (same with the twins a year later). Also with this year not counting against eligibility, there will be much speculation if players decide to stay an additional year.
0 x