Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago If the team isn’t tested before they practice again I would be shocked.
They are going to be tested again this week.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
If they don't play they will be more likely to go out and party.
He said while riding his rainbow unicorn ...
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago If the team isn’t tested before they practice again I would be shocked.
They are going to be tested again this week.
I imagine they have been and will be tested frequently.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What about regular college students non athletes how often are they required to be tested ??
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Why isn't Martin in Storrs area nightclubs?
Have you ever been to Storrs? if you had you probably wouldn't ask.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

They are especially tested when they return back to campus before they practice. Very stringent
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My sources indicate that the event that Fatts was at with Martin was a going away party for Davida Dale who is heading overseas to play professionally

Not just a random night out on the town.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago My sources indicate that the event that Fatts was at with Martin was a going away party for Davida Dale who is heading overseas to play professionally

Not just a random night out on the town.
I saw the IG story. That club was packed like pre-COVID. It was unbelievable that it was happening. Even more that it was posted...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

IF CBB can be derailed by college kids being college kids...probably shouldn't even attempt it.
I want them to play, but if 'acting like a college student' can put the season in jeopardy...it's silly to even try to start.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Fatts doesn’t have COVID for the life of Christ.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago Fatts doesn’t have COVID for the life of Christ.
He probably doesn’t, but his judgement in this situation sucks.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

I think Tom Moore reserved the table.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Note to TruePoint:

Please start a new room called Damn Those Kids!

It can be filled with old farts yelling about kids today :?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
How is that not true?

If they play they will be incentivized to not hang out with people.

So in January when the season is going on and they're getting tested frequently they will be like "oh well, still going to the hookah bar"

No they're 100% more likely to go out and be with the general public more without the incentivization to not do so. With Cox breathing down their necks to stay away from people.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

How is that not true?

So in January when the season is going on and they're getting tested frequently they will be like "oh well, still going to the hookah bar"

No they're 100% more likely to go out and be with the general public more without the incentivization to not do so. With Cox breathing down their necks to stay away from people.
Disagree. College kids are gonna college kid. The only way I think we get a season is if the state of the world is such that..college kids can be college kids. If it's so dangerous that they can't be kids, probably best to bag it because, what's the likelihood a bunch of mostly minors, are going to be able to be that responsible, 100% of the time, for 5 months? (And, I am NOT faulting the kids at all) People will be on pins and needles every day (like much of this board?) and players will be getting karen-ed all over the place - just like the above...it will be gross. If they want to give it a go, great, I just can't see a season happening with restrictions. Actually, I can maybe see a season starting with restrictions...but not playing all the way through.

I'm thinking at this point, in the absence of full blown regular season...will try to see if my season tix can be for next year, and take my chances with individual game purchases if there are any this year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

How is that not true?

Disagree. College kids are gonna college kid. The only way I think we get a season is if the state of the world is such that..college kids can be college kids. If it's so dangerous that they can't be kids, probably best to bag it because, what's the likelihood a bunch of mostly minors, are going to be able to be that responsible, 100% of the time, for 5 months? (And, I am NOT faulting the kids at all) People will be on pins and needles every day (like much of this board?) and players will be getting karen-ed all over the place - just like the above...it will be gross. If they want to give it a go, great, I just can't see a season happening with restrictions. Actually, I can maybe see a season starting with restrictions...but not playing all the way through.

I'm thinking at this point, in the absence of full-blown regular season...will try to see if my season tix can be for next year, and take my chances with individual game purchases if there are any this year.
It will be easier to accomplish with basketball because fewer players mean less of a possibility of one getting the virus. However, if you have an outbreak it will force you to cancel games as you don't have the roster size of a football team. One outbreak will keep you from having future outbreaks because they will thus build immunity.

The issue with college football right now is the contact tracing. If you are near somebody with it then you have to quarantine up to 14 days, even if you test negative multiple times because of the incubation period of the virus.

According to the CDC though, that type of procedure shouldn't be warranted. They said on August 26th that asymptomatic people do not need to be tested for coronavirus, even if they have been in close contact with an infected person. If they liberalize their protocols it would be much easier to keep a season afloat.

Otherwise, most football players have gotten sick when they're sent home. A lot of them are committed to isolating themselves from the public. I know college kids will be college kids, but if the incentivization is there, it will make a difference and thus make them less likely to get the virus.

We are also a long long way off from November and the national case and death totals continue to go down steadily, so that is hopeful.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I hope there's a season as well. But, I think if we're going to rely on the extracurricular choices of teenagers and 20-22 year olds to act responsibly to save/start, or keep the season going, we are seriously fooling ourselves. Again, I hope the season happens, but if it has to depend on kids not being kids...can probably fughettaboutit. Needs to be more solid than that.
2 x
ProviPaul87
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ProviPaul87 »

Just saw this...

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/col ... 9dd4c.html

national list of 'lesser known stars' including Fatts!
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago Fatts doesn’t have COVID for the life of Christ.
He probably doesn’t, but his judgement in this situation sucks.
DM if you want to know facts
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago
Congrats to Fatts...but 3 out of the 15 are A10 players. That is a good look!
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

It's going to be awful if I cant see Fatts at the Ryan center in person his senior year
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 3 years ago It's going to be awful if I cant see Fatts at the Ryan center in person his senior year
.......yeah, for sure, think about how he feels.......’oh great a virtual senior nite celebration......’
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Summary
9 Seniors
5 Juniors
1 Freshman

9 from P5 Conferences
3 from A10

Jalen Crutcher Dayton SR
Jacob Gilyard Richmond SR
Fatts Russell URI SR

McKinley Wright IV Colorado SR
Colbey Ross Pepperdine SR
Geo Baker Rutgers SR
Collin Gillespie Villanova SR
Marcus Garrett Kansas SR
Rent Martin Arizona State SR

Marcus Zegarowski Creighton JR
Kihei Clark Virginia JR
Ja’Vonte Smart LSU JR
Jared Butler Baylor JR
Ago Dosunmu Illinois JR

Cade Cunningham Oklahoma State FR
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
RhodysRelevant wrote: 3 years ago It's going to be awful if I cant see Fatts at the Ryan center in person his senior year
.......yeah, for sure, think about how he feels.......’oh great a virtual senior nite celebration......’
It is going to be awful. Put it on the list of awful things. 2020 sucks.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Go Rams
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Go Rams »

He could come back for another season and have a sold out Senior night. He would also be the leader of a deep, dominant 2022 team and (maybe most importantly for his legacy) finish his career as the Rams all-time leading scorer. Unless he is a guaranteed first round pick, that has to be more appealing than $100k of pre-tax earnings in a league he can join the following year if he isn’t a first round pick by 2022.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see this as an inexplicable snub. These 5 guys are outstanding defensive players.

Fatts gets a ton of steals but opposing teams were taking it to Fatts offensively towards the end of last season and having good results.

1st Teams A10 is deserving.

0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thank you for all the chills, spills and thrills. I'm gonna miss you like crazy but want nothing but the best for you because you deserve it my man!!

5 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Shooting stats weren't great, but the kid played his heart out in his last game in Kingston. A Ram forever.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody basketball legend and URI Hall of Famer.
1 x
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Even when clearly playing through injury he was making highlight plays tonight.

Thank you Fatts for all the effort and plays throughout the years.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We won’t have another player like Fatts here for YEARS.
2 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So happy that Fatts had this kind of Senior Night. This guy is all heart and deserved this night.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pleased that Fatts was able to go out a winner and set the program all time steals record in his last Ryan Center game. May this night forever hold happy and special moments for him.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

LOVE YOU FATTS
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hats of to you Fatts you gave it your all and have the best attitude you are a true winner

I loved the stat they showed only Fatts and Tyson W only players in URI history 1500 points 300 rebounds ?? Assists ?? Steals
1 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

THANK YOU Mr RUSSELL! PROUD THAT YOU ARE A RAM. That final kiss of the RI logo says it all. A warrior.
5 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I agree with everything said above. Fatts will be welcomed back to Kingston with thunderous applause every time he comes for a visit. I wish him huge success in the future!!!!
4 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Fatts has been and always will be the MAN!!! Great career and he has played his heart out every game. As previously stated his shot in the Oklahoma game against Young has to be the most electric shot in URI history other than a game winning shot at the buzzer. He had one of those also vs Harvard and his game vs the Criers as a freshman was awesome. I can go on and on but this guy has had a spectacular career as a beloved RAM.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He sure did and he will have his name in the record book in a few categories we will miss you Fatts R
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Terrific appreciation of Fatts on the ProJo.pickandpop podcast.

0 x
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

Given the NCAA Covid ruling, should Fatts return next year?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why college basketball's 'free year' is going to make for some difficult conversations
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... versations

In the moments that followed Rhode Island's win over Dayton in the Rams' final home game last week, star guard Fatts Russell was asked about his 2021-22 plans.

"I just want to finish this," Russell told reporters, confirming he didn't plan on using the extra season of eligibility. "I'm just going to go out there for the rest of this year and give it all."

While the comments didn't come as a surprise to URI head coach David Cox -- especially since Russell had written "One last time in the Ryan center" in his Instagram story the day before -- the two hadn't had a real conversation to discuss a final decision on next season. And that's not unique to Cox and Russell. Several coaches told ESPN this week they don't know with certainty which seniors are leaving and which are coming back.

"I almost think it's disrespectful to those young men [to discuss it]," Cox told ESPN. "It's like talking to another player about next season. I want to make sure he stayed focused and I stayed focused. We gotta roll with the punches [in the] postseason either way. There's all sorts of movement anyway. It's been a free-for-all the last few summers."
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts has been and always will be the MAN!!! Great career and he has played his heart out every game. As previously stated his shot in the Oklahoma game against Young has to be the most electric shot in URI history other than a game winning shot at the buzzer. He had one of those also vs Harvard and his game vs the Criers as a freshman was awesome. I can go on and on but this guy has had a spectacular career as a beloved RAM.
I'll disagree (spectacular career?) and leave it at that. I'm happy that he's going to leave with a college degree and he represented URI well. I wish him nothing but success as he moves on.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

He broke an all time program record, won a regular season A10 championship and helped his team advance in the tournament. How does that not translate to a spectacular career? I'll follow Fatts career and am a fan for life.
3 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts has been and always will be the MAN!!! Great career and he has played his heart out every game. As previously stated his shot in the Oklahoma game against Young has to be the most electric shot in URI history other than a game winning shot at the buzzer. He had one of those also vs Harvard and his game vs the Criers as a freshman was awesome. I can go on and on but this guy has had a spectacular career as a beloved RAM.
I'll disagree (spectacular career?) and leave it at that. I'm happy that he's going to leave with a college degree and he represented URI well. I wish him nothing but success as he moves on.
Saying Fatts hasn’t had a spectacular career is just sour grapes and jealously.

Not many URI players can say they’ve had his career.
3 x
Go Rhody