Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Exciting year if they get to play
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

They still need time to gel. If the OOC schedule is truncated, the first few conference games may be rough.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Thread updated.

Projection:

5 Guards
3 Fowards
2 Centers
1 Redshirt Forward

Starting lineup theories?

Fatts Russell - G
Jeremy Sheppard - G
Jalen Carey - 3G
Makhi Mitchell - F
Jermaine Harris - C
Don’t see Carey starting at 3G/SF. He is 6’3” and Rhody will start a small backcourt with Fatts and Sheppard (6’1”).
They don’t have the depth to play a 3G lineup.
Either Malik Martin (6’6”) or DJ (6’7”) will start at SF.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I will pray to everything holy, and to all religious figures, that there is a season this year.

I haven't been down on Cox, even after the recent transfers I blamed the university not him, and he has really delivered on these incoming transfers.

These next couple seasons should produce great results. We will really see how he is as a coach with this squad.
5 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Thread updated.

Projection:

5 Guards
3 Fowards
2 Centers
1 Redshirt Forward

Starting lineup theories?

Fatts Russell - G
Jeremy Sheppard - G
Jalen Carey - 3G
Makhi Mitchell - F
Jermaine Harris - C
Don’t see Carey starting at 3G/SF. He is 6’3” and Rhody will start a small backcourt with Fatts and Sheppard (6’1”).
They don’t have the depth to play a 3G lineup.
Either Malik Martin (6’6”) or DJ (6’7”) will start at SF.
Yeah, probably makes sense to have Carey come off the bench. Could also see Walker start at the 3. Either way, you could see Cox go to a guard heavy lineup when they need points. Nice blend of size, athleticism and scoring. Curious to see how the defense shapes up.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

If Malik Martin is eligible, he'll start at the 3, sure.

I don't see DJ starting, but could be a pretty solid contributor off the bench in an offensive capacity.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago St. Louis and Richmond still look like the clear favorites for winning the A-10, they are both loaded with all conference talent. URI still has a lot of unknowns including how all the new faces will mesh together and if Sheppard, Walker, Harris and the Mitchell twins play up to their potential. We are probably in the next tier with Dayton, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, and possibly Duquesne. It is still way to early to predict because many teams still waiting on waiver requests. If our other waivers are granted that would greatly increase our chances of contending for the conference title. My concern is if the OOC games are cancelled, the mid-level conferences would get very few tournament bids. These teams wouldn't get the opportunity to prove themselves against the power conferences and get national exposure. Conferences like the A-10 would probably only get 2 bids at most. All this is only conjecture because there is a chance the entire season may get cancelled anyway, but it gives us something to talk about.
Yeah college football without nonconference games can make sense, college basketball without nonconference games, not so much.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

My projected starters:
Fatts- PG
Sheppard - SG
Walker - SF
Harris - PF/C
Makhi Mitchell - PF/C
Carey will get plenty of minutes subbing for Fatts and Sheppard, rotating as a 3rd guard. DJ will rotate in for Walker and Harris and so will Makhei coming in for Harris and his brother. Berry and Leggett spot duty at the guards, can possibly see Berry redshirting but not likely. If Martin gets his waiver he may start at SG or SF. Ileri hopefully redshirts to gain weight and build up his strength. This team now has excellent balance and lot's of depth because of the waivers and will contend with St. Louis and Richmond for the A10 (a lot of difference a week makes). Anyway this is just my $.02 for what it is worth.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not going to speculate on a starting 5, but pretty sure Carey will be in it...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I thought about Carey in a 3 guard starting lineup, but it may take him a little while to fit in. Also can use a little experienced guard strength coming off the bench. Sheppard had a very strong freshman year at ECU in a competitive AAC conference (made the freshman all conference team).
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago My projected starters:
Fatts- PG
Sheppard - SG
Walker - SF
Harris - PF/C
Makhi Mitchell - PF/C
Carey will get plenty of minutes subbing for Fatts and Sheppard, rotating as a 3rd guard. DJ will rotate in for Walker and Harris and so will Makhei coming in for Harris and his brother. Berry and Leggett spot duty at the guards, can possibly see Berry redshirting but not likely. If Martin gets his waiver he may start at SG or SF. Ileri hopefully redshirts to gain weight and build up his strength. This team now has excellent balance and lot's of depth because of the waivers and will contend with St. Louis and Richmond for the A10 (a lot of difference a week makes). Anyway this is just my $.02 for what it is worth.
Get that waiver for Malik and we are set big time!

We finally have size! Just need everybody to end up being good...
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

I wonder what Rod would say about finally having big men. He'd be livid over covid. I miss his takes ha
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 3 years ago I wonder what Rod would say about finally having big men. He'd be livid over covid. I miss his takes ha
He must have blessed us from above!

And I'm sure the fact we have twins 6'9 and 6'10 (arguably not identical if not the same height ) would maybe be the only thing keeping him sane right now.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Need another update. 😜
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Locked in and loaded!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Great roster!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

This will be the All Big Hair Team. :lol:
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

OP updated, maybe for the last time?

Starting lineup projection:

Fatts Russell - G
Jeremy Sheppard - G
Malik Martin -G/F
Makhi Mitchell - F
Jermaine Harris - C

6th man: Jalen Carey

Deep bench:
Makhel Mitchell - C
Ishmael Leggett - G
Tres Berry - G
DJ Johnson - F
Antwan Walker - F
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well balanced. Fast, quick, hops, size, ball handling, shooting. Wish it were a full season.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

What can you say about Cox? Unbelievable recruiting effort, by any measure.

Allen Betrand waiting in the wings.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We are top 4 in the A-10 just based on us out talentening teams.

That is a straight up power 5 roster.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......all we need now is a season......as always August depth leaves me being cautious......like where we are though........wonder if Cosch Cox is thinking; how do you like me now......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Coaches who took chances on potentially ineligible transfers are big winners this year. While I hold coaches totally responsible when their luck is bad, I give them full credit when their luck is good. But, it is too early to make this call. Year after year there is so much hype over the talent of every new face, most fail to meet expectations. It is not just individual talent that makes a great team, but it is a necessary ingredient. Will all players on the team accept their role or will players be more concerned about showcasing their individual skills? Based on their pasts, I'm more concerned with this group than with past teams. I don't see the player who will be the glue that keeps them together.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Of course we have a negative take from 72 on the roster that includes: 1. An all American level player, 2. Three highly rated bigs who are actually tall for once, 3. multiple guards and wing players who are good shooters.

The things many of us have complained about on the roster for years are resolved by this proposed lineup. I am pumped to see if it fits together. Antwan is going to be the glue guy on this team - book it.
5 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Ummm. I guess 72 has never watched Malik martin play. The ideal do the little things to win games type glue guy. If your looking for one on this team it will be Malik martin book that.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago Ummm. I guess 72 has never watched Malik martin play. The ideal do the little things to win games type glue guy. If your looking for one on this team it will be Malik martin book that.
I'm most curious to see Malik play, hoping he can give the production that we lost from Tyrese. We certainly know he has warrior in his DNA.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Coaches who took chances on potentially ineligible transfers are big winners this year. While I hold coaches totally responsible when their luck is bad, I give them full credit when their luck is good. But, it is too early to make this call. Year after year there is so much hype over the talent of every new face, most fail to meet expectations. It is not just individual talent that makes a great team, but it is a necessary ingredient. Will all players on the team accept their role or will players be more concerned about showcasing their individual skills? Based on their pasts, I'm more concerned with this group than with past teams. I don't see the player who will be the glue that keeps them together.
Another negative post.
“It is too early to make this call”
“ Year after year there is so much hype over the talent of every new face, most fail to meet expectations.”
“Based on their pasts, I’m more concerned with this group than with past teams.”
“I don't see the player who will be the glue that keeps them together.“

4 negative comments on this roster 😳.

The good point about having 11 players who could contribute is you don’t need all of them to meet 72’s “hype over their talent”.
You need 7-8 out of the 11 to deliver. I am confident at least 7-8 will deliver and will be the core rotation that gets 10+ minutes/game consistently.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This team is loaded with quality depth at all positions. One of the biggest problems this staff may have is trying to keeping everyone happy with their playing time, not a bad problem to have. Ileri will probably redshirt and maybe Berry if he agrees. I hope the freshman don't have high expectations about getting plenty of minutes, which probably won't happen unless we have injuries. Having a front court rotation with the Mitchell twins, Harris, Walker, DJ, and Martin as SG/SF is a luxury we seldom had. I would love to see how this team would match up against quality opponents out of conference, I hope we get that opportunity. If there is a shortened season the mid level conferences will suffer as far as getting NCAA bids.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
Another negative post.
“It is too early to make this call”
“ Year after year there is so much hype over the talent of every new face, most fail to meet expectations.”
“Based on their pasts, I’m more concerned with this group than with past teams.”
“I don't see the player who will be the glue that keeps them together.“

4 negative comments on this roster 😳.

The good point about having 11 players who could contribute is you don’t need all of them to meet 72’s “hype over their talent”.
You need 7-8 out of the 11 to deliver. I am confident at least 7-8 will deliver and will be the core rotation that gets 10+ minutes/game consistently.
I've seen it all before. This is a young group with high individual expectations with one returnee who expects the ball all the time. Who are the glue players?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think Martin could fill that role, he is hard nose player, tough defender, not afraid to mix it up, and a capable scorer. One thing Fatts learned during the draft evaluations is that he needs to make the correct decisions with the ball in his hands, if he expects to get to the next level. Fatts has great hands and is a quick defender and a lot of our success will depend on his play. I feel we have more options on the offensive side this year certainly in the paint, hopefully our talent will match our play. Also if Sheppard's and DJ's shooting lives up to the hype, it can create problems for teams trying to zone us. We struggled with that the past couple of years.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please be a season as this is a well put together roster
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago This team is loaded with quality depth at all positions. One of the biggest problems this staff may have is trying to keeping everyone happy with their playing time, not a bad problem to have. Ileri will probably redshirt and maybe Berry if he agrees. I hope the freshman don't have high expectations about getting plenty of minutes, which probably won't happen unless we have injuries. Having a front court rotation with the Mitchell twins, Harris, Walker, DJ, and Martin as SG/SF is a luxury we seldom had. I would love to see how this team would match up against quality opponents out of conference, I hope we get that opportunity. If there is a shortened season the mid level conferences will suffer as far as getting NCAA bids.
They should play up and down where they need a long bench. Run and gun is always a good recruiter. Of course need zhurley defense to go where we want to be.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It wouldn't shock me if the starting lineup is the 4 transfers and Fatts. Makhel instead of Jermaine and Carey over Sheppard. From what it seems, Makhel is mostly a 5 and Makhi can play the 4 or 5. So, they can play together. Jermaine, who is foul prone, can be managed regarding his fouls this way. The interesting one, I think, is Carey and Sheppard. I like both players a lot. But I think Sheppard could be a big offensive spark off the bench and he could spell both Carey and Fatts and still get a lot of minutes off the bench. Just my opinion and I love that there are a lot of options now.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I have expressed my opinion in the past that successful coaches are broken down as follows:

Recruiting ability 90%
X's and O's 5%
Ego Management 5%

Cox will show his 5% for ego management this year for sure.......does he earn all 5 points or not ?
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I'm torn I hope we have a season and I'm glad we got all these wavers approved but I really can't get excited about not being able to attend games, missing senior nights etc...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhodysRelevant wrote: 3 years ago I'm torn I hope we have a season and I'm glad we got all these wavers approved but I really can't get excited about not being able to attend games, missing senior nights etc...
Long way off, things can change.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I have expressed my opinion in the past that successful coaches are broken down as follows:

Recruiting ability 90%
X's and O's 5%
Ego Management 5%

Cox will show his 5% for ego management this year for sure.......does he earn all 5 points or not ?
Where do communication and motivational skills rate?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

You would think that if you have achieved the 90% recruitment criteria, that the "communication and motivation" skill set was already assumed somewhere in there, else you aren't recruiting anyone to begin with.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If there is anything relatively close to a real season, and we only make the CBI, i will live stream myself eating a raw squid... just don't call it the calamari comeback...
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fans come from fanatics - don't bet the calamari on their predictions. Also, betting that underclassmen at any mid-major will stay at their current school in future years is fool-hardy.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

You're really starting to lose it Waldorf, just random non-sequitur pessimistic comments. Are you having conversations in your head we don't know about?
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago OP updated, maybe for the last time?

Fatts Russell - G
Jeremy Sheppard - G
Malik Martin -G/F
Makhi Mitchell - F
Jermaine Harris - C

Deep bench:
Makhel Mitchell - C
Ishmael Leggett - G
Tres Berry - G
DJ Johnson - F
Antwan Walker - F

I agree DJ & walker will make up the bottom of the depth chart. You may see them get minutes early while the 2 freshman & transfers fit into the system.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I don't understand the people that are so critical of Cox. He has been a phenomenal recruiter and represented the program well. The team dropped some weird ones to Richmond/SLU and then just choked against Dayton. Really the team was pretty good and could have broke through in the A10 tournament.

For whatever reason Dowtin had like his worst year last year and then Langevine I think statistically was worse than his junior year. I think the guys left will have learned those lessons and we will be better this year. When the whole roster transfers out, it shows that they didn't have any heart.

There is a lot more grit on this team now. A lot more talent.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago OP updated, maybe for the last time?

Fatts Russell - G
Jeremy Sheppard - G
Malik Martin -G/F
Makhi Mitchell - F
Jermaine Harris - C

Deep bench:
Makhel Mitchell - C
Ishmael Leggett - G
Tres Berry - G
DJ Johnson - F
Antwan Walker - F

I agree DJ & walker will make up the bottom of the depth chart. You may see them get minutes early while the 2 freshman & transfers fit into the system.
Very competent and experienced end of the bench.

Hard to see the 2 freshman guards getting much playing time. I think we will see DJ and Walker more as the year goes on than we will them.

They have so much in front of them.
Fatts is a star
Sheppard is a former all freshman performer in the AAC. Coaches have glowing reviews of him in practice.
Carey is a former top100 player and starter at Syracuse
Malik starter two years at Charlotte and was an all CAA defender.

They are up against a lot to say the least lol.

Walker and DJ may get buried with them though. Could depend on matchups. Walker has the best chance to stay on the floor out of the 4 at the end of the bench. May be a better matchup for some guys down low since he's quicker than the twins and Harris. There's always foul trouble with big guys.

Sure is fun to speculate with this roster!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago I don't understand the people that are so critical of Cox. He has been a phenomenal recruiter and represented the program well. The team dropped some weird ones to Richmond/SLU and then just choked against Dayton. Really the team was pretty good and could have broke through in the A10 tournament.

For whatever reason Dowtin had like his worst year last year and then Langevine I think statistically was worse than his junior year. I think the guys left will have learned those lessons and we will be better this year. When the whole roster transfers out, it shows that they didn't have any heart.

There is a lot more grit on this team now. A lot more talent.
I'm with you. The way we finished at the end of the 2018-19 season, the way we performed during our 10 game win streak and how we didn't give up and best UMass in the last game of the year stick out to me.

Cox did really well considering the roster blows and relying on one guy to do mostly everything on a team with poor shooting and no depth. Jeff and Cyril are all time greats, but they weren't all time great offensive players. They were more so role players put in a position where they had to score consistently and that just wasn't their game.

We have way more weapons now and better shooting across the board.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Shooting should be better. How much better? That remains to be seen, but better. Might be just incrementally better.

Fatts is the same, he could gain some better consistency with age.
With Sheppard, you are replacing Jeff Dowtin's mid range jumper with a consistent 3 point shot.
I have no idea how Malik Martin's shooting is going to compare with Tyrese Martin's shooting, so that is a big question mark. Sometimes less is actually more, quality over the sheer quantity that Tyrese was tossing up per game.
Makhi Mitchell has a very nice mid range jumper similar to Dowtin, and flashes a nice baby hook sometimes too. I like the fact that he doesn't try to force three point shots and stays home, so that will be something.
And DJ has demonstrated a nice outside shot, but still needs to bring that ability to this level, so there is potential there.
I imagine that J. Harris will still attempt a few three pointers.

So, overall, I think you can definitely argue an improvement in shooting, at least on paper.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 3 years ago Shooting should be better. How much better? That remains to be seen, but better. Might be just incrementally better.

Fatts is the same, he could gain some better consistency with age.
With Sheppard, you are replacing Jeff Dowtin's mid range jumper with a consistent 3 point shot.
I have no idea how Malik Martin's shooting is going to compare with Tyrese Martin's shooting, so that is a big question mark. Sometimes less is actually more, quality over the sheer quantity that Tyrese was tossing up per game.
Makhi Mitchell has a very nice mid range jumper similar to Dowtin, and flashes a nice baby hook sometimes too. I like the fact that he doesn't try to force three point shots and stays home, so that will be something.
And DJ has demonstrated a nice outside shot, but still needs to bring that ability to this level, so there is potential there.
I imagine that J. Harris will still attempt a few three pointers.

So, overall, I think you can definitely argue an improvement in shooting, at least on paper.
I have been all on board with Harris never even looking at the basket when beyond the 3 point line but he does have a serious stroke from the free throw line so if he can get it to translate it would be a weapon.

I think the shooting will be better with better shot selection (Tyrese was bad but they all took tough shots). Last years team didn't really create shots for each other. I guarantee Fatts draft feedback asked him to not only score more and more efficiently but to create offense for others.He can do it bc he is like a waterbug out there.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Malik has a better 3 point percentage than Tyrese and just watching his highlights you will see his form is much better. Everything points to Malik being a better shooter. Not a better talent overall, but a better shooter and defender definitely.
1 x