The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Is there any player anywhere who has been denied a waiver?
The NCAA does not announce waiver request decisions, the schools do, if they want to.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Is there any player anywhere who has been denied a waiver?
You can find them, if you search Google News. I can't remember if it was New Mexico or New Mexico State, but they had a senior denied an extra year because he played three games in 2019-20 before getting hurt. I think Wake Forest or another ACC school also had a waiver denied.
That seems like an obvious candidate for a red shirt and gaining eligibility back. Unless he had previously used a red shirt year. You have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility so perhaps this case was not granting a 6th year, which is very rare.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
You can find them, if you search Google News. I can't remember if it was New Mexico or New Mexico State, but they had a senior denied an extra year because he played three games in 2019-20 before getting hurt. I think Wake Forest or another ACC school also had a waiver denied.
That seems like an obvious candidate for a red shirt and gaining eligibility back. Unless he had previously used a red shirt year. You have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility so perhaps this case was not granting a 6th year, which is very rare.
It might have been the sixth year thing, because it struck me as kind of petty.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting looking at Jeff Borzello’s lists of Transfers as to how many have now had waivers approved in just the last month

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 21-2021-22

Among familiar rankings:
Transfers Eligible Immediately:
#7 Bryce Aiken - Harvard to Seton a Hall
#14 Kevin Marfo - Quinnipiac to Texas A&M
#20 Justin Kier - George Mason to Georgia
#37 Justyn Mutts - Delaware to Virginia Tech
Next in Line:
Devon Gage - DePaul to Fresno State
Frankie Hughes - Duquesne to San Diego
Pauly Paulicap - Manhattan to DePaul

Spring Sit-Out Transfers Eligible for 2021-22 Season
#4 Landers Nolley - Virginia Tech to Memphis
#5 Marcos Santos-Silva - VCU to Texas Tech
#9 Tyrese Martin - URI to UCONN
#39 Jalen Carey - Syracuse to URI
#41 Makhi Mitchell - Maryland to URI
#43 Brycen Goodine - Syracuse to PC
Next in Line:
Joe Pridgen - Holy Cross to UNCW
Sean East - UMASS to Bradley
Ed Croswell - LaSalle to PC
Malik Martin - UNC Charlotte to URI
Samba Diallo - UMASS to Manhattan
Allen Betrand - Towson to URI

Mid year Transfers Eligible at 2020-21 Break
#4 Carte’are Gordon - Depaul to NW Florida State JC
#6 Dahmir Bishop - Xavier to St Josephs
#15 Dajour Dickens - ODU to Hampton
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Interesting that Tyrese hasn’t heard yet.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
Interesting that Tyrese hasn’t heard yet.
Now there's someone that a lot of folk here don't care about anymore ;)
Speaking of which...did you see?: https://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 58#p457958
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Interesting to see all the panic in each post... things appear better now. ;)

Hopefully we’re less emotional post COVID. :roll:
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Even though this is a little premature, what are your thoughts and comparison on the loss/addition of our transfers this past year?
Greg Hammond (SG) - Jalen Carey (PG)
Tyrese Martin (SG/SF) - Allen Betrand (SG)
Mekhi Long (SF) - Malik Martin (SG/SF)
Dana Tate (SF/PF) - Makhel Mitchell (PF/C)
Jacob Toppin (SF/PF) - Makhi Mitchell ((PF/C)

We had an even swap 5 for 5, many of the positions are interchangeable. I think Cox and the rest of the staff did an excellent job of replacing our losses and filling in the positions of need. Not sure how Long and Hammond would of progressed, but who we got will be solid. Dana Tate was steady and tough, and Tyrese Martin along with Toppin had amazing athletic skills. Carey could end up being a stud and Betrand has performed well at Towson. Malik Martin will be a grinder and do the dirty work on both ends of the floor and the Mitchell Twins will give us much needed size and versatility in the paint. I was extremely worried about our program after these players decided to leave , but now am very optimistic about our future.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Even though this is a little premature, what are your thoughts and comparison on the loss/addition of our transfers this past year?

We had an even swap 5 for 5, many of the positions are interchangeable. I think Cox and the rest of the staff did an excellent job of replacing our losses and filling in the positions of need. Not sure how Long and Hammond would of progressed, but who we got will be solid. Dana Tate was steady and tough, and Martin along with Toppin had amazing athletic skills. Carey could end up being a stud and Betrand has performed well at Towson. Martin will be a grinder and do the dirty work on both ends of the floor and the Mitchell Twins will give us much needed size and versatility in the paint. I was extremely worried about our program after these players decided to leave , but now am very optimistic about our future.
I still think we will miss Tyrese. I don’t think the guys we have will fully replace that this year. I wonder if he would have stayed if he knew Fatts was staying and the influx of talent that was coming that would be eligible for this year. Every other player we lost was a Development player who if they Developed would have been good A10 players.

The thing that I like best about this situation is we got through it strongly THIS year. Next year if the one-time transfer rule opens up a lot of teams will be going through this and scrambling to put a squad together. We have a core of 5 really good players who won’t qualify for the one-time transfer. It puts us in great shape this year and next.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Next year if the one-time transfer rule opens up a lot of teams will be going through this and scrambling to put a squad together. We have a core of 5 really good players who won’t qualify for the one-time transfer. It puts us in great shape this year and next.
Great point! that could be huge.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Of the veterans for 21, Harris and DJ would probably be the only casualties on the transfer portal. If Harris disappoints and the Mitchell twins out perform him, along with DJ not getting much playing time because of Martin and Walker, I can see both of them leaving. There will always be question marks about the freshman transferring, depending upon how happy they are here and their expectations.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Even though this is a little premature, what are your thoughts and comparison on the loss/addition of our transfers this past year?

We had an even swap 5 for 5, many of the positions are interchangeable. I think Cox and the rest of the staff did an excellent job of replacing our losses and filling in the positions of need. Not sure how Long and Hammond would of progressed, but who we got will be solid. Dana Tate was steady and tough, and Martin along with Toppin had amazing athletic skills. Carey could end up being a stud and Betrand has performed well at Towson. Martin will be a grinder and do the dirty work on both ends of the floor and the Mitchell Twins will give us much needed size and versatility in the paint. I was extremely worried about our program after these players decided to leave , but now am very optimistic about our future.
I still think we will miss Tyrese. I don’t think the guys we have will fully replace that this year. I wonder if he would have stayed if he knew Fatts was staying and the influx of talent that was coming that would be eligible for this year. Every other player we lost was a Development player who if they Developed would have been good A10 players.

The thing that I like best about this situation is we got through it strongly THIS year. Next year if the one-time transfer rule opens up a lot of teams will be going through this and scrambling to put a squad together. We have a core of 5 really good players who won’t qualify for the one-time transfer. It puts us in great shape this year and next.
I promise I’m not saying this as a slight, but Bertrand is an upgrade over Tyrese. Albeit slight, Bertrand is going to be a star.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

I promise I’m not saying this as a slight, but Bertrand is an upgrade over Tyrese. Albeit slight, Bertrand is going to be a star.
So why not seek a waiver on Bertrand then? Seems like a waiver would have been granted based on what we are seeing?
Is it that a development year will benefit him as Kentucky is going with Toppin?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

So why not seek a waiver on Bertrand then? Seems like a waiver would have been granted based on what we are seeing?
Is it that a development year will benefit him as Kentucky is going with Toppin?
Zero basis. Moved farther away from home
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

We already have depth at guard. I like the idea of Betrand sitting and having him take over next season.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 Rhode Island Residents in UMASS starting 5

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 2 Rhode Island Residents in UMASS starting 5

Also 6'8" freshman Dominguez from Providence, either redshirting or coming off the bench. Mark Gasperini 6'10" grad/transfer from American and 3 year starter, double digit scorer, will give them added depth in the frontcourt. If Weeks comes back healthy, this team has a nice lineup. St. Bonaventure, U Mass, Dayton, and URI are not far behind St.Louis and Richmond and can all contend for the A10.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago 2 Rhode Island Residents in UMASS starting 5

Also 6'8" freshman Dominguez from Providence, either redshirting or coming off the bench. Mark Gasperini 6'10" grad/transfer from American and 3 year starter, double digit scorer, will give them added depth in the frontcourt. If Weeks comes back healthy, this team has a nice lineup. St. Bonaventure, U Mass, Dayton, and URI are not far behind St.Louis and Richmond and can all contend for the A10.
Duquesne is ranked #80 in Madness 144. All starters return.

Key Departed Players:
Baylee Steele, Center, 8.9 ppg
Ashton Miller, Guard, 1.2 ppg

Key Returning Players:
Marcus Weathers, Senior, Forward, 14.3 ppg
Sincere Carry, Junior, Guard, 12.2 ppg
Michael Hughes, Senior, Center, 10.3 ppg
Maceo Austin, Sophomore, Guard, 7.0 ppg
Lamar Norman Jr, Junior, Guard, 6.1 ppg
Tavian Dunn-Martin, Senior, Guard, 10.2 ppg
Austin Rotroff, Junior, Forward, 1.4 ppg
Amari Kelly, Sophomore, Forward, dnp last season

Key New Players:
Tyson Acuff, Freshman, Guard
Chad Baker, Freshman, Forward
Mike Bekelja, Freshman, Guard
Noah Buono, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Ramapo College
Jaylen Cole-Williams, Freshman, Guard
Andre Harris, Freshman, Forward
Mounir Hima, Freshman, Center
Toby Okani, Freshman, Forward
Jett Roesing, Freshman, Guard
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramster, you are correct, we can't overlook Duquesne. Hughes, Weathers, Carry, and Dunn-Martin are all good players and they added a slew of freshman. The A10 looks really loaded this year, will be fun to watch this competition.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Might be worth its own thread, but the reasons for the mass exodus from Wichita State are a little clearer after today:

https://watchstadium.com/sources-wichit ... 0-08-2020/
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Might be worth its own thread, but the reasons for the mass exodus from Wichita State are a little clearer after today:

He can't keep his job after this. He simply cannot survive this. Aside from the fact that there's no place for that behavior in this society, imagine trying to recruit against him? No way he can effectively recruit when every other coach is bring this up to those recruits.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Might be worth its own thread, but the reasons for the mass exodus from Wichita State are a little clearer after today:

:shock: oh my!!

this shit still goes on and on and as long as you win it's tolerated, but good luck getting out from behind this bad press greg marshall. This article is testimony of some of the most deplorable behavior possible by an "adult" who should be mentoring. From this point forward his continued association with Wichita State is an indictment against their whole institution.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

And they picked the worst possible choice of all their options...just continue as is.

No administrative leave?

https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews-r ... ball_4.php
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

And they picked the worst possible choice of all their options...just continue as is.

No administrative leave?

https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews-r ... ball_4.php
The university is apparently a bit rudderless right now. Their last president lasted less than a year before resigning abruptly. I don't know who the interim president is, but since W.S. doesn't have a football program, Marshall is probably the most powerful administrator / executive / public figure type at the school in the moment.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

He can't keep his job after this. He simply cannot survive this. Aside from the fact that there's no place for that behavior in this society, imagine trying to recruit against him? No way he can effectively recruit when every other coach is bring this up to those recruits.
He should be fired just for his cheap-ass hair dye job.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah this should seal Marshalls fate you would think . Multiple people collaborate all this behavior . He won’t get any recruits after this
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......wow, that was really, really, really bad.......bye bye Coach.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Marshall's wife Lynn is also crazy and was thrown out of an arena after the game. She has a reputation for her wild antics and out of control behavior in the stands.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ61i ... NKXzJimqI-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ61i ... zPUTwdGCI-
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I lost all respect for Gregg The Coward Marshall
0 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

http://digitaledition.courant.com/infin ... d431c6f9e1
Good read from the Hartford Courant on Tyrese
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago I lost all respect for Gregg The Coward Marshall
They still haven't fired him have they?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article on Tyrese I wish him well
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Phen Egap wrote: 3 years ago http://digitaledition.courant.com/infin ... d431c6f9e1
Good read from the Hartford Courant on Tyrese
Tyrese left for the same reason Hurley left, Toppin left, Harrick left etc. URI must learn to parlay success into upgrading the program rather than using the spoils for more general purposes.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mike Anthony needs to take a few writing classes.

Btw, Tyrese can’t cover 4 positions. He was too slow last year to cover a SG. He got burnt often last year when they experimented with that due to the lack of depth at Guard. I would say he can cover two positions maybe (SF & PF). I think he would struggle with some of the bigger PFs in the BE. He is a good offensive player. He isn’t a good defensive player.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Mike Anthony needs to take a few writing classes.

Btw, Tyrese can’t cover 4 positions. He was too slow last year to cover a SG. He got burnt often last year when they experimented with that due to the lack of depth at Guard. I would say he can cover two positions maybe (SF & PF). I think he would struggle with some of the bigger PFs in the BE. He is a good offensive player. He isn’t a good defensive player.
And we know DH doesn’t stand for someone who can’t play D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Defense is about effort. I'll leave it at that.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Defense is about effort. I'll leave it at that.
Agree effort is a big factor. Quickness plays a role. Tyrese will need to improve his quickness.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
Agree effort is a big factor. Quickness plays a role. Tyrese will need to improve his quickness.
And his effort.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago ...

Yet, DH took Tyrese. So what does that mean with regard to his opinion about whether Tyrese can play defense?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago ...

Yet, DH took Tyrese. So what does that mean with regard to his opinion about whether Tyrese can play defense?
As mentioned earlier, it could be an effort thing...and Tyrese does have upside, more on the offensive end, but certainly with defense. DH I'm sure sees that. THis is not a slight toward Cox, but DH might improve Tyrese's effort on the defensive end
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NCAA Proposal Says Transfers Will Be Granted Immediate Eligibility
PAT FORDE AND ROSS DELLENGER 8 HOURS AGO

Athletes can soon transfer schools and play immediately.

That’s according to proposed legislation sent to Division I Council members this week and obtained by Sports Illustrated. The Council is expected to introduce the proposal into the NCAA’s 2020–21 legislative cycle at its meeting Wednesday, with a vote coming in January for an effective date of Aug. 1, 2021.

Under the proposal developed by the NCAA Working Group on Transfers, athletes are afforded a one-time transfer during their athletic careers without suffering the penalty of sitting out a season, reversing a policy from the 1960s. Fall and winter sport athletes would have to notify their schools of a transfer by May 1, with an exception extending the date to July 1 for an end-of-the-year head coaching change or the non-renewal of scholarships. Spring sport athletes would have until July 1 to notify schools of transfer. Athletes missing those deadlines would not be immediately eligible at their new school.

In order to transfer and be eligible, athletes must also leave their previous school academically eligible, according to the proposal. An athlete’s previous school would not have any ability to object to the transfer. The legislation prohibits athletes from competing in the same academic season at two different schools.

The NCAA would not impose limits on the number of transfer athletes that a D-I program may accept in a given year, the legislation says. For now, the NCAA is not adjusting the initial counter limit that caps a football team from adding more than 25 players in a year. However, “the committee agreed to study transfer trends in the sport of football to determine whether future modifications to counter limitations are warranted.”

It's Fantasy Football Season! Get all the tools and expert advice to win your fantasy league with SI Fantasy+.

The legislation is an expected move that’s been discussed since February and may even be intertwined with the debate over name, image and likeness. The working group plans to evaluate stakeholder feedback in November and recommend any necessary modifications to the proposal for the Council to consider in December or January.

The proposal is the second piece of somewhat historic legislation that the DI Council is reviewing this week (the other is a proposal regarding name, image and likeness). The one-time transfer exception was originally added to the D-I Council’s agenda in April before being pushed to the next legislative cycle.

Relaxing transfer rules is nothing new. The NCAA has adopted a slew of player-friendly transfer-related changes over the last two years. For instance, schools no longer have authority over a player’s transfer destination, a change that coincided with the creation of the transfer portal in fall of 2018. Graduating players can now play immediately after transferring within their own conference, and most schools release signees from their letters of intent if a head coach leaves a school before their first semester.

The latest change could reverse a long-standing rule adopted NCAA wide in the early 1960s, one that originated more than a century ago when a group of Ivy League schools agreed to a one-year sit-out provision for players transferring among them. Under the current policy, players can transfer freely and play immediately in all sports except for baseball, basketball, football and men’s ice hockey.

While many administrators agree to wanting a unified transfer rule, they admit to varying degrees of concerns, most of them stemming from an anticipated spike in transfers. Without a one-year penalty, players will be more inclined to leave. Academic Progress Rate scores could see such a dip that many believe the formula would need an adjustment. Under current APR formula, each player earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible. Transferring players would cost a school the retention point.

As for APR adjustments, the NCAA is referring those potential changes to the D-I Committee on Academics, according to the documents.

BY PAT FORDE AND ROSS DELLENGER
Sports Illustrated
Privacy Policy
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
SI Pressroom
© 2020 ABG-SI LLC. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED is a registered trademark of ABG-SI LLC. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Right. Which is why I never liked to play it.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Some more on Marshall here for those with an Athletic subscription. Seems like a real piece of trash human, which I definitely never would have guessed up until recently. Content and language warning for the article.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want him out of coaching
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Taquan Woodley(PF from NJ) is the first fallout from the Penn State coaching situation by decommitting:

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrCwoh ... 71xF9OvEs-
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PC guard Brycen Goodine, Syracuse transfer, granted waiver. They will have plenty of depth at guard which includes Duke, Reeves, and Bynum.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrCwoi ... H.Gh7pPH4-
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Based on Goodman's list of transfer waivers granted by conference/team last month, we have the most of all schools at 4:

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrEePA ... hHbCYLcEw-
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Hilarious that there are 7 guys that got denied on that list. Wonder whose coffee they pissed in.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sad to see Mazzulla get denied. His dad died and he moved closer to his family. RI kid whose brother is an assistant coach with the Celtics. A great kid to boot.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !