The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am in Newport and just read the great news on the twins and Carey !

Letsss goooooooo
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Intercollegiate athletics is a fraud. Participating schools should lose their tax exempt status. Student athlete is an oxymoron at D1 schools. This is all on the D1 schools. I want college sport competition for those who want a college education first.
No, you really don't.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Intercollegiate athletics is a fraud. Participating schools should lose their tax exempt status. Student athlete is an oxymoron at D1 schools. This is all on the D1 schools. I want college sport competition for those who want a college education first.
No, you really don't.
Sorry, I do. Let's find a different track for those who want to be professional athletes and don't care about a college education first and foremost. For 90%+ of athlete first attendees, they are just being used by their institutions.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
Are you this negative about everything?
No, I'm positive about about amateur athletic competition and how it builds character.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
No, I'm positive about about amateur athletic competition and how it builds character.
While we're at it let's get rid of dunks, bring back the two-handed set shot and stop blasting that goshdarn rap music! :shock:
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Again, who gave 72 the Internet? He needs to be supervised.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
While we're at it let's get rid of dunks, bring back the two-handed set shot and stop blasting that goshdarn rap music! :shock:
And bring back the center jump after every field goal.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Yes, right after they climb the ladder and get the ball out of the peach basket! (we are only teasing '72, no ill intent)
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

Tacko Fall would already have a 9-figure contract with the Celtics if that rule was still in effect! :lol:
3 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

He's mad because a week ago he said the reason we haven't heard anything about the transfers is because they were rejected. Now that the Mitchell twins and Carey have been approved, he's mad at the NCAA. Odd reaction from a "URI fan".
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago
He's mad because a week ago he said the reason we haven't heard anything about the transfers is because they were rejected. Now that the Mitchell twins and Carey have been approved, he's mad at the NCAA. Odd reaction from a "URI fan".
I don't recall saying the transfers were rejected. I may have said that I would be surprised if they were granted a waiver. Please send me the post.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm surprised that you and those who supported your post feel this way. I don't. But, Bobby Wanzer had a great two-handed set shot.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

This was posted immediately after the Carey news broke. Someone's angry the Mitchell twins and Carey are eligible
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This was posted immediately after the Carey news broke. Someone's angry the Mitchell twins and Carey are eligible
Right. Because now...there will be less 'character-building'......
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago ,,,

Not angry, but disgusted that member NCAA schools cater to athlete students. The reason someone should go to college is to get an education - first and foremost. It is not to provide a showcase for one's athletic prowess.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Just to clarify for the record, you're disgusted the Mitchell twins and Carey have been allowed to play?
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not angry, but disgusted that member NCAA schools cater to athlete students. The reason someone should go to college is to get an education - first and foremost. It is not to provide a showcase for one's athletic prowess.
First of all our basketball players are coming to URI to join a competitive basketball program. A program that puts players in the pros and a program that puts players in future coaching positions. They are getting an education. A basketball education. Many of our guys will have careers involving basketball for the rest of their lives!

Ya know, kinda like someone going to a school for engineering. Turns out most people pick schools for an educational program that they think will benefit them. Our players are getting a high level of basketball education.

You don't keep an engineering student an entire year away from taking tests, do you? Having to sit out a year in basketball is like being in a class but just studying. No performance. No testing of one's abilities.

It's ridiculous to think that letting them play immediately is some kind of huge privilege. It's just the sensible and right thing to do. They're still going to go to the same classes and it's up to them how much they make of it, just like it is with your average student.
3 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Didn't all 3 players finish the full year academically even though their basketball playing stopped in the first semester?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yes I believe they did, which probably proved a little beneficial or at least didn't hurt them in getting their waivers granted.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

First of all our basketball players are coming to URI to join a competitive basketball program. A program that puts players in the pros and a program that puts players in future coaching positions. They are getting an education. A basketball education. Many of our guys will have careers involving basketball for the rest of their lives!

Ya know, kinda like someone going to a school for engineering. Turns out most people pick schools for an educational program that they think will benefit them. Our players are getting a high level of basketball education.

You don't keep an engineering student an entire year away from taking tests, do you? Having to sit out a year in basketball is like being in a class but just studying. No performance. No testing of one's abilities.

It's ridiculous to think that letting them play immediately is some kind of huge privilege. It's just the sensible and right thing to do. They're still going to go to the same classes and it's up to them how much they make of it, just like it is with your average student.
This may be one of the best takes on this board and a great perspective. I legitimately never thought of it that way (not ashamed to admit that I am an idiot, my wife tells me all the time).

Providing benefits for the basketball team is like building a new state of the art engineer building. Long term investment to develop students into successful careers.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There is some merit to 72’s position. The players are here to amuse us. Damn their health and welfare. The basketball players and football players at big time programs are there to make money for the schools The schools will contort themselves into strange positions to get the games played and money in their coffers
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I would rather have a team that excelled in competition while "meeting" all academic requirements, than a mediocre team that excelled at academics... My guess is that 72 would also, but until we meet and discuss, that's just a guess ;)
1 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago There is some merit to 72’s position. The players are here to amuse us. Damn their health and welfare. The basketball players and football players at big time programs are there to make money for the schools The schools will contort themselves into strange positions to get the games played and money in their coffers
I must have missed the post about his position on the health and welfare of the players, in fact i looked at his past 20 posts or so and couldn't find anything close.Looked in the Covid thread, couldn't find anything.All his criticism seemed to be in the transfer thread with the waiver ruling right after the 3 players were declared eligible. I'm also having difficulty finding anyone on this board advocating players risking their health and welfare. If you could steer me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.Thanks
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago There is some merit to 72’s position. The players are here to amuse us. Damn their health and welfare. The basketball players and football players at big time programs are there to make money for the schools The schools will contort themselves into strange positions to get the games played and money in their coffers
I must have missed the post about his position on the health and welfare of the players, in fact i looked at his past 20 posts or so and couldn't find anything close.Looked in the Covid thread, couldn't find anything.All his criticism seemed to be in the transfer thread with the waiver ruling right after the 3 players were declared eligible. I'm also having difficulty finding anyone on this board advocating players risking their health and welfare. If you could steer me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.Thanks
Agree 100%.
72 is just a negative person.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree 100%.
72 is just a negative person.
Can't really say without the pop test.... 8-)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I also find it strange how prevailing the notion is that college athletes are straight up exploited, like they're getting forced to work slave labor or something.

Its not like they get nothing! The one's that get nothing are like the baseball and soccer players. Or rather, the one's who don't get scholarships.

You get a free ride to a college that would otherwise make you go bankrupt. Room and board. Tutors. All the food you want. The opportunity to do what you love at a high level. I mean have you seen the luxury a lot of athletes have at their respective universities? Watch some videos on your average SEC facility. Or any top notch basketball programs facility. The places that make a bunch of money.

The players most certainly get a taste of those dollar bills.

Sure the NCAA is greedy and to a certain extent the athletes are used for profit, but it's not like they are being tortured here I mean come on. They do in fact reap the benefits of the rewards.

This whole "HOW DARE THE NCAA AND PROGRAMS DO THAT TO THEM" Is the very definition of a first world problem.

That being said I strongly believe in players getting some insurance for lifelong injuries sustained playing a sport. Especially with football. And letting players make money off their likeness is a good thing too.
6 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I also find it strange how prevailing the notion is that college athletes are straight up exploited, like they're getting forced to work slave labor or something.

Its not like they get nothing! The one's that get nothing are like the baseball and soccer players. Or rather, the one's who don't get scholarships.

You get a free ride to a college that would otherwise make you go bankrupt. Room and board. Tutors. All the food you want. The opportunity to do what you love at a high level. I mean have you seen the luxury a lot of athletes have at their respective universities? Watch some videos on your average SEC facility. Or any top notch basketball programs facility. The places that make a bunch of money.

The players most certainly get a taste of those dollar bills.

Sure the NCAA is greedy and to a certain extent the athletes are used for profit, but it's not like they are being tortured here I mean come on. They do in fact reap the benefits of the rewards.

This whole "HOW DARE THE NCAA AND PROGRAMS DO THAT TO THEM" Is the very definition of a first world problem.

That being said I strongly believe in players getting some insurance for lifelong injuries sustained playing a sport. Especially with football. And letting players make money off their likeness is a good thing too.
Amen brother.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Nailed it Peter
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Sure the NCAA is greedy and to a certain extent the athletes are used for profit
Fixed that right up fer ya
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dan Hurley is losing assistant coach Kenya Hunter to Indiana, replacing Bruiser Flint who left for Kentucky. Hunter is considered a top assistant and excellent recruiter with a strong resume. Many on the UCONN board consider this a huge loss, I wonder who DH will go after.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Dan Hurley is losing assistant coach Kenya Hunter to Indiana, replacing Bruiser Flint who left for Kentucky. Hunter is considered a top assistant and excellent recruiter with a strong resume. Many on the UCONN board consider this a huge loss, I wonder who DH will go after.
Time to get paranoid again?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Kenya Hunter is from the DC area with strong recruiting ties there. Also, when he left Georgetown in 2013 to go to Nebraska, I believe Kevin Sutton replaced him there.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I was wondering if DH would take a chance on Preston Murphy, would be a good landing spot for him. Not sure of the repercussions of his previous issues at Creighton will follow him.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Dan Hurley is losing assistant coach Kenya Hunter to Indiana, replacing Bruiser Flint who left for Kentucky. Hunter is considered a top assistant and excellent recruiter with a strong resume. Many on the UCONN board consider this a huge loss, I wonder who DH will go after.
May promote Talik Brown. Talik filled in when Hunter was out sick last year.
Talik is currently Director of Player Development.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My whole point about D1 NCAA member schools is that they are losing sight of why colleges exist and the benefit of athletics to the development of students. The relaxing of transfer rules is a still lower rung on a slippery slope.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago My whole point about D1 NCAA member schools is that they are losing sight of why colleges exist and the benefit of athletics to the development of students. The relaxing of transfer rules is a still lower rung on a slippery slope.
I didn't know slopes had rungs, 72. That helps - especially if they're slippery. :roll:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Probably can't set the rules...but...can be quick to adapt.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Boom
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

great news
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While one can argue the team needed the twins more, I’m happiest for Malik.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This team on paper looks very loaded, let's hope the staff can fit all the pieces together and make this team gel. At this point there is no guarantee there will even be a season this year.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Boom
BOOOOM!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago This team on paper looks very loaded, let's hope the staff can fit all the pieces together and make this team gel. At this point there is no guarantee there will even be a season this year.
Everything is trending towards a season at this point :D
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode Island Transfers Malik Martin, Jalen Carey, Mitchell Twins all get waivers

Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
By ADAM ZAGORIA
Rhode Island coach David Cox has four more good reasons to be optimistic about the upcoming basketball season.
Transfers Malik Martin (Charlotte), Jalen Carey (Syracuse) and Makhi and Makhel Mitchell (Maryland) all received NCAA waivers and will be immediately eligible this season.
“The addition of Makhi, Makhel, Jalen and Malik provide us with a tremendous infusion of talent, experience and depth,” Cox said Tuesday. “Meshing the pieces may be a challenge, but a potential issue well worth the energy. All are tremendous young men who share our core values. Truly welcomed additions to the Rhody family.”
The 6-foot-5 Martin is the younger brother of former Rhode Island forward Hassan Martin. He averaged 9.0 points and 3.6 rebounds last season at Charlotte and will fill a need on the wing at Rhody.
The 6-3 Carey played in 25 games for the Orange as a freshman, averaging 3.5 points and 1.6 rebounds in 12.2 minutes per contest in 2018-19. He got his waiver Aug. 19.
Last season he started two exhibition games and the first two regular-season contests before a thumb injury ended his season.
“Jalen immediately eligible is a significant development for the program this team,” Cox said. “Jalen is a highly talented player who improves us on both ends of the floor. We are going to be a dangerous team with the versatility to attack the game in a variety of ways.”
The 6-10 Mitchell brothers became eligible Aug. 17 and will both have three seasons of eligibility for Rhode Island.

“In Makhi and Makhel, we are talking about two young men who can have an immediate high impact for us,” Cox said. “These are Top 100 recruits out of high school who are coming to us from the BIG 10. Makhi and Makhel are versatile talents who bring so much to both ends of the floor. We just added significant depth for this year.”
Rhode Island also added Ileri Ayo-Faleye for the 2020-21 season.
A 6-7 wing, Ayo-Faleye hails from Lebanon, Pa. and led Cedar Crest High School to a Lancaster-Lebanon League Section One title. He averaged a team-high 13.8 points per game as his team reached the District Three Class 6A semifinals.
The Rams finished 21-9, 13-5 in the A-10 last season. They face Seton Hall and Boise State in the non-conference.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It sure looks like waivers are being handed out to just about everyone this season.

Would think our transfers out will likely get them as well.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great news indeed , we should be really good this year let’s hope we get a full season
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Is there any player anywhere who has been denied a waiver?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Is there any player anywhere who has been denied a waiver?
You can find them, if you search Google News. I can't remember if it was New Mexico or New Mexico State, but they had a senior denied an extra year because he played three games in 2019-20 before getting hurt. I think Wake Forest or another ACC school also had a waiver denied.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Cade Mays from Georgia to Tennessee.

Because Georgia is being petty.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A few quotes from Tim O'Shea about transfers that appear in the Aug 27th ProJo:

When O’Shea coached at Bryant, he was charged with taking the Bulldogs from a Division II program to Division I. Many things besides Bryant’s division status changed in the 10 years O’Shea was there, and one key modification was when the NCAA altered its transfer rule.

“I like to say it’s a mercenary mentality,” O’Shea said. “When I first started coaching, a kid who was scoring 20 points a game was probably the happiest in the program. That started to change with transfer rules. They start to think, ‘I can trade up.’ All the loyalty goes out the window.

“Your best players — almost 90 percent of them — use their success at the lower Division I level to get to a bigger program. The low and middle Division I schools just can’t compete with the upper Division I schools and what they have to offer.

“I just couldn’t be a part of it anymore. I can’t be critical of the kids, but it’s not what I signed up for. The stress levels for Division I coaches has really changed.”

Players now jump from school to school on a whim. According to the NCAA, 54 percent of Division I basketball players (about 360 players) in the transfer portal switched to a different Division I program last season. And in Division I, not all teams are created equal.

“One year I took Bryant to play at UConn and the players there had a catered steak dinner. The perks at that level are so much more than those at smaller schools.”
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!