‘22 NJ PG - Jayden Pierre (PC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

‘22 NJ PG - Jayden Pierre (PC)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jayden Pierre — PG
School: Elizabeth High School
Travel:

Height: 6’0"
Weight: 165

Rankings: None

Offers:
Rhode Island
Rutgers
Florida
New Mexico St
Robert Morris

Interest:
SJU
Pitt
SHU

0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘22 NJ PG - Jayden Pierre

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

pipe dream or realistic chance, DC?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tough to tell this soon.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I know we were heavily involved with Chris Silva when he was at Roselle. Is the same coach there now?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I know we were heavily involved with Chris Silva when he was at Roselle. Is the same coach there now?
Oops, never mind. I just saw that he's from Roselle but doesn't attend Roselle Catholic.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Kid reminds me a bit of Dowtin.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This player looks really good. Lightning quick and crafty. Can distribute and shoot it.
Needs to get stronger, but he is a '22 so he will fill out. Nice.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Last edited by CamsRams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Recruitment pick up for four-star Jayden Pierre

VIP ByBRIAN SNOW 23 hours ago

The state of New Jersey is loaded with quality guards in the class of 2022, and one of the best is Jayden Pierre. Pierre, who is just now seeing his recruitment take off, combines quickness, athleticism, feel for the game, and improved shot making.

Standing nearly 6-foot-2, Pierre is considered a four-star prospect and the No. 107 player in the country in his class according to the 247Sports Top247.

Now Pierre is beginning to see his recruitment heat up, and he continues to get more attention from schools all over the country.

“I’ve been in touch the most with Auburn, Stanford, Connecticut, Illinois, and Rhode Island,” said Pierre. “Also, Michigan has started to reach out recently.”

Pierre continued, “Rhode Island is really prioritizing me. They are telling me that I could go in there with a good team around me where I could run the show and control the team.”

Auburn is another school that has decided to turn up the heat a little bit on Pierre in recent months, and he is just now starting to learn about Bruce Pearl’s program.

“They are telling me to continue to work and that they like my game,” said Pierre of Auburn. “I don’t know much about them yet, but they are an SEC school that plays fast and at a high level, so I am very interested.”

Connecticut is a program that has been very hot on the recruiting trail recently, and Pierre said when they first called, he knew more about the program than he initially thought.

“When they called me the first time, they kind of gave me a little quiz about the program,” said Pierre. “I knew a lot more than I thought I knew. I feel like them going back to the Big East is huge. Also, it is close to home and I’ve been on the campus once before and it is pretty nice.”

Another school of interest to Pierre is Stanford. Given that he is an excellent student as well as basketball player, Pierre was excited to hear from the Cardinal.

“It is great to have Stanford recruiting me,” said Pierre. “It shows that my hard work is paying off. I have worked hard in the classroom and on the court, and my parents have always pushed me to be great in both areas, so it means a lot to have Stanford notice that.”

For now, Pierre is just beginning to sort through the recruiting process. When the time does come for him to make a decision, Pierre knows what he will be looking for in a program.

“I am going to look at how they let their guards play,” explained Pierre. “Also, the interactions between the coach and the guards, how does that work? Do they let the guard go or do they try and control him? I will also look at if it is a half-court offense or an up and down system.”
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody really going hard for him - hope it pays off.
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Facebook page URI BBALL JUST GETTING STARTED has a post about him. They have a good track record of posting stuff
On guys we get. Hope it’s the same with this guy.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Facebook page URI BBALL JUST GETTING STARTED has a post about him. They have a good track record of posting stuff
Do not read into that. Kid has a long list.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Facebook page URI BBALL JUST GETTING STARTED has a post about him. They have a good track record of posting stuff
Yes, we would be considered a longshot, both him and Corey Floyd are 2 of the top guards in NJ class of 22'

Rutgers in early on NJ point guard Jayden Pierre
ByDUSHAWN LONDON Feb 9, 1:43 PM)
Elizabeth High School (Elizabeth, N.J.) point guard Jayden Pierre has developed a reputation as one of the more exciting players in the state of New Jersey. A member of the class of 2022, Pierre has been leading the way for his team averaging 17 points along with 4.7 assists per game.
Rutgers head coach Steve Pikiell is very familiar with Pierre and this Minutemen team as they sit only 19 miles from campus. Elizabeth head coach Phil Colicchio also has a great connection with Pikiell and that has been a big part in the recruiting process.
“Steve Pikiell has been down to see Jayden, he has a lot of interest in him as a sophomore and I just think it's going to continue to grow as he gets older, more mature and better,” Colicchio said.
Pierre already claims a few early offers and they have been extended by Rutgers, Florida, and Robert Morris. The 6-foot point guard has also recently begun talking to with Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Scarlet Nation was able to catch up with the standout guard following a rival game against Linden High. Pierre provided his team with textbook defense and prolific scoring in that game. He finished with a game-high 28 points and put the game away by sinking clutch free throws down the stretch in a hostile environment.
“Even though I’m a sophomore my coach tells me I'm the best guard in the state,” Pierre said. “With that being said, I don't play like a sophomore, I don't think like a sophomore. I feel like I got to be a leader on my team. Even though there are seniors and guys ahead of me, I still need to step up and play a big role.”
Over the past couple of years, Rutgers has started a tradition of securing some in-state players. In the class of 2018 and 2019, the Knights were able to sign Don Bosco forward Ron Harper Jr. and Gill St. Bernard combo guard Paul Mulcahy. For Pierre, being able to stay home is something that would potentially interest him when it comes to deciding on a school.
“It would mean a lot, being from New Jersey and having my home crowd with me. I feel like it's a great atmosphere and it's not too far from home,” Pierre said.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

URI BBALL JUST GETTING STARTED is a fan who reposts videos on kids in contention. He is not a recruitment insider.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
URI BBALL JUST GETTING STARTED is a fan who reposts videos on kids in contention. He is not a recruitment insider.
He's also a member here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's show this kid some love!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do not like our chances
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Gee - only 28???
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He will end up at Rutgers
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago He will end up at Rutgers
Yes my thinking too, they have been in on him early as I previously posted. If both him and Floyd end up at Rutgers, their starting backcourt will set up nicely for the future.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pikell doing a nice job at RU
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Top notch player and a true PG is exactly what we need. Hand him the keys.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think landing him would be huge, he is extremely talented and this would be considered a longshot. My guess he ends up at a high major.

Although if we luck out and get him and Chance sticks with us, can you imagine our future backcourt, oh well we can dream.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

As opposed to the "position-less basketball" pundits, I am a huge believer that a great PG is a difference maker at the college level.
This kid would be a great addition at URI.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago As opposed to the "position-less basketball" pundits, I am a huge believer that a great PG is a difference maker at the college level.
This kid would be a great addition at URI.
Don't get too excited his recruitment has blown up, many P6 offers and he is considered one of the top PG in the Metro area.

If Cox felt like he had a good shot at him, he probably wouldn't of gone after Sebastian Thomas.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Ummm. I look to be positive here as much as possible, but this statement does not make sense as it confuses two totally different levels of players.
Pierre is a top rated PG. Don't try to sell Thomas as a nice consolation prize or even an adequate replacement. That is absurd.

Thomas checks the "it will be nice to see a Rhode Island kid in there for the last 30 seconds of a blow out" box.
Honestly, when Thomas signed I was not even worried that he would deter another PG from signing here.
If Pierre has blown by us and we are off him, lets stop posting updates and remove the thread rather than deceive the fan base into thinking we have a shot at a top recruit.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Ummm. I look to be positive here as much as possible, but this statement does not make sense as it confuses two totally different levels of players.
Pierre is a top rated PG. Don't try to sell Thomas as a nice consolation prize or even an adequate replacement. That is absurd.

Thomas checks the "it will be nice to see a Rhode Island kid in there for the last 30 seconds of a blow out" box.
Honestly, when Thomas signed I was not even worried that he would deter another PG from signing here.
If Pierre has blown by us and we are off him, lets stop posting updates and remove the thread rather than deceive the fan base into thinking we have a shot at a top recruit.
Yes of course anything is possible and maybe Cox has a special relationship with Pierre that we are unaware of.
Aside from that, it is very doubtful that we land him, but again you never know.
Cox and the staff must of seen some potential or something special about Thomas that they like, otherwise they wouldn't of offered him.
Maybe he was the fallback plan in case they thought Pierre wasn't going to happen.
I doubt they take another guard with the remaining opening at this point, but maybe make an exception in this case if Pierre still has interest in us. IMO

Many of the fans are still curious about what happens to recruits that we are/were heavily involved with.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The Friars just offered
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Committed to the Ducks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Committed to the Ducks.
Damn, huge get for PC
https://friarbasketball.substack.com/p/ ... e-in-class

Their future backcourt may be set with Quante Berry and now Pierre.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: ‘22 NJ PG - Jayden Pierre (PC)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

This thread kind of illustrates how nutty recruiting can be. A year ago, URI was hard after him. Ten months ago, DC Rams thought Rutgers had a great shot at him. PC and URI were in a graphic with 28(!) other schools eight months ago, but the Friars didn't even offer him until a month ago. If this was ever my coverage beat when I was a reporter, it would honestly drive me insane.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Another great get by a team I want us to be better than.. Props to Cooley.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago This thread kind of illustrates how nutty recruiting can be. A year ago, URI was hard after him. Ten months ago, DC Rams thought Rutgers had a great shot at him. PC and URI were in a graphic with 28(!) other schools eight months ago, but the Friars didn't even offer him until a month ago. If this was ever my coverage beat when I was a reporter, it would honestly drive me insane.
It’s rare for PC to win a battle like this. They’ve kind of become accustomed to being one of the first teams on a kid, then his recruiting blows up and they lose a final 3 battle to a blue blood. Nice to see the script flipped on this one. Minnesota has led for Pierre for months, but Cooley closed quickly.
1 x
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

Maybe PC has a new sugar daddy or a company sponsor. Coach for life would need something to help his recruiting.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This kid gonna be a thorn in our side
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago This thread kind of illustrates how nutty recruiting can be. A year ago, URI was hard after him. Ten months ago, DC Rams thought Rutgers had a great shot at him. PC and URI were in a graphic with 28(!) other schools eight months ago, but the Friars didn't even offer him until a month ago. If this was ever my coverage beat when I was a reporter, it would honestly drive me insane.
Nature of college recruiting. Offers don’t mean anything anymore. Some offers are thrown out there as a life raft in case higher priorities fall through, some are to have a connection if a kid blows up, some are genuine, meaning we will accept your commitment today. More often than not, coaches don’t actually want a commitment until they request the recruit to get a pulse for it. Teams back off for a number of reasons….handlers, AAU/HS coaches, parents, unrealistic requests or expectations, etc….once you put the ball in the recruits hands (if they are high enough priority) that’s where the what have you done for me lately comes into play if you are not a BIG SCHOOL, with a pedigree, and a name coach. That’s not ALL COACHES/STAFFS, but MOST.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago
Nature of college recruiting. Offers don’t mean anything anymore. Some offers are thrown out there as a life raft in case higher priorities fall through, some are to have a connection if a kid blows up, some are genuine, meaning we will accept your commitment today. More often than not, coaches don’t actually want a commitment until they request the recruit to get a pulse for it. Teams back off for a number of reasons….handlers, AAU/HS coaches, parents, unrealistic requests or expectations, etc….once you put the ball in the recruits hands (if they are high enough priority) that’s where the what have you done for me lately comes into play if you are not a BIG SCHOOL, with a pedigree, and a name coach. That’s not ALL COACHES/STAFFS, but MOST.
What the hell are you talking about? Hurley got the recruits. Cox hasn't. That's about how I see it.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
What the hell are you talking about? Hurley got the recruits. Cox hasn't. That's about how I see it.
I guess Pierre wasn't good enough for URI. :lol:
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
You’ll find a way to spin anything I say.

The response had nothing to do with Cox or Hurley.

Get a fucking life…Jesus Christ.
0 x