‘18 PA SG - Allen Betrand (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘18 PA SG - Allen Betrand (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It will be a flood of waivers. NCAA better starting adding this to their list of priorities.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I think in the new recruiting climate, someone like Coach David Cox can really excel. I also think it is going to be tricky for observers to navigate. This is where the guys who make those elaborate Excel spreadsheets of players coming in and what season they will be eligible for will be very handy, with so many transfers. Right now, it's ok, because we have 4 transfers, but all of their fates will be the same. But once you have a cascade of transfers for different years, we will need the bean counters to help us out.

Also, these rules could change. Again, Cox was able to take advantage of the rule and score 4 high impact transfers. It could be 2 transfers and one freshman for the following class, and then perhaps one transfer and two freshman for the class after that, depending on what the NCAA ultimately does and what decisions they make regarding future transfers.

So, there was a window of opportunity there, and it's still ajar, but for how long? We don't know.

One last point, Cox helped this team in the long run, because he did the # 1 thing any manager needs to do, transcendent of any profession, and that is he increased the number of personnel that actually want to be here. There was a house cleaning, it seems only Fatts is still on the fence and could go either way, but ultimately, the number of players who are now committed to be here, who WANT to be here is very high, and that will only help going forward.

End of rant
Time will tell how long the freshmen want to be here. Transfers will play an integral part going forward but so will 4-year players. Cox has to start holding onto his recruits in higher numbers.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, URI is in that "sweet spot" in the A-10, which is not a good thing. If someone excels here, and they have not already transferred in, the P5's will be like vultures.

So, if the NCAA plans to allow these new transfer rules go ahead, Rhode Island could very well become Transfer University, in more ways than one. Need a captain at the helm that can take advantage of that.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, URI is in that "sweet spot" in the A-10, which is not a good thing. If someone excels here, and they have not already transferred in, the P5's will be like vultures.

So, if the NCAA plans to allow these new transfer rules go ahead, Rhode Island could very well become Transfer University, in more ways than one. Need a captain at the helm that can take advantage of that.
It sucks we most likely won’t be following great players for 4 years like we’ve been able to the last few years, but if we have to become “Transfer U,” I’m all for it.

Give me the best players however possible.
0 x
Go Rhody
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Been watching videos on Betrand’s Instagram page. This appears to be a very good get for Rhody. Anybody know when he signs transfer papers and we can announce?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Been watching videos on Betrand’s Instagram page. This appears to be a very good get for Rhody. Anybody know when he signs transfer papers and we can announce?
I’m sure he started that right away.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nice interview bit on Fox Providence today regarding Allen.

Confident guy, nice skilz.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Once this team get's put together for '21, Betrand is going to be a "10" in a room full of "10's", as my friend Bruce used to like to say.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Getting Betrand was a key add for Cox and URI. There will be lots of talent on hand for 2021-22 with him, the Mitchell Twins and Martin to go with this years freshman and Harris. Adding a point guard(s)for the 2021-22 team will be very important to go with all the wings and front court players
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Betrand Officially Added to 2020-21 Men's Basketball Roster

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0521k7xyof
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I got excited, thought it meant he got a waiver
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

With the Mitchells receiving their waivers, Rhode Island will have at least 10 scholarship players in uniform this season. Transfers Malik Martin and Jalen Carey are still awaiting word.

https://gorhody.com/news/2020/8/17/mens ... 20-21.aspx

Is Betrand not applying for a waiver?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago With the Mitchells receiving their waivers, Rhode Island will have at least 10 scholarship players in uniform this season. Transfers Malik Martin and Jalen Carey are still awaiting word.

He is not
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago With the Mitchells receiving their waivers, Rhode Island will have at least 10 scholarship players in uniform this season. Transfers Malik Martin and Jalen Carey are still awaiting word.

He is not
Do we know why not?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

He is not
Do we know why not?
One - he had no basis for it.
Two - he wasn’t going to start this year and with Fatts & Sheppard graduating he has a much better chance the following two years.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago

He is not
Do we know why not?
Two - he wasn’t going to start this year and with Fatts & Sheppard graduating he has a much better chance the following two years.
One - Correct.
Two - he would’ve been the best player on the team, imho. Yes, better all-around than FATTS. But it’s a good problem to have him ready for next year.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Do we know why not?
One - Correct.
Two - he would’ve been the best player on the team, imho. Yes, better all-around than FATTS. But it’s a good problem to have him ready for next year.
Agree to disagree on Two. It’s a big jump from Towson. Fatts was First Team A10 and is a preseason All American.
I like your enthusiasm. Either way he wasn’t getting more minutes than Fatts (who will get 30+). He will get more minutes next year.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

One - Correct.
Agree to disagree on Two. It’s a big jump from Towson. Fatts was First Team A10 and is a preseason All American.
I like your enthusiasm. Either way he wasn’t getting more minutes than Fatts (who will get 30+). He will get more minutes next year.
Because he went to Towson has nothing to do with my evaluation or any other coach who evaluated him once he decided to transfer. The dude will be an All A-10 for the 3 years he will be here.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He’s really good. This board is so negative.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One - Correct.
Because he went to Towson has nothing to do with my evaluation or any other coach who evaluated him once he decided to transfer. The dude will be an All A-10 for the 3 years he will be here.
He only has 2 years of eligibility.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You’re right, my bad.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago He’s really good. This board is so negative.
How is saying Fatts is better than Betrand so negative?
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Hope this kid turns out to be a total stud. Agree though, smart to take the year given so many scorers on this team. Get acclimated with the system and crush it next year.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago He’s really good. This board is so negative.
How is saying Fatts is better than Betrand so negative?
It’s not being negative. I like Betrand a lot, but can we see him play at this level before making him out to be better than Fatts. I hope he is, but he hasn’t accomplished what Fatts has up to this point.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Rhode Island now has 11 of its 13 scholarship players eligible for the 2020-21 season. Junior transfer Malik Martin (Charlotte) is awaiting word on his waiver from the NCAA. Fellow junior Allen Betrand, a transfer from Towson, will sit out this season and have two seasons of eligibility
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

He is not
Do we know why not?

The video previously posted mentions he will be applying for the waiver. (1:40)

https://www.wpri.com/sports/towson-tran ... asketball/
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The go Rhody web site run by URI says Betrand is sitting Out:
https://gorhody.com/news/2020/8/19/mens ... eason.aspx
Last edited by Rhody74 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nothing to do with Fatts. I was responding to a comment that questioned Bertrand leveling up.

Im just really excited about this team and the program. Like usual. Don't mind me.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Since they are dishing waivers left and right maybe he can change his mind and apply now?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Since they are dishing waivers left and right maybe he can change his mind and apply now?
There were over a thousand D1 players transferring, how many waiver have there been so far? Maybe 40? There's no justification for the perception that the NCAA is giving everyone a waiver, yet.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 3 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Since they are dishing waivers left and right maybe he can change his mind and apply now?
There were over a thousand D1 players transferring, how many waiver have there been so far? Maybe 40? There's no justification for the perception that the NCAA is giving everyone a waiver, yet.
It seems like way more than 40, although from doing a quick search on Google News, the NCAA is still the NCAA - they denied waivers for a sixth year for a New Mexico state player who only had three games because of an injury last year, as well as some for Wake Forest and Kentucky, IIRC.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 3 years ago
It seems like way more than 40, although from doing a quick search on Google News, the NCAA is still the NCAA - they denied waivers for a sixth year for a New Mexico state player who only had three games because of an injury last year, as well as some for Wake Forest and Kentucky, IIRC.
Well I'm glad our program is making these decisions based on actual information as opposed to what it seems. And I know I'm beating a dead horse, but again we have no idea which waiver requests provided a sufficient amount of detail and documentation of the need to transfer and which didn't.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I mean why wouldn't he??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Okay I read back and saw the arguments for him not playing and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

If he is potentially better than Fatts or at least the second best player on the team, he would no doubt get playing time. Even if he struggled with the system he would still have 21-22 to prove he is as good as he and others hope and would thus go pro at an earlier age which is always more attractive than an older age.
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Okay I read back and saw the arguments for him not playing and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

If he is potentially better than Fatts or at least the second best player on the team, he would no doubt get playing time. Even if he struggled with the system he would still have 21-22 to prove he is as good as he and others hope and would thus go pro at an earlier age which is always more attractive than an older age.
I agree with this statement. I would like to understand why DC thinks he would be the best player on the team, including Fatts, which is a very strong statement. But if he's the best player on the team why not try for a waiver, even if there is limited chance it gets approve.

Not trying to poke the bear with DC because I value his input, but your statement on Betrand seem to have come out of no where. Has he been killing it during the summer sessions with the team so far?
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

The NCAA used to be broken. Now they're overwhelmed and broken!
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think having him sit a year to play 2 more is looking at the program in the long run rather than just this year. I know it is college basketball and you have to take it 1 year at a time only, but it gives us some more insurance the 2 years after this.

Betting that the effect he has on the 21-22 and 22-23 team outweighs the possible effect he has on this years team. Managing the roster. In Cox I trust.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I think having him sit a year to play 2 more is looking at the program in the long run rather than just this year. I know it is college basketball and you have to take it 1 year at a time only, but it gives us some more insurance the 2 years after this.

Betting that the effect he has on the 21-22 and 22-23 team outweighs the possible effect he has on this years team. Managing the roster. In Cox I trust.
It would no doubt be better for the 22-23 team.

Would also be better for the current team to have as many talented guys as possible to maximize its ability to make and win in the tournament. The sooner we make the tournament the better and the longer it takes the harder it is for us to compete and reach our goals.

Either way if we add Malik we will be more than talented enough to make stuff happen in the dance.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bkoeppen wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Okay I read back and saw the arguments for him not playing and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I agree with this statement. I would like to understand why DC thinks he would be the best player on the team, including Fatts, which is a very strong statement. But if he's the best player on the team why not try for a waiver, even if there is limited chance it gets approve.

Not trying to poke the bear with DC because I value his input, but your statement on Betrand seem to have come out of no where. Has he been killing it during the summer sessions with the team so far?
I know a few coaches who really believe he could’ve gone P5. I’ve seen him play at Towson and in high school and I’ve always thought he was the best player on the floor. Go check out some of the game replays or highlights from some of Towson’s bigger games last season. He plays with such poise, he lets the game come to him and his shot falls so effortlessly.

He had the weakest case for a waiver of all the transfers, I’m guessing the staff didn’t want to abuse the system, who knows, but there was zero merit for a waiver.

Just my .02. I like the kid, I don’t think my opinion of him being better than FATTS is a bad thing... it’s just my personal opinion based on what I’ve seen.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

It would be nice to have him on this years team but it would be just another mouth to feed. But there is also the benefit of having him and Carey for two years after fatts and jeremy leave. When we need talented guards to bridge to the upperclassmen years of berry and leggett.

Also many of you are worried about the freshman or others transferring early out of URI. Having betrand in the mix this year would increase the likelihood that one of the freshman guards would be become unhappy with their role and transfer out with 6 talented guards on the roster for this year. Pushing betrand to the following year might keep everyone happy especially since his waiver request would be a long shot anyways.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago It would be nice to have him on this years team but it would be just another mouth to feed. But there is also the benefit of having him and Carey for two years after fatts and jeremy leave. When we need talented guards to bridge to the upperclassmen years of berry and leggett.

Also many of you are worried about the freshman or others transferring early out of URI. Having betrand in the mix this year would increase the likelihood that one of the freshman guards would be become unhappy with their role and transfer out with 6 talented guards on the roster for this year. Pushing betrand to the following year might keep everyone happy especially since his waiver request would be a long shot anyways.
You hit the nail on the head.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago It would be nice to have him on this years team but it would be just another mouth to feed. But there is also the benefit of having him and Carey for two years after fatts and jeremy leave. When we need talented guards to bridge to the upperclassmen years of berry and leggett.

Sevegny7 be the voice of reason
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am good with AB sitting out this year , makes us stronger for the future
1 x
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

Unread post by raminwarwick »

This is a very smart move on his part. He gets an extra year to improve his BB and ends up with a free Masters. A win /win either way it works out great for his future.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 3 years ago I am good with AB sitting out this year , makes us stronger for the future
Agree with everyone on this. It works out much better with him sitting this year with all the other players clearing waivers.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

So uh... this year doesn't count against eligibility...how bout dat waiver now👀👀👀
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago So uh... this year doesn't count against eligibility...how bout dat waiver now👀👀👀
Makes sense. Nothing to lose. If injuries occur, COVID cases pop, unexpected transfers Out happen mid season, etc then Betrand is an option. Why not.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Yes makes zero sense not to apply for the waiver it would seem.
0 x