General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by rhodylaw »

In retrospect, Jacob probably made an ok decision because he really needs a year to grow his body, another subpar A10 year and I think the book would have written on him.

Tyrese is a really good player but I just don’t think he gets 35 mins a game at UConn and I don’t think he is the star player there. This would have been Fatts and Tyrese’s team this year and I think he would be getting national publicity and move that to a good pro career overseas which is likely his ceiling.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago In retrospect, Jacob probably made an ok decision because he really needs a year to grow his body, another subpar A10 year and I think the book would have written on him.

Tyrese is a really good player but I just don’t think he gets 35 mins a game at UConn and I don’t think he is the star player there. This would have been Fatts and Tyrese’s team this year and I think he would be getting national publicity and move that to a good pro career overseas which is likely his ceiling.
Tyrese definitely made a mistake. Hurley is going to play his Top 50 recruits before Tyrese. He will use their playing time to to after Top 50 recruits for the next year. The top recruit for ‘20 and 21’ are Top 50 SF & SG.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We are starting to see many HS and prep players making oral commitments for '21, What would be our wish list on players below that we have reportedly offered? We currently have 2 open spots for '21 with Fatts and Shepperd leaving:
PG - Kobe Johnson, Darrius Davis, Zaire Wade
SG - Tahron Allen, Jayden Doyle, Alexis Reyes
SF- Ed Holland, Chris Mantis, Jayden Nunn,
PF/C - Legend Geeter, Abdou Samb, Kyle Ross
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago We are starting to see many HS and prep players making oral commitments for '21, What would be our wish list on players below that we have reportedly offered? We currently have 2 open spots for '21 with Fatts and Shepperd leaving:
Alexis Reyes is the only one I've seen play live. I'd be thrilled with him.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago We are starting to see many HS and prep players making oral commitments for '21, What would be our wish list on players below that we have reportedly offered? We currently have 2 open spots for '21 with Fatts and Shepperd leaving:
Jayden Nunn and Tahron Allen are priorities
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Jayden Nunn and Tahron Allen are priorities
Thanks for this info DC Rams and Jersey77. Found this recruiting article on Jayden Nunn. Looks like he is being under recruited if he is our priority which I don't doubt. Based on this list, I would say RI is clearly his best offer. But he mentions he wants to go somewhere he can play immediately. Will see how that impacts his decision.

ttps://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/06/ ... title.html
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Good to hear that Nunn and Allen are priorities. Always need shooters.
Targeting a PF that could develop for a year would be great. Kyle Ross would be a great fit.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

RJ Melendez looks interesting, but has a number of P5 offers.
Kobe Johnson removed us from his list today.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

There were many previous posts on Ed Holland and we seemed to have had interest in him early on . His recruitment has been quiet lately and our staff had zoom meetings with him in late June. We were included in his final 8 along with a host of Ivy League schools. We did have success lately in recruiting kids from Pa, but not sure where we are currently at with him. He is an excellent student and has a high basketball IQ along with the talent and skills. Just curious where we are with his recruitment.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

My opinion, well guess, is that there's a very good chance we don't sign anyone in the early period.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think if we can get players who can contribute and willing to commit during the early period we should pursue it, why miss out on some young talent. Besides that who knows how many players we may lose to transfers this season, our recent history hasn't been great. I would hate for us to have to scramble for bodies next year.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I think if we can get players who can contribute and willing to commit during the early period we should pursue it, why miss out on some young talent. Besides that who knows how many players we may lose to transfers this season, our recent history hasn't been great. I would hate for us to have to scramble for bodies next year.
I like the position we are in now in regards to transfers. Since our guys were granted immediate eligibility, chances of them transferring again is even slimmer.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not as concerned about our transfers leaving next season, they can always decide to do post-grad somewhere else down the road and get immediate eligibility. We haven't had success as of late with keeping our freshman recruits in our program, that worries me the most. I like all 3 that we signed this year and hope they stay for the duration and not bolt because of playing time or greener pastures.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey, it’s a new day.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes it is, let's see how this season plays out.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Lets get a waiver for Malik, and then we will say "Toppin who?" "Tyrese who?"
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Andrew McConnell can shoot the rock.
Put this string into YouTube: 2021 PG Andrew McConnell 3- Point Tape
Good spot up shooter but can also shoot it moving right, left, off the dribble, off a screen, step backs.

Not a big kid and not super quick, but makes good decisions with the ball.
Another good looking recruit.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Lets get a waiver for Malik, and then we will say "Toppin who?" "Tyrese who?"
I will miss the guys who have left because they were part of the program but overall we probably have come out ahead based on the players that have transferred in/out of the program. Thank goodness for the waivers being approved.
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Lets get a waiver for Malik, and then we will say "Toppin who?" "Tyrese who?"
I will miss the guys who have left because they were part of the program but overall we probably have come out ahead based on the players that have transferred in/out of the program. Thank goodness for the waivers being approved.

Nahhhhh no time to miss a bunch of unloyal children. They shall not be named and they will be forgotten
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I liked Toppin and Martin, but we are better now without them. Go Rhody!
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would be extremely happy if we fill out this class with Abdou Samb and either Jayden Nunn or Tahron Allen. I think Alexis Reyes is a longshot at this time. I think we go the transfer route if we lose additional players this year, but I like our core of players going forward.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

So we’re now looking at Nunn, Allen or McConnell for final spot in ‘21?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I still like Nunn, Allen, and Holland, and I would be happy with anyone of them. But... now that we offered McConnell he seems like the best fit and my first choice. He is a pure PG and will really stretch the floor, we should be okay at the other guard spot with our current freshman.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bryant coach Grasso offers 8th graders so he can be the “first to offer”. It hasn’t worked yet. They have made 500 offers in 3 years. If you are a recruit what value do you place on an offer from Bryant. They hand them out like free tickets to their basketball games.

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The absolute DUMBEST recruiting philosophy, EVER.

Way to make a kid feel wanted.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago The absolute DUMBEST recruiting philosophy, EVER.

I don’t think the offers are about getting the recruits, the offers are about letting the basketball world know Bryant has a D-1 team (or exists as a school to folks outside of NE). Repeatedly seeing the school on Rivals is a subliminal marketing campaign for a program that hasn’t been D-1 for very long.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago The absolute DUMBEST recruiting philosophy, EVER.

I don’t think the offers are about getting the recruits, the offers are about letting the basketball world know Bryant has a D-1 team (or exists as a school to folks outside of NE). Repeatedly seeing the school on Rivals is a subliminal marketing campaign for a program that hasn’t been D-1 for very long.
I think that is part of what Grasso is trying to do but who is he marketing to? Recruits and College basketball junkies follow the announcements on Twitter, IG & recruiting websites.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting Final 3:
ACC
BE
A10

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Carey listed at #72 impact newcomer by ESPN
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ms-2020-21
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

72. Jalen Carey, Rhode Island (transfer): A former ESPN 100 prospect, Carey didn't put it together at Syracuse, but he could start alongside star senior Fatts Russell in a dynamic and talented backcourt.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dayton lands it's highest ranked recruit ever, DaRon Holmes (forward) top 50 prospect 2021 from Arizona:

Two-time All-Arizona basketball player DaRon Holmes commits to Dayton Flyers
Richard Obert
Arizona Republic

Millennium's DaRon Holmes (23) heads back down court celebrating an up-and-under layup during the second half at Millennium High School against Gilbert in Goodyear, Ariz. on January 9, 2020.
Two-time All-Arizona basketball player DaRon Holmes, who left Goodyear Millennium to play his senior season at Montverde Academy in Florida, announced Saturday on social media he has committed to Dayton.
Dayton was among the 6-foot-9 forward's final four colleges, along with Arizona, California and Marquette.
In his Instagram video post, Holmes thanks his coaches and teachers, his trainers, his family.
"Growing up I've always had a passion for the game," he says in his commitment video. "I've always been taught to work hard day in and day out. I'm going to continue to learn and grow at a high level so I can fulfill my dreams. I will always strive for great success and great opportunities.
"This is the toughest decision of my life. These are all great schools. But I can only choose one. To further my academic and athletic career, I will be attending the University of Dayton in Ohio. Go Flyers."After Holmes narrowed his list to four last month, Holmes wrote to The Republic on Dayton:
"Dayton Flyers have a really nice program (that's) also underrated to me. They do a great job with their players and the coaching staff is really cool."
Holmes was the Gatorade Arizona High School Boys Basketball Player of the Year last season, after averaging 23.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.8 blocks and 3.1 assists for a Millennium team that was ranked No. 1 in The Republic's Super 10 for most of the season, before falling to Glendale Ironwood in the 5A title game.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Crystal ball predictions now has 3/4 * forward Rafael Castro 100% committing (not final) to Providence. He was at one time a strong Dayton lean and they are included in his final top three.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2021 three-star PF Jalen DeLoach commits to VCU
ByTRAVIS BRANHAM Nov 1, 5:48 PM
Three-star 2021 prospect Jalen DeLoach has committed to Mike Rhoades and VCU, he tells 247Sports.

"I will be going to VCU," said DeLoach.
The 6-foot-8 and 190-pound power forward out of Lilburn (Ga.) Berkmar chose the Rams over his other five finalists Georgia, Kansas State, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Texas Southern.
"Me and coach Rhoades have a great relationship and basically the whole staff," DeLoach said of why he committed to VCU. "They were hard on me the hardest and it's somewhere I can go right way and play and have an impact."
One thing that really stood out to DeLoach about VCU's pitch was their need for someone who is versatile like him.
"They have nobody like me and they need somebody that's very versatile and somebody that can guard every ball screen and things like that," said DeLoach. "I was a need."
When it came to what stood out about that staff particularly was their intentional daily pursuit of him.
"How they were on me everyday," he said. "Every morning I would get a call or text from the whole staff, the head coach wanted me real bad and he wanted to coach me."
As to what he will bring to that program, DeLoach says he will hopefully bring a championship.
"I'm going to be a leader and I will hopefully bring a championship."

DeLoach is currently the No. 268 overall prospect in the 2021 247Sports Composite Rankings and is Mike Rhoades' first commitment in the 2021 class.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Providence lands Class of 2021 forward Rafael Castro
Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
By ADAM ZAGORIA
Rafael Castro, the Class of 2021 forward from Dover (N.J.) High School, committed to Providence on Thursday, he told ZAGSBLOG.
Ranked the No. 23 power forward in the 247Sports.com Composite, the 6-foot-10, 200-pound Castro chose the Friars over Dayton and Miami.
“I’ll be taking my talents to Providence College,” he said in a phone interview ahead of his public announcement.
“My relationship with Ed Cooley was the strongest out of all the coaches. Also playing in the Big East, it’s a good basketball conference. And my family can see some of the games because it’s close to Jersey.”
Castro took a virtual tour of campus with Cooley and recently took an in-person tour of the campus through the admissions department. He plans to sign next week during the NCAA Early Signing Period.
“I’ll definitely work my hardest at Providence and impact the game any way I can, defensively and offensively,” he said. “And I like to win.”
As for what skillset he will bring to Providence, Castro said: “They kind of play through their bigs. They like to run and get in transition, so I like doing all that.”
Castro joins power forward Legend Geeter in Providence’s 2021 class, and his commitment comes after Bryce Hopkins last week chose Kentucky over Providence and Illinois.
“Rafael Castro’s upside is through the roof,” Sports U coach Brian Coleman said. “He is now 6-10, he’s very athletic, he can shoot from the perimeter, he can take guys off the dribble. He has an uncanny knack for blocking shots, he chases rebounds down and he’s a great kid. Very coachable.
“Because of his ability to block shots, rebound and make shots from the perimeter, I think he’ll have good opportunity to see the floor early.”
Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DH getting it done at UConn on the recruiting front:

UConn announces signing of three-man recruiting class ranked No. 8
The UConn men’s basketball program has received signed National Letters of Intent from guards Rahsool Diggins and Jordan Hawkins and forward Samson Johnson.
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

I wasn’t exactly sure where to ask this but was wondering if they’re are any rhody basketball podcasts? I thought I saw on IG that someone was posting a podcast but now I’m unable to find that post

Thanks
Go Rams!
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago I wasn’t exactly sure where to ask this but was wondering if they’re are any rhody basketball podcasts? I thought I saw on IG that someone was posting a podcast but now I’m unable to find that post

Thanks
Go Rams!
That podcast you saw on IG is most likely called "The runnin' rams podcast" I found it online when I searched. It was pretty good to check out. It does have two high school students running the podcast and the first episode they interviewed stone freeman who I think is very good.

Was an entertaining listen.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

And Then There Were None: Penn State Basketball Loses Last 2021 Commit

A few short weeks before the season, and another few short weeks after the announcement of Pat Chambers’ resignation, Penn State basketball finds itself with zero commitments for the 2021 recruiting class. In an unsurprising turn of events, Elijah Hutchins-Everett followed in the footsteps of TaQuan Woodley, and Houston Mallette, respectively, and announced he’s no longer committed to the Nittany Lions.

Recruits and players leaving a program when there’s a coaching change is nothing new. The same thing happened when Chambers came in. Still, it’s tough to see a promising class evaporate almost immediately after the change.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Of these 5 remaining recruits for 21', which is the preference for the 1 open spot left:
Tahron Allen -SG NY
Omar Ziegler - SG Mi
Aisaiah Phillips - PG NC
Darrius Davis - PG Pa/NC
Kyle Ross - PF Ind.

At this point I like Davis, good size at PG and a lot of upside, can be a big time scorer. Probably toughest competition to get him.
Tahron Allen already has had 2 unofficial visits, so maybe our best bet and from NYC where we have good connections
Kyle Ross at PF , probably not the biggest need because we already have Abdou Samb committed in this class.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Of these 5 remaining recruits for 21', which is the preference for the 1 open spot left:
Tahron Allen -SG NY
Omar Ziegler - SG Mi
Aisaiah Phillips - PG NC
Darrius Davis - PG Pa/NC
Kyle Ross - PF Ind.

At this point I like Davis, good size a PG and a lot of upside, can be a big time scorer. Probably toughest competition to get him.
Tahron Allen already has had 2 unofficial visits, so maybe our best bet and from NYC where we have good connections
Kyle Ross at PF , probably not biggest need because we already have Abdou Samb committed in this class.
I would save it for a transfer since we know there will be a record number of them now. Then again, we might have more than 1 open spot if any of our guys transfer. It sure isn't as simple as it used to be trying to project a roster for the following year.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Of these 5 remaining recruits for 21', which is the preference for the 1 open spot left:
Tahron Allen -SG NY
Omar Ziegler - SG Mi
Aisaiah Phillips - PG NC
Darrius Davis - PG Pa/NC
Kyle Ross - PF Ind.

At this point I like Davis, good size at PG and a lot of upside, can be a big time scorer. Probably toughest competition to get him.
Kyle Ross at PF , probably not the biggest need because we already have Abdou Samb committed in this class.
I would save it for a transfer since we know there will be a record number of them now. Then again, we might have more than 1 open spot if any of our guys transfer. It sure isn't as simple as it used to be trying to project a roster for the following year.
I think if they really like the player, they take him
I understand about saving, but who knows what happens in the future (some recruits never make it to campus) or if any current players decide to leave.
Anyway, just curious about the thoughts on the recruits listed above.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

I can see an argument for each of the players listed (although not sure Phillips is the right guy or if Davis is actually a PG).

However, maybe consider another option. I like what they are doing with IleriAyo-Faleye.
Can the staff find another player that intends to do a PG year and convince them to red shirt instead? Preferably a big.

For example (and if I am wrong about this player, DC let me know), Dominic Strother is at Woodstock Academy for his Sr year but is planning to do a PG year which is why he is listed as a '22. Why not spend a red shirt year at URI instead of a PG year at Woodstock?
Woodstock lists him as 6'10", but even if he is actually 6'8", he has wing type skills and would be a nice addition.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago I can see an argument for each of the players listed (although not sure Phillips is the right guy or if Davis is actually a PG).

However, maybe consider another option. I like what they are doing with IleriAyo-Faleye.
Can the staff find another player that intends to do a PG year and convince them to red shirt instead? Preferably a big.

For example (and if I am wrong about this player, DC let me know), Dominic Strother is at Woodstock Academy for his Sr year but is planning to do a PG year which is why he is listed as a '22. Why not spend a red shirt year at URI instead of a PG year at Woodstock?
Woodstock lists him as 6'10", but even if he is actually 6'8", he has wing type skills and would be a nice addition.
Is Dominic related to Steve?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago I can see an argument for each of the players listed (although not sure Phillips is the right guy or if Davis is actually a PG).

I actually prefer Quaran Mcpherson PG/CG from Woodstock. He has good size (6'4"), explosive, and a big time scorer. One of the top rated guards in New England.
Several majors were interested:
UConn - At their limit and already have 2 guards committed, Diggins and Hawkins
Nebraska- Over their limit and also have 2 committed
Iowa State - They just got Jayden Nunn
PC, St. Johns, Auburn also showing interest.
We were on him at one time, not sure where we stand. He had a bigtime summer and his recruitment blew up. He may be a reach for us.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Tahron Allen, tough New York guard.
0 x