'19 DC C - Makhi Mitchell (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 DC C - Makhi Mitchell (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by ramster »

It’s not a new rule. It’s a waiver which is an exception to the rule.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I don’t think there is Any chance the NCAA makes the twins sit out 3 straight semesters of college basketball.
Unfortunately , I don't think the NCAA gives a rats ass if the twins ever play let alone miss 3 straight semesters.
I hope DC rams has some insider info and the twins are eligible but according to the rules as written they
don't play until 21-22 without a waiver and why a 1/2 season waiver? Kind of all or nothing IMHO
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago It’s not a new rule. It’s a waiver which is an exception to the rule.
To my knowledge, there has never been a transfer waiver granted that gave a player mid-season eligibility. Any players who didn't get a waiver at the start of the season were able to play mid-season because they transferred halfway through the prior season and enrolled on campus.

I would be interested if someone could dig up a name or scenario that was similar, but from my perspective the proposal on the prior page would be a complete departure from past precedent or written rule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago It’s not a new rule. It’s a waiver which is an exception to the rule.
To my knowledge, there has never been a transfer waiver granted that gave a player mid-season eligibility. Any players who didn't get a waiver at the start of the season were able to play mid-season because they transferred halfway through the prior season and enrolled on campus.

I would be interested if someone could dig up a name or scenario that was similar, but from my perspective the proposal on the prior page would be a complete departure from past precedent or written rule.
I'll give you two names, just be patient.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If first semester ends at Thanksgiving does that mean they are eligible 12/1 under DCs scenario?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago If first semester ends at Thanksgiving does that mean they are eligible 12/1 under DCs scenario?
As I understand it, the first semester does not end at Thanksgiving. That will be the end of in person instruction for the first semester (I’m not convinced they will make it that far.). Then they will finish the last week or two of classes virtually, as well as finals. The semester will end in mid December, as it usually does.
The idea is to eliminate the issues of leaving campus over Thanksgiving break and then coming right back from various locations throughout the country.
I believe the second semester may start a week later than usual. There was talk about eliminating spring break: once again, to eliminate issues with leaving campus for various locations and coming back to campus the next week. I don’t know if a final decision has been made on that yet.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

At this point wouldn’t it just be better to not play a shortened no-fans season and bring everyone back plus transfers for “normal “ season next year?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago At this point wouldn’t it just be better to not play a shortened no-fans season and bring everyone back plus transfers for “normal “ season next year?
I’ve been thinking it may come to that.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago At this point wouldn’t it just be better to not play a shortened no-fans season and bring everyone back plus transfers for “normal “ season next year?
Not better for all the Seniors on the team whose career is ended. Russell and Sheppard would lose their Senior years. Especially devastating for Sheppard.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sheppard could end up being one of the most unfortunate stories in Ram basketball history.

Really wanted to see this kid play...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I would maybe rather the shortened season.

If no fall and winter sports make it, ya know what we are left with?

More coronavirus and election/political talk.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Not better for all the Seniors on the team whose career is ended. Russell and Sheppard would lose their Senior years. Especially devastating for Sheppard.
If the season were to be cancelled, all players would be granted waivers to play an additional season. Scholarships would be temporarily increased to allow for such a circumstance. That is what happened with all 2020 spring sports.

That is a different issue than if players chose to not come back to school, because they have their degree in hand and want to go begin a working or professional career.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

If the season were to be cancelled, all players would be granted waivers to play an additional season. Scholarships would be temporarily increased to allow for such a circumstance. That is what happened with all 2020 spring sports.

That is a different issue than if players chose to not come back to school, because they have their degree in hand and want to go begin a working or professional career.
That doesn’t help Sheppard who has already sat out a year, this would make two straight.

Plus increasing the scholarships to 15, 16, 17 or whatever you want just puts more guys on the bench. Not fun.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Again Ramster, that is a bait and switch. You keep saying they lose their senior years, no more basketball/football for them.

It would only be true if the player elects for it to be true. The player would have a waiver to play another year. The school would have to figure out the other pieces (scholarships, etc.).
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes the player gets to have a waiver. My point is it’s not necessarily an option the player, or the Head Coach or the other players on the team want.

It doesn’t come close to making up for a completely lost season

It’s a moot point to me because I believe there will be a College basketball season
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Yes the player gets to have a waiver. My point is it’s not necessarily an option the player, or the Head Coach or the other players on the team want.

It’s a moot point to me because I believe there will be a College basketball season
I would agree that it's only natural coaches, players, administration, and fans would want a season played next year.

No one, myself included, would be happy with another year without a season/NCAA Tournament.

But again -- This is a bait and switch tactic on your part.

Your initial post said:
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Not better for all the Seniors on the team whose career is ended. Russell and Sheppard would lose their Senior years. Especially devastating for Sheppard.
Both those posts are on two different ends of the spectrum.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Yes the player gets to have a waiver. My point is it’s not necessarily an option the player, or the Head Coach or the other players on the team want.

Welp...that makes one of us....
Seems like at some point there needs to be a spit or get off the pot date? No?
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’ve heard a few rumors that the Mitchell’s waiver has already been approved, but hasn’t been formally announced yet. Sources are close to Cox.

Any truth to this? Is that even possible?
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Mitchell mom is very excited on Twitter talking about the upcoming season and the roster being set
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Mitchell mom is very excited on Twitter talking about the upcoming season and the roster being set
Put it like this, if they didn’t get waivers, her tweets would be much different. I think she may be just alluding to the fact that all ships are filled.

However, I have no clue one way or the other
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago I’ve heard a few rumors that the Mitchell’s waiver has already been approved, but hasn’t been formally announced yet. Sources are close to Cox.

Any truth to this? Is that even possible?
I've heard the same.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The Mitchell’s mother just said on Twitter that they haven’t heard yet.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

This whole waiver thing is a joke. If all students get waivers next year, why not extend it to what will be either a shortened or discontinued season this year? If they play this year they use up a season of eligibility, if the season is cancelled, they'll be free to play in 21 and not lose anything anyway.
There doesn't seem to be anything that is set in stone as far as waivers are concerned, as it seems to be a subjective decision in many cases anyway.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago The Mitchell’s mother just said on Twitter that they haven’t heard yet.
She would not take the risk of saying anything on a public forum that could hurt them with the NCAA or Coach Cox.

Announcements on waivers getting granted come after the school receives official documentation. Typically reported on Twitter by one of the college basketball reporters.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago The premise here is that the NCAA literally makes up a rule so the twins don't miss 3 straight semesters of basketballs? When has the NCAA ever been so kind as to generously just make up a new rule on the fly? Is their any similar cases out there one can point to and say "It happened to ___ and even though he didn't go to school second semester of last season, he only missed half the season?" I mean what do I know, it just sounds more like wishful thinking than factual information.
Lol
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago The premise here is that the NCAA literally makes up a rule so the twins don't miss 3 straight semesters of basketballs? When has the NCAA ever been so kind as to generously just make up a new rule on the fly? Is their any similar cases out there one can point to and say "It happened to ___ and even though he didn't go to school second semester of last season, he only missed half the season?" I mean what do I know, it just sounds more like wishful thinking than factual information.
Lol
I've been hearing for some time now that the twins should get their waivers. They don't need a rule change. Just some common sense would say that they already sat out an entire semester from basketball - so sitting out the entire year of 2020-2021 would mean 3 semesters of no basket ball for the twins. On top of this, next year transfers will be immediately eligible. Makes sense that they would get their waivers approved, which I have heard weeks ago (even months ago) the approvals seemed quite likely.
1 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

This news would have had me jumping out of my socks if I knew there would be a season
Last edited by TrevlontRook3 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

It's a done deal.

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Lol
I've been hearing for some time now that the twins should get their waivers. They don't need a rule change. Just some common sense would say that they already sat out an entire semester from basketball - so sitting out the entire year of 2020-2021 would mean 3 semesters of no basket ball for the twins. On top of this, next year transfers will be immediately eligible. Makes sense that they would get their waivers approved, which I have heard weeks ago (even months ago) the approvals seemed quite likely.
Yeah I have agreed with you from the start with that premise. Sometimes you just never know what the NCAA will do at the end of the day. But the likelihood of them receiving a waiver was good. Thus the reason the approach cox took building the roster the way he did.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Lol
You can laugh but I don’t think I was wrong.

I’m sure URI presented many reasons for why they should play, and one of them wasn’t “You have to let them play because they can’t sit for three semesters.”

And I’m glad they are eligible, because when we kick your ass in December you can’t use the excuse “We would have won if the Mitchell’s were eligible.” :D
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was with you rj until that last comment. Last 3 years the Criers are 1-2. I take Fatts winning over anyone on your roster.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Will be absolutely amazed if there is a game in December although I hope there is.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I am shocked & delighted that they were able to get a waiver. I just didn't seem likely in my opinion for a number of reasons...many of which were mentioned in this topic already. Excited to see what this team can do this year if there's still a season! Time will tell.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Thorr said the law firm URI hired was the best at this in the country. Seems to be paying off.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Thorr said the law firm URI hired was the best at this in the country. Seems to be paying off.
Now lets see what they can do about Malik!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Any word on how good the twins look?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Any word on how good the twins look?
One thing I will say is that they look like they're in better shape than they were before.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Thorr said the law firm URI hired was the best at this in the country. Seems to be paying off.
The heavy hitter Rob Levine
6 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Love this series. DiSano does a nice job.
0 x