RIP Jim Norman

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

RIP Jim Norman

Unread post by Rhody74 »

One of the nicest guys you’d ever meet:
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Brian Forster
ARD

Re: RIP Jim Norman

Unread post by Brian Forster »

amen
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Grew up listening to him for the away football and men’s basketball games. Great guy! Heaven gained an angel
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You’d hope they’d name something for him, like the Jim Norman Press Row.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RIP 33 year career at URI you will be missed
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIP. Always a class act.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

More than anyone else, Jim Norman WAS URI.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Brian Forster
ARD

He deserved a better ending to his career at Rhody
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

...and for the entire ram basketball family...thanks for all those post games on 138.
0 x
Rhody123
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody123 »

Terrific guy. Saw him last when they had the Rhody Grand Team Ceremony. He told me how he had lobbied the NCAA to create a receiving category for Tight Ends in their record book so Brian Forster’s accomplishments wouldn’t be lumped in with all receivers as the tight end position was such a different kind of receiver and should be recognized as such. Jim Norman was a huge part of URI Athletics. R.I.P. Jim.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My family and I knew Jim very well.

He will be missed.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

No mention in the ProJo??
Amazing
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Sad to hear.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago No mention in the ProJo??
Amazing
It was in the Projo

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... basketball

The longtime voice of the URI Rams, Jim Norman, died last week in South Kingstown.
Norman was on the air for 34 years and called 1,286 straight football and men’s basketball games. He brought to listeners the exploits of such URI greats as Sly Williams, Tom Ehrhardt and Tom Garrick.
Norman was a mentor to student-athletes, journalism students wishing to break into broadcasting and athletics communication work, and to sportswriters and broadcasters around the country. He was also the school’s sports information director.
Born in Providence in 1935, he grew up in the South Kingstown village of Perryville and watched Rams basketball legend Ernie Calverley play in Rodman Hall on what was then the Rhode Island State College campus.
Norman was a 1957 URI graduate and, as a student, he worked as manager of the baseball team, editor of the student newspaper, manager of the radio station, and treasurer of the student senate, while also broadcasting basketball and football games on the college radio station.
His long career earned him induction to the Rhode Island Journalism Hall of Fame and the Rhode Island Broadcasters Hall of Fame. He was also a member of the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame, the Words Unlimited Hall of Fame, the Providence Gridiron Hall of Fame and the University of Rhode Island Athletic Hall of Fame. The Meade Stadium press box is dedicated in his honor and, in 1995, he was named by The Providence Journal as one of Rhode Island’s “Top 40 Most Influential Persons in Sports for the Past 40 Years.”
Besides Roberta Homan Norman, his wife of 61 years, Norman leaves his children, Laura Norman Wilkinson and her husband, Robert Steven Wilkinson, of Warwick, James Luther Norman and his wife, Carolyn Snow Norman, of Warwick, and David Whitford Norman of Kingston; his sister, Barbara Norman Fracassa of Snug Harbor; and several grandchildren.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Thank You
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Thank You
You are welcome.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I will never forget “subbing” for Don Kaull on a couple of radio broadcasts during a holiday tournament at Toledo. I told Jim radio work looked easy and he told me to show up later that evening. The first game of the doubleheader went to overtime and we had a ton of airtime to fill. Jim asked me a few questions and I quickly realized what a hard job it was! Jim was a true gentleman and got me through those two games, but I always apologized that he had to do play by play AND the color commentary as I was a deer in the headlights at times! Rest easy my friend!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What year was that Ram ??
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

It was November 2010, We beat College of Charleston and then Toledo. Crazy tournament. Drive by shooting (no deaths) at the team and my hotel. Got lost in Michigan with Bonzie Colson and Carl Koussa in one of the team vans looking for a nightclub and got pulled over with Bonzie driving. I tried to get Jim to join us but he was a smart man.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I've been wondering about this for quite awhile, does anyone have any old tapes of Rhody games (any sport) that they recorded off of the radio? I don't know if taping games like that was common but it's the sort of thing I did as a kid. I never heard Jim broadcast a game but it would definitely be cool to listen to one now.

If anyone has tapes of URI sports or really anything from old WRIU broadcasts it's pretty easy to record them to your computer and upload them online. I'd be willing to walk anybody interested through the process if you've got stuff like that and want to share/preserve it.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

My wife taped it but it was so bad I think I burned it. I will check. I did do a good interview with Al Skinner at the end of the first game where I asked him some strategy questions and he did the rest of the interview giving me the finger.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You said 2010 you have the dates right ?? Bonzie and Skinner were in the late 80s ??
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Bonzie May have been on the staff.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And IIRC Jim hadn’t done any games since 1990 or so.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

WOW, I AM GETTING F-ING OLD. Let's try this again! It was 12/27-28 1991! We beat Toledo 1st round. The Howard/NCA&T game went into OT, and the next night we played and beat NCA&T. Yes, Bonzie was on staff.
Sorry about this, but I went back and looked at the last time we played Toledo away and should have realized 2010 was almost 20 years before! I have been following this team WAY too long.
And yes, it was Jim Norman I did the game with. At least I got that right.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramtastico wrote: 3 years ago WOW, I AM GETTING F-ING OLD. Let's try this again! It was 12/27-28 1991! We beat Toledo 1st round. The Howard/NCA&T game went into OT, and the next night we played and beat NCA&T. Yes, Bonzie was on staff.
Sorry about this, but I went back and looked at the last time we played Toledo away and should have realized 2010 was almost 20 years before! I have been following this team WAY too long.
And yes, it was Jim Norman I did the game with. At least I got that right.
RIP Jim Norman. God bless the fact-checkers? :roll:
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Nice story....thanks for sharing Iggy!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !